Eardley to Coventry?

Thanks Lookers, Drolysden are at Boundary Park next Wednesday night v Mossley in the Manchester Premier Cup final, if Joe and the chief scout aren't there (unless they have very important engagements elsewhere) then I can only asume there is something sadly wrong at the club.

Droyslden play a pleasing style of football to feet and I think they will be a joy to watch, particularly the 2 attacking full backs I mentioned.

Why not go down and have a look yourself too ?

Might well do that, used to do some assessment stuff myself a few years ago. Thanks BP, I do enjoy seeing the new names that you regularly recommend, and you seem to assess them very well (from what I've seen) so I just think that seen as the club is obviously struggling with sets of eyes then players you mention should at least be passed on to those that make the decisions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would rather he passed inside to gregan or alott in the middle than lump it, as shez said, 'take care of the ball' i.e keep posession at the very least.

It wud possibly help if when Eards checks inside there is a midfielder wanted the ball. Maher is the only one who has occasionaly wanting posession this year ... Allott (for all his good work) wanting the ball ??? Give me a break

Wes Wilkinson and James Curley from Woodley Sports and Oldham Town.

I'm sure there has been trialists but why the big lad and the winger from Ashton United haven't been looked at I really don't know. Shows how clueless our set-up is when 'dale and Stockport are forever unearthing gems and we're signing has beens and can't be arsed efforts left right and centre and costing the club a fortune into the bargain. Having said that when we do nick a gem or two like Lee and Stephens the poor buggers don't get a chance.

Er? "Forever" , "gems" ? As in players who are Div 1 or Championship standard? As in constantly producing?

Seriously though, why do you reckon the numerous local professional clubs aren't picking these guys up?

In my experience non league players are often stumbled upon when playing matches against league clubs.

For example; I remember Tony Naylor scoring an hat trick against Crewe and Lee Trundle the same against Wrexham then promptly being signed by those clubs.

What would have happened I wonder if they hadn't played in those game, would they have remained non league throughout their careers ?

I know for a fact many clubs don't actively scout and attend non league, they prefer agents recommendations - that's one of the reasons I got out of the game.

Fancy video clips making players seem sensational is not real scouting, you need to see players over several games home and away to assess them.

I have done this with Brownhill and believe he has great potential if a league club gave him a chance.

As for Rhys Grifiths, the prolific goalscorer in the Welsh league, I understand big bids from Championship clubs have failed and he prefers to stay as he is.

The strapping young centre forward Mike Wilde at Fleetwood had a similar scoring record in Welsh football, so he might be one to keep an eye on.

The one thing I always say about scouting is it's all about opinions, most club supporters are very knowledgeable and their opinions are sometimes disdainly dismissed by professionals in the game.

I know one assistant manager at a top flight club who who told me one non league player was hopeless, the same player went on to become one of the best in world.

I have been wrong many times myself though so I will forgive him lol.

Edited by BP1960

In my experience non league players are often stumbled upon when playing matches against league clubs.

For example; I remember Tony Naylor scoring an hat trick against Crewe and Lee Trundle the same against Wrexham then promptly being signed by those clubs.

What would have happened I wonder if they hadn't played in those game, would they have remained non league throughout their careers ?

I know for a fact many clubs don't actively scout and attend non league, they prefer agents recommendations - that's one of the reasons I got out of the game.

Fancy video clips making players seem sensational is not real scouting, you need to see players over several games home and away to assess them.

I have done this with Brownhill and believe he has great potential if a league club gave him a chance.

As for Rhys Grifiths, the prolific goalscorer in the Welsh league, I understand big bids from Championship clubs have failed and he prefers to stay as he is.

The strapping young centre forward Mike Wilde at Fleetwood had a similar scoring record in Welsh football, so he might be one to keep an eye on.

The one thing I always say about scouting is it's all about opinions, most club supporters are very knowledgeable and their opinions are sometimes disdainly dismissed by professionals in the game.

I know one assistant manager at a top flight club who who told me one non league player was hopeless, the same player went on to become one of the best in world.

Deegan and the winger at Ashton are two we should surely have checked out after giving us a real hard time in pre-season?

Trotman was signed by Philly after impressing against us but apart from that there doesn't seem to have been much over the last couple of years. Who knows what goes on within the club but our scouting system is consistently :censored:e and after spoken to Graham Brown a couple of times i'm not sure whether his finger is on the pulse, I know he clocks up the miles but what about his support network? Urmson coming back to the club can only be a good thing imo.

Er? "Forever" , "gems" ? As in players who are Div 1 or Championship standard? As in constantly producing?

Look how much they've earned over the years and it goes back well into the early 90s, whether they've bought from non-league or young cast offs it has paid dividends for them. How the hell they are in such a mess financially I will never know - over the last 15 years or so they've made a killing pretty much every year on one of their players.

I do enjoy allot of your posts BP1960 and your one of the posters I look out for

Jim Gannon is constantly spending time watching non league football from what someone told me perhaps you might fancy a job with him.

Another one BP1960 to pass on -

Rhys Griffiths from Llanelli fc in wales.

