Liddell Gone! SMS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everything Andy, you've been a good servant to the club and as mentioned above, it's a shame you weren't able to play one more game to get the send-off you deserve.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Bury if they come up...north-west club and they may look for an experienced head. You know it's scripted for him to come back to BP and miss a penalty...

I think he'll be miffed he hasn't drifted towards a coaching role during his tenure here. I'm sure he will pop up at a local team doing just that in the near future. Good Luck Andy, it was always good to know if we got a penalty it was always going to be a goal when you were on the pitch. A superb record!

As I must have name dropped a thousand times :wink: he told me he would drop down however many Leagues he had to to play on until he was carried off. Bigfinn might tell you that that day is closer than Lidds thinks, but ignore him! Good player and an excellent servant to the club.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If Joe doesn't stay and TTA haven't got anybody lined up, then who decides which players that will be out of contract to re-sign or let go? A new manager would need to take a look at them and make a decision.

Firstly, good luck to Lids - he has been a great servant in my mind and I for one am sad to see him leave without us having the opportunity to say a farewell to the lad. Of course his legs had gone but there were few at the club, if any, that had the poise on the ball that he had. I expect he will be sadly missed by few judging by the flack he gets on here - but yours truly thinks he is a loss to an ever depleting squad.

Secondly and with more of a worry, and as a few others have mentioned, who is making these decisions?????

The manager or the board of directors?

Is the cloth being cut accordingly now to show us the standard of player we can expect next season in line with the promises from SC that the budget will be cut? Is BFJ setting out his stall for shaping the team in his own image?

Personally, I am worried about the implications of both the scenarios I have listed above.

Long term, and by this I mean beyond the end of this season, Joe isn't the man for the job for me. He isn't the fresh faced new kid on the block with crazy ideas about scoring more than the opponents that arrived here over thirty years ago. He is looking like a bit of a dinosaur and is unable to motivate and organise the team to wins against even the most ordinary opposition.

Please go Joe - don't let your history at BP be tarnished by effectively what is a bit of a hit and hope punt from the owners. I would advise a conversation about a goalkeeping prodigy you discovered, one Andrew Lewis Goram. Speak with fans and ask if they remember a superbly agile and effective goalkeeper that went on to be a world beater or a fat buffoon shipping seven against Cardiff. It didn't work for AG and it isn't working for you - one point from twelve against bottom of the league Cheltenham in injury time isn't what we all hoped the return would be.

If the board of directors are taking the scissors to the cloth, well who the hell will want to come and work with them under these circumstances?????

Worried.

Worried.

Worried.

Derek.

Although this season may not have been his best (though that could be said of the whole squad!) he's been a great player for us. As others have said it would have been nice for him to have one more game and get his round of applause. Wouldnt be surprised if were playing against him next season

Long term, and by this I mean beyond the end of this season, Joe isn't the man for the job for me. He isn't the fresh faced new kid on the block with crazy ideas about scoring more than the opponents that arrived here over thirty years ago. He is looking like a bit of a dinosaur and is unable to motivate and organise the team to wins against even the most ordinary opposition.

Please go Joe - don't let your history at BP be tarnished by effectively what is a bit of a hit and hope punt from the owners. I would advise a conversation about a goalkeeping prodigy you discovered, one Andrew Lewis Goram. Speak with fans and ask if they remember a superbly agile and effective goalkeeper that went on to be a world beater or a fat buffoon shipping seven against Cardiff. It didn't work for AG and it isn't working for you - one point from twelve against bottom of the league Cheltenham in injury time isn't what we all hoped the return would be.

Spot on Derek!

Why cancel his contract? I can't see it saving the club any money.... What happend to him helping the younger players in the team i.e. Smalley and Taylor? I can't understand this one at all. Personally speaking, he'll be remembered very fondly and you can't fault his attitude. Why not keep him on, and let him say his goodbyes at the end of the season?

In the unlikely event your reading Lids, thanks for some good memories, decent effort and echoing comments above, your welcome back at BP anytime. Best of luck in finding another club.

I'm a little disappointed that Andy Liddell has been released in such a manner. I was there to give Gary Mac his send off at Crewe and it was well deserved. I think letting him go was the right decision (bar penaltys and the first goal of the season he hasn't done a great deal for the club this year) and his impact from the bench has been limited to five minutes at most. I would however have liked to have given him a final round of applause for the service he has given to the club. When we signed him I was pleased he was coming to us and very surprised Sheff utd had let him go as I felt he was a quality player who still had enough to give at their level.

Good Luck Andy, I hope you come back to BP so we can give you the round of applause you deserve.

Did anyone else think, when he was about to take a pen, I hope this won't be his first miss?

Every bloody time! :lol:

Good luck Lidds, hope you get one final playing contract with someone. Would love to see you back at BP as a coach sometime.

Is the cloth being cut accordingly now to show us the standard of player we can expect next season in line with the promises from SC that the budget will be cut? Is BFJ setting out his stall for shaping the team in his own image?

Personally, I am worried about the implications of both the scenarios I have listed above.

If the board of directors are taking the scissors to the cloth, well who the hell will want to come and work with them under these circumstances?????

Worried.

Worried.

Worried.

Derek.

I think the cloth is being cut to fit a club that will have an average home fan attendance of about 4000-5000 next season regardless of whoever is the manager. Even if we were to pull off the signing of Ronaldo (both) Messi and Kaka we would struggle to get over 6000. TTA have to cut the cloth somewhere and we as fans have to realise that - we all know what happens to clubs who "live the dream".

We could be looking at a team such as:

Fleming

Black

Hazell

?

Eardley

Taylor

Whitaker

Allott

Smalley

Allessandra

O'Grady

Bell

Lomax

Lee

Stephens

?

We need 2 new centrebacks, 2 strikers and a bit more padding around the squad but this will most likely come from the youth and this is just to be able to fulfil our fixtures next season. TTA have backed the club over the last few years and the people of Oldham haven't responded, well they have responded and most of it has been piss and wind rather than support and cold hard cash.

Edited by beag_teeets

Fleming

Black

Hazell

?

Eardley

Taylor

Whitaker

Allott

Smalley

Allessandra

O'Grady

Bell

Lomax

Lee

Stephens

?

Is Maher out of contract?

Oh, and that could be the most depressing front two I've ever seen.

Edited by jsslatic