moving ground rumour

It's the town not the club? Do we know that the Lancashire clubs who have left us standing got significant help from their councils, if that's what you mean?

By town I mean more than just the council. I mean the public apathy et al.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By town I mean more than just the council. I mean the public apathy et al.

Wasn't the Bolton public apathetic when they were getting 3500 watching them in the old Fourth Division, for example? All those clubs I've mentioned went through similar doldrums to ours. Their good fortune was in deciding to do something about it when the times were, in a lot of respects, more favourable to their recovery.

Wasn't the Oldham public 'unapathetic' when we had 10,000 or so ST holders in the PL? Or took 30,000 to Wembley in 1990? It doesn't matter that many of them were glory seekers. Where were the extra 19,000 regular Bolton fans when they were in Division Four?

Wasn't the Bolton public apathetic when they were getting 3500 watching them in the old Fourth Division, for example? All those clubs I've mentioned went through similar doldrums to ours. Their good fortune was in deciding to do something about it when the times were, in a lot of respects, more favourable to their recovery.

Wasn't the Oldham public 'unapathetic' when we had 10,000 or so ST holders in the PL? Or took 30,000 to Wembley in 1990? It doesn't matter that many of them were glory seekers. Where were the extra 19,000 regular Bolton fans when they were in Division Four?

All of that is correct. I'm confused...

The club are looking to 4 differing strategies to provide a home for the club which has direct economic benefits and also provides improved facilities for fans... this will increase the chance of the good fortune which befell others in the area falling on us next. A good thing no?

I can see the economic argument, but it just seems like another example of how our Lancashire neighbours-clubs in similar towns to Oldham-can not only have football at a higher level but have their own modern stadiums too. If they can, why not Oldham?

Lancashire neighbours with higher level football & modern stadiums:

Blackburn

Blackpool

Burnley

Bolton

Preston

Wigan

I think that we should aspire to achieve what they have all achieved - but obviously Blackburn/Preston/Wigan and to a lesser extent Blackpool have benefited from a significant investment by a key individual.

Bolton? Not sure how they got the council to produce such a magnificent stadium for them and Burnley - well it's a decent enough (if old) stadium.

We can and should aspire to emulate these clubs.

Edited by TheBigDog

SELNEC UNITED - Up the sellers :grin:

(anyone remember what Selnec stands for ?)

South East Lancashire North East Cheshire. :grin:

Anyone else remember childhood days out on the SELNEC no. 400 bus up to Bolton and down to Stockport (and the Airport for a special treat!).

QUOTE (BP1960 @ Jul 6 2009, 15:57 PM)

SELNEC UNITED - Up the sellers

(anyone remember what Selnec stands for ?)

South East Lancashire North East Cheshire.

Anyone else remember childhood days out on the SELNEC no. 400 bus up to Bolton and down to Stockport (and the Airport for a special treat!).

Latics fans may need that bus again :wink:

Lancashire neighbours with higher level football & modern stadiums:

Blackburn

Blackpool

Burnley

Bolton

Preston

Wigan

I think that we should aspire to achieve what they have all achieved - but obviously Blackburn/Preston/Wigan and to a lesser extent Blackpool have benefited from a significant investment by a key individual.

Bolton? Not sure how they got the council to produce such a magnificent stadium for them and Burnley - well it's a decent enough (if old) stadium.

We can and should aspire to emulate these clubs.

Whenever I've said that there's been a rush of posts explaining why we couldn't possibly be so audacious as to try to place ourselves alongside these giants of world football who actually used to win things in the days of shawls and clogs.

Do you fancy being my Saddam-style stand-in and relieve me of some of the burden?

All of that is correct. I'm confused...

The club are looking to 4 differing strategies to provide a home for the club which has direct economic benefits and also provides improved facilities for fans... this will increase the chance of the good fortune which befell others in the area falling on us next. A good thing no?

If the four strategies are serious, then yes. However, the points you appear to be answering related to your own point about the apathy of the wider town rather than the club.

If the four strategies are serious, then yes. However, the points you appear to be answering related to your own point about the apathy of the wider town rather than the club.

How can the club be apathetic when they currently have 4 (public) strategies in place for the stadium alone?

How can the club be apathetic when they currently have 4 (public) strategies in place for the stadium alone?

I never said the club was apathetic. You said the town was apathetic about the club, and I compared this supposedly insurmountable apathy with the situations in other towns when their particular clubs were in the doldrums.

Guest sheridans_world
Looking at different options is no bad thing, but it seems odd to me to reassure everybody that redeveloping BP is still the aim and then, a short-time later, claim that it's only one of several options, some of which have never come up before. Especially when we consider the pallaver over getting planning permission in the first place.

Isnt it a good thing to keep re-evaluating your options and keeping them open before any firm commitment has been made?

Regardless of the "pallaver" of getting planning permission, why should that mean you are stuck to one path?

I never said the club was apathetic. You said the town was apathetic about the club, and I compared this supposedly insurmountable apathy with the situations in other towns when their particular clubs were in the doldrums.

Yeah, but what you've failed to account for is the fact that Oldham's public is way more apathetic than any of these other Lancastrian towns' pathetic apathetics.

Yeah, but what you've failed to account for is the fact that Oldham's public is way more apathetic than any of these other Lancastrian towns' pathetic apathetics.

Hw was going to take account of that but decided he couldn't be bothered.

... and it's co-owned by Hornets and RMC so they'll have something to say about it

No it's not. Rochdale Football club bought out the rugby club, due to their crippling debts which saw them in admin. The rugby have no say in any matter regarding Spotland and do as they are told. The ground is owned by the football club. So the same goes for the council.

only 5,000 oldhamers bother to watch latics

3,000 bother to watch rochdale

3,000 bother to watch bury.

if we all merged into one team at one ground thats 11,000 fans in league 1.

People need to get real. BP is to big for latics. we only need a 7,000 seater stadium at best. We were lucky to get to the prem. Get real unless the TTA drop millions into bp we will rot in this league or worse go down again.

BP is to big for latics. we only need a 7,000 seater stadium at best. We were lucky to get to the prem. Get real unless the TTA drop millions into bp we will rot in this league or worse go down again.

We certainly can't go on the way we are anyway, we need to be thinking differently - and that means everybody, club, fans, owners....

People need to get real. BP is to big for latics. we only need a 7,000 seater stadium at best. We were lucky to get to the prem. Get real unless the TTA drop millions into bp we will rot in this league or worse go down again.

Is this the ultimate happy clapper satire?

Isnt it a good thing to keep re-evaluating your options and keeping them open before any firm commitment has been made?

Regardless of the "pallaver" of getting planning permission, why should that mean you are stuck to one path?

Firm commitment has been made-or did I imagine that a bit of BP has already been demolished?

In any case, you've got to commit to something sometime if anything's going to be done at all. How long is it now since Sports Park 2000 was first mooted? How long since clubs started upgrading their facilities? Every week that passes we fall further and further behind.

Edited by Corporal_Jones