Four Player to Sign

Four poised to sign for Latics

Reporter: Latics latest by TONY BUGBY

Date online: 12/06/2009

ATHLETIC are close to completing the signings of four new players as their plans for the 2009/10 season move into overdrive.

Manager Dave Penney’s persuasive skills and tireless work this week has been rewarded with progress made on the transfer front.

He said: “Bids for four players have been agreed with their agents and hopefully they will be completed next week once they return from holiday.”

Penney will not name his targets until they have actually put pen to paper but said: “Once those four join Rob Purdie and Jon Worthington in signing you will see the squad gradually taking shape.”

That will take the number of new signings to six, but Penney reckons that won’t be the end of the transfer activity as nine players left the club before the summer break.

Penney added that there will be a couple more to come in, while further down the line there is the option of bringing in loan players.

He continued: “Clubs are not going to be making decisions about loaning players at this stage.

“They will probably wait until a couple of weeks after pre-season training has started when they start to finalise which players will feature.”

Penney is a fan of the loan system, pointing out while managing Darlington he borrowed David Wheater from Middlesbrough. That loan was a success for both parties as, 18 months later, Wheater had established a regular first-team place back at the Riverside and also forced his way into the England squad.

Penney reassured fans there is nothing to worry about, despite the lack of signings so far.

He continued: “There is no need to panic as there are still two-and-a-half weeks before pre-season training starts.

“Most players are still looking around for the best deals. But with pre-season beckoning they will want to get fixed up so there will be a lot more activity from this point.”

Penney says that he is speaking to players and agents on a daily basis and it is a case of identifying the best available and then seeing whether they are affordable.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very happy if those two were signed

taking exceptionally longer than normal....although im sure signing four players takes time...so will we get the promised signing today as advertised yesterday or not.....going off that report i would say not,next week now....talk about cashing in on page clicks,lol

taking exceptionally longer than normal....although im sure signing four players takes time...so will we get the promised signing today as advertised yesterday or not.....going off that report i would say not,next week now....talk about cashing in on page clicks,lol

Not really- take a couple of weeks to see what offers come in, take a two or three week holiday they come back and sign for your new club just before pre season training starts. The season didnt finish that long ago.

I think you will see a lot more signings over the next 2-3 weeks.

yeh where is todays signing? if the chron writes this it mean that we are close to signing 2 rather than 4 in 3 weeks rather than next week

I don't really think it is fair to say that a signing was "advertised", more realistically, it was "reported" that a signing is imminent.

yeh where is todays signing? if the chron writes this it mean that we are close to signing 2 rather than 4 in 3 weeks rather than next week

Bids for four players have been agreed with their agents and hopefully they will be completed next week once they return from holiday.”

Big week next week - fixtures out on Thuursday, four new players to sign (I'll have Abbott, Clarke, DeMontagnac & Llera thanks) :grin:

I didn't mind Byfield when he was fit.

It was once a game was over an hour old I thought he became useless.

Dear FIFA, UEFA, FA and Football League,

Please can I respectfully ask that the length of a football match is reduced from 90 minutes to 60? I think that it would be of great benefit to the game as a whole.

Yours Sincerely

Darren Byfield (you know, Jamelia's fella)

Please can we have at least one championship player, rather than league one/two. :pray:

I agree I would like a couple of quality players that would drop down but if last season is anything to go by the only players who drop down are either unfit and need match practice or past it ,

This season I am looking forward to hungry players who want to make it at a higher level as opposed to a player who has made it and couldnt give two hoots about what happens.

I agree I would like a couple of quality players that would drop down but if last season is anything to go by the only players who drop down are either unfit and need match practice or past it ,

This season I am looking forward to hungry players who want to make it at a higher level as opposed to a player who has made it and couldnt give two hoots about what happens.

Ditto

I would rather look for the new Fitz Hall, Chris Armstrong, Chris Porter(as in player) Wayne Andrews, Clint Hill who are on the way up rather than a Ormerod, Byfield, Kabba, Windass, Ricketts who are on the way down.

To be fair we had a fair few quality players for this level last year - Taylor and Eardley made the league team, Jones was good, we've all loved Gregan's style in the past and Hughes scored lots. Fleming is a good keeper, Hazell holds an end up, Allott and Maher would get into a fair few teams at this level albeit not alongside each other.

I think the wailing and gnashing of teeth that followed last season is a little overdone, because although we fell away massively and embarrassingly, last season was a disaster because we had good players who massively underperformed, rather than our players not being good enough.

So, the point of this is that I think any players who come in must have a couple of key qualities - fitness and a good attitude. We add a few players like that (Purdie sounds like one) for every "next Porter" that we sign and we'll be onto a winner.

Bids for four players have been agreed with their agents and hopefully they will be completed next week once they return from holiday.”

Big week next week - fixtures out on Thuursday, four new players to sign (I'll have Abbott, Clarke, DeMontagnac & Llera thanks) :grin:

I thought the fixtures were out on Wednesday?

He wasn't that bad.

sry but it was just another has been good player he was gash how many goals did he get us :S did he actually get any assists im sure all the home games i saw he just got the ball and lost it or just ran around, money can be spent better elsewhere