I have to say Corporal that I agree with 99% of your posts but you really do need to change your subject of doom and gloom........your answer is always the same.... you may as well just say in future.........."Please refer to my previous posts" as it would save you alot of retype!!!!!

I can hardly respond to what I see as blind optimism with anything else, though, can I?

As said before in response to such charges, nearly everybody on boards like this has a certain dominant view that they constantly reiterate.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can hardly respond to what I see as blind optimism with anything else, though, can I?

As said before in response to such charges, nearly everybody on boards like this has a certain dominant view that they constantly reiterate.

There is optimism and there is blind optimism, we know things aint rosey but come on Corp, as has been previously stated I agree with a fair few of your posts, but flipside of the coin, could what your saying not be seen as blind pessimism?

When I posted about getting one's ST before the queue on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, my advice was scrned:

What queue will that be. There will be no queue. Particularly not during the week when the majority of people (bar us with jobs in education) :wink: are at work.

we are a massive club though luke, …..! i might go tomorrow just to make sure that i can get one, dont want to miss out!!!

Then I read these:

Went and paid for mine today, there were a few people in the queue in front of me and there were people queueing behind me too.

Came past the club at 10:30ish a healthy Q at ticket office...... Every Penny helps...lol

There was no queue when I posted my renewal.

B)

Why blind optimism? Is it not also known as hope? You know kind of like the hope God botherers have that there is something else on the other side.

I hope for the same things for the club as the blindest of optimists. However, there is currently no reason at all to expect these things to materialise. I merely offer a view as to why.

There is optimism and there is blind optimism, we know things aint rosey but come on Corp, as has been previously stated I agree with a fair few of your posts, but flipside of the coin, could what your saying not be seen as blind pessimism?

No. I've already said several times that Penney sounds like he knows what he's talking about and comes with a good record. I wish him well. However, we have seen such people people before and they haven't been able to overcome the negative wider picture.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

No. I've already said several times that Penney sounds like he knows what he's talking about and comes with a good record. I wish him well. However, we have seen such people people before and they haven't been able to overcome the negative wider picture.

Can I just point out that, and I'm trusting Harry's figures as he's never let us down before, you were right? With a decline of 500-1000 sales I'd suggest that lends itself more to your theory of apathy than mine of economy. Both are valid but this new data reduces my arguments strength.

Can I just point out that, and I'm trusting Harry's figures as he's never let us down before, you were right? With a decline of 500-1000 sales I'd suggest that lends itself more to your theory of apathy than mine of economy. Both are valid but this new data reduces my arguments strength.

Decent of you to say so. I think it's demoralisation rather than apathy, however. The ongoing decline punctuated by false dawns...

I won't be renewing, for the simple reason on average it's as cost effective for me to pay on the day as buy a season ticket, i miss approx 5 homers a season for various reasons....but it doesn't mean I won't be at every game I can get to.

I won't be renewing, for the simple reason on average it's as cost effective for me to pay on the day as buy a season ticket, i miss approx 5 homers a season for various reasons....but it doesn't mean I won't be at every game I can get to.

So you are what I would consider an ideal candidate for the 5/7/10game ticket. This works in that you buy a ticket book and you can use them for ANY game of the league season. For any games which somehow look like sell outs you can have a process where a person must exchange their ticket for another ticket at the ground the week before to avoid "double booking" and doing this gets you a small discount on the gate price and gives Latics some cash in hand ahead of time.

What do you think of the idea? Is it something you would use?

I too miss on average five home games but that does not stop me renewing for the simple reason that I have a brilliant seat which I do not want to lose.

(Okay - it is in the Main stand surrounded by 'old' people but it is on the front row directly above the tunnel - it's like watching the match on tele :blush:

So you are what I would consider an ideal candidate for the 5/7/10game ticket. This works in that you buy a ticket book and you can use them for ANY game of the league season. For any games which somehow look like sell outs you can have a process where a person must exchange their ticket for another ticket at the ground the week before to avoid "double booking" and doing this gets you a small discount on the gate price and gives Latics some cash in hand ahead of time.

No

Cheers,

Harry

No

Cheers,

Harry

It will finish up at the usual 3000 mark. I went to the club twice today and there was over 10 in the Q both times. People will always leave it til last min. I renewed all the lads tickets today - 6 of us! im sure many will do the same.

KTF

Yes, I'd be interested in this.....

I hope for the same things for the club as the blindest of optimists. However, there is currently no reason at all to expect these things to materialise. I merely offer a view as to why.

Well, here we go agin CJ.

So, we've gone from years and years of decline, to now being at "no reason at all". Good god, if you hope for the same things as the blindest of optimists, it's a bleak outlook they have.

I must be in some sort of senseless (all 5 purported senses) optimist category then. We've surely more hope than most of lg 1?

Still at least we've gone from an assured decline to no hope of progression. That must be a move forward. No?

Well, here we go agin CJ.

So, we've gone from years and years of decline, to now being at "no reason at all". Good god, if you hope for the same things as the blindest of optimists, it's a bleak outlook they have.

I must be in some sort of senseless (all 5 purported senses) optimist category then. We've surely more hope than most of lg 1?

Still at least we've gone from an assured decline to no hope of progression. That must be a move forward. No?

You seem to be just looking for an argument for the sake of it now. There is no difference between an assured decline and no hope of progression (except maybe the latter could result in stagnation, which usually leads to decline), although what I actually said was not that there is no hope, just that I don't see any reason for it. In what way does that rule out my wishing for all the same things for the club as the optimists?

Why have we 'surely more hope than most of League One? '

Edited by Corporal_Jones

ok - gone and done the dirty deed and got ST today against my better judgement (even gave up spiritual home of Chaddy for midst of RRE ) ! . Totally down to 1 or 2 posts on here that gave me hope and thoughts of new dawn after the Shez loanees/old boys club fiasco. Mainly the author of this thread mr Harry Dowds Shirt - hope I dont regret it !

Onwards and upwards !!!

ok - gone and done the dirty deed and got ST today against my better judgement (even gave up spiritual home of Chaddy for midst of RRE ) ! . Totally down to 1 or 2 posts on here that gave me hope and thoughts of new dawn after the Shez loanees/old boys club fiasco. Mainly the author of this thread mr Harry Dowds Shirt - hope I dont regret it !

Onwards and upwards !!!

oops sorry if I contributed too!

You seem to be just looking for an argument for the sake of it now. There is no difference between an assured decline and no hope of progression (except maybe the latter could result in stagnation, which usually leads to decline), although what I actually said was not that there is no hope, just that I don't see any reason for it. In what way does that rule out my wishing for all the same things for the club as the optimists?

Why have we 'surely more hope than most of League One? '

There is difference between decline and not progressing. I would rather be a club that is not progressing which we are at the moment. We are certainly not too big for this league. We have been here for a number of years. In fact we have been in league 1 longer than anyone else. I think we deserve a promotion but things don't work like that keep the faith

When I posted about getting one's ST before the queue on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, my advice was scrned:

There was no queue when I posted my renewal.

B)

There was also no queue at 10am this morning when I went for mine at Boundary Park. Done and back walking up sheepfoot lane within 3 minutes.

What rush!! :wink: