Move away from BP now preferred option

I'm doing something on this for Wednesday's M.E.N. (post embargo).

I'll be speaking to various people about it, both from Failsworth and elsewhere, and thought I'd give the good folks on here the chance to air their views.

As long as you're not gonna start knockin' on peoples doors and look for the oldest, most disgruntled neighbours to put on the front cover of the paper looking po-faced, we should be able to look forward to a positive storey then?!?! :lol:

Edited by dish

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failsworth might be served by Oldham MBC but we all know it's really part of Manchester, or at least a town in its own right with a Manchester postal address.

A town in it's own right?! It doesnt even have a Parish Council (like Shaw or Saddleworth). Face it, it's in Oldham and (with the exception of Kellys Heroes and Daznathe) full of plastic Mancs. If the sites viable, then why not go for it?

that'd be a nightmare for traffic.

i drove past this propsed site this morning and, although, it doesn't feel like it's in Oldham, technically it is and it isn't as close to City as you first think, therefore, that shouldn't be a problem.

although some (who live close to BP) might view it as being a ballache to get to (distance wise), as long as the facilities there are decent (which is the whole idea) people will just turn up earlier and have a few AT the ground before the match, i.e. spend money with the club.

personally, I don't care where a new ground is (within reason) as long as we get one.

" it isn't as close to City as you first think, therefore, that shouldn't be a problem".

2.8 miles is pretty flamin close in my book!!!

What about Coal Pit Lane on asthon rd near oldham rugby union theres acres of land there the motorway near enough runs paralell to it

Theres loads of sites we could all mention it just come down to our son of a beach council big wigs who'd rather build a few more 6 bedroom houses on werneth coppice and derker . Boundary Parks in all our hearts but new stadiums do work it only puts more money in the coffers with all the extras added on around it (5 aside pitches, apartments? and so on)

Personally for a new stadium i would pick a site thats no more than a 2 mile radius away from the town centre, not to enthused about failsworth neither

What about Coal Pit Lane on asthon rd near oldham rugby union theres acres of land there the motorway near enough runs paralell to it

Theres loads of sites we could all mention it just come down to our son of a beach council big wigs who'd rather build a few more 6 bedroom houses on werneth coppice and derker . Boundary Parks in all our hearts but new stadiums do work it only puts more money in the coffers with all the extras added on around it (5 aside pitches, apartments? and so on)

Personally for a new stadium i would pick a site thats no more than a 2 mile radius away from the town centre, not to enthused about failsworth neither

No room for sentiment here though

If failsworth is the most financially viable option for the club, then I will back it 100 percent.

In 10 years time I would rather be watching Oldham Athletic prosper at a new stadium in failsworth rather than rotting in league 2/conference staying where we are

After all this time I just wish the club and the council could get together and actually resolve the matter. I often wonder whether the council actually gives a stuff about OAFC. It sure as hell has screwed the rugby club so we shouldn't be surprised if the same happens to us.

Personally as someone who does a 500 mile round trip for a home game it don't matter to me where the ground is as long as its within the boundary of Oldham. Makes me vomit at the thought we could end up in a Manc postal area.

During a period of high unemployment you would think the council would be doing everything to support and promote the idea of a new stadium - After all it would provide a lot of work for a lot of people for at least a couple of years.

Don't want to see a move to failsworth. Oldham should be in Oldham, technically Failsworth is Oldham but they all see themselves as Mancs.

I favour a ground share with Rochdale. It is good enough for half of Italy so no reason why it is not good enough in the UK. I simply don't understand the opposition in this country to ground shares when you look at the costs involved and how unviable it is for single stadium clubs these days. No different to ground sharing with the rugby exceptthe partners are far more equal when contributing to ruinning the stadium and training facilities.

