When was your first game, and when did you get the bug?

singe

When did you go get hooked?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. When did you go to your first match

• 0-4
    • 5-10
    • 10-16
    • 17-21
    • Later
  2. 2. When do you consider you got hooked

• 0-4
    • 5-10
    • 11-16
    • 17-21
    • LAter
  3. 3. Who did you go with?

• Father
    • Mother
    • Relative
    • Neighbour
    • Friend/s
    • School mates
    • Mates (non school)
    • Boyfriend/ girlfriend fiance/ fiancee/wife
  4. 4. Did a footballer ever visit your school?

• Pre school
    • Junior School
    • Senior School
    • College
    • Never saw one

That was in the league and it was supposed to be one of the games Fash (and the goalie- Segers) threw for money. Considering Fash scored an own goal and Segers gifted us one I'm not surprised.

April '93 Fash o.g., Bernard, Olney 2, Adams and a debut sub goal from Beckford. Wimbledon brought it back it 3-2 from 3-0 at one stage with two goals from Dean Holdsworth, they had a man sent off as well. Club was doing a special promotion for U-16s that day - a quid entry to the RRE. Money well spent!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first game was around '67 or '68 when I was four in the old broadway stand with my Gramp, hooked and been ever since. First game I remember was around 69 or so when we lost at home v South shields in the cup.

I'm carrying on the tradition, my daughter started in 00/01 v Blackpool at home aged 9, when we drew 1-1 scored in the last minute to send them down. Has a season ticket with me in RRE.

My son, aged 3 went to his first game last week, loves Chaddy Owl and enjoyed the game, and running up and down each row. He's interested which is a good start, I'm not going to push him, but he'll be hooked like the rest of us...

He even says 'red is bad', where did he get that from?

it was a cold day and I remember a wall of senses hitting me as we took our place up on the terrace, the smell of coffee and bovril mixed in with tobacco and stale pies. The crackly PA system belting out Mouldy Old Dough, the chanting of the crowd - which to my young ears was the loudest thing i'd ever heard! The brightness of that wonderful Spall kit and how I concentrated as I read the programme.

That's just how it was weren't it?

My dad, traditionally was a United fan until he was about 12 or 13, due to my Grandad taking him to see the Busby Babes on occasion. But he then felt more affinity for Citeh, because he fancied the underdog more, and he started seeing them instead once he was old enough to travel on his own. I think he went semi regular until he got married, and I came along then going to the football became a rare occurance.

He did take me however, around 1981 or so, to Maine Road to see them take on Ipswich. It scared the :censored: out of me, all these huge blokes screaming at the big grassy thing in front. I was consumed by a mixture of awe and fear, paying no notice of any football played. About this time though, my dad started to watch Latics too (as he divorced my mum and had finished his degree) so he kinda saw Latics play at home when Citeh were away and vice versa.

My first Latics game was in 1983, with us playing Stoke at home. I think we lost, 0-2 rings a bell. Again, fascinated by the crowd more than the footy but less scared of it all and more intrigued. I think the bug finally bit sometime around 1986 and watching a couple of the World Cup matches. An awesome final with Argentina winning 3-2. As I was living with my mum in Burnley about this time and visited my Dad every fortnight or so, my school was just populated with Burnley, Everton and Manchester United fans. It felt unique and special supporting Oldham, and I copped for a fair amount of stick by Burnley fans especially, even with them being in the 4th Division at the time and nearly being relegated from the league.

I think the first game I really remember well, was a 4-2 home win on a Friday night against Reading. Can't recall the scorers but Latics were superb that night. Bitterly cold but I loved every minute of it and I went to around 7 or 8 games that season.

1987-88 I was completely hooked. My dad was still a bit half and half with Citeh though, but this changed when we played them down there near Christmastime. A fantastic win by us, with a Tommy Wright goal and the fantastic "Yard Dogs" nickname was first coined. Dad (in the Citeh end at the time) turned round and whispered "Latics it is from now on".

I moved from Burnley to Oldham to live with my Dad towards the end of the 1988-89 season and by this time I was completely obsessed seeing us play regularly, and even catching some away games which were fairly local like Blackburn, WBA, Walsall, Stoke and Leeds. God, the next 4 or 5 years right through school were just completely mindblowing. I feel lucky to be as old as I am, just catching it all as an enthusiastic teenager.

Good times.

That's just how it was weren't it?

My dad, traditionally was a United fan until he was about 12 or 13, due to my Grandad taking him to see the Busby Babes on occasion. But he then felt more affinity for Citeh, because he fancied the underdog more, and he started seeing them instead once he was old enough to travel on his own. I think he went semi regular until he got married, and I came along then going to the football became a rare occurance.