Did email Alan Hardy last year for Shez to scout but bet he never did. Scored 30+ goals for the past 3 years, 44 in 36 games this year.

6 ft 3.

29yrs old.

http://llanelliafc.org/cms/index.php?optio...1&Itemid=31

http://www.welsh-premier.com/player_detail...p?player_id=458

no offence meant sheff, I promise, but why would the club be interested in a 29 yo non league player?

And he might have been non trial?

Or scouted.

no offence meant sheff, I promise, but why would the club be interested in a 29 yo non league player?

And he might have been non trial?

Or scouted.

yes ok maybe not now, but imeantioned it a couple of seasons back when we had malongo up top! He obviously wants to stay in wales as he wouldve been bought by someone by now, certainly looks decent on youtube and his record is something like 140 goals in 160 games, phenominal.

yes ok maybe not now, but imeantioned it a couple of seasons back when we had malongo up top! He obviously wants to stay in wales as he wouldve been bought by someone by now, certainly looks decent on youtube and his record is something like 140 goals in 160 games, phenominal.

Stockport took a £100k punt on Peter Thompson in the Northern Ireland League.

40 goals a season, 24 years old.

He's only managed to find the net twice this season.

No guesses who one of his victims was.

Scoring lots in non-league/weaker leagues doesn't automatically mean they'll hack it at this level or higher. They often get in to their late 20s without finding a league club for a simple reason. They ain't got it.

Scoring lots in non-league/weaker leagues doesn't automatically mean they'll hack it at this level or higher. They often get in to their late 20s without finding a league club for a simple reason. They ain't got it.

Quite so.

Paul Moulden anybody?

Bit harsh on the lad, you bringing up his scoring record this season - what with him missing half of it with a life-threatning collapsed lung eh?

anyways, i too have emailed the club with suggested players to scout from lower league players / players from unfashionable leagues; but as i have no formal scouting qualifications or experience; i feel they are filed under 'bin'.

Its a real shame that we as a club just don't appear to 'spread the net' scouting wise - as BP1960 & others (myslef included) have posted previously; there are players who are worth seriously looking at from leagues that aren't the Prem or Championship. We do appear to always look upewards for players; when in reality; a club like us should be doing the opposite.

BP1960; i really think you should email Alan Hardy to pass on the player details of the ones you have mentioned; now the regine has changed / maybe changing again - i might justbe worth the time the email takes to type if we actually go & look at one of these lads & they turn out to be a gem.

Bit harsh on the lad, you bringing up his scoring record this season - what with him missing half of it with a life-threatning collapsed lung eh?

Ok, 2 in half a season.

My limited medical knowledge tells me that a collapsed lung, while no doubt uncomfortable, is not life threatening on its own.

Unless your other lung is missing.

I wish we would look a bit more at non league but we have seen with the likes of Posh the players they brought in and were instant success went for big money.

Wayne Andrews had a decent stint for us but it took him half a season to adjust

I spose what I’m trying to say is if we do sign some promising non league players they need to be given time to develop if they aren’t instantly successful....... its an avenue id like to see us explore tho

BP1960 do you sit in the front row of the main stand nearest the Roachdale road end by any chance?

Posh spent a small fortune on their three key non-league players, though. We don't have those funds.

Yeah, everyone keeps forgetting this. And they struck lucky, a few of the other lads they paid out on are now trying to get games at Cambridge United and the like.

People are very quick in passing a throwaway comment about how we need to plunder from non-league. It's the same people who when we go plunder said "star striker of Gainsborough Trinity" who are first to put the boot in and shouting get rid even when there's 18 months left on their contract.

Players also may not pull up any trees somewhere, but can still be a great player and not utilised well, or in in a system that doesn't suit. Hooper for Scunny is a good example, after they picked him up from Southend. Ricky Lambert's another one, who'd been fair-to-middling at a couple of sides, before Bristol Rovers turned him into the all round dangerman he is now.

There are still exceptional players out there in non league, how will anyone know if they can make the grade or not if they aren't given a chance?

I was told many years ago by a few rival scouts one of my recommendations was ordinary, he was signed by the club I was with at the time and went on to have good career at top level and is now in the England coaching set up.

The difference is my club gave him a 2 week trial, the others didn't.

It's possible that player could well have spent his whole career in non league, it nearly happened to David Eyres.

I would also say if any of you send in recommendations to a club and they bin them without reply then IMO that club is not acting responsibly.

ALL recommendations should be acknowledged, even if the club has to reply saying the player is not what they are looking for.

I actually enjoy watching non league now and admire the dedication involved, just think of Kings Lynn players recently having to travel to the North West for a night match sharing cars, then after a gruelling game having to travel back in the early hours ariving home just in time for a wash and brush up before starting work.

One of the reasons why those signed by Peterborough have done so well is that given a golden chance and they are determined not to drop back into non league again.

Many on this board know what I look for; it's simply very good basic skills combined with determination, in addition he will have something which makes him a bit different than others. However, it's all about opinions and mine may differ from others.

I repeat again above all clubs should give good prospects a chance, otherwise they won't know what they are missing.

PS, I do sit in the main stand, Rochdale Road end, but not at the front.

Edited by BP1960