The clubs official statement...

Your not really listening to some of the valid concerns are you....

i am mate but people are under the impression we are bigger than we actually are, right now we need something to be built to make us stable,

this will make us stable, then we can push on from there, when we are making a profit,

people think once this new stadium is built there will never be any new developments, but there will be im sure of it, but not just yet,

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did indeed. I think 12,000 for where we are now is fine but there has to be room to expand should the need arise, if it doesn't have that then I wouldn't be happy with the plans.

Show me how Colchster can gain more capacity without knocking a brand new stand down. It's so lego brother and smacks of were here for the long haul future.

Show me how Colchster can gain more capacity without knocking a brand new stand down. It's so lego brother and smacks of were here for the long haul future.

build in the corners,

maybe they used colchester as an example, not for stadium wise but for the facilities they offer

it suggests stability,

at the moment in our position stability is ambition

and then from there we can aim higher

No we can't. We've talked about stability for more than a decade. The David Brierley-led takeover talked of stability. We've all seen the result. What else is thirteen seasons in the same division on the same low crowds except stability?

Stability is not ambition; aiming for it only drags a club down further.

We've downsized on a massive scale no matter how we tart it up. 80 Million to 20 Million stadium and down to 12,000 seats. With the Cochester stadium as our example. Give me MK Dons type stadium and yes you can all say it's being built with vision and ambition. Unquestionable abilty to increase size a stature to Championship level.

What I'm saying is you're making a judgement without seeing the plans as a whole. The £80 million development, a lot of that figure was for flats, houses surrounding the ground. not THE ground itself. It was a 16,000 capacity ground, and this is just 4,000 less. But with room in the plans for further development.

You've made a decision that the ground is going to LOOK like Colchesters, when I've used them purely on the community aspect and working with the local council. We have no idea what the ground will appear like, just the facts stated already.

We start to have regular days when we're filling 12,000 THEN we look at getting the 6 or 7 thousand bolted on to it. I could think of nothing much more soul destroying than both Franchise Bastard Scum and the Darlo-style watching it surrounded by empty seats.

Let's say that we make it into the Championship (and I sincerely hope we do!).

Football League rules guarantee 10% of stadium capacity to away fans. That means that we'd have 10,800 seats to play with if needed which, is more than enough in my opinion.

What about all those lovely away fans we'll be turning away? Well for a start, on the majority of matchdays we can always allocate them some of the 10,800 home seats that undoubtedly won't be filled. Even if the sold out signs go up once in a while, is the lost revenue really going to compare to the extra capital required to add 4,000 / 8,000 extra seats? Say we were to lose out on 4,000 extra fans in a quarter of our home games, it would probably take 5 years of this happening before we made the initial capital outlay back.

Provided there is flexibility to increase, I don't see the point of building a 16,000 / 20,000 capacity stadium that's going to be half empty for the majority of games.

Now, if the plans we're to be scaled down below 12,000...

Spot on!

Both they and shrewsbury have a floating roof you whip the roof off add another teir and put a new roof on, the corners can also be built into...

It would be stupid to waste money on a stadium which is far to big on the hope that one day in the future we maybe playing at the highest level. I refuse to believe that Championship football will instantly bring thousands of Oldhamers instantly flocking to the new stadium. I think if we did ever get promoted we would be looking at gates between 7 - 10k on the whole with maybe the odd sell out if the capacity was 12,000. Maybe IF we do ever get to the Championship and stay there crowds would rise and we would maybe look at further stadium expansion.

To me 12,000 seems ideal. BP wasnt much bigger before the Lookers got knocked down and no one seemed to mind that. We couldnt even fill it against Bolton in the cup a local Premiership side. A 12,00 capacity gives us scope to cope with higher attendances which maybe achieved through success on the pitch. It also means that we wont be playing in a near empty stadium with our current attendances which are on par with clubs in L2. We could double our current average attendance and still fit everyone in.

Its all very nice for all the dreaming and nostalgic people out there to say things like 18,000 to 20,000 minimum but I dont think you will think the same when in another 10 years we are still at this level playing in front of 3 - 5k with 15,000 plus empty seats. A new stadium is not going to guarantee us success on the pitch.

To me this is an exciting and interesting opportunity which will hopefully allow the club to survive for many more years to come rather than die the slow and painful death which it will if things stay the same. I dont think the TA lack ambition, I just think they are using their heads rather than hearts to try and regenerate both the club and town and for that we should be greatful.

Im still not 100% sure that this will go ahead, we have been down this road numerous times before only for the plans to fall dead in the water. Fingers crossed we may finally make some progress.

build in the corners,

maybe they used colchester as an example, not for stadium wise but for the facilities they offer

Have you been to Colchester? building in the corners would I estimate give you 100 seats a corner.

