If its such a bad deal should consider paying the penalty and taking a lower rate may save you money in the long run.

The recession has been overhyped by the press that is why it is now dripping out that things aint as bad as they were made out, it is not armageddon. It has made people think about how they were budgetting which isn't a bad thing, which won't have helped season ticket sales. A proportion of those who haven't renewed ( not all ) will be the doom mongers who are also moaners at BP, so we may get an atmosphere at BP more like away games

Far from being overhyped by the media, there seems to have been a co-ordinated attempt to 'talk up' the economy since the G20 in April, with all the chatter about 'green shoots'-which appear to be caused mainly by companies stocking up on inventory again after shedding them when things were crumbling before 'quantitative easing' kicked in. Don't take my word for it but read around both the mainstream press and the so-called blogosphere, and look at what the billionaire investors and superstar economists are worrying about.

The reason why we're not feeling it as some thought we might is because governments have flooded the economy with money that isn't really backed up with anything and, as already mentioned, lowered interest rates. Further down the line lies possibly another banking crisis (the banks are still profoundly troubled), and both public spending cuts and tax increases to pay for the bank bail outs and economic stimulus packages. Oh, and mass unemployment as the public sector crumbles. At least one analyst of all this, who has been correct about many issues in the past and predicted the banking meltdown (Gerald Celente), predicts that the US stimulus package is 'the mother of all bubbles' and destined to burst before too long, dragging much of the world economy down with it.

As far as Latics are concerned, when 3000 or fewer season tickets have been sold at a time when the economy has been tweaked so that people feel better off in their pockets (so that they'll continue spending) is not a cause for optimism however anybody tries to paint it as such.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you honestly trying to say more people have more money in their pockets than this time last year ?

I don't know about everybody, but some must have, for reasons already mentined. I for one am feeling the benefit of lower mortgage payments, although I know we'll be hit with tax increases and by spending cuts to pay for the banking bailouts and everything else they're doing.

Here's a quote from Martin Wolf in the Financial Times, for example:

'Green shoots are bursting out. Or so we are told. But before concluding that the recession will soon be over, we must ask what history tells us. It is one of the guides we have to our present predicament. Fortunately, we do have the data. Unfortunately, the story they tell is an unhappy one.'

The rest can be found here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b31c06a2-5a7a-11...144feabdc0.html

Are you honestly trying to say more people have more money in their pockets than this time last year ?

People with the same income and a variable rate mortgage will certainly have a higher disposable income now than 12 months ago. The Government wants them to spend that extra money - many will choose to reduce their loan and credit card debts though.

It's when they start losing their jobs that the situation changes big time for them.

Here's a quote from Martin Wolf in the Financial Times, for example:

'Green shoots are bursting out. Or so we are told. But before concluding that the recession will soon be over, we must ask what history tells us. It is one of the guides we have to our present predicament. Fortunately, we do have the data. Unfortunately, the story they tell is an unhappy one.'

The rest can be found here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b31c06a2-5a7a-11...144feabdc0.html

I look up the term malign stagflation and end up reading about the JAK Members Bank and the Sicilian Mafia....Wiki hey?

Anyone else reach for the scroll wheel when they see a Corporal Jones post and a wall of text? :D

Yes I do yes. Ive read all the text on this thread except what he has to say and have navigated my way through this site for atleast 6 months now by not reading anything he says its wonderful I think others should try it :grin:

Yes I do yes. Ive read all the text on this thread except what he has to say and have navigated my way through this site for atleast 6 months now by not reading anything he says its wonderful I think others should try it :grin:

And I, in turn, have never even noticed Glossop Latic before.

The contributions of some people on here give you the impression of what it must have been like to listen to the hiss of the turntable going round without a record on it.

People with the same income and a variable rate mortgage will certainly have a higher disposable income now than 12 months ago. The Government wants them to spend that extra money - many will choose to reduce their loan and credit card debts though.

It's when they start losing their jobs that the situation changes big time for them.

Prices are also falling at the moment. There are a lot of people doing perfectly well at the moment. The catch is that for millions of people who might be 5% or 10% better off there are hundreds of thousands whose income has fallen to a fraction of what it was at. No question which is going to have a bigger impact on the sales of £300 commodities.

:grin: Don't think you've missed anything new from him in the last six months!

Oh, but he has an acolyte...Zorro.

:grin: Don't think you've missed anything new from him in the last six months!

Oh, but he has an acolyte...Zorro.

I must be an "acolyte" too then. :grin:

Do you put your fingers in your ears and scream "Ner, ner, ner. I can't hear you!" while scrolling past CJ's posts?

The truth's out there Pete and your blind optimism (and abuse) is tiresome at times.

<awaits abuse> + <drums fingers>

I must be an "acolyte" too then. :grin:

Do you put your fingers in your ears and scream "Ner, ner, ner. I can't hear you!" while scrolling past CJ's posts?

The truth's out there Pete and your blind optimism (and abuse) is tiresome at times.

<awaits abuse> + <drums fingers>

Don't think I have ever abused you, nor want to. Very happy if you agree with Cj. Life's rich tapestry and all that.

And I always read his posts, never scrolling past them. My blind optimism means that I keep hoping he posts something new.

P.S. Why is the phrase "blind pessimism" never used?

Edited by LaticsPete

I think I might be able to summarise all those posts for you.. :D

terror_warning_new.jpg

Edited by singe

Mate, I work in property.......

Call me what you will. It's all about opinions. There are aren't many more interesting characters on this site than CJ.

Pull your head out of his arse so we can hear you....

Edited by Yard Dog

Don't think I have ever abused you, nor want to. Very happy if you agree with Cj. Life's rich tapestry and all that.

And I always read his posts, never scrolling past them. My blind optimism means that I keep hoping he posts something new.

P.S. Why is the phrase "blind pessimism" never used?

And the usual content-free whinge from Latics Pete qualifies as new in his eyes, presumably.

Isn't it a bit on the, er, pessimistic side to be unable to come up with a refutation of what somebody has just said about you?

You're confusing being " be unable" with " not be bothered in your case".

Back on topic for others. If the figure is around 3000 sold then that is better than seemed likely at the end of last season. Not wonderful but a similar base of money up front as last summer, maintaining cash flow etc. Would we like to have more? Of course, but credit to everyone who has shown their support again at a time , for many, of financial belt tightening.

Blind pessimism . It's the future. Except we don't have a future