He did take me however, around 1981 or so, to Maine Road to see them take on Ipswich. It scared the :censored: out of me, all these huge blokes screaming at the big grassy thing in front. I was consumed by a mixture of awe and fear, paying no notice of any football played. About this time though, my dad started to watch Latics too (as he divorced my mum and had finished his degree) so he kinda saw Latics play at home when Citeh were away and vice versa.

My first Latics game was in 1983, with us playing Stoke at home. I think we lost, 0-2 rings a bell. Again, fascinated by the crowd more than the footy but less scared of it all and more intrigued. I think the bug finally bit sometime around 1986 and watching a couple of the World Cup matches. An awesome final with Argentina winning 3-2. As I was living with my mum in Burnley about this time and visited my Dad every fortnight or so, my school was just populated with Burnley, Everton and Manchester United fans. It felt unique and special supporting Oldham, and I copped for a fair amount of stick by Burnley fans especially, even with them being in the 4th Division at the time and nearly being relegated from the league.

I think the first game I really remember well, was a 4-2 home win on a Friday night against Reading. Can't recall the scorers but Latics were superb that night. Bitterly cold but I loved every minute of it and I went to around 7 or 8 games that season.

1987-88 I was completely hooked. My dad was still a bit half and half with Citeh though, but this changed when we played them down there near Christmastime. A fantastic win by us, with a Tommy Wright goal and the fantastic "Yard Dogs" nickname was first coined. Dad (in the Citeh end at the time) turned round and whispered "Latics it is from now on".

I moved from Burnley to Oldham to live with my Dad towards the end of the 1988-89 season and by this time I was completely obsessed seeing us play regularly, and even catching some away games which were fairly local like Blackburn, WBA, Walsall, Stoke and Leeds. God, the next 4 or 5 years right through school were just completely mindblowing. I feel lucky to be as old as I am, just catching it all as an enthusiastic teenager.

Good times.

The Friday night Reading game was 4-0 mate (night of Zeebrugge) the 4-2 was the following season. Oh and Tommy Wright scored both at Maine Road although one bounced in off the bar via Perry Suckling! Good memories!

AND

AND

My first match was against Orient in 1974 too (although the away tie, bizarrely)! Maybe we should start a club. Maybe there's something significant here? Was it anyone else's first match? Shall we have a poll ... ?

Oooops, apologies for the language Chaplain! :grin:

not sure on the eyar but it was a plastic pitch and after the game we won a trophy and thay did a lap of honour

atleaste 62.16% blame our farthers for taking is to the latics :D haha

Rochdale I reckon August '88 Rose Bowl

We won 5-2

My first game was United V Watford in 85 or 86. My first game at BP (that I remember) was a 5 - 3 victory. I'm sure it was either Pompey Or Hull. I think we were 3 nil up and left with about ten mins to go and it ended 5 - 3 ??? Can prozac confirm ? It was a night match.

I actually only had Oldham as my second team at that point. My dad brought me up as a Man U fan, but my step-dad took me to Latics every now and then from 88/89 onwards. I didn't make Oldham my first team until Mark Hughes equalised in the FAC semi in '94 (I'll get my coat)...something just made me change that instant. I could see the look of distraught in the Oldham fans faces in pub we were in and I went from being happy at United getting back in the game to be being gutted that Oldham were pretty much saying good bye to their chance of ever appearing in an FAC final. Since then it's Oldham first for me.

March '89 Portsmouth 5-0 with 10 minutes remaining finished 5-3. We did the same thing v Forest 3 1/2 years later.

Sometimes - just sometimes - I am too obscure for my own good. I was making an unintelligable pun based on your error about Attila the Hun riding elephants, when in fact he rode horses. Possibly high ones. But I fully accept that there is absolutely no reason for anybody else in the world to get it.

Not quilty, squirecat. Not a clue what you're on about. Perhaps you're mixing me up with some other person. Or perhaps you're just looking for an excuse to use the word ' Hun '..... :unsure:

Not quilty, squirecat. Not a clue what you're on about. Perhaps you're mixing me up with some other person. Or perhaps you're just looking for an excuse to use the word ' Hun '..... :unsure:

Oh yeah - yarddog and Yard Dog. I think I did have you down as a bit schizomad in the back of my mind, it makes more sense now...

March '89 Portsmouth 5-0 with 10 minutes remaining finished 5-3. We did the same thing v Forest 3 1/2 years later.

Good man. I knew I could rely on thee.

