Who's In - Who's Out

If my profile browsing is correct:

Out of contract: Bell, Crossley, Stam, Gregan, Kalala, Allott, Maher, Wolfenden, Liddell, Hughes

In contract: Fleming, Lomax, Eardley, Hazell, Black, Whitaker, Lee, Stephens, Taylor, Alessandra, Smalley, O'Grady

Out of the out of contract players i would keep stam and allott, possibly crossley as a player/coach but the rest can go.

Of the contracted bunch i would try to move eardley on if anyone wants him, he's gone backwards not forwards since breaking into the team - that isnt an eardley bashing rant it is a plain fact. Also move Whitaker on, despite his 2 decent shifts recently over the season he has been league 2 gash at best.

of our loans i would try for jones permanently or on a year loan for next year and would keep westlake, Ferreira and supple if possible.

That would leave us with

GK: Fleming/Supple(or Crossley)

RB: Lomax/?

CB: Stam/Hazell/?/?

LB: Jones or (?)/Black

RW: Smalley/Ferreira

CM: ?/Allott/Lee/Stephens/Westlake

LW: Taylor/Westlake (can play there if needs be)/?

ST: Alessandra/O'Grady/?/?

that would leave us needing possibly 1 RB, 2 CB, 1 LB, 1 CM, 1 LW, 2 ST = 8 new players = 23 man squad (wages the same if TTA stick to same budget or if cut then younger players will be cheaper giving us the squad).

Think on paper the above midfield would have enough quality, with the addition of another decent midfielder we'd have enough legs with Lee and Stephens and a bit of creativity from Lee. Alott and Westlake as the more defensive runners.

Looks pretty good to me that squad, with the right additions we'll have a youthful, exciting and skilfull squad.

Thoughts?

With contracts up at the end of the season, surely the TTA should be looking at who to bring in next season. Either tell JR hes permanent beyond this season and allow him to get the players in, or line up the new manager and put the wheels in motion with them. Whos out of contract that would interest us. We need Championship class players coming in. Players like Mark Allott and Reuben hazell may be good players but they arent Championship class, and are hardly the sort of players who will be involved in a League 1 title lifting side. Get rid of the baggage.

Edited by youngen

With contracts up at the end of the season, surely the TTA should be looking at who to bring in next season. Either tell JR hes permanent beyond this season and allow him to get the players in, or line up the new manager and put the wheels in motion with them. Whos out of contract that would interest us. We need Championship class players coming in. Players like Mark Allott and Reuben hazell may be good players but they arent Championship class, and are hardly the sort of players who will be involved in a League 1 title lifting side. Get rid of the baggage.

People have been raving about Rubes for most of the season...he has just signed a new 2/3 year deal to everyone's delight and now suddenly, he's surplus to requirements!!!!

Baffling**??!?

People have been raving about Rubes for most of the season...he has just signed a new 2/3 year deal to everyone's delight and now suddenly, he's surplus to requirements!!!!

Baffling**??!?

Dont get me wrong I do think he is a good player, but hes not championship material, to many lapses in concentration, as is what happens with most of the squad we have. Noway will we go up with players like Hazell in the team. They are decent League 1 at best, nowhere near good enough for where we want to be. Which says a lot considering Hazell and Allott have probably been 2 of our better players over the last 2 years.

Dont get me wrong I do think he is a good player, but hes not championship material, to many lapses in concentration, as is what happens with most of the squad we have. Noway will we go up with players like Hazell in the team. They are decent League 1 at best, nowhere near good enough for where we want to be. Which says a lot considering Hazell and Allott have probably been 2 of our better players over the last 2 years.

Yes i agree, ive have them in my squad but probably put on of the other CB's we get in in front of him, hes decent enough cover, same with allott. Westlake and Lee or another in CM sounds good.

That would leave us with

GK: Fleming/Supple(or Crossley)

RB: Lomax/?

CB: Stam/Hazell/?/?

LB: Jones or (?)/Black

RW: Smalley/Ferreira

CM: ?/Allott/Lee/Stephens/Westlake

LW: Taylor/Westlake (can play there if needs be)/?

ST: Alessandra/O'Grady/?/?

that would leave us needing possibly 1 RB, 2 CB, 1 LB, 1 CM, 1 LW, 2 ST = 8 new players = 23 man squad (wages the same if TTA stick to same budget or if cut then younger players will be cheaper giving us the squad).

