Joe must go

If Joe gets us to the play offs, that will be remarkable.

If he gets us to Wembley, that will be a miracle.

If he gets us to the Championship then it is truly the 'second coming' - I live in hope.

What he must not do is stay if these things do not come to pass, because he will surely end up leaving the club under a cloud and, for what he has done for the club in the past, he does not deserve that.

Joe now probably realises the size of the task in front of him, and if he is wise he will say goodbye at the end of the season.

In the meantime let's hope it is a 'second coming'.

i dont agree at all.

Yes he has achieved great success in the past, but this was not just with us but with everton, city and ipswich (whilst in admin)

Joe is a good all round manager. The good thing is that almost all the squad are out of contract in june. This makes it more appealing to stay. The current plight is in no way down to him so whatever happens it will be down to the players to decide our fate.

He had success with us 15yrs ago, more if you go back to 91/92. Times have changed. Joe will/would take on the job not based on past glories but on what can be realistically done in the future - hes too big a man to do the job just for sentiment.

If he wants to have another go with us next year if we dont get up then thats his choice. If he doesnt then we say thanks and move on, his legendary status intact. If he does take on the job and again we fail to make it up, say via playoffs again, then his past achievements wont be tarnished, itd just go down as second time wasnt as good - he wouldnt live or die by getting/not getting us up 2nd time around, it wouldnt make his past achievements worthless.

Its up to Joe, either way it'll be down to him, if hes up for it for next year ill back him all the way, you at least know your team will put effort in every game come what may.

If he gets us to the Championship then it is truly the 'second coming' - I live in hope.

What he must not do is stay if these things do not come to pass, because he will surely end up leaving the club under a cloud and, for what he has done for the club in the past, he does not deserve that.

Joe now probably realises the size of the task in front of him, and if he is wise he will say goodbye at the end of the season.

i agree regretably

i agree regretably

I don't give a toss if Royle loses some of his magic by staying on next season in league one, thats the past. Does it matter for the future of Oldham Athletic if Joe Royle has his first spell with us tarnished? Not at all, its a gamble well worth taking for both parties.

All I care about is 'is Joe Royle the best man to get us up next season?' I think he is.

Would we be able to attract a manager who has won the FA cup, been to a league cup final, FA semis, won promotions, won leagues, has contacts all over the country and managed in Europe? No, we'd end up with someone who hasn't really done anything anywhere near as impressive ala Moore, Sheridan and Talbot.

Edited by ritchie82

your crystal ball is rubbish, get a new one.

if we dont go up this season,which is looking less likely by each game,it wont be because joe royle isnt good enough...it will be because once again we got ourselfs into a decent position,then shot our self in the foot with players that couldnt really give a toss about this club,just there own self importance and whether they could hack it again in the championship.

if next season we are in this league,you assess who could get us out of it...will it be joe or someone else,like gannon for example.

what ever happens next season is a blank canvass,players out of contract so those we have all moaned about over this season will go,joe will already know he has a group of gutless unfit mediocre players who are just going through the motions and taking a wage,with the exception of one or 3 players.

he would have an oppertunity to start afresh,with his own players,his kind of players who play his kind of football,he would be able to bring in his own backroom team,where at the moment he is stuck with wright n dux,he will have a chance to stamp his own mark on things once again.

his experiance and quality and eye for a bargain is hard to find in this modern era of football where its all boom and bust and instant success

if he is the right man for the job then as far as im concerned the job is his.

I don't give a toss if Royle loses some of his magic by staying on next season in league one, thats the past. Does it matter for the future of Oldham Athletic if Joe Royle has his first spell with us tarnished? Not at all, its a gamble well worth taking for both parties.

All I care about is 'is Joe Royle the best man to get us up next season?' I think he is.

Would we be able to attract a manager who has won the FA cup, been to a league cup final, FA semis, won promotions, won leagues, has contacts all over the country and managed in Europe? No, we'd end up with someone who hasn't really done anything anywhere near as impressive ala Moore, Sheridan and Talbot.

sorry considering what you say changes my opinion in a way

If he doesent take us up he should go and keep his reputation intact - Are you mad!!!!!!

He could relegate us to the conference and JR would still go down as a ledgend, a demi god!!! Get a grip man

Most of us have rationalised that Joe has taken on an inept squad that does not function in any way shape or form to how he wants it to.

I have no doubts that even now SC and AH are talking to Joe about next season and anxious to get him to sign a 3 maybe 4 year contract - I am also confident that JR is already planning for the future, what he wants and how he aims to achieve it.

I agree with the poster that said in effect if not Joe then who will take us forward. Lets put this to bed and accept that there is NO ONE who would have his heart in the club nor has the credentials to get us out of this division except the big man himself.

I personally like many would be absolutley gutted if Joe did not start the season as Manager of Oldham Athletic. I think if he does then stand by for mega changes in the way we play and there will no doubt be many new faces.

There is still a glimmer this season of the play offs but I for one would be happy to write this season off if it meant Joe was focussing on the long term future of OAFC and the establishment of a new order

If he doesent take us up he should go and keep his reputation intact - Are you mad!!!!!!

