No Asian Support?

I myself would be happy to see the Asians supporting their home town team, if they did I think you could see attendances boosted by 500-1000 fans. But how to get them to come, I have no Idea. In 15 yrs of watching Latics I can safely say that I have only seen around 10-15 asians. I remember one time around the late 90's a group of about 8 sat in the chaddy, I just remember hearing people muttering racist slur and giving the odd dirty look. No wonder I never saw them in the ground again. And the other time was about 2-3 years ago, on the last game of the season there was an asian lad there with his dad, they both got involved with the pitch invasion at the end too, which was good to see. But I cant say if I have seen them since.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blunt truth of the matter is whatever Latics attendance would increase by in Asian support, they will loose in white support.

People want to be around there own people, it's human nature. How many people can honestly say they would feel comfortable surrounded by Asian youths (even if they are there to support Oldham). There's too many people on here afraid to give their honest opinion. Asian youths will not want to mix with White youths and vice-versa.

Edited by bowl

The blunt truth of the matter is whatever Latics attendance would increase by in Asian support, they will loose in white support.

People want to be around there own people, it's human nature. How many people can honestly say they would feel comfortable surrounded by Asian youths (even if they are there to support Oldham). There's too many people on here afraid to give their honest opinion. Asian youths will not want to mix with White youths and vice-versa.

As i said in an early post, i used to work in a youth centre in coldhurst. All but one member of staff was Asian. Every single young person in the busy centre was Asian. I felt comfortable. Some people wouldn't feel uncomfortable surrounded by any 'youths' but that isn't the issue here.

Until prejudice and discrimination takes a major back seat in our town (i say back seat because it will never disappear) we won't be seeing our attendances being boosted by the Asian population.

I guess that depends on what you define as "their own". For you it's clearly all about skin colour, for others in NI it's about being catholic or protestant, in otherplaces people find other things to try to determine that someone esle does not fit in with what they want. I'd class my "own" as people who want to treat others with decency regardless of any skin colour / religion / place of birth.

You clearly would rather sit next to a white burglar than an asian policeman, judging by your post.

However, at latics for me it's about supporting latics.

I can see your argument but its a load of :censored: I can't see that many Oldham fans stopping going just because we have some members of the non-white British/Irish population turning up. (If they do I'm not sure I want them as Oldham fans). How many people have stopped going since we signed a Pole? Or how about when Roger Palmer was scoring goals or Colusso etc. If Asians want to come we should try and encourage them as much as possible. While Yes I will admit being surrounded by Asian youths would make me uneasy, so do I feel uneasy being surrounded by the Chav scum who wear black coats and sit (or is that stand) at the front of the RRE and go looking (or pretend to look for) trouble- the race of the youth doesn't matter its how they act. When people go to watch Oldham they could be white, orange, brown, black, yellow or green it doesn't matter as for those 2 hours we are all blue.

If people in Oldham were that bothered about the Asian community can I suggest they move- there are loads of towns where the non-white British/Irish population is about 1% in Oldham its about 30%.

I guess that depends on what you define as "their own". For you it's clearly all about skin colour, for others in NI it's about being catholic or protestant, in otherplaces people find other things to try to determine that someone esle does not fit in with what they want. I'd class my "own" as people who want to treat others with decency regardless of any skin colour / religion / place of birth.

You clearly would rather sit next to a white burglar than an asian policeman, judging by your post.

It's not my personal opinion it's how society works.

I can tell you now, if Latics ever get a large Asian support, they will loose a large number of White supporters.

It's like if an Asian's ever move on your street, you know that your house price will drop greatly because other White people will be put off moving in.

I'm not agreeing to these points just stating them.

spot on real,spot on.

I can tell you now, if Latics ever get a large Asian support, they will loose a large number of White supporters.

It's like if an Asian's ever move on your street, you know that your house price will drop greatly because other White people will be put off moving in.

what if these 'so called people' needed a life saving operation and the only surgeon available happened to be asian are you sugesting they would say "no thanks i'll wait for a white one if thats all the same".very shallow,very shallow.

:blink:

If our fans are scared of standing near Asians peacefully supporting the same team as them at a football ground, aren't they a bit soft?

