If we get promoted...

Not that i'm counting my chickens but does it worry anyone that the team wouldn't be strong enough for the championship? We had 3 loan players start on Sat. Also with Jones, Budtz, and Ferreira as options we are a little bit thin on the ground for contracted players. Then you have to think Hughes is weighing his options up and someone might come in with a big offer for Taylor. I can't see TTA spending a great deal over the summer. Would promotion money be enough to strengthen the team or would we be relying on loans again?

Not that i'm counting my chickens but does it worry anyone that the team wouldn't be strong enough for the championship?

Definitely. I worry about players like Allott, Whittaker, Lomax, Stam and even Maher. They're all decent players at this level, but I suspect would be a fair way off the pace in the Championship. I think half of our regular starting XI would handle Championship footy, in some cases it would make them excel. It's clear our biggest problem seems to be motivation in crap atmospheres against uninspiring opposition, whereas give us a big crowd, decent opposition and odds against then we often do the business. So that'd be most weeks in the Championship then.

If you look at Blackpool and Barnsley, they both made a fair amount of changes to move out the dead wood and rode the transition very well. I think the Championship is in a funny period too, as teams that have lost their parachute payment are struggling to adapt to lower wages and cut their cloth. Charlton in particular have epitomised how formally well-run club models are finding it hard to adapt after the parachute money runs out. So it isn't really as cut and dried as assuming we'll fail miserably with the squad we've got. It could actually be a surprise to some and see us taking results when superior opposition underestimate us.

A great question, but I'd be much more comfortable answering this during the summer after a successful promotion campaign.

Not that i'm counting my chickens but does it worry anyone that the team wouldn't be strong enough for the championship? We had 3 loan players start on Sat. Also with Jones, Budtz, and Ferreira as options we are a little bit thin on the ground for contracted players. Then you have to think Hughes is weighing his options up and someone might come in with a big offer for Taylor. I can't see TTA spending a great deal over the summer. Would promotion money be enough to strengthen the team or would we be relying on loans again?

Won't happen anyway.

Remember next season, clubs in the Championship will receive a big payout from BBC as they start covering some of the matches live. Early estimate suggests just under £3 million per club.

Its my feeling that TTA will put more dosh in that perhaps some would expect IF we get into the championship.

Remember next season, clubs in the Championship will receive a big payout from BBC as they start covering some of the matches live. Early estimate suggests just under £3 million per club.

Would that be £2.2m from Sky + £3m from BBC?

If that's right, then we have a fair bit to strengthen the team. The only problem would be the ability to attract the right players when we can only offer a fraction of the wages that the bigger clubs can offer.

Would that be £2.2m from Sky + £3m from BBC?

If that's right, then we have a fair bit to strengthen the team. The only problem would be the ability to attract the right players when we can only offer a fraction of the wages that the bigger clubs can offer.

It's ok, cos in the Championship next season we could build our midfield around a certain ginger midfielder.

And no Wilson, stop flapping, I'm not talking about Taylor :wink:

If we go up, we'll be favourites to go back down. But then so were Stockport and look where they are. There will be more money available, but I for one hope that TTA don't gamble too much on trying to stay up. I'd rather come back down with finances intact ready for an immediate attempt to return, than spend a fortune and risk coming down a ruined club.

I don't think the step up is as big as some people make out. At least most teams in the championship would be regarded as 'bigger' clubs which we play better against. Being in the Championship would give us so much more to play for rather than making up the numbers for another year with a small hope of promotion.

TTA have shown this season they are willing to put their hands in their pockets to give us a chance of promotion. Investing more money into the club to keep us in the championship if we are promoted is a bit of a no brainer considering the money they are willing to 'gamble' on getting us there in the first place.

If we go up, we'll be favourites to go back down. But then so were Stockport and look where they are. There will be more money available, but I for one hope that TTA don't gamble too much on trying to stay up. I'd rather come back down with finances intact ready for an immediate attempt to return, than spend a fortune and risk coming down a ruined club.

TTA aren't stupid and realise we have to stay in the championship if we get there....I reckon (without being stupid) they would fund 'a what ever it takes' (within reason) approach to staying up!

A lot will depend on the reaction of the Oldham public in the way of season tickets!!!

If we go up and want to stay there then we as fans have to put our hands in our pockets too and buy season tickets, club tat..etc..

The money mentioned above is irrelevant as all the clubs get it and there are only so many Championship quality players to go round and all the clubs will be chasing the same players. To really have the edge it would take more than £3m.

i think the crowd levels will be important. looked at the crowds in the championship games the other week. and the lowest was burnley with 12500.

will we be able to interest that many to turn out.?????mmmmmmmmmm. :unsure:

TTA aren't stupid and realise we have to stay in the championship if we get there....I reckon (without being stupid) they would fund 'a what ever it takes' (within reason) approach to staying up!

A lot will depend on the reaction of the Oldham public in the way of season tickets!!!

could be interesting next season if we do get up there....micah richards is being touted out of city,villa apparently are coming back with a much improved offer,so as well as any possible tv money,we could have ou 20% cash as well....which could fund some decent players coming in.

add to that the chance of paul scholes joining,could have a good effect regarding season tickets etc etc...

im not worried about fielding loan players..its the way of the world these days...we have to get used to it...that said i think we may have first dibs on danny jones,he doesnt fit in at wolves and if they go to premiership it could be our gain.

we would have to strenghen,defence and midfield particulary,and also strikers,hughes wants to play at a higher level...but hes not ripping up tree again at the moment and more than likely will be off.

tta know what we can and cant afford,go up and survive for a few years before pushing on again.

half the team will step up and improve.

half won't and will be replaced by better players, better players than we'd attract in League 1, loan signings or permanent.

if it works we stay up, if it works really well we challenge for promotion to the prem. if it doesn't we go down.

easy this football management lark innit?

also, there always seems to be a promoted side that challenges for/ goes up to the premier league straight away and that always seems to be the "smaller" club that got promoted, eg Bristol City rather than the "big" club, eg Forest.

i've always thought we're the type of team that will do this once we get up, especially under Shez.

also, there always seems to be a promoted side that challenges for/ goes up to the premier league straight away and that always seems to be the "smaller" club that got promoted, eg Bristol City rather than the "big" club, eg Forest.

i've always thought we're the type of team that will do this once we get up, especially under Shez.

dont want to piss on your parade so to speak...but going up then challenging for the prem is a bit of a step too far imo.

you need sustainability,get a foot hold before you go gung ho for the greedy league,otherwise you end up with egg on your face back to back relegations and back to where we are now.....

dont want to piss on your parade so to speak...but going up then challenging for the prem is a bit of a step too far imo.

you need sustainability,get a foot hold before you go gung ho for the greedy league,otherwise you end up with egg on your face back to back relegations and back to where we are now.....

good point.

what was I thinking? :unsure:

Edited by dfOAFC

good point.

what was I thinking? :unsure:

there is no harm thinking it,im not saying that.

but if we go up its gonna cost a bit to be able to bring in the right players to keep us there,have tta got that kind of cash to throw at the club in a higher division??? im sure a decent budget would be given,but would it be enough.

then can you imagine for one moment the kind of cash needed to stay in the premier league,yes you get tv money,but your talking mega investment other wise you just stay in bottom 3 all season getting hammered by other teams thinking..oh well,least we get a parachute payment.