The clubs official statement...

Burnley are a classic example of over ambition. Used to be a huge club in the 60's and then decided to improve the stadium drastically, they ended up in the lower leagues of the football league only to return to the Premiership this season 45/50 years on!

I'm glad we're fans of an ambitious club like Latics as opposed to over-reaching failures like Burnley.

At least we manage to stay in our division.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand people’s issues regarding “ambition” and the capacity for big games but what about the capacity for the other 90% of games where it’s less than half full and there is no atmosphere. Big stadiums cost more to build and to maintain and it will be quite a big gamble to build something with a bigger capacity if we then can’t fill it. TTA did have ambition to build a bigger stadium, but the people never came, the economy diminished but their losses are continuing. I don’t feel we should settle for second place but perhaps “ambition” should actually be a second priority to “having a club to be ambitious about”.

Not long ago nearly every club in the Football League had a stadium with a capacity far in excess of their average attendance. Did Latics fill BP every week when the capacity was 40,000 plus? Did United even fill OT every week when it held 65,000?

Clubs that build new stadiums with small capacities do so because they have no intention of being anything other than what they already are. Anything else is regarded a short-term bonus, to be enjoyed before it quickly disappears again. No question of trying to permanently move up a level.

We've finally joined the ranks of the Scunthorpes, Walsalls, Colchesters. Locally we are to permanently belong not with Bolton, Preston, Burnley etc, but with Stockport, Rochdale, Bury and Macclesfield-the jokey little clubs who are looked upon with condescension by everybody.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I can understand people’s issues regarding “ambition” and the capacity for big games but what about the capacity for the other 90% of games where it’s less than half full and there is no atmosphere. Big stadiums cost more to build and to maintain and it will be quite a big gamble to build something with a bigger capacity if we then can’t fill it. TTA did have ambition to build a bigger stadium, but the people never came, the economy diminished but their losses are continuing. I don’t feel we should settle for second place but perhaps “ambition” should actually be a second priority to “having a club to be ambitious about”.

Its all about ambition fella the bloody stadia is perhaps 2 years away from being built ... the ambition of the owners has been put down on paper for us all to see!!!

He's crap, they only signed him becasue he's Jewish. Wants £8,000,000 in wages as well.

That's typical of our short-sighted owners, having never seen him play or not knowing anything about him I think we should get rid, he'll never make the grade in my eyes and we shouldn't be setting our sights too low, we should be aiming for players in the million pound bracket.

That's typical of our short-sighted owners, having never seen him play or not knowing anything about him I think we should get rid, he'll never make the grade in my eyes and we shouldn't be setting our sights too low, we should be aiming for players in the million pound bracket.
Look at your video you have on matey isnt that the ambition we should be going for or??? are you ok with moving to failsworth in our tin pot arena haha :grin:

Jesus Christ, i hope none of TTA come on here and read this stuff. Talk about 'no pleasing some people'. I can understand why they just want to give up and pack their bags sometimes.

I am pleased and excited by the new stadium plans. Well done TTA.

Why? TTA came in with a promise to take the club forward. We've stood still with, at present, only decline on offer, as they recognise ('Oldham Athletic in its present state is dying'-Simon Corney).

The new stadium is not really about the kind of ambition they talked about when they came in, but about saving face and not leaving the club in a worse state than before they arrived. A lower division club in a cheap, small-time bowl may possibly be regarded as just about better than a lower division club in a crumbling old ground, but the club will still be a no-hoper. It might be the the economy to blame right now, but when they arrived it was (supposedly) booming.

The other day I suggested that the club's anthem be changed to Road to Nowhere, but perhaps the Stranglers' Hanging Around would be more apt.

Look at your video you have on matey isnt that the ambition we should be going for or??? are you ok with moving to failsworth in our tin pot arena haha :grin:

Yup, very ok with it. I'm also pleased that by setting the capacity at 12000 it will mean that I will be able to have two seats to spread my fat arse on and there will be more than enough room for each of us to do the same.

