Eardley to Coventry?

So a full international needs a 35yr old right winger to hold his hand and make him play well in his position of RB??

Do me a favour.

If thats the case then it shows what Eardley is made of, not a lot.

No, but where is the out ball? Can he do his runs up field with no cover? He either passes it infield to Hazell or knocks it upfield. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those options was quickly removed by any manager.

Simple thing is a fullback needs a winger/RM. When he has a fully fit one that will track back his overlapping runs - he looks good as he takes on the ball. When he doesn't he has to knock the ball long as he can neither cover himself nor overlap nobody.

So, as for vast parts of this season. Eardley has the ball. The defender is on him. Nobody, at all available bar Hazell to pass to. Pass it to Hazell, or knock it long to where Hughes is (or may be) round and about?

Ans:

(A) Hazell. Wrong. Hazell loses ball, they score. Eardley's a knob.

(B) Hughes makes the run one out of two times. 50/50 success. Hughes is great half the time. The other half, Eardley's a knob.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean Gregan does that all-game-every-game, pressure or not, and he came second in the OWTB player of the season award by quite some distance to 3rd.

Sure, he's better at defending that Eardley. But he's played as almost many years as Eardley is old (only 3 less)!!!

So what does that tell you?

It tells me that you need to watch the game more carefully.

To be fair the extremes of the post were meant as a bit of a joke... a bit like a man who thinks that a 19yr old full-back benefitting from a 35yr old winger's experience is letting himself down. Now let us think why a full-back who has a natural inclination to attack might prefer having a steady and dependable winger in front of him, who has a good appreciation of when to release his man, as opposed to an unpredictable Deane Smalley figure who attacks his man himself and rarely looks to release the overlap.

Or then I suppose it is pathetic that Eardley doesn't play to his potential when he has a centre-mid playing out of position in front of him, who has the inclination to pull in field and who definitely doesn't look to cover for and release an overlapping full-back...

I stand by my comments shefflatic - you need tarring up straight away pal.

Also, name me a better player we have produced in the last two decades than either Eardley or Taylor. Gerrard, Bernard & Serrant are the best 3 that I can think of off-hand - and I'd argue that the achievements of a 20yr old who has captained the team, got over 100 appearances and is a full international would stand the test against them.

Although that is cruelly neglecting Scott McNiven and Mark Hotte I grant you!

Zorrro would agree with me, what a guy...

No, but where is the out ball? Can he do his runs up field with no cover? He either passes it infield to Hazell or knocks it upfield. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those options was quickly removed by any manager.

Simple thing is a fullback needs a winger/RM. When he has a fully fit one that will track back his overlapping runs - he looks good as he takes on the ball. When he doesn't he has to knock the ball long as he can neither cover himself nor overlap nobody.

So, as for vast parts of this season. Eardley has the ball. The defender is on him. Nobody, at all available bar Hazell to pass to. Pass it to Hazell, or knock it long to where Hughes is (or may be) round and about?

Ans:

(A) Hazell. Wrong. Hazell loses ball, they score. Eardley's a knob.

(B) Hughes makes the run one out of two times. 50/50 success. Hughes is great half the time. The other half, Eardley's a knob.

i would rather he passed inside to gregan or alott in the middle than lump it, as shez said, 'take care of the ball' i.e keep posession at the very least.

Edited by shefflatic

i would rather he passed inside to gregan or alott in the middle than lump it, as shez said, 'take care of the ball' i.e keep posession at the very least.

But Allott doesn't make himself available for the ball from him, that is where we really miss Wellens, he was always there demanding the ball from people and if we want to play nice passing football then that is what we need from at least one of central midfielders

Take the money, for a replacement there 's an fine young full back at Droylsden called Liam Brownhill (he's represented the England non league team).

Brownnhill defends well, is comfortable using either foot, has excellent dribbling skills, attacks with pace and purpose and can pass a ball.

The other young full back there the powerful Sean Newton is good too (also an England non league international) , his 2 goal performance against Chesterfield in the F.A Cup this season was outstanding.

In fact I'd take at least 4 of the current Droylsden team to BP now.

But Allott doesn't make himself available for the ball from him, that is where we really miss Wellens, he was always there demanding the ball from people and if we want to play nice passing football then that is what we need from at least one of central midfielders

I was going to post the same but you hit the nail on the head there. In his first season he had Wellens and Liddel looking for the pass. Since then, no one looking for the ball. Fair enough, he hasnt progressed like we would have liked, but that is no excuse for the stick he gets.

One game this season, cant remember the opposition, but Hazell tried to head back to Fleming but headed it to the attacker who scored. One guy behind me shouted "Bloody hell Eardley"....Eardley? FFS!....I kid you not.

No idea why if someone makes a mistake, a few people grumble. If Eardley makes a mistake, half the ground is in uproar.

Take the money, for a replacement there 's an fine young full back at Droylsden called Liam Brownhill (he's represented the England non league team).

Brownnhill defends well, is comfortable using either foot, has excellent dribbling skills, attacks with pace and purpose and can pass a ball.

