Hillsborough

Hiya all...

My first time on here and I have been away from the turnstiles for a while too - just come back into it again though (oh the joy of being a Latics fan eh!!!).

Just wanted to know if you can remember where you were 20yrs ago today when Hillsborough happened and any thoughts anyone wants to share from that day

T

I was only 7 so no idea, my dad was iN Sheffield that day and with some doctors that worked in the hospitals.

What are people's views on bringing back terracing then? I think we should re-introduce it now if following Germany's fine example of success?

Sorry no intention of hijacking or changing the direction of this thread by the way, and obviously respect to all those affected.

Edited by monkeykieran

What are people's views on bringing back terracing then? I think we should re-introduce it now if following Germany's fine example of success?

No to terracing...

Relaxation on the "no standing rule" would be welcomed by myself. Allowing clubs to have "standing" areas in seated ground makes sense to me and will give people the choice they want. Zero tolerance on standing in the "none standing" areas as well. The seats create the required space to keep everyone safe IMO.

Edited by oafc0000

Guest sheridans_world
The seats create the required space to keep everyone safe IMO.

Setting and keeping to a safe capacity can do this though.

That along with the barriers every five yards or so.

Standing is safe, if managed correctly.

Setting and keeping to a safe capacity can do this though.

That along with the barriers every five yards or so.

Standing is safe, if managed correctly.

I believe in fighting battles we can win. I don't think the government would accept standing coming back.

Safe standing, like they have in Germany, is exactly that. If it can work in Germany it can work over here, Germany is hardly a backwards country.

safe-standing.jpgSignal3.jpg

Basically, things like that where it can be converted to seating by just pulling seats out for European/International games, would eliminate a lot of the problems that happened in the past. That along with the better policing of crowds that we now get.

Yeah good point

Football fans have never realised the political power they hold. I would like someone to name a bigger "group" of people in the country. If their was a properly joined up campaign things could be forced to change.

Wont happen though...

Guest sheridans_world
I believe in fighting battles we can win. I don't think the government would accept standing coming back.

True, but whether the government allow safe standing or not, it can be a reality without allowing standing in a seated area.

http://www.safestanding.com/return.php

The government allows safe standing anyway, new staida in the lower leagues have standing areas. The remit of the Taylor report is the top two tiers, even though games at the lower levels can attract just as many fans (Leeds Vs. Leicester), look at Luton, they sold 40000 for the paint pot final.

I cant remember who it was, but they havent long since built a brand new stadium and have standing areas (which can easily be changed into seating if needed) because it was cheaper.

Guest sheridans_world
Football fans have never realised the political power they hold. I would like someone to name a bigger "group" of people in the country. If their was a properly joined up campaign things could be forced to change.

Wont happen though...

Conservatives.

Labour.

Bigger groups :grin:

In all seriousness, there are bigger groups (motorists?) but you are right, football fans do have a lot of political power, of course, you need to discount children, cos they cant vote. It just takes someone to grasp the nettle get all football fans together and they could force something through parliament if there are enough of them.

MP's have to take the opinions of their constituents to the commons, if they dont they face not being re-elected.

I was at Boundary Park, never really hit home until last night. But less than a year later, many of us were stood at an FA Cup Semi-Final. I was stood on the Kippax which in all reality was chaos, at 13 years old I could see very little and it was packed. Scarily if our cup run had come a season earlier it could have been us stood on that Leppings Lane terrace, morbid I know but it really does send a shiver down my spine. No matter who the supporters were that day the outcome would've have been similar due to failings of the authorities.

Conservatives.

Labour.

Bigger groups :grin:

In all seriousness, there are bigger groups (motorists?) but you are right, football fans do have a lot of political power, of course, you need to discount children, cos they cant vote. It just takes someone to grasp the nettle get all football fans together and they could force something through parliament if there are enough of them.

MP's have to take the opinions of their constituents to the commons, if they dont they face not being re-elected.

Sadly many football fans, and then Youth in general do not vote. Liek you say, one focussed issue might galvanise a whole generation, but standing does not seem to be the topic. Strange feeling to know that many football fans have never even experience standing.

Sadly many football fans, and then Youth in general do not vote. Liek you say, one focussed issue might galvanise a whole generation, but standing does not seem to be the topic. Strange feeling to know that many football fans have never even experience standing.

The day the terraces died too.....I miss the standing, sitting down..Hmmmmmmmmm getting used to it but it does not feel right. Then again, most concerts you go to with seating areas the stewards don't seem to come round and make you park your bum do they.

is that supposed to be funny?

I remember being stuffed 5.1 in the FA Cup at Hillsborough in1984, Lee Chapman scored a hatrick, driving back I asked my dad why police were digging up the moors ( between Holmfirth and Greenfield)...

we were playing Sunderland at home in a 2-2 draw, remember leaving the chaddy at 4.50pm hearing the tannoy announcement that the Liverpool SF at Hillsborough had been delayed due to crowd congestion. No mobile phones or Internet in those days so I watched in horror when I arrived home as the real truth emerged.