moving ground rumour

The new stadium is one reason bolton have prospered. They were already on the up football-wise before it was built, however.

As said, however, Blitz, in the Chron, has dismissed the idea of a permanent groundshare. What he appears to be talking about is not ruling out a temporary one at another club's ground.

PErsonally I ahve the greatest problem with that.

A significant number of clubs have gone to temporary sharing, only for it to end up years. Especially in the lower and non leagues

Brighton, Charlton for example

Mind you Liverpool City Council have said Liverpool & Everton must share if they are to be considered for 2018 World Cup.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Oldham originally, lived there 18 years but as soon as I could I hightailed it out of there never to go back. I now live in Bury and the only reason I go to Oldham now is for Latics or to see the parts of my family that haven't had the good sense to get out of the dying town.

I know of at least 4 or 5 others that come over from Bury to go to the games and several that go from oop Rochdale way.

Oldham is dead, it is just taking a while to go through the death throws.

As opposed to that thriving suburban paradise that is..... Bury? I've lived in Bradford and Huddersfield for a few years each, and saw exactly the same things as in Oldham i.e. poor housing, pot holed roads, ethnic and social division and limited job opportunities. I'm not having for a second that Bury, Rochdale or any other Northern market town is signifcantly better or worse than Oldham. Like most places, there are good areas and not so good areas.

Where is the evidence that there are any alternatives being looked at? We were told only recently that the plan was still to redevelop BP.

Sigh. Look at what Simon Blitz says in the Chron. He says towards the end of the interview that he wouldn't rule out a temporary groundshare while a site within Oldham is being found. We are the ones looking to build a new ground ........

not only are you quoting yourself you have started to contradict yourself with the hour. Why are you so insistent that BP is the only option?

A significant number of clubs have gone to temporary sharing, only for it to end up years. Especially in the lower and non leagues

Brighton, Charlton for example

Yes. You can easily envisage us shacking up with Rochdale, Bury or whoever, only for another phase in the unfolding economic crisis to put a projected new Latics stadium back to sometime never. Think about the implications of that...

not only are you quoting yourself you have started to contradict yourself with the hour. Why are you so insistent that BP is the only option?

I'm not contradicting myself, and neither am I insisting on anything. I'm simply reminding us that we were told only recently that the redevelopment of BP was still on the cards. All this talk of unspecified other sites has come about in the last week or so, while SB's talk of not ruling out a groundshare at another club's ground has been made available to us, via the Chronicle, only today.

As opposed to that thriving suburban paradise that is..... Bury? I've lived in Bradford and Huddersfield for a few years each, and saw exactly the same things as in Oldham i.e. poor housing, pot holed roads, ethnic and social division and limited job opportunities. I'm not having for a second that Bury, Rochdale or any other Northern market town is signifcantly better or worse than Oldham. Like most places, there are good areas and not so good areas.

Exactly. Some people need to get real. Oldham is not without its problems, to be sure, but you only have to travel the short distance to inner-city Manchester or Salford to get them in perspective. None of Oldham's problems preclude the possibility of a successful football club.

I'm not contradicting myself, and neither am I insisting on anything. I'm simply reminding us that we were told only recently that the redevelopment of BP was still on the cards. All this talk of unspecified other sites has come about in the last week or so, while SB's talk of not ruling out a groundshare at another club's ground has been made available to us, via the Chronicle, only today.

stating "Where is the evidence..." and then pointing to the evidence looks contradictory to me. Anyway I am being sucked into this by your unfailing negativity again - why can't you provide anything new as an alternative or move the debate forward?

Simon Blitz has already dismissed an out-of-town groundshare.

From the rarely wrong "Managing director Mr Corney reckons a ground-share scheme would make financial sense, pointing out he would jump at the chance to build and share a new stadium which was equidistant between two neighbouring clubs."

stating "Where is the evidence..." and then pointing to the evidence looks contradictory to me. Anyway I am being sucked into this by your unfailing negativity again - why can't you provide anything new as an alternative or move the debate forward?

You, like MarkOasis, seem to simply want an argument for its own sake. Nobody's asking you to participate, so don't let yourself be 'sucked in' if you dont want to be.

Have you ever thought that my negativity is unfailing because I feel...unfailingly negative about the club after the fifteen or so disastrous years just passed, with no signs of anything getting better (unless you think that the apparent tearing up of yet another set of stadium plans, a possible moving into the stadium of a fourth division neighbour and starting yet again with another new manager and playing squad is something to be positive about.)

The debate has moved forward: in case you haven't noticed, we have been discussing significant new developments in the OAFC saga for the past two or three days.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

From the rarely wrong "Managing director Mr Corney reckons a ground-share scheme would make financial sense, pointing out he would jump at the chance to build and share a new stadium which was equidistant between two neighbouring clubs."

From the same Chron interview: 'Athletic chairman Simon Blitz has distanced himself from his business partner’s comments. about a possible move.

“It is a pipe dream and realistically it probably will never happen,” he declared.

Mr Blitz reassured fans there is no way he will ever sanction a move to Bury, Rochdale or Stockport, although he wouldn’t rule out sharing a new stadium with a neighbour. But, should that happen, he says he would still be looking to find a site for a new stadium within the borough of Oldham.

Mr Blitz also reaffirmed the commitment of the three owners to the club, saying: “You can see our commitment in the team we are assembling for the new season.'

'Mr Blitz reassured fans there is no way he will ever sanction a move to Bury, Rochdale or Stockport, although he wouldn’t rule out sharing a new stadium with a neighbour. But, should that happen, he says he would still be looking to find a site for a new stadium within the borough of Oldham. '

To be fair, I suppose the above statement from Simon Blitz could be taken as both a hint that a temporary ground share at the stadium of one of the above clubs might be a possibility being looked at, or else an invitation to one of those clubs to share a new ground in Oldham.

