What the new stadium may look like

It has been mentioned the new stadium could be similar to Colchester or Shrewsbury's, here are some pics of them.

Whats your views on how a 12,000 capacity stadium should look, with any examples of other grounds if you can find them ?

Colchester

Shrewsbury

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been to Shewsbury so can't comment based on experience but I personally thought Colchester was one of the most dull, uninspiring, Ikea'esk stadiums going. No character whatsoever and people who would come to our stadium would just say 'yeah its alright I suppose, but just like the rest'.

Currently people love coming to Boundary Park for the character in the stands. This is not saying you can't have a good looking modern stadium, just look at Prestons. Please for the sake of modern architecture design can we have various models of which we could discuss and all agree on. Yeah it might be clean and simple to move to a similar ground to those shown but just look at Glanford Park 15 years on - Grim aint it!

Both look nice tidy grounds. Would hope there is some height in the stands so you can get a god view of the pitch - i hate being too low down. I liked leyton orients ground last season tho it was a bit weird looking

Must be high stand to get a God view

An honest view on both, decidedly non league. boring, no style...COSTS?

Haven't been to the New Meadow yet, but visited Colchester last season.

I think, it is a 10,000 capacity, but will stand corrected.

The main stand has additional facilities including private boxes and conferencing etc. The other 3 stands are as functional as necessary but given the space around the stadium are capable of expansion if necessary.

Clearly a 12-14,000 stadium based on these 2 grounds must be a better way forward than a land locked BP.

I noticed in another thread a criticism of the re-developed BP not having been thought through because it would be difficult to expand. However, as far as I can remember TTA said from day 1 that their preferred option was to build a new stadium away from BP. I know other sites have been looked at including Ferney Field, but they have until now been unachieveable. So I believe that we are back to the original plan.

Cheers,

Harry

Colchester's doesn't look too bad, but Shrewsbury's looks like a top non-league ground.

Neither are a patch on what was going to be done (cough) to BP.

agree

the way the pictures have been took, it makes the two grounds look quite big, when in actual fact the stands are only about 20 rows deep

ive just had a look outside and its raining over Oldham again

Colchester's doesn't look too bad, but Shrewsbury's looks like a top non-league ground.

Neither are a patch on what was going to be done (cough) to BP.

Having visited Shrewsbury a couple of days ok I'd say that's not true. It's a neat little stadium with excellent community facilities attached. We actually said, before this news broke, how it would be an ideal for Latics to have something similar.

Having visited Shrewsbury a couple of days ok I'd say that's not true. It's a neat little stadium with excellent community facilities attached. We actually said, before this news broke, how it would be an ideal for Latics to have something similar.

Neat little club, neat little stadium.

(The bigger boys buy the lickle Oldham fan an orange juice with a straw before finishing off their pints and heading off to COMS, Old Trafford and the Reebok.)

Neat little club, neat little stadium.

(The bigger boys buy the lickle Oldham fan an orange juice with a straw before finishing off their pints and heading off to COMS, Old Trafford and the Reebok.)

Yep. Real world suck's doesn't it?

12,000 with structural support for a 5-8,000 extension is more than enough for this club for the next 10-15 years.

If we sell out at 12,000 three seasons running the money that generates will comfortably cover the cost of an expansion.

Shrewsbury, no matter what people think of their level, are a sustained club with modern facilities. We're currently a barely sustained clube with god awful facilities.

The future is not always looking at United, Citch or Bolton but with those who we compete. If you run a Bakery on a little highstreet do you worry about Wharbutons? Sure you do. Do you worry more about the bakery next door which has a new oven and can make bread more efficiently, with a better product? Damn right!

Yep. Real world suck's doesn't it?

12,000 with structural support for a 5-8,000 extension is more than enough for this club for the next 10-15 years.

If we sell out at 12,000 three seasons running the money that generates will comfortably cover the cost of an expansion.

Shrewsbury, no matter what people think of their level, are a sustained club with modern facilities. We're currently a barely sustained clube with god awful facilities.

The future is not always looking at United, Citch or Bolton but with those who we compete. If you run a Bakery on a little highstreet do you worry about Wharbutons? Sure you do. Do you worry more about the bakery next door which has a new oven and can make bread more efficiently, with a better product? Damn right!

Oh, I've no doubt that the club is looking more at those with whom we compete right now. That's because it's been accepted that this is where we're staying.

Down among the dead men.

I think it all looks neat and tidy, and if you look at it theres plenty of room for improvement, i suppose you wouldnt have to knock a stand down to build on it either, take the roof off and expand outwards and upwards, not to mention space in corners,

plenty of space, nice facilities (im sure were getting quite a few)

and i think the leisure idea is pretty good, especially if we can have a cinema and bowling/arcade area like there is in ashton moss, that could be a real money earner as theres nothing like it in oldham

I think it all looks neat and tidy, and if you look at it theres plenty of room for improvement, i suppose you wouldnt have to knock a stand down to build on it either, take the roof off and expand outwards and upwards, not to mention space in corners,

plenty of space, nice facilities (im sure were getting quite a few)

and i think the leisure idea is pretty good, especially if we can have a cinema and bowling/arcade area like there is in ashton moss, that could be a real money earner as theres nothing like it in oldham

Once built there will be no adding on, because it's a stadium for a club that will never need anything bigger. Face reality.

Oh, I've no doubt that the club is looking more at those with whom we compete right now. That's because it's been accepted that this is where we're staying.

Down among the dead men.

no its not accepted,

what is accepted is were near the bottom of the pile at the mo and we need something stable base to build on to start pushing up that list,

Once built there will be no adding on, because it's a stadium for a club that will never need anything bigger. Face reality.

yes lets all think like that?

reality is were taking a step forward, who knows? with this development more money coming in therefore potential for more change,

yes we have been let down in the past but if you let knocks take you back then half the clubs in the world wouldnt exist!

Not been to Shewsbury so can't comment based on experience but I personally thought Colchester was one of the most dull, uninspiring, Ikea'esk stadiums going. No character whatsoever and people who would come to our stadium would just say 'yeah its alright I suppose, but just like the rest'. Shrewsbury is a very nice looking stadium but looks bigger than it is

Currently people love coming to Boundary Park for the character in the stands. This is not saying you can't have a good looking modern stadium, just look at Prestons. Please for the sake of modern architecture design can we have various models of which we could discuss and all agree on. Yeah it might be clean and simple to move to a similar ground to those shown but just look at Glanford Park 15 years on - Grim aint I

o

The 92 in blue team handy experience...Interested to hear what they think are good grounds on travels..just off a first impression on approach.

Have to confess was hoping for a Latics ground with a little individual identity.

I do agree.

The only advantage of a bowl is it stops the wind and driving rain.

Incidentally, does anyone know how much lower in sea level we are going, we are currently second highest I think?

The 92 in blue team handy experience...Interested to hear what they think are good grounds on travels..just off a first impression on approach.

Have to confess was hoping for a Latics ground with a little individual identity.

Knowing of the move to Failsworth before the trip it was a good opportunity to judge what other clubs have done.

We were impressed by all the new grounds. A lot had function rooms being used at the time we were there, many had pitches being hired by local teams both bringing in all year round revenue. Generally they all looked great (including the surroundings).

As each ground was visited we realised how far behind BP was to most clubs and that to start fresh would be the best move for the club. Think the trip cemented (I'm sure I'll be put right if not all agree) that we all believe a move would be real progress for the club.