The clubs official statement...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm saying is you're making a judgement without seeing the plans as a whole. The £80 million development, a lot of that figure was for flats, houses surrounding the ground. not THE ground itself. It was a 16,000 capacity ground, and this is just 4,000 less. But with room in the plans for further development.

You've made a decision that the ground is going to LOOK like Colchesters, when I've used them purely on the community aspect and working with the local council. We have no idea what the ground will appear like, just the facts stated already.

We start to have regular days when we're filling 12,000 THEN we look at getting the 6 or 7 thousand bolted on to it. I could think of nothing much more soul destroying than both Franchise Bastard Scum and the Darlo-style watching it surrounded by empty seats.

JUST 4,000 is a whole quarter down on the proposed capacity of a redeveloped BP.

When, aside for a mere handful of big clubs, have grounds ever Been consistently filled to capacity? Stadiums, even at the lower end of the scale, used to be vast in the days of terracing. Few clubs filled them except on occasion.

These days ground capacities tend to reflect ambition.

I dont see how this new site / proposal turns latics a profit at the moment...

We also know less about this plan than we did about the BP plans and there is a planning meeting tonight am I right ?

It's not a planning meeting tonight I think. An approval meeting to decide whether the council are behind the scheme as it is. I should expect it will be a formallity depending on whether the Tories or Labour are in favour as well. It'll need support from one of the groups to pass it I think.

I dont see how this new site / proposal turns latics a profit at the moment...

We also know less about this plan than we did about the BP plans and there is a planning meeting tonight am I right ?

Im guessing that the club, as one of the investors in the site will take a cut of money made from rent and use etc of the other facilities and buildings which are built on the site.

A 12,000 capacity stadium cements our status as one of the jokey little clubs.

Pretty insulting to 50% of the clubs in the Football League don't you think?!

It's sweeping comments like this that erode the credibility of your previous posts.

Its all very nice for all the dreaming and nostalgic people out there to say things like 18,000 to 20,000 minimum but I dont think you will think the same when in another 10 years we are still at this level playing in front of 3 - 5k with 15,000 plus empty seats. A new stadium is not going to guarantee us success on the pitch.

This is actually where, in their heart of hearts everybody conected to the club, whether officially or as supporters, believes we will be in ten years' time.

Those who don't want to contemplete this are no longer seen at BP.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Pretty insulting to 50% of the clubs in the Football League don't you think?!

It's sweeping comments like this that erode the credibility of your previous posts.

50% of clubs in the Football League might not be around in 10 years time... I wouldnt worry about offending them...

Why is it they are planning on a 12k seater stadia???? Once built the owners are not going to fart about making the stadia bigger are they?? being realistic the owners must think this is our highest levell we are going to achieve never mind the championship!!! you build a stadia for the future then build on from that both on the football field and for other uses the stadia can be used for!! do people really think the owners are going to build a new stadia then start farting about making it bigger??? once built at the capacity it will stay at that capicity ....

Let's say that we make it into the Championship (and I sincerely hope we do!).

Football League rules guarantee 10% of stadium capacity to away fans. That means that we'd have 10,800 seats to play with if needed which, is more than enough in my opinion.

What about all those lovely away fans we'll be turning away? Well for a start, on the majority of matchdays we can always allocate them some of the 10,800 home seats that undoubtedly won't be filled. Even if the sold out signs go up once in a while, is the lost revenue really going to compare to the extra capital required to add 4,000 / 8,000 extra seats? Say we were to lose out on 4,000 extra fans in a quarter of our home games, it would probably take 5 years of this happening before we made the initial capital outlay back.

Provided there is flexibility to increase, I don't see the point of building a 16,000 / 20,000 capacity stadium that's going to be half empty for the majority of games.

Now, if the plans we're to be scaled down below 12,000...

its the premiership im thinking about

think big mate

Why is it they are planning on a 12k seater stadia???? Once built the owners are not going to fart about making the stadia bigger are they?? being realistic the owners must think this is our highest levell we are going to achieve never mind the championship!!! you build a stadia for the future then build on from that both on the football field and for other uses the stadia can be used for!! do people really think the owners are going to build a new stadia then start farting about making it bigger??? once built at the capacity it will stay at that capicity ....

Exactly. Talk of expanding is wishful thinking.

If there were serious plans to make us catch up with our north-west rivals, the stadium proposal would be entirely different.

12,000 is not a long way off right for us in the division up.

Which we are not currently in.

If we go up... Some games we'd lose ticket sales, most we wouldn't. But think seriously folks, are you suggesting we borrow money in July 2009 to build seats in the hope that they will have people sitting on them 5 or 6 times a year from maybe 2012? Sounds to me like money that won't be spent on players and facilities to get us up the leagues in the first place. It would be almost automatic in the design to be able to add to the capacity, I believe that the state of the art RRE is made so that another tier can be added? It's all pre-fab anyway. If (when) we win promotion, get a few lads in and bolt the rest on and don't waste money on making us feel like pricks standing in a couple of corners of a 90,000 seater Megadome.

JUST 4,000 is a whole quarter down on the proposed capacity of a redeveloped BP.

When, aside for a mere handful of big clubs, have grounds ever Been consistently filled to capacity? Stadiums, even at the lower end of the scale, used to be vast in the days of terracing. Few clubs filled them except on occasion.

These days ground capacities tend to reflect ambition.

Which is a better matchday experience and atmosphere? 5,000 in a 16,000 stadium or a a more tightly packed affair? This is as much as a key factor to attracting new fans as a successful charge up the leagues are.

