You're confusing being " be unable" with " not be bothered in your case".

Back on topic for others. If the figure is around 3000 sold then that is better than seemed likely at the end of last season. Not wonderful but a similar base of money up front as last summer, maintaining cash flow etc. Would we like to have more? Of course, but credit to everyone who has shown their support again at a time , for many, of financial belt tightening.

Blind pessimism . It's the future. Except we don't have a future

That's funny, you are usually guaranteed to be bothered by even the most innocuous remark I might make. I can always rest assured that either you or Green Shirt, the chief ideology priests and bottle washers, will come along sooner or later to shake your beads and hiss in my direction, while offering nothing but the magical blend of blind otimism and half-truth in response.

As already noted, although when the recession began to unfold many, including myself, expected an almost universal belt-tightening, the measures taken by the government and Bank of England to mask the effects of the crisis have left many with more disposable income than they might have had this time last year. It's why retail hasn't yet suffered as much as might have been expected. When this is taken into account, 'around 3000' STs is poor and suggest a continuing dip in active support from the hardcore fans. (Although the figure of 3000 has yet to be confirmed by anybody, as far as I've been able to see. Last time the issue came up the figure was said to be about 2600-also unconfirmed.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

terror_warning_new.jpg

Thanks for that singe, mildly butchered for my new work desktop... :grin:

To those of you who gleefully scroll past Corporal Jones's posts (and he's the one at the bottom if you remember Dad's Army... :wink: ), I think you should take the time to read what he has to say. That doesn't mean I always (ever?) agree with him, but if nothing else some of you might learn a few new words... :unsure:

Thanks for that singe, mildly butchered for my new work desktop... :grin:

To those of you who gleefully scroll past Corporal Jones's posts (and he's the one at the bottom if you remember Dad's Army... :wink: ), I think you should take the time to read what he has to say. That doesn't mean I always (ever?) agree with him, but if nothing else some of you might learn a few new words... :unsure:

And ditto from me.

Done in jest, of course.

I do think Corp has valid points, and think he is very much needed and apprecaited by me, on here.

Although, he does have a habit of not letting a subjct drop till you agree with him. In fact, I think he might be my wife !!

I agree with her all the time, but that is for a quiet life!

Edited by singe

Don't think I have ever abused you, nor want to. Very happy if you agree with Cj. Life's rich tapestry and all that.

And I always read his posts, never scrolling past them. My blind optimism means that I keep hoping he posts something new.

P.S. Why is the phrase "blind pessimism" never used?

Ok... (where to begin?). First of all, I didn't say you've abused me but you seem to take offense (if not downright abuse) anyone who dares to suggest that all may not be rosy in the "Latics garden".

Secondly, I didn't say I agree with CJ - and Zorro's post did not imply that he agrees with him. Zorro pointed out that if you scroll past CJ's posts you're missing some interesting stuff. I was agreeing with Zorro, which makes me an acolyte.

I agree that one needs a certain amount of optimism when supporting a club such as Latics - otherwise there would be no club/team etc. But we also need to keep a sense of realism too. I think CJ's posts bring that "reality check" to the table and he sometimes says things that others are thinking but dare not say/post.

I think this message board is by far the best we've ever had (and I've been a member of several Latics boards since 1996 when I first started using the web) but there does seem to be a group of "happy clapper extremists" who resort to abusive tatics when "perennial doom and gloomers" (in their eyes) voice an opinion about season tickets sales, attendances, the global economy, the price of fish (well, maybe not that one) etc. And don't tell me they're "just joking", "having a laugh" etc. COS I WON'T HAVE IT! (Just kidding :grin: )

We need posters/members of CJ's ilk to prevent us from settling for life in League One - we don't want that do we Pete? You and I have seen the good times at Latics. Let's keep everyone on their toes so that people who became fans since the mid-1990s can taste the success we've tasted. It can be done - look at Burnley, Hull etc.

Ok... (where to begin?). First of all, I didn't say you've abused me but you seem to take offense (if not downright abuse) anyone who dares to suggest that all may not be rosy in the "Latics garden".

Sorry but that's nonsense. I think that in the midst of frustration that people have, and which is often expressed as abuse of officials and staff of the club, it's right that others, including myself, bring a different perspective. One that expresses a belief that most of the people working for Latics are decent, hard workers. Humans who sometimes make mistakes but who are on the same side as suypporters!