Edited by Max Damage

i agree, surely oldham athletic should more central to oldham rather than the very south west of the borough where 80% of the fans will have to travel two or three times the current distance to get too. we really could be called manchester north end like was muted years ago if we are on the border with manchester

and the road system there is far from excellent as some peaple have put, i travel to failsworth pool for work every week and theres always some roadworks around the end of broadway which are a pain in the backside

There's a reason why it's called Boundary Park and it ain't because it's in the town centre

Don't want to see a move to failsworth. Oldham should be in Oldham, technically Failsworth is Oldham but they all see themselves as Mancs.

I favour a ground share with Rochdale. It is good enough for half of Italy so no reason why it is not good enough in the UK. I simply don't understand the opposition in this country to ground shares when you look at the costs involved and how unviable it is for single stadium clubs these days. No different to ground sharing with the rugby exceptthe partners are far more equal when contributing to ruinning the stadium and training facilities.

These foreign teams that are sharing, generally they:

1) Share a huge stadium (Stadio Olimpico - 80,000. San Siro - 85,000. Allianz Arena - 60,000)

2) Are teams from the same city.

I can't think, off the top of my head, anywhere where teams from different towns share small stadiums. It doesn't happen....most probably because one team would have to move from their town and lose their identity.

Oldham should be in Oldham, but groundsharing with Dale? So, presumably you expect that to be a non-starter, 'cos Dale should be in Dale as much as Oldham should be in Oldham? Or do you think hypocrisy is an oath taken by doctors?

People wanted a stadium within Oldham Borough, until the site was one they didn't want, now they want it within 2 miles of the parish church - try looking for a site within 2 miles of oldham, with a rail line (oops - coal pit lane gone) and decent motorway connection (sholver/beal valley, salmon fields gone). Then try to move towards another catchment area to boost attendances. So a move south west is on.

Face it, it's ferney fields, failsworth or hollinwood. All are 2/3 miles from oldham centre, all are within the borough (for what that's worth).

I'd prefer Hollinwood as it's visible from the M60 which I think makes a difference, and maybe that should be where we aim?

Edited by real

I think far more than a couple of big teams ground share in Italy. The Rochdale/Oldham border is fine by me. Far better than failsworth and more teams should look at ground shares that are so close together.

I've just looked into this and can find (cant you tell I'm having a great Friday!) Ac/Inter (85000), Lazio/Roma (80000), Sampdoria/Genoa (37000), Chievo Verona/Hellas Verona (39000), Atalanta/Albinoffe (25000), Juve/Torino (27500...new ground being built but not sure if both teams are to play there).

All them stadiums are much bigger than anything we would build (sharing or not), and all them clubs are (historically) from the same town/city as each other. They have all pretty much played in a shared stadium for the majority of their history, and by playing in a shared groun they are not losing any of their identity (as its always been the case)...whereas if we shared with 'Dale then I think both clubs would be losing something.

Also....us and whoever we share with would have to rely on the other team being successful. If we shared with Rochdale, 50/50 split of the ground, and one of us went out of business, the other one would be knackered. In Germany, 1860 Munich almost went out of business and had to sell their share of the stadium to Bayern to survive, so now instead of being co-owners of a superb stadium, they are their rivals tenants and asset-less. Hardly ideal, and could easily happen to us.

Again, a better place for a new ground but as it is in the middle of an industrial estate that the council are hoping will expand and bring new jobs to the area, it's a non-starter

sorry but salmon fields is on its arse these days..

i worked for a big company there in 1989...till 94,then it was a hive of activity with all the buildings in use....now slumberland has shut down on a very big plot.and also the new offices built a few years ago opposite are still empty..

salmon fields will becom an albatross around oldham councils neck,needing constant up keep and survielance on gypsy trying to move into it...

another possibilty may be the alexandra park retail complex...think matalan is the only unti still operating....close to the town centre,not too far away from everybody,and the council been looking for an excuse to bulldoze the old mill...

sorry but salmon fields is on its arse these days..

i worked for a big company there in 1989...till 94,then it was a hive of activity with all the buildings in use....now slumberland has shut down on a very big plot.and also the new offices built a few years ago opposite are still empty..