He could relegate us to the conference and JR would still go down as a ledgend, a demi god!!! Get a grip man

Most of us have rationalised that Joe has taken on an inept squad that does not function in any way shape or form to how he wants it to.

I have no doubts that even now SC and AH are talking to Joe about next season and anxious to get him to sign a 3 maybe 4 year contract - I am also confident that JR is already planning for the future, what he wants and how he aims to achieve it.

I agree with the poster that said in effect if not Joe then who will take us forward. Lets put this to bed and accept that there is NO ONE who would have his heart in the club nor has the credentials to get us out of this division except the big man himself.

I personally like many would be absolutley gutted if Joe did not start the season as Manager of Oldham Athletic. I think if he does then stand by for mega changes in the way we play and there will no doubt be many new faces.

There is still a glimmer this season of the play offs but I for one would be happy to write this season off if it meant Joe was focussing on the long term future of OAFC and the establishment of a new order

yep..... :deal2:

totally agree, he's still a class manager, let him try and get us out of this league next season if we fail to do so this time around.

Starting to sound more like Newcastle fans every day.

The question is would Joe want to stay on as manager next season?

I hope he does and he rebuilds the team from the ground up keeping some of the experienced players to add stability

We have the makings of a good young side no matter who we have in charge next season

My personal preference would be for Joe to stay on for another few years to hopefully get us back into the championship

I get criticised for keep saying the same thing. So here goes again, for the third time, I'll remind readers that Joe said he only took the job because there was a possibility of a trip to Wembley. Otherwise he would not have been interested. Therefore he would not be interested in building our promising young players into a team capable of promotion from the Third Division.

If we are not in the Champiionship by the end of the Play-off Final Joe will wave farewell to Latics, and continue being a supporter of the Club.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I get criticised for keep saying the same thing. So here goes again, for the third time, I'll remind readers that Joe said he only took the job because there was a possibility of a trip to Wembley. Otherwise he would not have been interested. Therefore he would not be interested in building our promising young players into a team capable of promotion from the Third Division.

If we are not in the Champiionship by the end of the Play-off Final Joe will wave farewell to Latics, and continue being a supporter of the Club.

Even though he went for the Huddersfield job and didn't even get a response? Are they not in the same league as us?

Edited by ritchie82

I think and hope that there is every chance that Joe will stay, there are one or two hints that he will in some of the things he is saying, and the type of players he has brought in so far.

One such factor could be that he is about to become a grandad very soon, now I dont think he is going to want to take a job miles away when he can have this one on the doorstep to his grandchild.

Of course there are very good football reasons for him wanting to stay as well, a team playing well under Joe Royle is going to attract more fans to BP than any other manager. And Like Eddie alluded to his credentials are impeccable.

At what point in any of his interviews has he said anything like "I only took the job for a trip to Wembley" ??

He clearly said that as soon as he was asked he said yes straight away as Oldham are the club he loves and has shared so many memories with...

When asked if he will be staying on...his replies are very positive in that he will, but doesn't actually say a definate yes as he knows he has only been asked to finish off our season.

I don't see how you can be so sure that he won't be manager next season when you clearly have no solid evidence of him saying so.

At what point in any of his interviews has he said anything like "I only took the job for a trip to Wembley" ??

He clearly said that as soon as he was asked he said yes straight away as Oldham are the club he loves and has shared so many memories with...

When asked if he will be staying on...his replies are very positive in that he will, but doesn't actually say a definate yes as he knows he has only been asked to finish off our season.

I don't see how you can be so sure that he won't be manager next season when you clearly have no solid evidence of him saying so.

The rarely wrong Chron quoted from Joe's press conference after being appointed.

I have been thrown an opportunity to be at Wembley in May which is fantastic. It was an easy decision to make. This club has always been very special to me.”

ATHLETIC’S position in the Coca-Cola League One promotion race was instrumental in Joe Royle’s decision to return to Boundary Park.

The 59-year-old, manager during the most successful chapter in the club’s history, admitted he would not have taken the post had Athletic not been challenging for the play-offs.

"I don't think there would have been much point at this stage of my career," he conceded.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-couldnt-refuse

The rarely wrong Chron quoted from Joe's press conference after being appointed.

I have been thrown an opportunity to be at Wembley in May which is fantastic. It was an easy decision to make. This club has always been very special to me.”

ATHLETIC’S position in the Coca-Cola League One promotion race was instrumental in Joe Royle’s decision to return to Boundary Park.

The 59-year-old, manager during the most successful chapter in the club’s history, admitted he would not have taken the post had Athletic not been challenging for the play-offs.

"I don't think there would have been much point at this stage of my career," he conceded.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-couldnt-refuse

Aye words do not lie diego but this statement was before he got back into the swing of everyday management. Imo from what Joe is saying now, and the body language he is displaying in recent interviews, he wants to give football management one last crack. Who better than his beloved Oldham??? :grin:

Edited by laticsmad

He also keeps saying things like "Who know's" "At the moment it's till the end of the season" and today he said "Nothing wrong with building for the future whether I'm here for 7 games, 7 months or 7 years" and as he stated himself when he returned. He was onlly ever here on a 12 months contract the first time round! The point is he has never ruled out a longer stay and I think from all the sense he has spoken since returning, forget the sentiment he is one of the best choices we could make for next season!