• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I would want it to happen to them but say IF they did go bust and out of the league, who would take the 24th place in our league? Shrewsbury would want it because they got to the final of the play-offs but Bury could also try to claim the spot by finishing 3rd in League 2.

Things not looking good

apparently if no bids are forthcoming by the end of the week, the club may have to be wound up

Wow...didn't expect that. I'd be utterly amazed if a club of Southamptons stature wasn't able to find an investor though. Especially when others, ourselves included, over the years have done. There is one massive difference I suppose tho....the state of the economy. Could that be a factor in what is possibly the first major footballing casualty in this modern day of greed and busting yaself for glory?

Not that I would want it to happen to them but say IF they did go bust and out of the league, who would take the 24th place in our league? Shrewsbury would want it because they got to the final of the play-offs but Bury could also try to claim the spot by finishing 3rd in League 2.

Nobody...we'd probably play with 23 teams and 3 relegation places I reckon.

if they do go out of business then northampton would be back up then chester would be up.

northampton taking southamptons fixtures and chester taking northamptons.

But who would take Chesters fixtures???? and then so on and so on and so on down the football league pyramid..

Somebody won't be happy eventually

But who would take Chesters fixtures???? and then so on and so on and so on down the football league pyramid..

And if you've set your budget for a League2 season and brought players in for that and then 2 weeks before the season you're in League1 it's going to be a quick trip back down isn't it...

Who ever finished in the last relegation spot in the conference. then if its a southern team who goes up then the most southern team that is in conference north will be in the conference south.

The more you hear of the mess these clubs are in now then we should all be extremely grateful for TTA.

I know a few moan about signings etc etc but just to be in a decent financial position is fantastic.

The fact we are able to sign players and have even a limited budget is fantastic for a club of our level.

Thanks TTA

I hope southampton do get out of it

but...

I think stitch has a point in that if someone like hereford or rochdale went bust, who have never really gone beyond the bottom two divisions of the football league, the fat cats would not blink an eyelid.

If a big ex prem club or established championship club went to the wall, I think that would open the eyes of one or two people, and would not be surprised if a few more followed.

The more you hear of the mess these clubs are in now then we should all be extremely grateful for TTA.

I know a few moan about signings etc etc but just to be in a decent financial position is fantastic.

The fact we are able to sign players and have even a limited budget is fantastic for a club of our level.

Thanks TTA

+1 :chubb:

Thanks TTA

100% with you on that too ,well done simon c ,simon b and danny g and not forget ah keep up the great work

But we shouldn't be happy . That's our trouble. Complacent with Div 3 mediocrity as other clubs pass us by.

:wink:

Aye, there's a few clubs that have been in the league above us since we came down to this level:

Bury, Luton, Gillingham, Crewe, Rotherham?

Edited by real

But we shouldn't be happy . That's our trouble. Complacent with Div 3 mediocrity as other clubs pass us by.

:wink:

Do you want some then?

People are right to say we owe TTA some thanks. However, the idea that we are 'in a decent financial position', or however people want to put it, is misplaced. How can a club that still loses thousands of pounds every week, losses which are covered out of the owners' pockets, and owns a deteriorating stadium, the poor facilities within which may be partly responsible for its shrinking fanbase, be considered to be in a decent financial position?

What would happen if the owners decided that they could no longer afford, or no longer wished to subsidise the club? Would wealthy benefactors be queuing up outside our three-sided ground, eager to take over a plan for the club that depends on an housing market which, it seems widely agreed, will never recover to the level it was at when the plan was drawn up?

Do you want some then?

People are right to say we owe TTA some thanks. However, the idea that we are 'in a decent financial position', or however people want to put it, is misplaced. How can a club that still loses thousands of pounds every week, losses which are covered out of the owners' pockets, and owns a deteriorating stadium, the poor facilities within which may be partly responsible for its shrinking fanbase, be considered to be in a decent financial position?

What would happen if the owners decided that they could no longer afford, or no longer wished to subsidise the club? Would wealthy benefactors be queuing up outside our three-sided ground, eager to take over a plan for the club that depends on an housing market which, it seems widely agreed, will never recover to the level it was at when the plan was drawn up?