The confusing bit is where he says: 'should that happen he would STILL BE LOOKING to find a site for a new stadium within the borough of Oldham.'

Can't say I could see any of those clubs wanting to make their base in Oldham, though. What would be in it for them?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

'Mr Blitz reassured fans there is no way he will ever sanction a move to Bury, Rochdale or Stockport, although he wouldn’t rule out sharing a new stadium with a neighbour. But, should that happen, he says he would still be looking to find a site for a new stadium within the borough of Oldham. '

To be fair, I suppose the above statement from Simon Blitz could be taken as both a hint that a temporary ground share at the stadium of one of the above clubs might be a possibility being looked at, or else an invitation to one of those clubs to share a new ground in Oldham.

The confusing bit is where he says: 'should that happen he would STILL BE LOOKING to find a site for a new stadium within the borough of Oldham.'

Can't say I could see any of those clubs wanting to make their base in Oldham, though. What would be in it for them?

As you highlighted earlier, temporarily sharing a ground whilst we press ahead with the redevelopment of boundary park/building of a new stadium, with plans and funding in place, and ground sharing with no concrete alternative/future plan in place are two very different things.

Im sure most latics fans could tolerate playing at spotland for a couple/few years if everything was in place to press ahead with redeveloping boundary park or building a new stadium.

Im sure most latics fans could tolerate playing at spotland for a couple/few years if everything was in place to press ahead with redeveloping boundary park or building a new stadium.

Most perhaps, but inevitably not all, for reasons already outlined. The question is what would another fall in income because of more fans giving up do to the prospects of the club?

its all a smoke screen.....get the fans thinking the worst case scenario is going to happen an we have to share with another team....then when most seemingly go for it,takes the heat out of finding an alternative site.

by doing this the club is taking advantage of the very very low building costs in this current climate,safe in the knowledge that bp has outline permission for housing and other things....get the deal concluded then announce bp will be all housing,and the cost offsets most of the new build.

so is that progress or stagnation???

its all a smoke screen.....get the fans thinking the worst case scenario is going to happen an we have to share with another team....then when most seemingly go for it,takes the heat out of finding an alternative site.

by doing this the club is taking advantage of the very very low building costs in this current climate,safe in the knowledge that bp has outline permission for housing and other things....get the deal concluded then announce bp will be all housing,and the cost offsets most of the new build.

so is that progress or stagnation???

It's neither-it's pure speculation.

It's neither-it's pure speculation.

ok....

staying at bp doing nothing with the ground and leaving it like blackpool a 3 sided ground isnt classed as stagnation in your eyes...

my previous comment of it being a smoke screen whilst we get the plans in place etc etc etc is speculation.....its a done deal.

like i said previously,ill sit back and wait for the official news,then have a wry smile to myself.

meanwhile you will continue to berrate our club to anybody willing to listen or reply of how :censored: we have been for 15 years and done nothing about it.

ok....

staying at bp doing nothing with the ground and leaving it like blackpool a 3 sided ground isnt classed as stagnation in your eyes...

my previous comment of it being a smoke screen whilst we get the plans in place etc etc etc is speculation.....its a done deal.

like i said previously,ill sit back and wait for the official news,then have a wry smile to myself.

meanwhile you will continue to berrate our club to anybody willing to listen or reply of how :censored: we have been for 15 years and done nothing about it.

You making no sense. What, for example, does 'my previous comment of it being a smoke screen whilst we get the plans in place etc etc etc is speculation.....its a done deal,' mean when it's at home. It's gibberish.

Meanwhile, I haven't advocated staying in a three-sided BP (or advocated anything, actually.) Nor have I 'berated the club to anybody willing to listen or reply'; I've given some sincerely held opinions on a messageboard set up for that purpose. I haven't even insisted on anybody agreeing with me.

I will believe what you're saying when it's confirmed. Forgive me for regarding it as pure speculation until then.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

This is absolute bollocks. We need new thinking at this club fast.

What is wrong with what he said there? If Oldham Athletic moved out of town permanently then I'd stop supporting. I'd like to stay at BP, but can understand if we have to move ground. But if a new ground is not in Oldham/Royton/Chadderton/Failsworth/Saddleworth then they will no longer be representing Oldham, therefore no longer representing me. And as a result I'd stop going, and probably stop watching football....and I'm pretty sure I'm not on my own with that.

You, like MarkOasis, seem to simply want an argument for its own sake. Nobody's asking you to participate, so don't let yourself be 'sucked in' if you dont want to be.

Have you ever thought that my negativity is unfailing because I feel...unfailingly negative about the club after the fifteen or so disastrous years just passed, with no signs of anything getting better (unless you think that the apparent tearing up of yet another set of stadium plans, a possible moving into the stadium of a fourth division neighbour and starting yet again with another new manager and playing squad is something to be positive about.)

The debate has moved forward: in case you haven't noticed, we have been discussing significant new developments in the OAFC saga for the past two or three days.

1. Where has the apparent tearing up of another set of stadium plans been evidenced?

2. Starting again with a new squad and manager is a positive thing after the last 5 years, especially with what has been seen so far.

3. A possible moving to a temporary home is a positive thing if the end game - as stated - is a new stadium. Although todays comments by Simon Blitz suggest we won't be moving anywhere on a temporary basis.

Just because it's not BP being redeveloped you deem it to be negative option. We aren't going to be sharing a "fourth division ground" with a neighbour - read the words you posted.

You've got a big downer on anything and anyone that doesn't agree with your views.

Oh - and thanks for setting me straight on my rights here.