When was your first game, and when did you get the bug?

singe

When did you go get hooked?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. When did you go to your first match

• 0-4
    • 5-10
    • 10-16
    • 17-21
    • Later
  2. 2. When do you consider you got hooked

• 0-4
    • 5-10
    • 11-16
    • 17-21
    • LAter
  3. 3. Who did you go with?

• Father
    • Mother
    • Relative
    • Neighbour
    • Friend/s
    • School mates
    • Mates (non school)
    • Boyfriend/ girlfriend fiance/ fiancee/wife
  4. 4. Did a footballer ever visit your school?

• Pre school
    • Junior School
    • Senior School
    • College
    • Never saw one

I know, I know, another poll!

However, this has a serious point, I have just managed to read the thread about marketing the club, and wondered if a huge effort should go to kids.

I know we all say it should, but then when something is done and loads of kids go there are lots of threads moaning about the kids and the seat being taken!

But lets look at when you were hooked and whether you ever saw a footballer at your school. In my case I am going back nught 30/35 years but in my 13 years at school (I did 1 year of A level/O level resits) I can recall 1 occaison when a footballer came. I don't recall who )or if it happened) and it was at junior school.

WE should have had at least 1 visit a year and taken a PE day or soemthing.

Admittedly, I was at Saddleworth School, and it was more a Rugby school with Phil Larder as a PE teacher (and I cannot see him letting a football take PE!) , with Mike Ford the yeat above me. but I still am primarily a football fan though take a good interest in the Rugvy team.

I wne to my firs tmatch with a neighbour at 4, then more with my dad after mithering him, at about 8-10.

IT strikes me footballers do less to promote the club though, even less than before as you never read about it, is that a myth?

Also who took you, os that a target.

Mods feel free to merge with the other thread.

Any other ideas suggestions I'll happily consider asking.

I've made the who did you go with multiple choice, in hindsight.

Edited by singe

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get of your high elephant :wink:

I know, I know. But he just fires out these polls and posts that are obviously put together super quickly and hence littered with mistakes...shame, cos you can tell he's a clever lad.

When I was at primary school a famous footballer came to visit. He played for United and was a part of the squad that rampaged its way to the treble in 1999.

His name? Michael Clegg.

Oh how my old primary school mates laughed when he signed for us a few years later. 'Was he the :censored: one who came to our school?'...

I think I've still got a signed photo of him in a United shirt somewhere at home. I hope it will be worth something one day. Give it 40 years and I reckon it could fetch a fiver.

Edited by jsslatic

not sure on the exact ages but went to a handfull of games between about 6 and 11 with my dad and brother maybe ten games dotted across that time and loved it but wouldnt say i was hooked as a latics fan till my first season ticket in early teens with a boundary blues season ticket. think it was 25 quid at the time mite av been 35 but for that price you cant go wrong. i think it is at 50 pound at the minute surely a major marketing scheme for this age group and offer would reap long term benefits? an advert in the chron every week during off season a small ad on a the local radio stations gmr, galaxy, key 103 ect they go out across the whole of manchester i no but might even tempt people from a wider area to cpme along and wach a full season of footy for less than the price of two city/man u tickets. in my opinion that is a major age group that should be targeted in the long run. short term these family days are a good idea but need to be maketed and maybe do offers for two or three games at a time at reduced rate. xmas special tickets with tickets for all home gaems over the festive period at a reduced rate. theres load that can be done

I know, I know. But he just fires out these polls and posts that are obviously put together super quickly and hence littered with mistakes...shame, cos you can tell he's a clever lad.

No, I just caught the close poll button accidentally.

Look, it's a poll. IT's just a poll. If you are not arsed, you don't have to read it, much less comment. It says it's a poll in sodding big letters in the title of the thread, with my name next to it.

I did not have a problem when you criticised the content, eveyone is entitled to their opinion. But why comment just becasue it is there.

And the success or not, will be determined by how many read and vote.

Why the sniper attack?

It's a subject we call care about, and in the past the equiavlent of 10% of the home gate on average have voted. Companies pay big money for that sort of survery %.

And as for the misakes, I have to get up at 5.30 am to go to work, I got home at 9.40. I am responsible for 50 staff. I have a two year old son. I am frigging well sleep deprived, so I don't actaully give a toss about the odd spelling mistake or 4. Get over yourself.

Edited by singe

My dad who was born in new moston and is a lifelong red started by taking me to old trafford, i remember seeing ian storey-moore with his white boots. I soon saw the light though, went to latics and that was it ...hooked!

I can't remember the opposition in my first match, but it was in the season we won the ford sporting league. I think we won £70000 or something and built the lookers stand out of the proceeds.

Fryatt and shaw up front i seem to remember.........Happy days!

No, I just caught the close poll button accidentally.

Look, it's a poll. IT's just a poll. If you are not arsed, you don't have to read it, much less comment. It says it's a poll in sodding big letters in the title of the thread, with my name next to it.

I did not have a problem when you criticised the content, eveyone is entitled to their opinion. But why comment just becasue it is there.

And the success or not, will be determined by how many read and vote.

Why the sniper attack?

It's a subject we call care about, and in the past the equiavlent of 10% of the home gate on average have voted. Companies pay big money for that sort of survery %.

And as for the misakes, I have to get up at 5.30 am to go to work, I got home at 9.40. I am responsible for 50 staff. I have a two year old son. I am frigging well sleep deprived, so I don't actaully give a toss about the odd spelling mistake or 4. Get over yourself.

Consider ourselves 'singed' :surrender:

Think Andy Ritchie and Sean McCarthy regularly came into our school for visits. Especially seen as their kids were in the same Primary School. :lol:

:censored: hell. Andy Ritchie. Best we got was Andy Barlow. He presented our teams' Royton Primary Schools League Winners medals in 1990.

:censored: hell. Andy Ritchie. Best we got was Andy Barlow. He presented our teams' Royton Primary Schools League Winners medals in 1990.

We got Earl Barrett... I was pretty much the only Oldham Fan at the school but wasnt choose to pose for the Oldham Chron pic with him... Got to love the :censored: we call teachers :D

My first game was United V Watford in 85 or 86. My first game at BP (that I remember) was a 5 - 3 victory. I'm sure it was either Pompey Or Hull. I think we were 3 nil up and left with about ten mins to go and it ended 5 - 3 ??? Can prozac confirm ? It was a night match.

I actually only had Oldham as my second team at that point. My dad brought me up as a Man U fan, but my step-dad took me to Latics every now and then from 88/89 onwards. I didn't make Oldham my first team until Mark Hughes equalised in the FAC semi in '94 (I'll get my coat)...something just made me change that instant. I could see the look of distraught in the Oldham fans faces in pub we were in and I went from being happy at United getting back in the game to be being gutted that Oldham were pretty much saying good bye to their chance of ever appearing in an FAC final. Since then it's Oldham first for me.

We got Earl Barrett... I was pretty much the only Oldham Fan at the school but wasnt choose to pose for the Oldham Chron pic with him... Got to love the twats we call teachers :D

I saw him whilst I was out in Manchester last year...I chewed the poor man's ear off for an age, but he was nice and seemed to appreciate the recognition.

Sometimes - just sometimes - I am too obscure for my own good. I was making an unintelligable pun based on your error about Attila the Hun riding elephants, when in fact he rode horses. Possibly high ones. But I fully accept that there is absolutely no reason for anybody else in the world to get it.