The clubs official statement...

Renting pitches to the public / small sides isnt going to put enough money into the football club.... Conference facilities, Hotel etc would of...but no mention of this besides a vague comment in the press release.

got a spare £80M, if so we can do the oldham arena plans, otherwise this is the best way forward for the club, long term!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if we were to double our season ticket holders in our move to the new stadium, would that not be classed as progress. And why wouldn't we survive in the championship year on year? Burnley have done that for the past TEN years (what's their average? About 11,000?) The times they've filled Turf Moor to its capacity in the last ten years hasn't been so many.

10,000 Tics every week in the championship IMO would be enough to sustain Championship football. Not Premiership mind, we'd need a few more for that.

but i bet burnley wish they had a bigger ground now

The whole thing smells like TTA giving up the dream... Trying to exit with head held a bit higher...

I just worry where it leaves the club going forward...

Renting pitches to the public / small sides isnt going to put enough money into the football club.... Conference facilities, Hotel etc would of...but no mention of this besides a vague comment in the press release..

I am very worried :(

BP is such a valuable asset and we are about to lose it for a site worth less that we only own 50% off...

I wish more fans where worried to be honest... Even if it is without justification... We need to be cold and calculated about this proposal to make sure its right for us long term...

We need more details but today I am worried...

There's one or two things that I'm not sure about with these plans but I don't think it's too much to be worried about at the moment. I don't think the owners are after building us a stadium for the sake of it and they will want to leave the club with a good chance to prosper rather than having progress halted by a new stadium that limits further ambitions.

I am very pleased about this news. It has more of a feeling of something that will actually get done, as opposed to the pipe dreams which have never really got off the ground in recent times.

I see people are saying that it lacks ambition, it doesn't go far enough. Well it would be a step further than any we're taking at the moment.

Kneejerk negativity is not what is required at this time. This figure of 12000 may not be set in stone. We need to embrace this project.

Short of a massive investment of funds, I fail to see how a massive super-stadium could be built, or indeed why it needs to be so much bigger than is stated. To be honest, selling 12000 tickets most weeks is a problem I'd love to have, in these times of 5k a week!

That said, it would be an excellent idea if questions about the details of it all could be asked.

I for one would like a touch of individuality and quirkiness to be included in the construction of the new stadium.

Onwards and upwards! =)

I couldn't hope to express my thoughts better than this, so I will thank Simpo and bid you all goodnight!

but i bet burnley wish they had a bigger ground now

Burnley are a classic example of over ambition. Used to be a huge club in the 60's and then decided to improve the stadium drastically, they ended up in the lower leagues of the football league only to return to the Premiership this season 45/50 years on!

hey im sober and just look at clubs like bolton,,hull,,wigan,,stoke...all no bigger than us a few seasons back

u didnt see these 4 clubs build 12000 stadium,,,,they all built big before they went up

Apologies for calling, and for you being, sober. It seems to me that speculating to achieve now is crazy if the ambition is to go higher than the Championship. The odd team from there might have a crazy dart into the top flight and enjoy a season getting hammered every week, which is just what the Bristol City fans were looking at the other year, but to build now for a stay in that division is frankly lunacy. We might manage to punch our way around the Championship, that would be an achievement (and is where we still are naturally given when I was a kid).

I wish more fans where worried to be honest... Even if it is without justification...

I can see that, and I do have some concerns. But I also have trust, and we have to bear in mind that all the time we stay at BP we're relying on two guys pumping money into the patient to keep it alive. They won't do this forever, and Corney has even stated (although he is as known for kneejerk more than a lot of Latics fans on here!) that he has thought of jacking it in so many times.

There are so many facets to this being a success. The abilty to attract new fans, the facilities and which ones will provide the best streams of income. There will be numbers crunched but the bottom line is something needs to happen for us to first survive and then prosper. Staying at BP just wasn't going to happen once the market crashed.

This strikes me more of a best plan for all parties, rather than what the current Latics fans want, what TTA want and what Latics fans of the future would want. I really wouldn't want a groundshare; that would put us in a worrying position, but I'd like to think more details will be emerging in the coming weeks and a lot of concerns will be eased as they unfold. What I would say is that I trust TTA in that they wouldn't leave the club in a worse position than it is. If we need to sell the vast amount of land at BP to move to a smaller plot co-owned by the club and the council, but it secured the long-term future of the club then I'll be content with that. As long as there's a club to support while I'm alive, which is competitive and growing then I don't think I can ask for much more than that.