So would I-but a 12,000 capacity stadium is designed for a permanently lower division club.

Why is this so clear cut in your eyes. Can a 12,000 capacity stadium not be enough for Championship football? Plymouth Argyle, a club firmly established as a Championship club have an average attendance of 11,000.

I was gonna say I'd be happy with any amounts of seats if there's a free blowjob every home game

But with the lack of ambition shown by the owners you’ll have to pinch her nose and pull her head down to get her to swallow, while at clubs like Burnley and Bolton which were once the same size as us she’ll gulp it down with a smile on her face and beg you for more.

Cor, you have now exposed yourself as a true fisherman. I do respect your views, and it needs you to post, but you have just posted in true agitator style. One post says we are all doomed, it is on the precipice fall

, the next says how doomed we are for only building a 12,000 stadium. you can't ave it both ways. Cut your cloth or

I am going to post out attendances int he Championship and PRem dAys. We very rarely had full houses.

It is economic madness to build too big a stadium.

No I haven't-I've merely given an opinion which is echoed by several others.

I have never said the club is 'doomed' (what is this supposed to mean exactly?), but that we're stuck in a spiral of decline. This may break the spiral in favour of survival at the lower level with no realistic prospect of anything better, or it might not. But any ambition to play at a higher level is, in my opinion, over. We shall see. (As we shall see if this stadium plan gets further than the paper it's printed on...)

For the nth time, few clubs fill their stadium every week. That isn't what ground capacity is about. Nearly all clubs used to have stadiums with capacities far in excess of their average gates. Clubs with ambition still build them. Clubs who have settled for permanent minnow staus build little stadiums in the expectation that they will always attract little crowds. Simple as that. Even over the past crap decade we've filled BP to its (former) near-14,000 capacity several times. Is even that modest ambition to be a thing of the past?)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

But with the lack of ambition shown by the owners you’ll have to pinch her nose and pull her head down to get her to swallow, while at clubs like Burnley and Bolton which were once the same size as us she’ll gulp it down with a smile on her face and beg you for more.

More swallowing, less stagnation!

Perhaps Corp has a point

TTA out!

All this guff about 12K not being enough is absolute bollocks. Even in the Prem days we only averaged about 13,000.

12k is plenty.

I just hope we can get a safe standing area sorted. PLEEEEAAASSSSEEE!!!!!!

It isn't about what you average-it's about the number of times, in those days, that we played in front of 18-20,000 at BP (and in earlier times considerably more than that on occasion). It's about staging the occasional big spectacle. Remember beating ManUre in front of 26,000 in the old Second Division? (In a season where we managed to average 12,000-plus.)

And if we only managed to attract around 13,000 in the PL, no chance of trying to do a better job next time and actually build the club and its fanbase like other clubs manage to? Oh, I forgot-we've now accepted that there isn't going to be a next time, haven't we?

blackpool only holds 9788 in the championship and they dont even sell out teams who have been in the championship before and not filled it etc and have done well are - crewe-10k--gillingham 11k--scunthorpe 9k i dont see how this is a big problem because there will be a chance to extend it. trips to bp have been gettin worse for a few seasons now and its costin the tta 400k a season to keep bp up to the current standard which is crap in all fairness! I for one would rather go to a 3/4 full stadium than have 10 of the 20k seats empty hoping for one big cup game!! if we do go up im sure the tta will have somethin sorted lets get behind them and the lads they have continually pumped cash into the club for players etc

12,000 is ok as long as there's the option to increase the capacity IF (and it's a big big IF) we start to become a succesful Championship club and start averaging 10k plus week in week out...

As has been pointed out, nobody is going to mess about building onto a new stadium.

Anyway, it won't be an issue, as this is a settlement, not a statement of ambition. There is clearly no vision that there will ever be a need for increased capacity.