Think on paper the above midfield would have enough quality, with the addition of another decent midfielder we'd have enough legs with Lee and Stephens and a bit of creativity from Lee. Alott and Westlake as the more defensive runners.

Looks pretty good to me that squad, with the right additions we'll have a youthful, exciting and skilfull squad.

Thoughts?

I would be quite worried next season, if that was the base of our team tbh.

Midfield enough quality? how? we've hardly seen Lee, We haven't seen Stephens, Allot is another year older and Westlake - dunno yet?

Unless he (whoever!?) made some bloody good signings.. :wink:

I think I would give Gregan another season. Haven't seen much other than LW highlights, but I believe he has been pretty solid most of the season and Joe seems impressed. I agree it's probably time for Liddell to retire, but do you think Maher should stay.

I wouldn't worry about Maher, Lee and Stephens appear to be the answer to all our problems, even though they've only played about 3 first team games between them. <_<

There seems to be something of baby and bathwater about this. Now we are going through the easily predictable turmoil of changing a manager at the wrong time, a lot seem willing to ditch the whole of a largely good squad. Alright, they aren't world beaters, but I hardly think we need to see out one of the players of the season this season nor the unanimous player of the season last season.

To me we would be best off losing: Crossley (time is up now), Stam (still not good enough), Kalala, Maher (we only need one, so it's him or Allott), Wolfy (at last), Liddell (time to go and play in the non-league) and Hughes. If possible whitaker and maybe O'Grady if anyone wants them.

Now that is still a large amount, but in these times this is probably a good thing. Wages are going to plummet this summer, due to finances across the game. The more you can get out/new lower contracts the better in some ways.

There seems to be something of baby and bathwater about this. Now we are going through the easily predictable turmoil of changing a manager at the wrong time, a lot seem willing to ditch the whole of a largely good squad. Alright, they aren't world beaters, but I hardly think we need to see out one of the players of the season this season nor the unanimous player of the season last season.

To me we would be best off losing: Crossley (time is up now), Stam (still not good enough), Kalala, Maher (we only need one, so it's him or Allott), Wolfy (at last), Liddell (time to go and play in the non-league) and Hughes. If possible whitaker and maybe O'Grady if anyone wants them.

Now that is still a large amount, but in these times this is probably a good thing. Wages are going to plummet this summer, due to finances across the game. The more you can get out/new lower contracts the better in some ways.

Very good post and I totally agree...

Controversial, but I'd keep Maher ahead of Allott.

Suspect he's had his "big contract year" and will return south though.

Then again, a complete rethink is needed in midfield.

Good players individually, but as a team we've been very weak through the middle.

Edited by opinions4u

We are still absolutely desperate for a creative Wellens type midfield player, Allott and Maher are the same type of player, neither of them is creative enough.

They are both decent players but are effective at breaking up opposing attacks rather than producing a killer ball to unlock an opposing defence.

Difficult decisions to be made regarding the central defenders, Hazell has just signed a new deal but his current form is alarmingly poor at the moment.

Many still feel Gregan is getting too old and slow despite all of his MoM appearances :huh: , I think he will get another 12 month contract.

Stam I think maybe released.

If my profile browsing is correct:

Out of contract: Bell, Crossley, Stam, Gregan, Kalala, Allott, Maher, Wolfenden, Liddell, Hughes

In contract: Fleming, Lomax, Eardley, Hazell, Black, Whitaker, Lee, Stephens, Taylor, Alessandra, Smalley, O'Grady

Looks pretty good to me that squad, with the right additions we'll have a youthful, exciting and skilfull

squad.

Thoughts?

The out of contract-ers i'd offer new 1 year deals to:

Stam

Gregan

Maher

The rest can go for a free with thanks (yes; even JP gets thanks!!!!!)

Of the contracted players i want to see COG given a shot here; not given away / sold as some appear to want. Done nothing wrong in his limited outings & offers something different to all the other strikers in terms of physique & hold up / link play.

Black at left back might be worth a punt - did ok on his cameos last season.

As for Lee & Stephens & everyones clammer to get them as the CM 2 next year; apart from Lee's 2 games around Xmas they've not featured. Now; for whatever reason (not actually good enough / good enough but awful trainers / attitidue problems / face just doesn't fit.....et all) that surely can't be enough to rate them above others & for them to be our next season saviours can it??

