Looking forward...

Its going to be interesting to see how things pan out over the summer. I fully expect season tickets sales to be well down, a massively reduced budget and a forced clear out in the summer (due to the budget). Part of this clear out will no doubt see players like Taylor leave. We are going to be a team in transition.

Considering these new constraints I think we will find ourselves living within is going to require a change in attitude from our supporters and the board. We first of all need to make the right appointment. We then need to back this guy for sustained period of time. I hold no hopes of getting out this league for another 3 or four years to be frank. We need to give someone enough time to slowly build a squad back up. Dowie and Sheridan could not do it with reasonable to big budgets... Dont expect a new guy to work a miracles off a small budget...

In reality I think the management position at our place is now a very poisoned chalice... The fans want out of this division but we wont have the resources to achieve it any time soon. That is going to be hard situation to work in.

If I was Joe, I would run a mile.... That said, if we are prepared to back him and wait while he sorts it out, could take ages, then I really hope he is prepared to stay...

I do fear we will continue this merry-go-round of crap appointments / itchy trigger finger ( and thats aimed at the fans as much as the board)...

All depends who is brought in (players wise). I know that's stating the obvious, but that's what makes good managers. It's then down to the tactics deployed and the coaching of the style. I hope BFJ was watching the JPT yesterday as Keane for Luton was right up Joe's street for the battling up and down grafter in midfield. There's one for the new look all battling effort team!

Providing the lads out on the park battle and show effort for the blue cause, Latics fans will respond in kind.

All depends who is brought in (players wise). I know that's stating the obvious, but that's what makes good managers. It's then down to the tactics deployed and the coaching of the style.

Well its a combination of things I would say...

It first of all about who they bring in (as you said)... This one has to be viewed with the budget in mind of course... I think Kaka is happy where he is for example...and we will be scraping the barell with loans / free transfers...

Its then about how much the manager adds to these players... Its harder down at our level as the manager is going to get an extra 20% out of the player if we are going to be successful... This comes from right team selection / tactics / training / motivation etc...

Its got little to do with overall league position to be frank... Unless people want rabbits out of hats...

Edited by oafc0000

Its going to be interesting to see how things pan out over the summer. I fully expect season tickets sales to be well down, a massively reduced budget and a forced clear out in the summer (due to the budget). Part of this clear out will no doubt see players like Taylor leave. We are going to be a team in transition.

Considering these new constraints I think we will find ourselves living within is going to require a change in attitude from our supporters and the board. We first of all need to make the right appointment. We then need to back this guy for sustained period of time. I hold no hopes of getting out this league for another 3 or four years to be frank. We need to give someone enough time to slowly build a squad back up. Dowie and Sheridan could not do it with reasonable to big budgets... Dont expect a new guy to work a miracles off a small budget...

In reality I think the management position at our place is now a very poisoned chalice... The fans want out of this division but we wont have the resources to achieve it any time soon. That is going to be hard situation to work in.

If I was Joe, I would run a mile.... That said, if we are prepared to back him and wait while he sorts it out, could take ages, then I really hope he is prepared to stay...

I do fear we will continue this merry-go-round of crap appointments / itchy trigger finger ( and thats aimed at the fans as much as the board)...

I agree with all these points except I would say that I don't think the reduced budget will have a massive impact as all the clubs in our division will suffer the same (except for Leeds when they don't go up :grin: ).

Isn't that just football in general concerning the fans these days? Fans have more power to influence decisions now than ever before given the mutitude of formats they can have their say on.

I think you're fairly spot on in that assessment but I certainly wouldn't rule out another promotion push next season on a reduced budget. It just depends on the man in charge and how he settles in. Even though I'm loathe to admit it, I kind of half hope that Leeds get up through the play offs because it could get rid of the last of the big budgets from this division. The teams coming down are more than likely to be clubs in crisis, and the teams coming up aren't nouveux-riche either which pretty much (assuming Peterborough march onto promotion as expected) leaves the teams left in the play-offs as the likely favourites next season. If that's the case, there certainly ain't much to be feared of.

The cash injection from Wardle could be nicely timed over this summer methinks.

I'm aware of them. Did they do a poll to decide the outcome of a manager's future though?

Not yet... But thats one of the reasons to be a member... Everything decision is taken via polls... A decision to sack the manager or not will come via a vote from the Membership...