Burnley are a classic example of over ambition. Used to be a huge club in the 60's and then decided to improve the stadium drastically, they ended up in the lower leagues of the football league only to return to the Premiership this season 45/50 years on!

they only built the 2 new stands recently(3-5 years ago)because they had a clear vision were they wanted to be....premiership... and i guess the capacity will be around the 20000 mark and it will be packed to the rafters every other week...im guessing they will be kicking themselves now for not doing the new stadium thing a few years back with 25000-30000 capacity which they could easily fill...and they were not much bigger club than what we are now

Apologies for calling, and for you being, sober. It seems to me that speculating to achieve now is crazy if the ambition is to go higher than the Championship. The odd team from there might have a crazy dart into the top flight and enjoy a season getting hammered every week, which is just what the Bristol City fans were looking at the other year, but to build now for a stay in that division is frankly lunacy. We might manage to punch our way around the Championship, that would be an achievement (and is where we still are naturally given when I was a kid).

you see,,this is total negative thinking....you say we are no bigger than a championship club,but if the 4 clubs i mentioned thought like that then thats were they would be now...ask tta were they see the club in 10 years time and there can only be 1 answer,,,at the top....any other thinking then you are stood still again and you are drawn into negative thinking...

come on lets follow hullcity,stoke citys ,wigans dreams and think positive

Surely the location of the nearest future metro station is the biggest question mark ?

Dean Lane is probably closer than Werneth or Oldham Station :)

It would make sense to have a stadium metro stop wouldn't it?

I ain't worried about the location, at the end of the day we needed a plot of land big enough to locate the new ground. BP is crumbling and dated we all know that. I don't have a problem with TTA, in fact I see them as friends and fellow fans of OAFC. I believe OAFC have to them like us entrenched in their hearts and when they do eventually walk away they'll always look for the scores. Whilst also sighing a massive relief that it's all over!

My concern is that the new stadium plan now is so downsized that it can only mirror the ambition of the club...forever ickle Oldham in the eyes of the Leeds United's of this world. Every time we lose out on a good player and having to read posts from fellow brothers stating "he had to go there their bigger than us" sticks in my throat.

We are starting with a blank piece of paper to build a stadium fit for the 21st century and beyond. 12,000 seater lego looking Colchester style ground doesn't match whats beyond this next level but to remain at this level. I want to dream that we post "he's gotta come to Oldham, Leeds cant match our standard of football" cos we built an MK Dons style ground that allowed us to put in more seats from inception. That smacked from inception that Latics had ambition to grow. I don't care if I rattle round inside for a few seasons cos I will know along with prospective new players that this club is built to go forward. Lets leave the clubs like Scunthorpe with their few seasons of headiness behind in their lego ambitionless grounds and be a contender.

I have another question...

The old plans for Oldham Arena relied upon selling off big chunks of land for housing to fund the stadium... Now in the current crisis that isnt possible apparently... Developers arent buying.. The price off land has gone down...

So how is it possible to sell off the whole site, one would presume, for the same purpose...

That seriously dosent add up in my head...Or is it simply we can do it for a lower fee ? But who will buy ?

Would it not possibly be better to sell off the smaller bits of land as planned, fix BP up, and add a few extras ? Surely that wouldnt cost much more than 10 million ?

If we are going to downsize ambition I would rather we downsize it staying at BP and keeping a major asset on the clubs books. Proximinity to the motorway gives the land real commerical potential for hotels, conference facilities etc... Bottom of Broadway dosent...

Maybe I am making a complex situation simple but I want more talks about all this to be frank... I dont like this new plan... Well at the moment anyway, do need more details...

Edited by oafc0000

I have another question...

The old plans for Oldham Arena relied upon selling off big chunks of land for housing to fund the stadium... Now in the current crisis that isnt possible apparently... Developers arent buying.. The price off land has gone down...

So how is it possible to sell off the whole site, one would presume, for the same purpose...

That seriously dosent add up in my head...Or is it simply we can do it for a lower fee ? But who will buy ?

Would it not possibly be better to sell off the smaller bits of land as planned, fix BP up, and add a few extras ? Surely that wouldnt cost much more than 20 million ?

