Smalley and Alessandra

Big mistake giving them both 3 year deals last summer, they both think they can strut around the field putting sod all effort in. Both have a very over-inflated opinion of their abilities and mark my words they'll be in the Conference in less than 18 months. Two more 'Tiptons' if I ever saw it. I've never seen such a lack of effort from so-called young professionals. If they are leading the line next season be afraid.

Big mistake giving them both 3 year deals last summer, they both think they can strut around the field putting sod all effort in. Both have a very over-inflated opinion of their abilities and mark my words they'll be in the Conference in less than 18 months. Two more 'Tiptons' if I ever saw it. I've never seen such a lack of effort from so-called young professionals. If they are leading the line next season be afraid.

The big shame in that is they've the ability that Tipton never had.

ithink there both good players and its upto the mangers etc to get there best out of them with the right guidence behind them thay can be quality

Will go with that.

But there's no way these two should be our strike force.

Smalley wide (train him to deliver the cross).

Alessandra in behind the big centre forward please.

I've never seen such a lack of effort from so-called young professionals

When they have a bit of a physical battle on their hands both of them seem unwilling to mix it. Hence their better positions being stated above.

Edited by opinions4u

The big shame in that is they've the ability that Tipton never had.

Spot on Stevie, after Tipton bottled out against Notts County he was immediately hauled off and rarely featured for three months. when he came back in he was like a man posessed (often over the top), regularly got booked, got stuck min and scored a few goals.

Smalley and Alessandra think they don't have to work hard, Smalley is superb in the air - we must have put 40 crossed in yesterday - some of them absolute belters and he wasn't interested in having a go at any of them - unforgivable and if it was up to me I'd tell him in no uncertain terms his first team opportunities will be extremely limited until he demonstrates a will to get stuck in.

Will go with that.

But there's no way these two should be our strike force.

Smalley wide (train him to deliver the cross).

Alessandra in behind the big centre forward please.

When they have a bit of a physical battle on their hands both of them seem unwilling to mix it. Hence their better positions being stated above.

agree also we need to spend some cash on a striker that has a good scoring record look around the teams in the lower league rochdale allways seem to have a decent stiker and non of these championship efforts as there :censored:e.

I think we can say that confidence and burnout is a part, not sure how much but is important, in their current performances. Also, let's not forget Lewis scored down at Brighton...so it's not like he's not got goals in him. I think lambasting the two at this time of a season, where every single fan is down, concerned and angry how the season has petered out isn't the right thing to do. It isn't their fault...indeed, the two shouldn't have been relied on AGAIN, 2 seasons running like they have! We had Liddell, Hughes, Davies and COG for that with these two chipping in...again, it's not been that though. They've again, been criminally overused (well, Smalley has more than Lewis) and that, plus the lack of the reserve set-up will only hold these two back....not bring them on!

NOTE: Actually, both have almost featured the same number of times, after checking. Smalley 38 apps, Alessandra 37 apps...never should've come to that this season!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think we can say that confidence and burnout is a part, not sure how much but is important, in their current performances. Also, let's not forget Lewis scored down at Brighton...so it's not like he's not got goals in him. I think lambasting the two at this time of a season, where every single fan is down, concerned and angry how the season has petered out isn't the right thing to do. It isn't their fault...indeed, the two shouldn't have been relied on AGAIN, 2 seasons running like they have! We had Liddell, Hughes, Davies and COG for that with these two chipping in...again, it's not been that though. They've again, been criminally overused (well, Smalley has more than Lewis) and that, plus the lack of the reserve set-up will only hold these two back....not bring them on!

NOTE: Actually, both have almost featured the same number of times, after checking. Smalley 38 apps, Alessandra 37 apps...never should've come to that this season!

Said to my mate yesterday that it is ludicrous that at given the riches we had at the start of the season we were relying on Lewi, wolfy and Smalley for the last month of the season when in all reality if it hadn't been for some mystifying decisions from the board and management we could have had Davies and O'Grady up top yesterday. Why oh why O'Grady and Davies were allowed to leave on loan (initially) when in all reality Lewi and Smalley would have been the ones to benefit from lower division football. An absolute disgrace imo! Hughes leaving didn't cost us promotion, arseing about with our back up players and having no reserve side did. The squad had a plethera of options in August a lack of match-practice, hidden agendas and plain obstinence in refusing to play individuals in favour of journeyman :censored:e lost us all chance of a top 6 spot.

But lots were sub apppearance BB . Agree about confidence being an issue but Smalley has to win a tackle occasionally - pleas!

But lots were sub apppearance BB . Agree about confidence being an issue but Smalley has to win a tackle occasionally - pleas!