Edited by oafc0000

Not yet... But thats one of the reasons to be a member... Everything decision is taken via polls... A decision to sack the manager or not will come via a vote from the Membership...

Whilst on the subject...very interesting article in WSC this month on Ebbsfleet and MyFC. Can't find it online but have it to hand, these were the main points...

• On the one year anniversary of the takeover, membership has dropped from 32k to 10k.
  • Many fans had signed up believing they would be able to pick the team, but this option wasn't actually initially available. Only earlier this season did a poll be set up to decided whether they, or manager Liam Daish, should pick the team.
  • Of the 32k members, only 18,112 voted on the takeover of Ebbsfleet itself - the most important vote in MyFC's short history.
  • 7,452 voted on transfer of John Akinde.
  • 6,757 voted on ST prices (which were frozen).
  • Just 3,000 voted on the signing of Darius Charles.
  • Members came close to picking the team for the postponed game against Wrexham in January. Difference was just 38 votes in favour of Daish, but only 492 voted. That is to say, that only 1.6% of the membership cared enough to vote on one of the key selling points of the website.
  • MyFC owner, Will Brooks, claimed the project needed 15-20k members to keep it on track. By end of February, just 9,500 members...though 4,300 of those joined up post-Feb 2008 or signed up for a year prior, so their money would have already been spent.
  • Future of Ebbsfleet unclear - MyFC are 343k short of total they'd hoped for, but should be enough to get them through the season. After that, part-time status is probablity, assuming the website doesn't cut its losses and sell up.

'And in the middle of this are the Ebbsfleet fans who didn't ask for the takeover and haven't joined the scheme. If Ebbsfleet come unstuck due to MyFC, it's this group who will have to pick up the pieces'.
Edited by jsslatic

Whilst on the subject...very interesting article in WSC this month on Ebbsfleet and MyFC. Can't find it online but have it to hand, these were the main points...

• On the one year anniversary of the takeover, membership has dropped from 32k to 10k.
  • Many fans had signed up believing they would be able to pick the team, but this option wasn't actually initially available. Only earlier this season did a poll be set up to decided whether they, or manager Liam Daish, should pick the team.
  • Of the 32k members, only 18,112 voted on the takeover of Ebbsfleet itself - the most important vote in MyFC's short history.
  • Members came close to picking the team for the postponed game against Wrexham in January. Difference was just 38 votes in favour of Daish, but only 492 voted. That is to say, that only 1.6% of the membership cared enough to vote on one of the key selling points of the website.
  • MyFC owner, Will Brooks, claimed the project needed 15-20k members to keep it on track. By end of February, just 9,500 members...though 4,300 of those joined up post-Feb 2008 or signed up for a year prior, so their money would have already been spent.
  • Future of Ebbsfleet unclear - MyFC are 343k short of total they'd hoped for, but should be enough to get them through the season. After that, part-time status is probablity, assuming the website doesn't cut its losses and sell up.

Interesting stuff there....

Just to point out I am not a member... :)

Edited by oafc0000

You may be interested in what's been happening in MyFootballClub over the past twelve months.

8 April – Members vote to freeze season ticket prices at the club.

9 May - Members travel from over 20 countries to watch the Final, including Australia, America, Canada, Turkey, Croatia, Italy and Sweden.

10 May - EUFC lift the FA Trophy at Wembley after beating Torquay 1-0. Up to 5,000 overseas members watch an online feed provided by the FA and Sky, and over 26,000 Fleet fans at Wembley - old and new - witness the historic victory.

June/July – Ebbsfleet United enjoy record season ticket sales for the 08/09 campaign.

9 June – Members vote to set the weekly playing budget at £10,000.

August – Members and supporters raise £20,000 among themselves to buy striker Michael Gash from Cambridge City.

September – MyFC members voted 82% in favour of EUFC selling John Akinde to Bristol City for £150,000 (plus add-ons). This was a world's first, where the fans had the final say in a transfer deal. Over 7,000 members voted in 48 hours.

November – The average home league attendance 1479, almost 400 more than the average for the 2007/08 season

January – MyFC members vote to sign defender Darius Charles from Brentford for a club record fee of £25,000

February – A free admission match, decided by members, attracts an 18 year high crowd of 3,750 to Stonebridge Rd. The game is also broadcast live online for overseas MyFC members

Live match streaming overseas - full 90 minutes of remaining home league and FA Trophy matches set to be shown live online.