Secondly, I didn't say I agree with CJ - and Zorro's post did not imply that he agrees with him. Zorro pointed out that if you scroll past CJ's posts you're missing some interesting stuff. I was agreeing with Zorro, which makes me an acolyte.

I never mentioned you. It appeared that Zorro often posted support of CJ very quickly. An acolyte is a supporter. remember that my post was in response to someone who said they scrolled past CJ - and had done for six months!

I agree that one needs a certain amount of optimism when supporting a club such as Latics - otherwise there would be no club/team etc. But we also need to keep a sense of realism too. I think CJ's posts bring that "reality check" to the table and he sometimes says things that others are thinking but dare not say/post.

Realism works both ways. Realism for some is that we're not in a good position but still in a much better one than other clubs. And that's a good thing. It appears that for CJ it's happy clapping to celebrate even the slightest of positives.

[i]I think this message board is by far the best we've ever had (and I've been a member of several Latics boards since 1996 when I first started using the web) but there does seem to be a group of "happy clapper extremists" who resort to abusive tatics when "perennial doom and gloomers" (in their eyes) voice an opinion about season tickets sales, attendances, the global economy, the price of fish (well, maybe not that one) etc. And don't tell me they're "just joking", "having a laugh" etc. COS I WON'T HAVE IT! (Just kidding :grin: )

We need posters/members of CJ's ilk to prevent us from settling for life in League One - we don't want that do we Pete? You and I have seen the good times at Latics. Let's keep everyone on their toes so that people who became fans since the mid-1990s can taste the success we've tasted. It can be done - look at Burnley, Hull etc.

[/i]

It is a good forum. I'm as ambitious for the club as the next person. But constant harping about what's wrong doesn't put things right. Positive suggestions help change situations . It would be nice to hear some from those who are quick to the keyboard with interpretations of what's wrong..

Thanks Martjs for a reasonable post. That's genuine. I bridle only at your implication that I'm abusive! Read my posts more carefully! :)

Edited by LaticsPete

I support CJ in the sense that I think he gets a raw deal despite being a very articulate and intelligent poster. I don't agree with him; simply because I'm not intelligent enough to understand the intricacies of economics.

His is a welcome counter-argument, posted in a style that strikes a chord with me. That is all.

[/i][/i][/i]

It is a good forum. I'm as ambitious for the club as the next person. But constant harping about what's wrong doesn't put things right. Positive suggestions help change situations . It would be nice to hear some from those who are quick to the keyboard with interpretations of what's wrong..

Thanks Martjs for a reasonable post. That's genuine. I bridle only at your implication that I'm abusive! Read my posts more carefully! :)

I'm no less happy than anybody else when something good happens for the club, but am keenly aware of how sparse these good moments have become over the past fifteen years as we've watched most of our Lancashire neighbours leave us behind-probably for good.

Nor do I doubt the commitment of those working for the club, but, as discussed before, it is they who are well-paid to come up with ideas, not the hard-pressed fan. Fans are largely helpless and always on the receiving end.

I support CJ in the sense that I think he gets a raw deal despite being a very articulate and intelligent poster. I don't agree with him; simply because I'm not intelligent enough to understand the intricacies of economics.

His is a welcome counter-argument, posted in a style that strikes a chord with me. That is all.

It was only today that I became aware that I had acolytes. The weight of responsibility it brings keeps giving me vertigo.

I will do my utmost etc etc.

Bless you, my people.

I don't think I can recall anyone on here saying CJ wasn't articulate and intelligent. He clearly is both, and much more.

His 'crime', for those of us not exactly enamored with him, is that he is so, so repetitive, to the extent that you have to think he's either insane or on a wind-up, or both.

I don't see anyone else on here banging on and on and on about the same point.......

Just wait 'til you've had nearly two years of it...

You must be joking. Almost everybody who posts on a board like this continually repeats what are essentially the same few points.

Yours and Pete's whingy rebukes of me, for example, crop up over and over again.

You must be joking. Almost everybody who posts on a board like this continually repeats what are essentially the same few points.

Yours and Pete's whingy rebukes of me, for example, crop up over and over again.