Maybe I am making a complex situation simple but I want more talks about all this to be frank... I dont like this new plan... Well at the moment anyway, do need more details...

Its a good point which troubled me... but to probably over-simplify it as you say.... the previous plan we sold say, 50% of the land (with the ground taking up the rest) at a very high market price to fund the expensive stadium rebuild.... now we are selling off 100% of the land at a cheap market price to fund cheap new stadium.... someone will always buy land at a good price... we just cant expect the returns of 18 months ago...

I'm not an expert, but i'd imagine starting from scratch would be cheaper, no pissing around other building work/stands/half built hotels and doing stuff up... just a quick, mass prefab to save cash...

Not going to echo any of the points over the last few pages.... need further info. All i can say was when I read the statement I was excited. Looks by far the most realistic thing to have been put forward, and the most realistic proposal for our club. Couldnt care less about the capacity, we need to fill the 12000 first before we worry about anything else... and if the TTA tell us that that is the realistic capacity they can afford with the budget available, that is fine with me...

Has anyone else actually though the market value of BP could be restricting th capacity? it may be 12000 or nowt... I'm snatching your hand off for 12000.. brilliant news, lets hope everything goes to plan over the next couple of months...

Jesus Christ, i hope none of TTA come on here and read this stuff. Talk about 'no pleasing some people'. I can understand why they just want to give up and pack their bags sometimes.

I am pleased and excited by the new stadium plans. Well done TTA.

Surely the location of the nearest future metro station is the biggest question mark ?

Dean Lane is probably closer than Werneth or Oldham Station :)

I think (not 100% sure) that the train stations will be the metro stations. Dean Lane and Newton Heath train stations are really close. Easily as close, if not closer than the tram stops are at OT.

Something that you all need to remember is the lack of the council input in the past on anything Latics. This way they are involved. Not only will we be getting a new ground, but community facilities will be built to benefit local people. The existing users of that land will not be pushed aside but will get better facilities. This suggests to me that the council are willing to put funding in place to see this go thrugh. They will benefit. Not just Latics.

I think that's a massive step forward. Yes obviously it isn't ideal, but avenues at the current site have been explored. Several times. And nothing is happening.

Would you all rather we stayed where we are with a 3 sided ground that's falling apart around us? Wasting money left right and centre?

CAn I just add my contgrats to the TTA for persevering, in these very difficult times.

And to have re looked at things and worked with the Council.

I am amazed at the criticism, some people are really liviing in

Cor, you have now exposed yourself as a true fisherman. I do respect your views, and it needs you to post, but you have just posted in true agitator style. One post says we are all doomed, it is on the precipice fall

, the next says how doomed we are for only building a 12,000 stadium. you can't ave it both ways. Cut your cloth or

I am going to post out attendances int he Championship and PRem dAys. We very rarely had full houses.

It is economic madness to build too big a stadium.

We won't need more than 10000 seats let alone 12000. The RRE has the capacity to have another tier on it, built at that mystical time when we were on the up. I bet the plans to do this are got out occasionally and laughed at by the board. Put double thick foundations on the new stadium and pray, if we need bigger it will be done, Ipswich have done the same I think.

Being on the boundary with Manchester means the name for the stadium is already in place, how about Boundary Park or New Boundary Park, perhaps even sell the naming rights to get more cash in to buy players but us fans will still call it BP.

We can't fill our current ground when it is £2 to get in or for a game against Leeds or the play-off semis, how would we fill a 20000 stadium for a game against Derby? If by some miracle we start to average 10-11 thousand it might be worth sticking another tier on one of the stands and getting another 4-5 thousand but I remain to be convinced we need bigger. You don't by a 7 seater car if you don't have any kids on the off chance your wife has triplets, twice.

Potential last throw of the dice by TTA? Maybe, lets hope it comes up trumps, they have tried every which way and the people and institutions of Oldham have turned their backs, only so many times you can bang your head against the wall before you either knock yourself, go mad or just decide to stop doing it.

We all want the 50000000000000 seater quadruplostadium with free blow-jobs, beer for 37p, pukka/hollands/mums pies or a steak panini with no queues and our star striker scoring the winning goal to retain the Champions League before scoring a hat-trick in the World Cup final against the Germans and lifting his shirt up to reveal an Ernie for England t-shirt but I don't think it will happen.