They don't have to wear Turbans, the turban is not a requirement of their religion. Not cutting their hair is. They just use the turban to tie it up. They simply use some other method to tie the hair back.

If asians started watching latics I don't think that many "white" people would leave, yes there would be the odd looser who leaves, but that wouldn't bother me, the club or the majority of fans, as we can all do without these people.

ITS 2009 NOT THE DARK AGES

If our fans are scared of standing near Asians peacefully supporting the same team as them at a football ground, aren't they a bit soft?

They'll be just asking for trouble if they Stand ..... I won't be able to see :ranting:

They don't have to wear Turbans, the turban is not a requirement of their religion. Not cutting their hair is. They just use the turban to tie it up. They simply use some other method to tie the hair back.

If asians started watching latics I don't think that many "white" people would leave, yes there would be the odd looser who leaves, but that wouldn't bother me, the club or the majority of fans, as we can all do without these people.

ITS 2009 NOT THE DARK AGES

You book the boat, ill bring the maggots!

I guess its all about how comfortable you are in yourself and around other people Ive played football reguarly with and against asians it doesn't bother me. It might bother others but the only thing that bothers me is how someone acts I do miss the lookers abit as their was generally abit less moaning and groaning than in the main stand.

Getting minorities to come and watch football in this country has been traditionally difficult anyway. Football stadiums with their histories of violence and racisim have been pretty intimidating places to go for minorities and while that has changed alot in the past 20 years obviously but still has not had a significant impact on those of different ethnic backgrounds attending matches. The area around Arsenals stadium has a very high Afro Carribean population yet you don't see too many black faces in the crowd. Main Road is in Moss Side again a large Afro Carribean area again you only seemed to ever see white faces in the crowd.

Having been to the cricket in recent years at old trafford it doesn't seem to much of a problem getting asians to go and watch that and I am talking about going to watch Lancashire though it helps obviously that this sport has you can argue is the national game in the sub continent plus you have the likes of Wasim Akram, Harbajan Singh and VVS Laxman all playing for Lancashire in recent years along with Saj Mahmood plus the atmosphere is less intimidating.

Having an asian player going on to have a distinguisehd career and going onto play for England one day may have the desired impact that many wish to see.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I can see your argument but its a load of :censored: I can't see that many Oldham fans stopping going just because we have some members of the non-white British/Irish population turning up. (If they do I'm not sure I want them as Oldham fans). How many people have stopped going since we signed a Pole? Or how about when Roger Palmer was scoring goals or Colusso etc. If Asians want to come we should try and encourage them as much as possible. While Yes I will admit being surrounded by Asian youths would make me uneasy, so do I feel uneasy being surrounded by the Chav scum who wear black coats and sit (or is that stand) at the front of the RRE and go looking (or pretend to look for) trouble- the race of the youth doesn't matter its how they act. When people go to watch Oldham they could be white, orange, brown, black, yellow or green it doesn't matter as for those 2 hours we are all blue.

If people in Oldham were that bothered about the Asian community can I suggest they move- there are loads of towns where the non-white British/Irish population is about 1% in Oldham its about 30%.

Do you not think that has and is happening ? Jesus. Open your eyes. Take it from me - I deal with a lot of people who are moving and I know full well why of lot of people are moving out of the inner areas of Oldham and Rochdale.

I'd like to see more people at BP, whatever colour they are, but in all honesty I think it's too soon for groups of Asian youths to be coming to BP. There'd be trouble. The communities are still too segregated and resentful of each other. Someone said earlier that ''paki-bashing'' was 30 years ago (not quite true) but they failed to mention that in Oldham things have turned full circle and it's white-bashing now.

You book the boat, ill bring the maggots!

:grin:

He talks sense though Beardy.

yes .... but as long as being like yourself actually go round repeating this tripe, people will continue to be afraid off each others cultures / beliefs

I disagree also Mark, you don't have an argument "bowl"....

I think that sort of comment shows the level of prejudice many people have. There are plenty of white people who could cause my house value to lower by moving in next door, and equally there are plenty of asian people who could do the same. You choose to pick one group and ignore the other. That is pretty much the definition of prejudice.

There's a lot of asian people who would never deign to live in my street as it would be too much of a come down for them.