Matty wolfenden

I hear a lot about matty wolfenden not being good enough for latics but if you look at his stats the last couple of seasons he looks about the same as lewis allessandra, and on top of that I think its only injuries that have let him down, when I saw him play I thought although he isnt the fastest he has a good eye for goal and on his day could be cracking for us, I remember against blackpool in playoff semi final he seemed the only one still with fight left in him.

if he remained injury free im sure we could see a better side of him and another young striker in contention for a place.

I hear a lot about matty wolfenden not being good enough for latics but if you look at his stats the last couple of seasons he looks about the same as lewis allessandra, and on top of that I think its only injuries that have let him down, when I saw him play I thought although he isnt the fastest he has a good eye for goal and on his day could be cracking for us, I remember against blackpool in playoff semi final he seemed the only one still with fight left in him.

if he remained injury free im sure we could see a better side of him and another young striker in contention for a place.

i feel sick :shock:

Guest sheridans_world

Not had chance to read your full post, but Wolfy is a cracking player.

Glad Penney has given him a chance to prove himself.

fair enough, but i think he could be a good player for us

:censored:, you were being serious?

Alright. Wolfy is a complete bag of bollocks. He will never be even half decent. The sooner we get him off the payroll the better. In short, he is completely inept and will never make it. I could do better and I have little to no ability.

Guest sheridans_world
:censored:, you were being serious?

Alright. Wolfy is a complete bag of bollocks. He will never be even half decent. The sooner we get him off the payroll the better. In short, he is completely inept and will never make it. I could do better and I have little to no ability.

I've bookmarked this post :wink:

im basing this on 7 starting appearances, 28 subs and 3 goals,

compare this with allessandra who has scored 5 goals with more appearances and more subs, so why isnt allessandra in the same boat?

lets twist it round, if wolfenden was fit and allessandra had an injury would you be saying the same thing?

all im saying is we should have a closer look at him when fit before pushing him out,

what if taylor was injured his first proffessional season? would we have done the same to him?

im basing this on 7 starting appearances, 28 subs and 3 goals,

compare this with allessandra who has scored 5 goals with more appearances and more subs, so why isnt allessandra in the same boat?

lets twist it round, if wolfenden was fit and allessandra had an injury would you be saying the same thing?

all im saying is we should have a closer look at him when fit before pushing him out,

what if taylor was injured his first proffessional season? would we have done the same to him?

Slight technical difference. Alice and Taylor have shown ability.

Alice has shown signs and has been shodden by some of our lot, I know little reason why.

Taylor I need not talk about.

Wolfy is our longest serving player and has shown no reason to keep him in half a decade.

If Wolfy was fit and Alice injured I would be getting a loan player in. The other way round I wouldn't.

don't waste your breath mate...some people on here wrote wolfy off a long time ago and are reluctant to give the lad a chance. i hope he has a good pre season. if not, we haven't really lost much.

I have (written him off) to be honest.

Only goals will change my mind.

Slight technical difference. Alice and Taylor have shown ability.

Alice has shown signs and has been shodden by some of our lot, I know little reason why.

Taylor I need not talk about.

Wolfy is our longest serving player and has shown no reason to keep him in half a decade.

If Wolfy was fit and Alice injured I would be getting a loan player in. The other way round I wouldn't.

fair point but wasnt he called up to the first team when players where injured long before allessandra and smalley?

he must have shown some potential to be called up before them 2,

I really think he just needs a bit more experience and more of a chance then 10 min runout at the end of a match when everyone else has given up

I think hes been unlucky with injuries and im sure when we had the striker crisis if he was fit and was given a chance people would be talking about him now aswell as allessandra and smalley

i've seen wolfy play quite a lot in the reserves and i agree that he could be a good player for us. he should be given a proper chance as his ability to score a goal can't be faulted. i imagine that a lot of the people who have written him off have never seen him play in the reserves and are therefore only able to judge him off what they have seen of him for the first team (arguably not that much). i hope he has a good pre season and penney does what a lot of latics fans won't do, and give him a chance.

i've seen wolfy play quite a lot in the reserves

So have the management. And in training. And in the first team.

They deem him as 'on the verge'. I disagree, but can live with that.

Anyway, my post is bookmarked and may bite me on the arse.

