smalleys body language

when he dosnt get a perfect pass or has to chase something he stops running then looks up to the sky sulking! no effort at all seems to think hes something special and he is deffently not a forward and i dont even rate him as a winger.

Wasn't given much in the way of service last night and I wouldn't read too much into his body language. What I would say though is that he needs to step it up abit this year he can't be a reserve/player of the potential for much longer. With the injuries we have he will get plenty of opportunities I would like him to show us all what he can do.

Wasn't given much in the way of service last night and I wouldn't read too much into his body language. What I would say though is that he needs to step it up abit this year he can't be a reserve/player of the potential for much longer. With the injuries we have he will get plenty of opportunities I would like him to show us all what he can do.

He has the potential to be a decent player but i agree with his point about body language. However he has now had that potential now for 2 years but for me is not kincking on with it. Seems to have a really good game once in a while, either brilliant or totally invisible..... He has the power and pace to become a really good winger but his decision making also needs to be improved. Time to step it up a notch once he is fully fit and show some consistancy....

He has the potential to be a decent player but i agree with his point about body language.

I can understand him being frustrated with the service and being frustrated by the Leeds defence. It was a tough night for our lightweight strikers. Perhaps, as a player returning from injury, his body was also not responding to what his brain wanted it to do.

However he has now had that potential now for 2 years but for me is not kincking on with it.

He was better last season than the previous season. He's not played this season, until the last 2 games. I think that's a harsh judgement.

Seems to have a really good game once in a while, either brilliant or totally invisible..... He has the power and pace to become a really good winger but his decision making also needs to be improved. Time to step it up a notch once he is fully fit and show some consistancy....

His final ball was a major weakness last season.

Edited by opinions4u

Smalley has a lot of good points which when put together show why certain Champioship clubs have been sniffing around him. He's fairly tall (at least 6ft 1 I'd say), fairly quick (not super quick) and he has a bit of ball skills. However, at times he looks like a very good pub team player- always running off down blind alleys and doing too much. I don't know if its a lack of self-confidence or what but I heard recently that he's a bright lad with his head stuck on (by someone that knows him slightly). If I was Dave Penney I'd hunt down as much footage of that game against Everton as possible and give it to Smalley he was awesome that day- running rings round Leighton Baines who has since gone on to play for England, he can do it and maybe needs some specific coaching which perhaps our club can't provide from its more permanent members of staff.

X2

Match-fit or not that was a par for the course Smalley performance - never looks interested and never shows any desire or effort. Penney will soon realise. Colbeck's a poor player but he does put the effort in. If we could get a cross between the two we'd be on to a winner.

Match-fit or not that was a par for the course Smalley performance - never looks interested and never shows any desire or effort. Penney will soon realise. Colbeck's a poor player but he does put the effort in. If we could get a cross between the two we'd be on to a winner.

At latics we're always more likely to end up with a cross of the worst characteristics:- a poor player who never looks interested an never shows any desire or effort. :angry:

At latics we're always more likely to end up with a cross of the worst characteristics:- a poor player who never looks interested an never shows any desire or effort. :angry:

I realise he has been injured but he is supposed to be fit now.

If he wants to be a player he needs to make defenders work much harder to win the ball, it was a cup tie but you wouldn't have thought it by his lack of aggression.

He needs to show much more resolution or I fear he will be in danger of falling by the wayside.

Edited by BP1960

If he wants to be a player he needs to make defenders work much harder to win the ball, it was a cup tie but you wouldn't have thought it by his lack of aggression.

He need to show much more resolution or I fear he will be in danger of falling by the wayside.

Nothing further to add - spot on comment about him.

He needs to show much more resolution or I fear he will be in danger of falling by the wayside.

Agree completely BP, we've had players with talent before but their lack of effort and application has led to their downfall - he only needs to look as far as his bezzie mate who has already found himself shipped out to non-league. Step it up Deano or don't the let the door bang your arse on the way out.

2nd game back from a lengthy time out... give the lad a break.

His football seems to be a bit smarter from what I have seen over the last 2 games. Perhaps the body lanquage is frustration at a lack of fitness which is glaringly obvious.

Or perhaps he just cant be arsed. I think the lad has some talent, however I fear he's just lazy. What's up with these kids who have got the chance to make it but dont put the effort in?

Or perhaps he just cant be arsed. I think the lad has some talent, however I fear he's just lazy. What's up with these kids who have got the chance to make it but dont put the effort in?

Talent alone is not enough, all young players should have that constantly repeated to them by coaches, if they take no notice then they shouldn't be surprised if the fall by the wayside.

Talent alone is not enough, all young players should have that constantly repeated to them by coaches, if they take no notice then they shouldn't be surprised if the fall by the wayside.

I agree. But, surely we can't read into every second moment a player has on the pitch.

I've seen Smalley being the only player on the pitch giving a toss. He's nowhere near one I'd pull up for effort*.

*Sadly that would be one of my favourite (ability) players, Alice.

While it doesnt surprise me, surely we can give Smalley a couple more games before we start judging him this season. He has come back from a long lay off and been thrown into the team for 2 tough games in 2 different positions. He was looking good at the end of last season IMO, and I feel he can kick on. Please give him a bit more time at least!!