Personally, as long as there is provision to expand on the new stadium there's nothing wrong with that. Your claim that a reduction of the ground capacity is a statement of a reduction of our ambition is a bit of a clutching at straws moment for you. Any news of progress stadium-wise blows a huge hole in your tiresome arguement.

Exactly. Talk of expanding is wishful thinking.

If there were serious plans to make us catch up with our north-west rivals, the stadium proposal would be entirely different.

The 12 k stadia is how they see the future of oldham athletic .. lets face it would you build a stadia then start building on it again??? nooooo lol wakey wakey time!!!

12,000 is not a long way off right for us in the division up.

Which we are not currently in.

If we go up... Some games we'd lose ticket sales, most we wouldn't. But think seriously folks, are you suggesting we borrow money in July 2009 to build seats in the hope that they will have people sitting on them 5 or 6 times a year from maybe 2012? Sounds to me like money that won't be spent on players and facilities to get us up the leagues in the first place. It would be almost automatic in the design to be able to add to the capacity, I believe that the state of the art RRE is made so that another tier can be added? It's all pre-fab anyway. If (when) we win promotion, get a few lads in and bolt the rest on and don't waste money on making us feel like pricks standing in a couple of corners of a 90,000 seater Megadome.

Nobody's talking about 90,000 seaters though. Even twelve or so years ago, when the club was already on its backside, the SP 2000 proposal was for 15,000. Even 16,000 seemed small for BP given the talk that went on when TTA first arrived.

12,000 smacks of resignation to permanent small-timeness. No club builds a stadium that they think they will fill every week. Capacity is always based on where you think you can be or want to be. Why can't we look towards games with 18-20,000 just like the late eighties and early nineties anymore? Why can our Lancashire rivals of old have even more than that?

The last fifteen years have left Latics fans cowering like beaten dogs.

by the time the new stadium is built we could possibly be a premiership outfit

then what...and dont just say make it bigger to meet demand cos all that will take to much time and an enormous amount of revenue will be lost

cheaper and wiser to do it now

and all you lot who keep saying and when we are a championship club....is that it...do we stop there forever...cos once tta get a taste of the championship then they will be craving for the premiership......like me

I am very pleased about this news. It has more of a feeling of something that will actually get done, as opposed to the pipe dreams which have never really got off the ground in recent times.

I see people are saying that it lacks ambition, it doesn't go far enough. Well it would be a step further than any we're taking at the moment.

Kneejerk negativity is not what is required at this time. This figure of 12000 may not be set in stone. We need to embrace this project.

Short of a massive investment of funds, I fail to see how a massive super-stadium could be built, or indeed why it needs to be so much bigger than is stated. To be honest, selling 12000 tickets most weeks is a problem I'd love to have, in these times of 5k a week!

That said, it would be an excellent idea if questions about the details of it all could be asked.

I for one would like a touch of individuality and quirkiness to be included in the construction of the new stadium.

Onwards and upwards! =)

by the time the new stadium is built we could possibly be a premiership outfit

then what...and dont just say make it bigger to meet demand cos all that will take to much time and an enormous amount of revenue will be lost

cheaper and wiser to do it now

and all you lot who keep saying and when we are a championship club....is that it...do we stop there forever...cos once tta get a taste of the championship then they will be craving for the premiership......like me

Don't be silly we all want to be in the Premiership but I'm sure a few don't want to chase the Premiership dream and end up in League 2 and below because we wanted too much too soon.

its the premiership im thinking about

think big mate

Stop taking drugs

Sorry Wakefield, but I had a similar thought to Prendy when you mentioned the Premiership before (the difference being that I would rather you passed it around rather than stopped it). We were battling against the odds when we got into the top flight before, these days Middlesbrough can go down from the Premiership despite having a near-billionaire Chairman who spends his money pretty much like you or I would if we owned Latics. I will never say never, but planning for us being in the top flight is evidence of either late night beer-posting syndrome, or having been dropped on the head as a baby. I guess the former ;)

The whole thing smells like TTA giving up the dream... Trying to exit with head held a bit higher...

I just worry where it leaves the club going forward...

Renting pitches to the public / small sides isnt going to put enough money into the football club.... Conference facilities, Hotel etc would of...but no mention of this besides a vague comment in the press release..

I am very worried :(

BP is such a valuable asset and we are about to lose it for a site worth less that we only own 50% off...

I wish more fans where worried to be honest... Even if it is without justification... We need to be cold and calculated about this proposal to make sure its right for us long term...

We need more details but today I am worried...

Edited by oafc0000

Actually, if we were to double our season ticket holders in our move to the new stadium, would that not be classed as progress. And why wouldn't we survive in the championship year on year? Burnley have done that for the past TEN years (what's their average? About 11,000?) The times they've filled Turf Moor to its capacity in the last ten years hasn't been so many.

10,000 Tics every week in the championship IMO would be enough to sustain Championship football. Not Premiership mind, we'd need a few more for that.

Sorry Wakefield, but I had a similar thought to Prendy when you mentioned the Premiership before (the difference being that I would rather you passed it around rather than stopped it). We were battling against the odds when we got into the top flight before, these days Middlesbrough can go down from the Premiership despite having a near-billionaire Chairman who spends his money pretty much like you or I would if we owned Latics. I will never say never, but planning for us being in the top flight is evidence of either late night beer-posting syndrome, or having been dropped on the head as a baby. I guess the former ;)

hey im sober and just look at clubs like bolton,,hull,,wigan,,stoke...all no bigger than us a few seasons back

u didnt see these 4 clubs build 12000 stadium,,,,they all built big before they went up