Shortage of goals

So do I, it's not so much the strikers it's the supply line...so far!

It's true there is little of a supply line either, but Abbott has no strike partner so the task is monumental.

I'm not knocking DP because he is rectifying everything that was wrong last season, just under 3 weeks to get it sorted............

He should have sorted the second striker situation out before the season started, lets see if he brings one in , IMO if he sticks with what he has got goals will be scarce.

Edited by BP1960

Barely heard his name on commentary....does beg the question if we should be playing him at present but we've no-else. Not sure if that's still a good enough reason to keep playing him injured.

You are right BB and thats a major problem as it could only be a matter of time before he is out for a prolonged spell.

I can't see many goals from this current team, a goal poacher was required before the season started, Parker is not the answer.

I share the same worry, just can't see who is gonna chip in regularly at the moment. We definitely need to bring in someone to share the goals with abbott.

Give Abbott and Parker time they are both capable of scoring around 20 goals in this divison. It is quite possible that we have our first two right sided midfield players out injured (Smalley and Purdie) and as a result we have a right back playing right midfield- that can't be condusive to scoring goals. We have also played 2/3rds of our games away (like half the teams) I wonder how we look without the teams who have played two games at home (I think we are about 3rd/4th out of 12 which isn't that bad).

Plus if it wasn't for a very very good performance by Stockports goalie we could have had 3/4 on the opening day. Comparing this years team to last years I can actually seeing us scoring more goals this year than we did last year (purely because we have got 2 strikers who are capable of scoring 20 goals in this divison as opposed to 1)- that in combination with the fact I can't see this team loosing to the likes of Herford 5-0 or Yeovil 2-0 I think we might do OK this year. Whilst we don't look as likely to score goals at this point than we did at the same point last year (we scored double the amount of goals in our first league game than we have now- but bear in mind we've conceeded the same amount of league goals as we had after last year's first league game too). How many goals did we look likely to score when Hughes wasn't in form- it wasn't that many and Hughes had scored half his league goals by October. If after 10 games we are still averaging under a goal a game I might be worried but I doubt it.

DP got two of our many things we were lacking sorted out with his first two buys. We got a big target man and a bit more of a thug in midfield. We have some of the best passing centre halfs in the division so a big target man was vital (for the accurate hoof). He got in one secondary striker who was better than what we had (Parker) and he looks like maybe getting in another who was also better than what we had (Byfield) (barring Hughes of course but he wanted more money than we were prepared to pay- especially considering his off field antics and has gone to a very new moneyed club with obviously lofty ambitions and the finances to match- I doubt we could afford to pay Sven a third of what he's getting just to manage the team- nevermind be a director of football). We obviously went into this season as bit of a rebuild (having 8 debutants on the first day (9 if you count Byfield) ought to make that obvious-with another two players who are to make their debuts). I'd agree 2 goals in 3 games isn't all that great but we could have had a worse start and 4 points after 3 games is a good start considering- especially when I think we will get better as the new team begins to gel.

Give Abbott and Parker time they are both capable of scoring around 20 goals in this divison. It is quite possible that we have our first two right sided midfield players out injured (Smalley and Purdie) and as a result we have a right back playing right midfield- that can't be condusive to scoring goals. We have also played 2/3rds of our games away (like half the teams) I wonder how we look without the teams who have played two games at home (I think we are about 3rd/4th out of 12 which isn't that bad).

Plus if it wasn't for a very very good performance by Stockports goalie we could have had 3/4 on the opening day. Comparing this years team to last years I can actually seeing us scoring more goals this year than we did last year (purely because we have got 2 strikers who are capable of scoring 20 goals in this divison as opposed to 1)- that in combination with the fact I can't see this team loosing to the likes of Herford 5-0 or Yeovil 2-0 I think we might do OK this year. Whilst we don't look as likely to score goals at this point than we did at the same point last year (we scored double the amount of goals in our first league game than we have now- but bear in mind we've conceeded the same amount of league goals as we had after last year's first league game too). How many goals did we look likely to score when Hughes wasn't in form- it wasn't that many and Hughes had scored half his league goals by October. If after 10 games we are still averaging under a goal a game I might be worried but I doubt it.

DP got two of our many things we were lacking sorted out with his first two buys. We got a big target man and a bit more of a thug in midfield. We have some of the best passing centre halfs in the division so a big target man was vital (for the accurate hoof). He got in one secondary striker who was better than what we had (Parker) and he looks like maybe getting in another who was also better than what we had (Byfield) (barring Hughes of course but he wanted more money than we were prepared to pay- especially considering his off field antics and has gone to a very new moneyed club with obviously lofty ambitions and the finances to match- I doubt we could afford to pay Sven a third of what he's getting just to manage the team- nevermind be a director of football). We obviously went into this season as bit of a rebuild (having 8 debutants on the first day (9 if you count Byfield) ought to make that obvious-with another two players who are to make their debuts). I'd agree 2 goals in 3 games isn't all that great but we could have had a worse start and 4 points after 3 games is a good start considering- especially when I think we will get better as the new team begins to gel.

I think Hazell finds one of our own men 1/10 when he has to pass it forwards. Slightly better 5/10 when passing side ways!!!

It's true there is little of a supply line either, but Abbott has no strike partner so the task is monumental.

He should have sorted the second striker situation out before the season started, lets see if he brings one in , IMO if he sticks with what he has got goals will be scarce.

Well he has til 1st September til the market closes.......5pm....(I think)....because of bank holiday.......lets sit back and wait and see :grin:

When we get our injured players back I think we'll be OK...I'm looking forward to seeing Purdie who, along with Smalley, will be competing for the right side of midfield and that should improve the supply to the strikers.

I think there are funds available for a centre back and we will see one before the end of the window.

I would like to see another striker come in....Glenn Murray from Brighton would be a perfect partner for Abbott but the only way we could finance such a move would be to sacrifice Taylor.

Don't get me wrong I like Taylor but everything goes through him and as a result, we seem to be very one dimensional and a little bit too predictable.

If we could sell him for a million we could get Murray and another left sided player and still have 2/3 of it left to to add to the Eardley money and enable TTA to offset this and maybe next seasons losses!