Move away from BP now preferred option

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PARKING !!!!!!

What about our carbon footprint?

Seriously, even a redeveloped BP would have minimal parking so thats hardly a reason for it not to go ahead, plus as it's already been said a number of buses go past that area plus a fully operational metro by the time it's built.

obviously they'll have to do a report on the traffic implications before this gets anywhere near planning approval.

does anyone know how many cars they're able to drive at the same time round there? :grin:

Edited by dfOAFC

obviously they'll have to do a report on the traffic implications before this gets anywhere near planning approval.

does anyone know how many cars they're able to drive at the same time round there? :grin:

:lol:

My dad's record is eleven as I understand it... we could be in trouble! :wink:

oh...500 yards from the manchester border and even nearer to cittee...

crap road system to get there(its busy most of the day every day around that area).

no for me.

i agree, surely oldham athletic should more central to oldham rather than the very south west of the borough where 80% of the fans will have to travel two or three times the current distance to get too. we really could be called manchester north end like was muted years ago if we are on the border with manchester

and the road system there is far from excellent as some peaple have put, i travel to failsworth pool for work every week and theres always some roadworks around the end of broadway which are a pain in the backside

Ignoring the Citeh debate. The road system at the bottom of Broadway is excellent. It gets busy during the rush hour, sure, but on weekends and at night it would more than handle the load of a Latics match. And as Carl has said above it's possibly the most connected public transport spot in all of the North/East Greater Manchester area.

there isnt really a problem getting to the bottom of broadway....the only problems you would have are congestion coming out from the ground,only two ways in.

another site which could be viable is salmon fields....lots of empty units on there which i believe is owned by oldham council....that could be a good option...

i dont have a problem with the club moving...bp is a :censored:hole these days,and will only get worse as the owners wont want to fork out for upkeep...

incidently the new stadium idea has been timed to coincide with new board member....so any investment from him is a bonus.

another site which could be viable is salmon fields....lots of empty units on there which i believe is owned by oldham council....that could be a good option...

I'd rather go Salmon Fields than Failsworth. It's not far from BP, a lot closer to centre of Oldham, and I could still booze in the White Hart before/after the game. Win Win.

and the road system there is far from excellent as some peaple have put, i travel to failsworth pool for work every week and theres always some roadworks around the end of broadway which are a pain in the backside

With a bit of luck, they may have finished the roadworks by the time we get a stadium built!

there isnt really a problem getting to the bottom of broadway....the only problems you would have are congestion coming out from the ground,only two ways in.

That could be fixed though... you could easily put one out onto Oldham road on the far side, near the TA/Carwash. Widen the existing Broadway entrance near the allotments and re-open the old entrance right at the Broadway/Oldham Rd junction (obviously adding it into the lights filter).

Downside is that yet again there are virtually no pubs in that area. And there is no parking!!!

None starter in my book. Should have looked more closely at Holinwood Gas Works site.. on the M60, train stop, buses even a canal! And loads of pubs and food shops.

Great anyone wants me ill be buying a boat!

i agree, surely oldham athletic should more central to oldham rather than the very south west of the borough where 80% of the fans will have to travel two or three times the current distance to get too. we really could be called manchester north end like was muted years ago if we are on the border with manchester

. . . And your suggested site would be?

:unsure:

I'm doing something on this for Wednesday's M.E.N. (post embargo).

I'll be speaking to various people about it, both from Failsworth and elsewhere, and thought I'd give the good folks on here the chance to air their views.

If anyone wants to give me their thoughts (you'd have to give your name and be willing to have your pic taken) then contact me at: mike.keegan@men-news.co.uk or send me a PM.

Cheers

Mike

None starter in my book. Should have looked more closely at Holinwood Gas Works site.. on the M60, train stop, buses even a canal! And loads of pubs and food shops.

It would have been perfect but the council have had the land earmarked for office space for a long time now.

I'd rather go Salmon Fields than Failsworth. It's not far from BP, a lot closer to centre of Oldham, and I could still booze in the White Hart before/after the game. Win Win.

Again, a better place for a new ground but as it is in the middle of an industrial estate that the council are hoping will expand and bring new jobs to the area, it's a non-starter

what about the land behind sholver which was supposed to be a golf course which never got off the ground?

that'd be a nightmare for traffic.

i drove past this propsed site this morning and, although, it doesn't feel like it's in Oldham, technically it is and it isn't as close to City as you first think, therefore, that shouldn't be a problem.

although some (who live close to BP) might view it as being a ballache to get to (distance wise), as long as the facilities there are decent (which is the whole idea) people will just turn up earlier and have a few AT the ground before the match, i.e. spend money with the club.

personally, I don't care where a new ground is (within reason) as long as we get one.

Edited by dfOAFC

what about the land behind sholver which was supposed to be a golf course which never got off the ground?

Beal Valley?

It's still going to be a golf course apparently, but is currently a landfill site (I think for about another 18 months.

I agree with Alec though, that we should push the council on the Hollinwood site. It's absolutely perfect with superb traffic links and importantly (in my eyes at least) is actually in Oldham.

Beal Valley?

It's still going to be a golf course apparently, but is currently a landfill site (I think for about another 18 months.

I agree with Alec though, that we should push the council on the Hollinwood site. It's absolutely perfect with superb traffic links and importantly (in my eyes at least) is actually in Oldham.

about time! all that space going to waste

Failsworth might be served by Oldham MBC but we all know it's really part of Manchester, or at least a town in its own right with a Manchester postal address. Either way it's not Oldham or an area that has strong ties to Oldham and that's a concern for me. I would prefer us to stay as close to where we are now as possible, BUT if TTA think the only option is to move and there is no viable alternative in Oldham then they have little option.