Did we play Hull around that time as well and beat them ? All I can remember is hearing the ' You dirty Yorkshire bastard ' chant quite a lot....it's remained a favourite of mine to thid day, although the Bradfordian girl of mine is far from impressed when she hears me shout it at the football.

Edited by Yard Dog

Good man. I knew I could rely on thee.

Did we play Hull around that time as well and beat them ? All I can remember is hearing the ' You dirty Yorkshire bastard ' chant quite a lot....it's remained a favourite of mine to thid day, although the Bradfordian girl of mine is far from impressed when she hears me shout it at the football.

Bradford a few weeks later, we drew 1-1 and they kicked us off the park Brian Tinnion in particular did a real hatchet job on Tommy Wright.

There was a home game v Hull in March '90 where we were 3-0 up and cruising but we were cliniging on at the end for a 3-2 win, memorable for Jobbo scoring for Hull and a bad injury to our nemesis Andy Payton.

QUOTE (leeslover @ Oct 8 2009, 22:07 PM)

Oh yeah - yarddog and Yard Dog. I think I did have you down as a bit schizomad in the back of my mind, it makes more sense now...

Well thank you. That's very kind of you.....

Having seen posts from both of them, I think we need more proof, medical reports and such like. :wink::grin:

PS I am in more of a bad mood than last night. :lol:

Well thank you. That's very kind of you.....

Only in so far as I hadn't properly noticed that there were two posters and I thought it was one who seemed to have different ideas.

Anyway, don't make me angry. I know Singe, and you wouldn't like him when he's angry :wink:

Darlington 1969 - we were losing 0-1 when a penalty was awarded and Latics centre forward John Bingham missed. If I recall correctly he had the crowd on his back for most of the game and it intensified after the miss - he did not play much after this. Fortunately, the penalty was retaken, Ian Wood stepped up to bury it and I was hooked - helped by the two promotions that followed under Jimmy Frizzell!

First game pre season friendly v citeah 1973 taken as a birthday treat by my dad . Went sparodicaly 1973 but hardly missed from new year 1974 .Never had any player visit at either uppermill junior or saddleworth high school as i to suffered from the phil larder "thugby" years at school cant get exited about the oval ball game to this day .Was lucky enough to havd a whole gang of tics to travel from uppermill with both home and away which helped .Have managed to get three of my four kids hooked on latics despite living in exhile in leigh and salford unfortunatly eldest was seduced over to the dark side by some pretty boy called beckham .We HAVE GOT TO get the kids hooked as early as possible ! Get the players /chaddy owl /blue crew out in the schools youth clubs etc lots of free tickets for under 12s with accompanying adult getting in cheap get em hooked early get em for life ! Look at hudds every 7yo in the borouh get birthday card and match ticket for either the football or rugby thats how you hook em in !

Oldham 2-2 Stockport.

League Cup game.

Latics were 2-0 up from the away leg, but went in at half-time 2-0 down (2-2 agg) after Dean Emerson scored twice for County.

Someone crocked the ginger Emerson though and while I have no idea who scored Latics fought back to win the tie 4-2 on aggregate.

I also remember a game v Grimsby where I got there 20 minutes late. Latics were already 3-0 up when I got in. Final score ... 3-0.

first memory was bradford away in the 80s when carlisle fans (i think) came in our end and kicked off as theyre game was called off i remember my dad telling me to wait at the front while he and his mates got them out!

my dad taking me to blackburn and leeds away and letting me stick my fingers up at there fans! and telling me when i get older not to talk to these kind of people!!! he said i would understand when i was older.

we played derby away 1st game of the season and won 1-0. ron futcher scoring if i remember correctly. a policeman telling my mum to hide her scarf and her telling him in no uncertain terms to piss off as she was not scared to show her colours.

mike cecere scoring in the playoffs against dirty leeds was a fine, fine moment.

hanging on the fence at the front of the chaddy with numb hands was the best thing ever and these are the times when the bug certainly set in.

yard dogs.

aaah the memories.

havent got a clue what year it was

i know it finished 0-0 on the plastic pitch, with Frankie Bunn firing over from the edge of the box

come on clever arse prozac when was this? :lol::lol:

We never drew a game at BP at home on the Plastic pitch whilst Frankie Bunn was in the team! :lol: We drew 0-0 with Hull at BP in September 1987 midweek game, Bunn may well have been in the Hull team that night as he signed for us two months later. The next time we drew 0-0 at home was over 5 years later at home to Exeter in a league Cup 2nd leg!

That Good enough for yer Smart Arse! :wink:

The next League game we drew 0-0 at BP was against Arsenal in October of the 93/94 season - 6 years since the last home league 0-0!

Edited by oafcprozac