I'd agree Lewis has been more of a sub than a starter...I'm sure Smalley hasn't though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Both have the potential but also have serious shortcomings which they havnt seemed bothered to work on all season and yeaterday was very infuriating as they both were hopelessly inneffective. Smalley seems to have a real stamina problem as after 50 mins he is goosed - he also plays the dying swan too readily and stays down as if poleaxed - watchin too much of premiershyte IMHO. Also when he gets up he hobbles / walks like hes crippled for a few minutes - he needs to work on his fitness and durability and he could be nearer the finished article. Lewis appears like a carthorse for a lot of the games, he needs to work on speed and strength - he gets shrugged of the ball far too easily and dwells on it when in possession. Obvious flaws yet neither seem bothered to put them right.

As for the Wolf - ffs how embarrasing was it to see Southends big centre halfs repeatedly snuff him out - was like the school bully taking sweets of a kid. Never in a million years is is big or strong enough to lead a line - maybe a drop into midfield or get shut quick BFJ.

Unless we sort out the fowards for next season I can only see more of the barren dross we have been served up in recent games and I aint sure abour renewing ST next year.

Get it sorted BFJ as quick as and maybe the rapidly loosing faith can be kept !

Always had hope for Lewis, until yesterday. Totally uninterested and lethargic. Not once did I see him sprint. Gets shrugged off far too easily and loses the ball without even trying to hold onto it. And the amount of crosses that went in yet both Lewis and Deano were ambling on the edge of the box.

No coincidence that your Becketts and Hughes's of this world get caught offside more often than not. They're strikers. They gamble on the shoulder of the last man because the most important thing to them is getting the ball before the defender does.

Lewis and Deano? Rarely in that position.

Deano's shown promise as winger. Lewis shows it when he wants which isn't good enough for a kid. Needs to earn the right.

And said elsewhere that their 'warm-up' together was that of Saturday morning school football.

E4e

PTHTC

Always had hope for Lewis, until yesterday. Totally uninterested and lethargic. Not once did I see him sprint. Gets shrugged off far too easily and loses the ball without even trying to hold onto it. And the amount of crosses that went in yet both Lewis and Deano were ambling on the edge of the box.

No coincidence that your Becketts and Hughes's of this world get caught offside more often than not. They're strikers. They gamble on the shoulder of the last man because the most important thing to them is getting the ball before the defender does.

Lewis and Deano? Rarely in that position.

Deano's shown promise as winger. Lewis shows it when he wants which isn't good enough for a kid. Needs to earn the right.

And said elsewhere that their 'warm-up' together was that of Saturday morning school football.

E4e

PTHTC

trouble is like has been said,they have played more games than they should in the past 2 seasons..

had we had a ressie team this season they would of been there....we have one for next season and i can see right now if joe is here,that is where they will be for most part next season....not in a"your :censored:e and shouldnt of been given 3 year deals"kinda way...more of a go work with tony p again and get back to basics and doing what your good at way..i think a good few games under the guidance of tony p will sort of get them back on track,and we may see a different outcome with both of them.

Both of these players have the ability to progress next year and be key members in a team that can hopefully push for a playoff place. Smalley should be a played on the wide right of midfield and told to hog the touchline. He has the ability and pace to trouble a lot of left backs that will be in the division next year. Alessandra has shown on occasion this year that he can score goals when on form and given a run in the side, he also creates opportunities for another strike partner. Next year is he has a good pre season I would go as far as saying he could be a real threat. The ideas of them only being as good for the conference are ludicrous they just need a bit of management and given time to progress.

Both of these players have the ability to progress next year and be key members in a team that can hopefully push for a playoff place. Smalley should be a played on the wide right of midfield and told to hog the touchline. He has the ability and pace to trouble a lot of left backs that will be in the division next year. Alessandra has shown on occasion this year that he can score goals when on form and given a run in the side, he also creates opportunities for another strike partner. Next year is he has a good pre season I would go as far as saying he could be a real threat. The ideas of them only being as good for the conference are ludicrous they just need a bit of management and given time to progress.

Smalley IMO is just not a striker; he showed in one 90 minute game this season where he should be deployed; RW. Vs Stockport at home, playing on the RW; Smalley was unplayable – he ran at the defence & caused absolute havoc everytime he did. His ‘end product’, which is so often his downfall, was the best it’s ever been in that game & he was simply awesome.

He was also great IMO vs Leicester away, he put in a number of tackles that game; one of which we heard the ‘thud’ of from the away stand! Once again he ran & caused troublt to a defender who is still on the books of a Prem team in Gilbert.

With the correct man management; IMO Smalley has the potential to play Championship; not Conference! He surely can’t have benifttted from the constant abuse that was hurled his way; every game from the side of the pitch by Shez. It’s a self belief / confidence in his own ability thing with Deane – if he is coached on his definciencies (final ball, decision making etc) & has the correct handling in terms of his man management then I think we will have some player on our hands.

As for Lewis, I too like LaticsNik, was really dissapointed in him on sat. He just had the air of a lad who didn’t give a toss. He rarely got up a head of steam; I don’t remember him actually sprinting at all during the game & he got pushed & brushed off the ball far to regularlly too.