Well if ''almost everybody who posts on a board like this continually repeats what are essentially the same few points'', why is it that I can see only you are singled out for such a crime ?

It was only today that I became aware that I had acolytes. The weight of responsibility it brings keeps giving me vertigo.

I will do my utmost etc etc.

Bless you, my people.

Don't let it go to your head!

:wink:

Sorry but that's nonsense. I think that in the midst of frustration that people have, and which is often expressed as abuse of officials and staff of the club, it's right that others, including myself, bring a different perspective. One that expresses a belief that most of the people working for Latics are decent, hard workers. Humans who sometimes make mistakes but who are on the same side as suypporters!

It's not nonesense - you are quick to challenge anyone who dare to suggest things are not great at BP. Maybe my use of the word "abuse" was a bit strong though. AND I must make it clear that I'm not and never have had a go at any employee of the club

I never mentioned you. It appeared that Zorro often posted support of CJ very quickly. An acolyte is a supporter. remember that my post was in response to someone who said they scrolled past CJ - and had done for six months!

You did mention me - you said you were happy that I agree with CJ and something about life's rich tapestry and all that.

Fair points Pete except as noted above (read my and your posts more carefully!) and, like I said, "abuse" may have been a bit strong.

Oh, by the way, an acolyte is more of a follower than a supporter... Does CJ tweet?!? :grin:

(Fully paid-up member of Diego's Pedantry Club)

Edited for clarity

Edited by martjs

That's funny, you are usually guaranteed to be bothered by even the most innocuous remark I might make. I can always rest assured that either you or Green Shirt, the chief ideology priests and bottle washers, will come along sooner or later to shake your beads and hiss in my direction, while offering nothing but the magical blend of blind otimism and half-truth in response.

Not at all Corp. I totally respect your opinion (and to some extent agree with a good number of the points that you raise.) But that is exactly what it is. An opinion. It may also be half truth and blind pessimism for all I know.

However, I am like everone else on this board entitled to an opinion, be it in general agreement or disagreement with your own point of view and, free to express it as long as we are not abusive or offensive. To date, I believe that neither of us have been.

What ticks me off about your posts is the repetitive nature of the same point, over and over and over again. Honestly, I can assure you that I have got it and so have about a thousand other owtb posters/readers. I don't scroll through your posts like others, because as you say I am an (blind) optimist and I firmly believe that 1 day you will surprise us all and post a completely different topic. However, if you ever go down that route, before you do can I suggest that you warn the doctors at Oldham Hospital so that they can prepare for a mass intake of heart attack victims.

Yours in sport and opinion.

Harry

Not at all Corp. I totally respect your opinion (and to some extent agree with a good number of the points that you raise.) But that is exactly what it is. An opinion. It may also be half truth and blind pessimism for all I know.

However, I am like everone else on this board entitled to an opinion, be it in general agreement or disagreement with your own point of view and, free to express it as long as we are not abusive or offensive. To date, I believe that neither of us have been.

What ticks me off about your posts is the repetitive nature of the same point, over and over and over again. Honestly, I can assure you that I have got it and so have about a thousand other owtb posters/readers. I don't scroll through your posts like others, because as you say I am an (blind) optimist and I firmly believe that 1 day you will surprise us all and post a completely different topic. However, if you ever go down that route, before you do can I suggest that you warn the doctors at Oldham Hospital so that they can prepare for a mass intake of heart attack victims.

Yours in sport and opinion.

Harry

Fair enough mate.

What ticks me off about your posts is the repetitive nature of the same point, over and over and over again.

There is the reason I don't read or get involved anymore with Corporal Jones posts he is entitled to his opinion and isn't necessarily wrong for that matter either. But I have heard it and I don't feel the need to have the same arguement over and over again with someone. If others wish to challenge him then they are welcome but if you don't like it rather than give him personal abuse don't read it.

There is the reason I don't read or get involved anymore with Corporal Jones posts he is entitled to his opinion and isn't necessarily wrong for that matter either. But I have heard it and I don't feel the need to have the same arguement over and over again with someone. If others wish to challenge him then they are welcome but if you don't like it rather than give him personal abuse don't read it.

Most of the arguments on here revolve around what are basically the same subjects.