Colchester can't without knocking a stand down. It doesn't mean that it has to be the same for our new stadium. I hope it will be taken into consideration in the plans. I've said if there is nothing in the plans for expansion I wouldn't be happy with the stated capacity.

What I'm saying is you're making a judgement without seeing the plans as a whole. The £80 million development, a lot of that figure was for flats, houses surrounding the ground. not THE ground itself. It was a 16,000 capacity ground, and this is just 4,000 less. But with room in the plans for further development.

You've made a decision that the ground is going to LOOK like Colchesters, when I've used them purely on the community aspect and working with the local council. We have no idea what the ground will appear like, just the facts stated already.

We start to have regular days when we're filling 12,000 THEN we look at getting the 6 or 7 thousand bolted on to it. I could think of nothing much more soul destroying than both Franchise Bastard Scum and the Darlo-style watching it surrounded by empty seats.

Sorry brother MK Dons is far far superior to Colchesters ground. By a massive margin. Off to bed to dream that Latics were as ambitious as Donny were whilst in the Conferance.

im totally behind tta ,,thats why i dont want them to make a huge mistake at this critical time..

im not looking at this season or next or the next 5 seasons...its the long term future im thinking when our boys are in the prem....so what if theres only 4000 at home to walsall next season in a 20000 season..

at least we will be ready and raring to go when the inevitable happens and we are back in the prem..

last thing we want is going on a good end of season run in the championship,,getting promoted to the prem overnight then saying,,,oh :censored: we not got enough seats for this....can a 12000 stadium be made into a 20000 stadium between april-august?

What drugs have you been taking on a Tuesday night?

It would be stupid to waste money on a stadium which is far to big on the hope that one day in the future we maybe playing at the highest level. I refuse to believe that Championship football will instantly bring thousands of Oldhamers instantly flocking to the new stadium. I think if we did ever get promoted we would be looking at gates between 7 - 10k on the whole with maybe the odd sell out if the capacity was 12,000. Maybe IF we do ever get to the Championship and stay there crowds would rise and we would maybe look at further stadium expansion.

To me 12,000 seems ideal. BP wasnt much bigger before the Lookers got knocked down and no one seemed to mind that. We couldnt even fill it against Bolton in the cup a local Premiership side. A 12,00 capacity gives us scope to cope with higher attendances which maybe achieved through success on the pitch. It also means that we wont be playing in a near empty stadium with our current attendances which are on par with clubs in L2. We could double our current average attendance and still fit everyone in.

Its all very nice for all the dreaming and nostalgic people out there to say things like 18,000 to 20,000 minimum but I dont think you will think the same when in another 10 years we are still at this level playing in front of 3 - 5k with 15,000 plus empty seats. A new stadium is not going to guarantee us success on the pitch.

To me this is an exciting and interesting opportunity which will hopefully allow the club to survive for many more years to come rather than die the slow and painful death which it will if things stay the same. I dont think the TA lack ambition, I just think they are using their heads rather than hearts to try and regenerate both the club and town and for that we should be greatful.

Im still not 100% sure that this will go ahead, we have been down this road numerous times before only for the plans to fall dead in the water. Fingers crossed we may finally make some progress.

A really good post Wozz.

I am shuddering at the thought of spending 20 million on a mini version of BP... Just feels like that's the plan...

Lets see what the other plans are first and how they fit into the overall plan. There will be facilities at the new place and I don't think they have been fully explained in the statement.

The plans for the new stadium haven't been drawn up yet so things can start to be added.

Sorry brother MK Dons is far far superior to Colchesters ground. By a massive margin. Off to bed to dream that Latics were as ambitious as Donny were whilst in the Conferance.

Or we could be as ambitious as Darlo with 2000 people in a 30000 seater stadium!

Progress has to be built on some momentum, though. Does a club that seems barely interested in attracting crowds of more than 12,000 no matter what appear to hold serious ambitions?

Little more than a decade ago we competed on a equal footing with Bolton (having left them behind shortly before that.) Now our best case scenario seems to be a ground less than half the size of theirs.

We missed the crest of a wave (or fell off to be more precise) 15 years ago.

Time to move on.

I've not been to either mate. I believe it is, then again it is THREE times the capacity so it ought to be. But like I said, no design plans, or details about the new ground itself have been released which is why in my opinion you already deciding it's not going to be good enough is, well, a bit rash to say the least.

I think a lot of concerns now are driven purely by the scars and disappointment of best laid plans going to ruin before. I think with the council as an ally, rather than an obsticle that this is something that will happen, as opposed to might happen.

Lets see what the other plans are first and how they fit into the overall plan. There will be facilities at the new place and I don't think they have been fully explained in the statement.

The plans for the new stadium haven't been drawn up yet so things can start to be added.

I know but I just wanted to highlight my concerns at this early stage...

Am I mad or isnt there some sort of planning meeting going tonight ?