salmon fields will becom an albatross around oldham councils neck,needing constant up keep and survielance on gypsy trying to move into it...

another possibilty may be the alexandra park retail complex...think matalan is the only unti still operating....close to the town centre,not too far away from everybody,and the council been looking for an excuse to bulldoze the old mill...

these alternative sites that people are coming up with are little over half the size of the Lancaster Club site.....and you can't just knock down listed buildings Ed?! Think we need to face facts, theres few sites in the borough that are actually big enough to accomodate a football stadium, let alone viabally accomodate a stadium.

these alternative sites that people are coming up with are little over half the size of the Lancaster Club site.....and you can't just knock down listed buildings Ed?! Think we need to face facts, theres few sites in the borough that are actually big enough to accomodate a football stadium, let alone viabally accomodate a stadium.

Knock the derelict Clegg Street warehouse (an eyesore of a listed building) and other surrounding unwanted buildings and you have a lot of room in the centre of town with the proposed Metrolink right on its doorstep.

Apologies if I am repeating anything here, but looking at the Lancaster Club website, it looks a pretty good purchase to me.

http://www.lancasterclub.co.uk/tour.html

Check out the aerial photo for how much land there is. Also look at the existing facilities.

Yes I am a Failsworthian (?), or as some of you are calling me a 'plastic manc', but I feel the wish list that this topic has turned into is quite humourus, oooh what about this site? what about that one, that's ideal! Why don't we buy that land?

I am sure the TTA didn't just put a pin in a map of the North West and select The Lancaster Club.

(I know this a forum and therefore a place for discussion, before someone says it).

I think we should go all the way, lets rename the club Failsworth Athletic

;)

Looking forward to a short stroll to the new stadium…

"but I feel the wish list that this topic has turned into is quite humourus, oooh what about this site? what about that one, that's ideal! Why don't we buy that land?"

and there was I thinking that this was a discussion forum and it's been a single view one all along.....

"but I feel the wish list that this topic has turned into is quite humourus, oooh what about this site? what about that one, that's ideal! Why don't we buy that land?"

and there was I thinking that this was a discussion forum and it's been a single view one all along.....

LOL, did you read my post?

Here's a clue.... look inside the brackets!

Ashton Moss

Stick it in Tameside at bottom of Ashton Road. Whole new fans to go at. OAFC Oldham Ashton ....runs away.

Great site for ground.

Failsworth .dont like personally 2.7 miles from Citeh. dont doubt it i checked it this morning in car.

Tameside only just a bit further but modern flat site ready to go, great transport links.

pretty decent spot that but thing is people will say its not technically oldham

I think far more than a couple of big teams ground share in Italy. The Rochdale/Oldham border is fine by me. Far better than failsworth and more teams should look at ground shares that are so close together.

But would you be happy if it was on the Rochdale side of the border? It'd probably have to be Kingsway business park.

Would you rather that than in Oldham MBC at failsworth?

And just for info, I think most failsworthians see themselves as Failsworthians - not Oldhamers or Mancs, some see more affiliation to the Oldham side of things, others to the Manchester side.

And if we want to get more fans, we've tried the local Oldham people, and it doesn't seem to be working, so we're going to have to move towards an area where there are fewer current oldham fans - inevitably that's going to mean more "manc" fans, unless we move more than 20 miles!!

lol.....its the best spot by far if anyone actually looks at it. You can see the Oldham Civic Centre if that helps.... :blink:

oh and its much nicer place than end of Broadway... :grin:

no awkward neighbours, road structure in place, next to motorway. A supportive local authority...

A supportive local authority? How long before they ask us to change name/badge/kit so that we reflect Ashton/Tameside?

Much nicer than the end of Broadway? It's Ashton FFS. And it's just a retail park. Its not nice, its dull.

And its not in Oldham. Or even that near to Oldham.

Edited by dave_ragg1984