old guys needed!

Being only 19 i was 2/3yrs old when we had our big glory promotion with big joe but ive seen all the old videos etc and know all about the past via my family. Im winding the trannies up on their cowshed board and after i said ' a hoofball merchant vs a proper football manager, hughes and royle gonna get ya ronnie' they retorted with the wind up that royle was a hoofball merchant at everton/city. Complete tosh as i saw a few games during his city days and they played decent stuff then.

what was/is royles style.

cheers guys.

back from uni in sheffield for the big game - and it just had to be vs ronnie didnt it lol

JOE ROYLE'S BARMY ARMY!!

Taylor must be neeing an oxygen cylinder as well..!

Being only 19 i was 2/3yrs old when we had our big glory promotion with big joe but ive seen all the old videos etc and know all about the past via my family. Im winding the trannies up on their cowshed board and after i said ' a hoofball merchant vs a proper football manager, hughes and royle gonna get ya ronnie'

Gee thanks ... means we'll have to put up with some more dippers taking crap on here like Sunday.

Being only 19 i was 2/3yrs old when we had our big glory promotion with big joe but ive seen all the old videos etc and know all about the past via my family. Im winding the trannies up on their cowshed board and after i said ' a hoofball merchant vs a proper football manager, hughes and royle gonna get ya ronnie' they retorted with the wind up that royle was a hoofball merchant at everton/city. Complete tosh as i saw a few games during his city days and they played decent stuff then.

cheers guys.

back from uni in sheffield for the big game - and it just had to be vs ronnie didnt it lol

JOE ROYLE'S BARMY ARMY!!

it seems bizarre that there are oldham fans for whom Royle was before their time!

seems like yesterday

makes me feel so old - I'm 33 :lol:

5 up front and if we're still not winning, both centre halves can join 'em as well...

Oh and 2 'Proper' wingers and 2 'proper' centre forwards.. :jester:

and thats in acup semi first leg 3 at the back 2 in "midfield " ? 5 up front = 6-0 stuffing of the "ammers " happy happy days

and 43 isnt old its just a number lol

Makes me feel old and Im only 28 and still have all my own teeth look.... :grin:

Same here, can't believe it's 15 years since he left....

As for Royle playing hoofball at everton/city, don't remember what city were like but his Everton side were known for their 'Dogs of War' tactics (a tag which he hated) rather than for playing route 1.He took them from narrowly avoiding relegation to winning the FA Cup and playing in Europe for the first time in a decade. What counts is what works.

cheers guys.

JOE ROYLE'S BARMY ARMY!!

There is a slight hoofball natures to Joe's style.......... he likes to get the ball forward early and play all the pretty football in the opposing teams half.

BUT! There is a massive difference in Joe's style compared to Rotten Ronnie's, it's very rare to see a mind numbingly boring game like we suffered with Ronnie most of the time (including victories!!) when Joe's in charge. If we're not winning he will throw everybody up front...... and I mean everyone :grin:

Just imagine Brazil in 1970..... :wink:

Whaddya mean old? Jesus! I clearly remember our '73 promotion but I'm far from old!!!

I can still chase the meals on wheels girl and empty my own commode you know.....

i wonder if anyone on here was at joe's first match ,when he became the boss it was a friendly at macccesfield which latics won 2-0,still got the photo's of him on the pitch when latics fans invaded it at half time

Bob they must be worth 5 minutes scanning in and posting on here.... :D

The wings are the key, 2 grafting midfielders, 2 big old centre halfs, 2 full backs who will run themselves into the ground and 2 solid strikers!

Its sound simple and to be honest with what we had in the early 90's it was, the amount of times we were so gung-ho we got battered but sneaked a win was brilliant.

Nobody was ready for us in the 1st Div/Prem as Chelsea, Arsenal et al, found out.

All we can do is hope that he kicks the big headedness out of the dressing room, because i dont remember 1 player back the the Royle era having a big head!

Well apart from Ricky Holden wearing a keeper shirt just after we signed John Keeley, and everyone shouting "Keeley, Keeley, Keeley" only for rick to show us his new bald head!

Bring on the good times!

The wings are the key, 2 grafting midfielders, 2 big old centre halfs, 2 full backs who will run themselves into the ground and 2 solid strikers!

Its sound simple and to be honest with what we had in the early 90's it was, the amount of times we were so gung-ho we got battered but sneaked a win was brilliant.

Nobody was ready for us in the 1st Div/Prem as Chelsea, Arsenal et al, found out.

All we can do is hope that he kicks the big headedness out of the dressing room, because i dont remember 1 player back the the Royle era having a big head!

Well apart from Ricky Holden wearing a keeper shirt just after we signed John Keeley, and everyone shouting "Keeley, Keeley, Keeley" only for rick to show us his new bald head!

Bring on the good times!

Not sure Jobbo would appreciate that !

cheers guys.

JOE ROYLE'S BARMY ARMY!!

He resorted to long ball tactics when we got into the top flight. Due to our lack of cash and inability to attract the better midfield players, Joe resorted to using two battling midfield players to get the ball and move it out to the wings or forwards as quickly as possible. The motto was simply to score more goals than the oppsition.