The other young full back there the powerful Sean Newton is good too (also an England non league international) , his 2 goal performance against Chesterfield in the F.A Cup this season was outstanding.

Do you ever pass these pieces of info onto the chief scout? Just wondering as you frequently mention various names and seem to talk with some knowledge about them. Otherwise it seems a bit of a waste...

I realise that it is your old role, but you could be doing your bit for the club.

Do you ever pass these pieces of info onto the chief scout? Just wondering as you frequently mention various names and seem to talk with some knowledge about them. Otherwise it seems a bit of a waste...

I realise that it is your old role, but you could be doing your bit for the club.

Thanks Lookers, Drolysden are at Boundary Park next Wednesday night v Mossley in the Manchester Premier Cup final, if Joe and the chief scout aren't there (unless they have very important engagements elsewhere) then I can only asume there is something sadly wrong at the club.

Droyslden play a pleasing style of football to feet and I think they will be a joy to watch, particularly the 2 attacking full backs I mentioned.

Why not go down and have a look yourself too ?

Edited by BP1960

Can you recommend these to our scouts? You seem to have a much better knowledge of the game than they do! :grin: When was the last time we dipped into non-league? Was it Cooksey?

Edited by wozz_oafc

Can you recommend these to our scouts? You seem to have a much better knowledge of the game than they do! :grin: When was the last time we dipped into non-league? Was it Cooksey?

Thanks Wozz , we posted at the same time, see my previous reply to lookers.

BTW the best centre back I have seen this season is the 6' 4" Gavin Cowan of AFC Telford, at 27 though it could be to much of a gamble for him to turn pro.

A couple of strikers worth looking at are Warlow and Wilde at Fleetwood (a club going places mark my words).

Edited by BP1960

Thanks Wozz , we posted at the same time, see my previous reply to lookers.

BTW the best centre back I have seen this season is the 6' 4" Gavin Cowan of AFC Telford, at 27 though it could be to much of a gamble for him to turn pro.

A couple of strikers worth looking at are Warlow and Wilde at Fleetwood (a club going places mark my words).

No problem, I like reading your views on players, you must get to a lot of matches!! I used to like your scouting thread too. I think the guy I recommended in that thread has disapeared out the game, which shows how much i know :grin:

Edited by wozz_oafc

No problem, I like reading your views on players, you must get to a lot of matches!! I used to like your scouting thread too. I think the guy I recommended in that thread has disapeared out the game, which shows how much i know :grin:

Another one BP1960 to pass on -

Rhys Griffiths from Llanelli fc in wales.

Did email Alan Hardy last year for Shez to scout but bet he never did. Scored 30+ goals for the past 3 years, 44 in 36 games this year.

6 ft 3.

29yrs old.

http://llanelliafc.org/cms/index.php?optio...1&Itemid=31

http://www.welsh-premier.com/player_detail...p?player_id=458

Edited by shefflatic

Wes Wilkinson and James Curley from Woodley Sports and Oldham Town.

I'm sure there has been trialists but why the big lad and the winger from Ashton United haven't been looked at I really don't know. Shows how clueless our set-up is when 'dale and Stockport are forever unearthing gems and we're signing has beens and can't be arsed efforts left right and centre and costing the club a fortune into the bargain. Having said that when we do nick a gem or two like Lee and Stephens the poor buggers don't get a chance.

his smirk at the fans when he COULDN'T BE BOTHERED' chasing tranmere's winger and many people who have met him have less than nice things to say about him.

Not that we should be bothered about non effort from people taking home money for running on grass for an hour a week.

No, my mistake, we should wrap him in cotton wool like a baby

'Sshhh its ok Neal, dont listen to them nasty people, you're a footballer and your immune from any responsibilities and anything you do wrong or cant be bothered doing is acceptable'.

congratulations you are the tit of the week,goodnight.

Shefflatic you have achieved one thing; your dimwitted comments have amused me.

That one about wrapping Eardley in cottonwool makes me laugh especially since I can't ever remember the lad flinching out of a tackle.

It isn't that I'm worried that the abuse from the terraces will wear poor Neal down - no doubt he will come up against tougher things in life - but the concern is that by such idiotic comments fans will destroy any bond that the lad feels with the club. Not every footballer is willing to do what Chris Porter did and stiff every team who'd helped him to the top, some (like Peter Crouch, Dave Nugent, Harry Redknap and others) have strong loyalties to the teams they leave and look to do the best for them. By getting on Eardley's back we not only alienate a good young player and lower his desire to put it in for the team, but we increase the chances of incidents like hopping off to Scotland to take 30 pieces of silver when under-24 and out of contract...

Chris Taylor loves it, and consequently I never watch him and think he's giving less than his all. If I was Neal Eardley however, I'd be thinking that I was performing for a bunch of fat wankers and not really care.

If he leaves now, after a poor season, then we'll get peanuts for him. If we do then I guarantee that he'll be moving to the Premier League in a few years and we'll be looking pretty stupid.