NB. Mr Pies, I completely disagree with you. Alice has the ability to be a good player at our level. TBH if he puts his head down he can be our best player for about ten years.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I watched Wolfy in reserves too, he certainly knew where the back of the net was, was a tricky customer. His trouble is his size and sometimes our tactics, hoof up top to him only to get beaten in the air by someone 2 foot taller than him?

Give him the ball in the box and he can do something with it.

I think the Wolf is better than he is given credit for. Sad to say, most of what I have seen him do is have really excellent control with back to goal, and something tells me that that isn't ever going to be his best game. I don't know if it's been because of his injury problems, but he has shown me a total lack of ability to run past not especially fast defenders, and that's almost fatal for centre forwards who escaped from the circus. It seems that if a defender shows him half a shoulder he has lost it. If he can't qualify as, "nippy," then he has nothing over someone a foot taller who could also finish.

PS - comparisons with Lewis suggest to me that people are taking drugs. Lewis have footballing vision and skills that you can't train. He's not the finished article, but what the finished article might be is a lot lot better than some of our recent hopes for upcoming strikers.

I've bookmarked this post :wink:

You do that, Si. The not-so-scary Wolf will not amount to anything at Latics. If he's lucky, he'll convince Penney he's worth a year's deal. Then, I predict he'll move on (downwards).

I really liked the look of him when he made his first few appearances, years ago, but his time for breaking into the first team has, in my opinion, passed.

Contrary to the original post, what he did have then was bags of pace, but he doesn't even seem to have that now, possibly due to injuries.

Step aside, Wolf. Ryan Brooke is the up and coming goalscorer bursting onto the scene.

hahahah ...wolves say's it all

I've looked at 2 topics tonight, 1 asks whether 'barn door' O Grady could make an impact - fair question i guess and this topic asks about 'mouse door' wolfy... :lol:

If these two are being looked upon at having a big contibution in our team this season then, without wishing to sound too critical of them, we are in for a long, hard, bloody tough season!!

Is he what? I was expecting some sort of rumour/revelation about his personal life from the thread title....

I'd love to be proved wrong but i really can't see Wolfenden ever making it. if he was ever gonna establish himself in the side you'd have expected him to do it the season before last (2007-08),but Smalley and Alessandra were getting picked ahead of him despite having hardly any first-team experience at the time. as i said, i hope he proves us all wrong,but it's unlikely.

Wolfy showed a couple of seasons back that he can do it at this level. When he played alongside Michael Ricketts and could work off him I thought they looked a decent pair, but the problem has been firstly keeping him fit and secondly finding him the right partner. He needs someone alongside him who can take control of the ball and bring him into play. I've always felt he looks quite sharp in front of goal but he lacks strength and more worryingly, pace. Alongside Alessandra we may see his best form, because that's what LA does, gets the ball under control and links the play, but can we really afford to play 2 youngsters up front who at the moment are short of goals? Wolfy may prove to be a prolific scorer at this level but at the moment it would be too much of a gamble to play him alongside Alessandra who is probably only ever going to be good for 10-15 a season. Too big a risk for me and unless we can get a more experienced target man who can weigh in with the goals, we can't afford to be throwing Wolfy in on the off chance he suddenly finds his feet. Maybe a run in the JPT will give him the chance to show what he can do.

Is he what? I was expecting some sort of rumour/revelation about his personal life from the thread title....

sorry didnt mean to mislead you,

all very valid points all id like to see is wolfy given more of a chance, I like the idea of seeing him more in the JPT, that could be his chance to prove something

sorry didnt mean to mislead you,

all very valid points all id like to see is wolfy given more of a chance, I like the idea of seeing him more in the JPT, that could be his chance to prove something

For the one match we have before we get knocked out!

I no longer have an opinion on wolfy. He has annoyed me for so long I just couldnt give a toss anymore, succed or not. I just hope that DP sees enough of him by august to say whether he is bobbins or has the potential to score 20 a season... and not just keep him tagging around this club like some sort of mascot of underachievement.

One thing is for certain, the fact we are even thinking about Wolfy is a sign that we are still seriously short up top. At the moment i'd imagine Smalley is clear of our other options as a starter... then its take your pick from O'Grady, Wolfy and Jigsaw.... not a good place to be.