As a MyFootballClub member, I am part of a unique website community, the first in the world to purchase a football club.

I and thousands of members living in over 80 countries, get the opportunity to vote on key decisions, from team selection to financial budgets.

Before every match, we members have a say in team selection. We can back the coaching staff's judgement, or choose to pick the team and formation ourselves. So far, despite the power to select the team being the big attraction for many members when joining, members have never voted to select the team themselves - quite remarkable!

Members also get to vote on other fundamental decisions, from setting a weekly playing budget (£10,000 this season), to deciding on season ticket prices, to approving Nike as the club’s supplier and its designs.

The percentage of members exercising their vote is low, so it’s no different from the apathy shown when it comes to voting for the local council or the government. The conclusion has to be drawn that those who don't vote are happy to leave decisions to the majority of those who do.

MyFootballClub members communicate on its thriving forums, which have around 25,000 posts each month. Members can also set up special interest groups as well as talk in its chat-room.

The playing budget for next season needs to be significantly reduced. There are a large number of clubs in the Conference going through severe financial difficulties. EUFC is in a better position than most. We don’t have debts and we are up to date with all out current financial responsibilities. However we are now facing a cash-flow crisis. In preparation for next season it is proposed to set the playing budget at £400,000 gross (a net figure of about £7,000 per week). This is a significant drop from this season’s figure of approx. £635,000, but one that is necessary. It may be possible to continue with a full-time squad on this figure although we may need to consider the use of some part-time players if necessary.

There is also a working group researching proposals for a new stadium.

There is a determination amongst the reduced number of people who have renewed their membership to make the concept work. A lot of people have paid their £35, but have stated that they would be willing to pay a lot more money, for example £250 for their yearly subscription. In my recent Shamrock Rovers article I pointed out that they have 500 fans paying 50 euros per month (600 euros per year) on top of season tickets, etc.

I've renewed my membership, because although I've got the owner T-shirt bearing my initials and seen the Club win at Wembley, I'm not prepared to pull on my bit of the plug.

90% of the clubs in our division will be in the same boat, some may even go into administration (Southampton for one). No manager can build a squad these days. Two year contracts are the norm. If you manage to find a decent player he will be off either after yaer one for a fee, or for free when his contracts up.

The percentage of members exercising their vote is low, so it’s no different from the apathy shown when it comes to voting for the local council or the government. The conclusion has to be drawn that those who don't vote are happy to leave decisions to the majority of those who do.

Except for the fact that councils don't depend on an entirely voluntary annual contribution for their contined existence, surely.

There is a determination amongst the reduced number of people who have renewed their membership to make the concept work. A lot of people have paid their £35, but have stated that they would be willing to pay a lot more money, for example £250 for their yearly subscription. In my recent Shamrock Rovers article I pointed out that they have 500 fans paying 50 euros per month (600 euros per year) on top of season tickets, etc.

I've renewed my membership, because although I've got the owner T-shirt bearing my initials and seen the Club win at Wembley, I'm not prepared to pull on my bit of the plug.

Surely the problem is though the difference between talk and reality. Think how many said they'd buy a pink shirt if they put them on open sale...I'd be surprised if even a quarter of those actually went ahead and placed an order. And that's a matter of £40...for charity. Whilst people may say on forums they're willing to fork out three figures to vote on the future of a club they've had an affinity to for a year...surely when push comes to shove and in a time of economic downturn, MyFC may find out that their members aren't as generous as they'd claimed they were. Those Shamrock contributors are lifelong fans of the club, MyFC members aren't.

Fair play to you Terry, you won't say 'been there, done it'. But I'd imagine there are a good number who will. It's a shame for the fans of Ebbsfleet if this goes tits up because people lose interest.

What I don't get though is that there's even an option to pick the team. That's not the place of the owner at all...and on the occasions it has happened, it's resulted in managers walking out and fans turning against said owner. It shouldn't even be a possibility in my book!

Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating concept and there are doubtlessly some like yourself who are committed to the club and its future. Sadly, it's showing all the hallmarks of a fad...and even if people contribute extra this year, will they be happy to do it the year after or the year after that? Just seems it will all end in tears. Maybe the honourable thing to do would be for MyFC to do their utmost to find a buyer who can offer the club stability for the future.