We've all seen clubs live the dream, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Luton, Forest, Wednesday and we've seen what has happened to them. Lets start off small, do well, build up slowly not saddled by massive unserviceable debt and expand at the right time rather than paying the upkeep on an oversized stadium that drains money out of the playing budget but gives us 7 day a week income and a shot a better future.

Jesus Christ, i hope none of TTA come on here and read this stuff. Talk about 'no pleasing some people'. I can understand why they just want to give up and pack their bags sometimes.

I am pleased and excited by the new stadium plans. Well done TTA.

I agree.

Why don't we just stay at BP and let it crumble around our feet?

Is a half-full, three sided dump better than a half-full state of the art facility?

I really can't understand this expectancy that we will get back in the Premiership and then, somehow, manage to stay in it.

Let's be realistic. We are a small club, based in a small town, with a small fan base in a small catchment area.

We are not Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton or even Bolton and Wigan.

We have not got the financial clout or backing of the likes of Doncaster.

I would be happy to watch Championship side in a modern, accessible stadium that is not echoing to the sound of empty seats.

Why don't we let the TTA get on with it? They are not stupid, they are business men and I'm sure that every eventuality will be considered.

All this guff about 12K not being enough is absolute bollocks. Even in the Prem days we only averaged about 13,000.

12k is plenty.

I just hope we can get a safe standing area sorted. PLEEEEAAASSSSEEE!!!!!!

Edited by Snookmeister

We won't need more than 10000 seats let alone 12000. The RRE has the capacity to have another tier on it, built at that mystical time when we were on the up. I bet the plans to do this are got out occasionally and laughed at by the board. Put double thick foundations on the new stadium and pray, if we need bigger it will be done, Ipswich have done the same I think.

Being on the boundary with Manchester means the name for the stadium is already in place, how about Boundary Park or New Boundary Park, perhaps even sell the naming rights to get more cash in to buy players but us fans will still call it BP.

We can't fill our current ground when it is £2 to get in or for a game against Leeds or the play-off semis, how would we fill a 20000 stadium for a game against Derby? If by some miracle we start to average 10-11 thousand it might be worth sticking another tier on one of the stands and getting another 4-5 thousand but I remain to be convinced we need bigger. You don't by a 7 seater car if you don't have any kids on the off chance your wife has triplets, twice. :applause1::lol:

Potential last throw of the dice by TTA? Maybe, lets hope it comes up trumps, they have tried every which way and the people and institutions of Oldham have turned their backs, only so many times you can bang your head against the wall before you either knock yourself, go mad or just decide to stop doing it.

We all want the 50000000000000 seater quadruplostadium with free blow-jobs, beer for 37p, pukka/hollands/mums pies or a steak panini with no queues and our star striker scoring the winning goal to retain the Champions League before scoring a hat-trick in the World Cup final against the Germans and lifting his shirt up to reveal an Ernie for England t-shirt but I don't think it will happen. :applause1::lol:

We've all seen clubs live the dream, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Luton, Forest, Wednesday and we've seen what has happened to them. Lets start off small, do well, build up slowly not saddled by massive unserviceable debt and expand at the right time rather than paying the upkeep on an oversized stadium that drains money out of the playing budget but gives us 7 day a week income and a shot a better future.

:idea::chubb:

Fantastic, fantastic post. Well done B_T!*

*absolute no-no on the free Blow-Jobs? Bugger....

We can't fill our current ground when it is £2 to get in or for a game against Leeds or the play-off semis, how would we fill a 20000 stadium for a game against Derby? If by some miracle we start to average 10-11 thousand it might be worth sticking another tier on one of the stands and getting another 4-5 thousand but I remain to be convinced we need bigger. You don't by a 7 seater car if you don't have any kids on the off chance your wife has triplets, twice.

We all want the 50000000000000 seater quadruplostadium with free blow-jobs, beer for 37p, pukka/hollands/mums pies or a steak panini with no queues and our star striker scoring the winning goal to retain the Champions League before scoring a hat-trick in the World Cup final against the Germans and lifting his shirt up to reveal an Ernie for England t-shirt but I don't think it will happen.

Absolutely. Anyway, I thought the main source of revenue these days was from TV, and that fans in the ground were just window dressing. Not saying this is good or right, but suggests loads of empty seats is neither desirable nor a terminal missed revenue stream?