Lewis has the ability in his locker to be a top player; but he didn’t even open the door to it yesterday let alone use it. He can be a good link man when he drops deep; as he has quick feel & appeard to have a quick footballing brain BUT; it’s the attitiude that worries me. If he doesn’t want to improve, to fulfill his potential, if he thinks he’s already made it & doesn’t need to progress – I think we’re better cutting our losses on him. I don’t know, maybe a loan out will help his cause; something that should have happened already IMO, but – if Lewis is leading the line next season I’m worried as he just doesn’t look like he wants it at present.

On the Kieran Lee thing; he looked impressive vs Crewe away, Brighton Home & again yesterday; coupled with Crewe at home 2 weeks ago. Think he’s been woefully underused this season; don’t know why – consiparcy theories abound that Shez didn’t play him out of spite as he (shez) didn’t actually sign Lee – but I think he has to feature from the off next season as he looks like a player who will only get better with more games under his belt in a conserted run in the side.

Said to my mate yesterday that it is ludicrous that at given the riches we had at the start of the season we were relying on Lewi, wolfy and Smalley for the last month of the season when in all reality if it hadn't been for some mystifying decisions from the board and management we could have had Davies and O'Grady up top yesterday. Why oh why O'Grady and Davies were allowed to leave on loan (initially) when in all reality Lewi and Smalley would have been the ones to benefit from lower division football. An absolute disgrace imo! Hughes leaving didn't cost us promotion, arseing about with our back up players and having no reserve side did. The squad had a plethera of options in August a lack of match-practice, hidden agendas and plain obstinence in refusing to play individuals in favour of journeyman :censored:e lost us all chance of a top 6 spot.

I think that line is a little bit harsh. But otherwise agree wholeheartedly.

Particularly as eveyone was moaning about lack of effort and ill discipline.

Particularly the lack of effort, is the very same thing Lewi and Smalley are being criticised for.

We don't know the ins and outs, I think everyone suspected behind the scenes stuff.

I am absolutely sure everyone would have been saying exactly the same if we had O Grady and Davies leading the line now.

It was said in this thread early sign someone with a goalscoring record. That is exactly what we did, several times. But I think we put all our eggs in one basket, again, several time.

BUt I do agree, it is criminal that is what we have ended up with.

Edited by singe

According to my mate (who went to school with Smalley) Smalley doesnt want to be here.

My response was, he would be more than welcome at Macclesfield!

Sounds like a big-headed little tosser to me, if he doesn't want to be here he knows where the door is. Simples!

I think what's happened to Deano and Lewis is typical of young footballers in this day and age. It's easy to get carried away, especially after bursting into the first team scene like they both have. They're both experiencing similar things in that they aren't a new entity to opposition teams and it seems to me they're being sussed out and now have to up their game somewhat or risk being spat out at the end of a 3 year contract and finding their level at Division 4 or lower.

It happened to Taylor too, and took a couple of years for him to realise that and use experience gained in changing his game. He's far more of a goal threat and certainly harder to control than he was last season and the end of the season before. The talent is there in both Lewis and Smalley but they need to kick on a bit.

I'm ignoring the "mate of a mate sez..." rubbish being spouted about Smalley. Things like that form peoples opinions when it's clear they're both going through a bit of a rut and just need to keep plugging away and learning their games. And I'll never, ever write a player off in his first 2 years of professional football. Maybe after 4 or 5 but they still have time for me to learn and up their games.

If there is one thing that Smalley isnt it is "big headed". He is a nice down to earth lad who has time to speak to anyone. I think it is more a case of being low on confidence as the season fizzles out to nothing that is showing through now.

You can quit that too. Douse your head in petrol hoist it on the top of a stick, set it on fire and join the witch-hunt.

Don't like having a go at Latics players, but I thought Smalley was very poor on Saturday. He looks to be off the pace, and with no real desire to get back on it - which is worrying from a young lad who should be hungry for games.

For a while I've thought his best position is through the middle, because he doesn't have the out of the ordinary skills that a winger needs - both with his positioning but also the willingness to work with his full-back. It is no surprise that Eardley offered more of a threat when he had Liddell in front of him - a guy that both Taylor and Smalley could learn a lot from.

Alessandra was poor, but he's a link man for other strikers - the sort who looks to get on the ball deep rather than pick it up over the top. My biggest criticism of him is that he hasn't really got a goal threat, but he's young and still learning the game at this level. His performances early season were winning him fulsome praise, so I won't damn him just yet. He needs to keep improving though, and he and Smalley must learn from this season to improve next year - if they keep doing that then they'll be fine.

Sounds like a big-headed little tosser to me, if he doesn't want to be here he knows where the door is. Simples!

You have saved me so much typing mate - Thank u!

I am not knocking the ability of the pair, but you cant develop heart and aggression!!! Something the pair dont have.

It was like having the Cowarly Lion and The Scarecrow up top on Saturday - I want to know which one was the tin man lol

KEEPING THE FAITH