Allott is a tough one; was a revalation in his first season & rightly swept the boards in terms of playing awards, but this term he's been very very in & out; not just between games but during games too. For every Leicester & Hudds away, there are Yeovil at home & Hereford away to throw in too. I know that it applicable to many of our players; and its that level of inconsistency that has let us down - but i feel that Allott's season has exposed a few short-comings that were papered over last season. Maher offers more creative elements to his CM game than Allott does (set piece delivery; through balls down the channels / centre etc) whilst still retaining the defencive facites that are needed at this level. Whilst Allott can draw on the Chesterfield captaincy for a couple of seasons & occasional arm-band wearing for us too, Maher has 10 years of leadership in the bank. We're going to need all that & more next season if its a predominately kids side we turn out.

We're going to have be brutal (we'll, the manager; whoever that turns out to be is) & between Allott & Maher; i'd plump for Maher.

Some tough; tough decisions to be made this pre-season!

Edited by slystallone

Isn't Jones firmly under contract at Wolves?

You'd suspect if they aren't wanting to get rid of him, they might be wanting to loan him up a level next season.

And will Taylor still be here next season? I would think someone may come a knockin'...

Edit: Can't spell 'at'.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

The out of contract-ers i'd offer new 1 year deals to:

Stam

Gregan

Maher

The rest can go for a free with thanks (yes; even JP gets thanks!!!!!)

Of the contracted players i want to see COG given a shot here; not given away / sold as some appear to want. Done nothing wrong in his limited outings & offers something different to all the other strikers in terms of physique & hold up / link play.

Black at left back might be worth a punt - did ok on his cameos last season.

As for Lee & Stephens & everyones clammer to get them as the CM 2 next year; apart from Lee's 2 games around Xmas they've not featured. Now; for whatever reason (not actually good enough / good enough but awful trainers / attitidue problems / face just doesn't fit.....et all) that surely can't be enough to rate them above others & for them to be our next season saviours can it??

Allott is a tough one; was a revalation in his first season & rightly swept the boards in terms of playing awards, but this term he's been very very in & out; not just between games but during games too. For every Leicester & Hudds away, there are Yeovil at home & Hereford away to throw in too. I know that it applicable to many of our players; and its that level of inconsistency that has let us down - but i feel that Allott's season has exposed a few short-comings that were papered over last season. Maher offers more creative elements to his CM game than Allott does (set piece delivery; through balls down the channels / centre etc) whilst still retaining the defencive facites that are needed at this level. Whilst Allott can draw on the Chesterfield captaincy for a couple of seasons & occasional arm-band wearing for us too, Maher has 10 years of leadership in the bank. We're going to need all that & more next season if its a predominately kids side we turn out.

We're going to have be brutal (we'll, the manager; whoever that turns out to be is) & between Allott & Maher; i'd plump for Maher.

Some tough; tough decisions to be made this pre-season!

COG will be right up Joe's street, big fella who's tough to get the ball from.

Fleming

Eardley hazel Stam Black

Whits Lee

Smalley Allesandra Taylor

O grady

Crossley

Lomax

Stephens

Eaves

Defender (hazel)

Looking at our players who are definately here next season, we have a basis of a decent team to challenge for play offs (not sure on black or lee as haven't really seen either although lomax could do a job at LB). We need to keep a CB (my preference would be stam as i see gregans pace as too costly despite his other good points, we would have height for corners with this team in COG, smalley and taylor and therefore we don't have to rely on big centre half) and to sign a CB (would love trotman to come on loan). I would keep crossley if royle (if here) wanted him as a coach (past it as a player, but can do a job off the bench as a temp replacement).

I think a squad of 18-20 tops should be the most in this economic climate, with youth players / temp loans filling in if we have injuries, as i can see crowds diminishing next season.

I doubt very much that Jones will be here next season. He signed a new contract at Wolves before he joined us. However if they get promoted, he may well be offload for a fee, which I doubt we would pay. Ferriera (if that how his name is spelt) may well be available, but having not seen him play I don't know if he's good enough or not. If Gregan can get his off field distractions sorted out he is worth another season, and Stam is definitely worth another season if he wishes to stay. As I said on another post, there will be a glut of players looking for new clubs next year due to the financial climate. Most clubs will be operating on reduced squads and depending on the loan market when required.