Latics Sign Gregan Back

I remain to be impressed at this news to be honest. One of my most critical opinions of Gregan is his lack of threat at set-pieces. Given his size and presence you'd think he'd he yielding somewhere in the region of 4 or 5 goals a season but it's rare when he even gets onto a header despite him being in the box every time we get a corner.

At the end of last season we were seeing the better Gregan, but coincidentally at the same time Rueben hit rock bottom. He's targetted by pacey players and Baz Savage made a complete mug out of him when we played the Bindippers.

It does look increasingly like a 2nd choice signing to me. Of course if he returns to his best form; great. But I'm doubting that in all honesty.

So, we still require:

1 goalkeeper

1 centre back

1 central midfield playmaker

1 natural winger

2 centre forwards (goalscorer and target man)

For me we're still looking a pretty small team physically. I think we need a couple of bruisers in that lot including a beast up front and a dominating centre half.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards the back end of last season gregan was the only player n the pitch who looked comfortable and trying to play with passion.

Eardley looked to be getting back to his best once Sheridan left.

Step backwards, can do a job but with talk of Rehman/Trotters coming back it's hardly worth getting excited about. I said fair play to Penney for having the balls to make a big call and possibly out of desperation as gone against initial judgment. He does look like he trimmed down a bit and with a bit of luck sorted his attitude - obviously done enough to convince Penney so maybe alright, Just would've preferred whole new fresh start to tell the truth

These are the FACTS

Gregans form hit rock bottom when he had all them problems!

Gregan lacks a turn of pace!

BUT

He wins 9/10 headers

Was no better or worse than any other player through our problems last year

He give a presence on the pitch, Strikers dont like playing against him

He is experienced

And would probably catch most L1 and L2 starting 11's

Many L1 managers singled him out for praise

MORE THAN HAPPY MR PENNY!!!!

I remain to be impressed at this news to be honest. One of my most critical opinions of Gregan is his lack of threat at set-pieces. Given his size and presence you'd think he'd he yielding somewhere in the region of 4 or 5 goals a season but it's rare when he even gets onto a header despite him being in the box every time we get a corner.

At the end of last season we were seeing the better Gregan, but coincidentally at the same time Rueben hit rock bottom. He's targetted by pacey players and Baz Savage made a complete mug out of him when we played the Bindippers.

It does look increasingly like a 2nd choice signing to me. Of course if he returns to his best form; great. But I'm doubting that in all honesty.

So, we still require:

1 goalkeeper

1 centre back

1 central midfield playmaker

1 natural winger

2 centre forwards (goalscorer and target man)

For me we're still looking a pretty small team physically. I think we need a couple of bruisers in that lot including a beast up front and a dominating centre half.

I think you are more or less right ont he players, but maybe one or two positions will be held back for loans etc.

As we all know, Penney was quoted as saying 4, we have had 2.

How many do you expect to be signed up in the next couple of days?

ie in time for pre season training. It would be ideal to have the bulk of the tema in place.

As Penney also qas quoted as saying 4, we have had 2.

cant say im over the moon with this one, our defence wasnt great last season and we got the same as last season (unless JJ is a massive improvement on Daniel Jones).

I dont mind Greegs but I would like to see another (better) CB signed up with Greegs/Rubes fighting it out for the other place

Fantastic news, this Dave Penney really does seem to know what he's doing.

Thats made my day and Stitch KTF's as well I'll bet.

This news will undoubtedly annoy one or two on here, but good thats fine by me. :lol:

Agree with all three of your statements!

Im sorry but im goin to live up to my username now.

I cant belive how many people are happy that we have signed this waster back im gutted, he's too fat,too slow and too old we may have well put a training cone in defence at some points last year the way that the likes of savage, rickets and any other skriker who was faster than a snail went past him. Also he wasnt much good for the young lads always havin a go at eardley and taylor when ever HE f****d up. It was one of my happiest days as a latics fan when we let him go no im compleatly gutted.

I thought Penny had a good eye for a signing and knew what he was doin in the transfer market but his last 2 signings havent filled me with joy to say the least.

This signing shows that TTA have got no money and no ambition for our club why release someone and then bring them back they'll be offering dux a playing contract next

Anyway rant over and i hope they prove me wrong by bringin in at least a half decent player but i cant see it relegation battle for us next season

:mad:

I thought Penny had a good eye for a signing and knew what he was doin in the transfer market but his last 2 signings havent filled me with joy to say the least.

This signing shows that TTA have got no money and no ambition for our club why release someone and then bring them back they'll be offering dux a playing contract next

Anyway rant over and i hope they prove me wrong by bringin in at least a half decent player but i cant see it relegation battle for us next season

Unbelievable.

I think it's the people of this town who sit on their fat arses watching Stelling and co on a Saturday who have 'no ambition' for this club.

I think under the circumstances TTA have done pretty bloody well by the club over the last 5 years all things considered.

Did not see that one coming. I stand by what I said when he left he could do a job for us but his wages were probably quite high. He will probably have taken a pay cut to come back. We still need another centre-half and depending on who it is it might mean Gregan isn't always first choice (a good thing in my opinion). I'm not sure how it works but if we haven't been paying him for the last month or so does that mean we have saved on his wages (could be £20k) or will we have had to have paid him up in full. Maybe this is where the money has come from sort of like an "if you can find a better deal elsewhere we will let you go now but our offer still stands for a month or so if you want to take it then" type of thing. I'm happy about this primarily because I'm not too sure who else is around who is better and in our price range and would come, (I think not signing Zach Rehman might have been a good thing), but I'm not over the moon.

Edited by rudemedic

very surprised & very happy.

especially if he's shifted some weight as reported which seems to suggest he's well up for it.

signing back one of our best players on less money with what looks like a self imposed rocket up his arse? fantastic news.

I think I still need to come round. Have we really signed Gregan back?

I'm happy enough with him returning, I do think he is a very good defender, makes up for a lack of pace with a good defensive footballing brain. Someone who can also take a touch before playing the ball out of defence. After all of Joe's praises for Gregan I thought the club would make every effort to re-sign Sean. His wages were a big issue as he'd lose the money Leeds were paying him each week to begin with.

He does look to be much leaner than last season and he looks delighted to be back here. I never thought he held much affection for the club but it's great to see him looking pleased and hungry? to be playing in a Latics shirt.

Only thing that concerns me is that We've a defence that has only been added to with the addition of Jacobson, is he going to be enough to stop us leaking the goals we did last season? We conceeded loads! Unless Penney can get them working as a unit better or he has more additions up his sleeve we'll have to see. One thing for sure we won't see the capitulations like we saw against Hereford and MK Dons, might help the defensive record out!

First let me say, I,m not local anymore, so don't see as many games as the majority -still with more than fifty five years as a supporter I,ve seen a few ups and downs and about turns at BP - can't see why the Gregan re sign is anything but good news -

We need an old head -and from time to time someone who will give a few verbals -to his own players as well as the opposition

Gregan is proven at this level -its up to the manager and coaches to make sure he performs all the time - not just when he feels like it

No transfer fee - hopefully wages less than they where - DP still has money to spend?

One year only -helps DP get through his first year -no ongoing commitment

Worthington and Purdie can provide the legs -let gregan sit and intimidate the opposition

Big joe and DP both rated his efforts last year and I'll go along with both of them

Of course all depends on DP having laid down the ground rules and from what I have heard thats taken as done!!