Allow me to step forward and answer this one, for about the 5th time. TTA have made it perfectly clear in several Latics World interviews that we are actually in a "decent financial position" and that the club is self-sufficient for bills all off-the field related ie. Lecky, Taxman, Stadium Upkeep etc etc. The only place where we aren't self-sufficent is on the playing staff side. Their promise to never leave the club in financial peril rings true as they have again, several times, re-iterated that all playing contracts are their "burden" of which if they ever were to leave, they would make sure the money was there to fund what they've agreed to. Hence...any new owner in the future will have no off-field debts to cover and therefore be able to come in a fund the playing budget, just as TTA are currently. Obviously TTA would like more through the gate, so their "burden" is less. Unfortunately, that's a problem as we know.

Hope that clears up the myth that we're in dire financial straits when we're actually one of the most secure in League One...at present. Think I might change my sig below to this...just so you get the message this time.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Allow me to step forward and answer this one, for about the 5th time. TTA have made it perfectly clear in several Latics World interviews that we are actually in a "decent financial position" and that the club is self-sufficient for bills all off-the field related ie. Lecky, Taxman, Stadium Upkeep etc etc. The only place where we aren't self-sufficent is on the playing staff side. Their promise to never leave the club in financial peril rings true as they have again, several times, re-iterated that all playing contracts are their "burden" of which if they ever were to leave, they would make sure the money was there to fund what they've agreed to. Hence...any new owner in the future will have no off-field debts to cover and therefore be able to come in a fund the playing budget, just as TTA are currently. Obviously TTA would like more through the gate, so their "burden" is less. Unfortunately, that's a problem as we know.

Hope that clears up the myth that we're in dire financial straits when we're actually one of the most secure in League One...at present. Think I might change my sig below to this...just so you get the message this time.

Actually you've cleared nothing up, and I don't recall you having posted on the matter before. If you have I'm sorry not to have noticed this message from on high. Mea culpa.

Just listen to what you're saying. The club is said to be financially self-sufficient for off the field matters (although it is far from clear what self-sufficient means here), but not on the playing side. This would be all very well if it wasn't for the inconvnient fact that this is a football club, and that the playing costs far outweigh all others. Therefore, the club is dependent on weekly subsidies from the owners pockets.

I believe their promise to be sincere, but matters may not always be in their hands. Businesses have been known to go under or see dramatic falls in profitability, sometimes suddenly. In these momentous and in many ways unprecedented times, economically speaking, things could take a sudden turn for the worse, and few businesses are immune, including TTA's. So, too, could the cost of those things you claim the club is self-sufficient in rise dramtically as the cost of the emergency measures keeping the economy afloat begins to bite and oil prices continue to fluctuate dramatically. In any case, wasn't TTA's promise based on the idea that the club would move towards complete self-sufficiency through the stadium redevelopment?

I never said that we are in dire financial straits in comparison with the rest of this division; I said that the idea that we are financially secure is a myth. To be secure in relation to many clubs at this level isn't saying a lot when you think about it, either.

The thing is, owners of football clubs, despite all the claims, are rarely involved with their "business heads" on.

They own them as a hobby, and like most hobbies, they cost more than they bring in. There are few clubs that actually make a profit, so you can only look at any one club in comparison to others in a similar situation / the same division.

Golf, Fast Cars, Lap Dancing clubs, Nose powder - and owning a football club - a strong chance of losing a fair amount of money on all of them, but people do it, time and time again.

We ARE more secure than a lot of other clubs, at a guess, more secure than 75% of clubs outside the prem.

When and if TTA's business plan for the club comes to fruition, we may be able to say that OAFC Ltd is financially secure, inasmuch as there will be 7 day a week, 365 day a year non-footballing income streams that cover those footballing expenses over and above what OAFC (the football club) earns from matches, merchandise etc., hopefully with enough left over to enable sustained investment in the football club.

Unfortunately, we all know exactly where those plans sit for now.

In the meantime, through a combination of capital investment (e.g. buying back the ground) and restructuring, TTA have done a very good job of minimising the club's operating loss (if figures are to be believed, from up to £50k per week down to more like £10k), whilst ensuring we have a squad every season capable of competing at the right end of the table.

So, yes, while we need that £10k injection every week we cannot claim to be financially secure. But we're in a better position than many, and if TTA were to bale out for any reason, we're in a far better position than when they arrived.