McNiven twins

My dad's mate scouted him for Liverpool about 5 times.

Two games he was quality, three he was awful.

Also took one look at Mark Hotte.

Glad he's okay but he was bloody awful!

Anyone remember Wayne Harris? Liverpool got him from us as a 16 year old after about 2 games for £250k (prob more like £1m in todays terms). Only game I saw him play was away at Sheffield Wednesday in a 5-1 defeat in the FA cup and he wasn't very good. I bet someone got a bollocking over that one.

Glad he's okay but he was bloody awful!

Anyone remember Wayne Harris? Liverpool got him from us as a 16 year old after about 2 games for £250k (prob more like £1m in todays terms). Only game I saw him play was away at Sheffield Wednesday in a 5-1 defeat in the FA cup and he wasn't very good. I bet someone got a bollocking over that one.

Wayne Harrison and he did look decent in his short time with Latics. Injuries wrecked his chances in a big way at Liverpool.

I reckon the Allott song could be suitably amended for the McNivens...

They used to be shyte

Now they're still shyte

Walking in a McNiven wonderland...

David was absolutely awful but you know what imo Scott was steady if very unspectacular, don't forget he made his debut at 16 in a team that would be soon on its arse and he gave us 6 years decent service - ok he was :censored:e going forward but as along as he didn't try and play football he was more than adequate and after he left we struggled at right-back (Holden, Clegg and Forbes) until Eards broke through and people just constantly slagged him off too. Oh and Scott was a Scottish Under 21 international on a few occasions. He played hundreds of games for us and was still a kid when he was shipped out!

David was absolutely awful but you know what imo Scott was steady if very unspectacular, don't forget he made his debut at 16 in a team that would be soon on its arse and he gave us 6 years decent service - ok he was :censored:e going forward but as along as he didn't try and play football he was more than adequate and after he left we struggled at right-back (Holden, Clegg and Forbes) until Eards broke through and people just constantly slagged him off too. Oh and Scott was a Scottish Under 21 international on a few occasions. He played hundreds of games for us and was still a kid when he was shipped out!

He was steadily worse than nearly every player he played against I suppose. Holden was better. Clegg was worse. Forbes was a centre back.

Then again Craig Dudley was the star of the team back then, so if you compare him to the others in the team...

He was steadily worse than nearly every player he played against I suppose. Holden was better. Clegg was worse. Forbes was a centre back.

Then again Craig Dudley was the star of the team back then, so if you compare him to the others in the team...

Exactly, a team of non-league players that comfortably survived in mid-table and who often ruffled the feathers of the division's big boys - not bad to say we were :censored:e. Although those three seasons at home have to be the worst in my 24 seasons - some of it was shocking and people spout how each defeat we suffer 'is the worst ever' no way, There's probably about 30 games out of Ritchie's 150 or so in charge that WERE the worst performances ever. The amount of times we lost 1-0 at home under Stitch was depressing, as well as getting dicked 4-1 at home in each of his full seasons, soul destroying but the week after we'd go and win away! Stitch worked miracles to not only keep us up but mid-table!

Oh and Holden was an under-achieving big-time Charlie and only looked decent when Dowie out of desperation and a shortage of players moved him to Left-Back! For Clegg see Kieran Lee and Forbes yeah he's a centre-half but still blows very cold in the middle.

Edited by oafcprozac

Oh and Scott was a Scottish Under 21 international on a few occasions. He played hundreds of games for us and was still a kid when he was shipped out!

Once he played for them. He was sent off and they never called him up again (it was in the programme not long back on former players). Just checking his career stats with us an it looks like he made 267 league and cup appearances!

Once he played for them. He was sent off and they never called him up again (it was in the programme not long back on former players). Just checking his career stats with us an it looks like he made 267 league and cup appearances!

All by the time he was 22/23!

All by the time he was 22/23!

Seeing Scott had made so many appearances by such a young age, it got me thinking and it's totally off topic but Ryan Giggs has made over 800 starts and sub apperances for United - will he become the first outfield player in England to make over 1000 appearances? I know Pat Jennings and Peter Shilton managed it and Paulo Maldini did it in Italy but has any outfield player done it over here?

If he does, it will be an awesome achievement and I suppose if you include Giggs' international appearances he'll be nearer to 900 (886). Hate the Red Bastards but you don't play that many games for Fergie if you're an average player!

Edited by oafcprozac

Seeing Scott had made so many appearances by such a young age, it got me thinking and it's totally off topic but Ryan Giggs has made over 800 starts and sub apperances for United - will he become the first outfield player in England to make over 1000 appearances? I know Pat Jennings and Peter Shilton managed it and Paulo Maldini did it in Italy but has any outfield player done it over here?

If he does, it will be an awesome achievement and I suppose if you include Giggs' international appearances he'll be nearer to 900 (886). Hate the Red Bastards but you don't play that many games for Fergie if you're an average player!

Greegs has managed 681 appearances in all comps - all being well he'll hit 700 in the new year...

And also Giggs suffered a lot from Hamstring injuries during his early career and missed a fair few games, without that he would have been even closer to 1000 appearances.

Edited by ghostofcecere

Going to stick my neck out and guess that Stanley Matthews managed it!