Edited by jsslatic

Except for the fact that councils don't depend on an entirely voluntary annual contribution for their contined existence, surely.

I was referring to the WSC article's dig at low voting involvement by the Members, nothing to do with financial contributions.

Surely the problem is though the difference between talk and reality. Think how many said they'd buy a pink shirt if they put them on open sale...I'd be surprised if even a quarter of those actually went ahead and placed an order. And that's a matter of £40...for charity. Whilst people may say on forums they're willing to fork out three figures to vote on the future of a club they've had an affinity to for a year...surely when push comes to shove and in a time of economic downturn, MyFC may find out that their members aren't as generous as they'd claimed they were. Those Shamrock contributors are lifelong fans of the club, MyFC members aren't.

You are speculating about the difference between talk and reality. It's too soon to do that. Time will tell if members are true to their word.

What I don't get though is that there's even an option to pick the team. That's not the place of the owner at all...and on the occasions it has happened, it's resulted in managers walking out and fans turning against said owner. It shouldn't even be a possibility in my book!

You don't get it, so you didn't join. Many who joined did so because they thought it would be great to pick the team. Surprisingly, when they eventually had the power to do it, they thought better of it and left it to the coaching staff. No doubt because they knew deep down what it would lead to, as you explained.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating concept and there are doubtlessly some like yourself who are committed to the club and its future. Sadly, it's showing all the hallmarks of a fad...and even if people contribute extra this year, will they be happy to do it the year after or the year after that? Just seems it will all end in tears. Maybe the honourable thing to do would be for MyFC to do their utmost to find a buyer who can offer the club stability for the future.

Again it's too soon to draw that conclusion. MFC is in a better financial position than many Conference clubs.

.. you won't say 'been there, done it'. But I'd imagine there are a good number who will. It's a shame for the fans of Ebbsfleet if this goes tits up because people lose interest.

Maybe we had too much success in the first year with winning a Final at Wembley. After that it was likely to go downhill on the field. Observers are waiting for it to go tits up and end in tears, but the Ebbsfleet United fans who take the trouble to make their views known are firmly behind the idea and don't regret what has happened.

As I say time will tell, but I'm enjoying being part of it, and three victories in six days last week eased our relegation worries. After all, at the end of the day, it's all about what happens on the pitch.

I think oafc0000 must owe Corps a favour or something..... :huh:

Or have you borrowed his murky crystal ball of cynicism ? Give it another shake and gaze into it again...you might find most other teams reducing their budgets like us, you might even see a Big Fat Head with a Big Fat Grin dancing on the pitch to the chant of Big Fat Joe's barmy army at Spotland on the last day of the season in front of 11,000 Latics fans celebrating promotion. You might see a Ginger Prince crying with happiness after having scored the winning goal that sends us up....you might see all the best performing players from this season still there in the blazing blue of Oldham Athletic.

In TTA I trust...they might put a squeeze on finances but so will virtually every other club in this league next year, and I for one don't buy your prophecies of forced clear outs and all our best players (inc Taylor) going...they (TTA) will make sure we have a squad that is capable of challenging. The only question is will that squad consistently perform to the best of its ability...that will be what's needed.

Believe it or not, I understand and agree with your point about fans needing to be realistic, but as Lags says ''

Providing the lads out on the park battle and show effort for the blue cause, Latics fans will respond in kind. ''

Most of us don't ask for much more than that.

Edited by Yard Dog

they (TTA) will make sure we have a squad that is capable of challenging

People like are annoying me... Talking about me and crystal balls...and you come up with that gem...

TTA have made it clear the budget will be cut... and there will be plenty of teams in our divison with far greater budgets...

Stop fooling yourself!!! Chances of any sort of promotion push is resonably slim next term...

Edited by oafc0000

We had the 4th lowest budget this season according to some. What's it going to be like next season?

Wasnt entirely true though I dont feel...

It was the 4th lowest and then they where saying its in the top ten after dropping some players... That I couldnt work out... Surely it was a top ten budget then ??? Very confusing...

Anyway, going off what the TTA have said, and people are free to make stuff up, the budget will be one of the smallest in the division... So we have to now start looking at 3 / 4 / 5 year plans to get out of this divison under a new manager...not 1 year plans...unless your expecting rabbits out of hats of course...