My idea for something unique...

I went to Toronto in Canada last year and visited the Rogers Centre. Bloody awesome development built back in the 80's..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre

Its huge and pretty much still state of the art... It was well ahead of its time when it was built...

Got me thinking recently about the possibility of building some sort of arena development rather than a traditional stadium. The draw backs would be expandability and cost... The plus points would be atmosphere and better viewing environment and cost... It really could attract people! Nice warm environment... The pitch would have to be grown in the car park I suppose...as a retractable roof would blow up the costs too high...

You notice I said cost as a positive and negative. Mainly because it could start cheap but cost could ramp up depending on what you put into it...

I obviously would not be looking at us building a 50k stadium... 16k arena would be the dogs and could be used for other sports / gigs...

Very pie in the sky I would admit...but thought it might be a decent conversation to be had...

MEN cost £52 million and holds 23,000... Not sure how the costs would change for a 16k offering...

I went to Toronto in Canada last year and visited the Rogers Centre. Bloody awesome development built back in the 80's..

Its huge and pretty much still state of the art... It was well ahead of its time when it was built...

Got me thinking recently about the possibility of building some sort of arena development rather than a traditional stadium. The draw backs would be expandability and cost... The plus points would be atmosphere and better viewing environment and cost... It really could attract people! Nice warm environment... The pitch would have to be grown in the car park I suppose...as a retractable roof would blow up the costs too high...

You notice I said cost as a positive and negative. Mainly because it could start cheap but cost could ramp up depending on what you put into it...

I obviously would not be looking at us building a 50k stadium... 16k arena would be the dogs and could be used for other sports / gigs...

Very pie in the sky I would admit...but thought it might be a decent conversation to be had...

MEN cost £52 million and holds 23,000... Not sure how the costs would change for a 16k offering...

Good idea

Only place where I could disagree with you there is your drawbacks. Cost yes, but expandability is something that could be incorporated in the design process (mk dons style i imagine, as in build a 2nd tier, use it for advertising etc in the meantime and stick seats in there when you need them).

And like you said 16k, yes it may not sell out for latics matches but if its good enough maybe they would host other events there that would sell out. alot of people seem to forget yes it is only a couple of miles away from Eastlands, but not everyone needs 55k or something as big as the COM stadium for something like a concert.

And of course located in Failsworth it's not really that far away from the MEN and G-Mex arena's.

MEN dose not struggle for bookings... It is in fact fully booked all the time...

I think G-Mex makes a better conference hall than it dose anything else. As a music venue it is poor...

I think more realstic contenders against such a dev would be places like the Lowry and the Apollo... Lowry is cool but the Apollo sucks...

Edited by oafc0000

MEN dose not struggle for bookings... It is in fact fully booked all the time...

I think G-Mex makes a better conference hall than it dose anything else. As a music venue it is poor...

I think more realstic contenders against such a dev would be places like the Lowry and the Apollo... Lowry is cool but the Apollo sucks...

The Apollos a good venue

The MEN was built almost 15 years ago. That £52m for 23k would probably be nearer (?) £100m for 23k.

So, 16k would be ? £60m? a bit more ? a bit less?

MEN might be fully booked, but it's also a city centre venue with the opportunity to go drinking/eating before/after. Would 16,000 people want to come to Failsworth?

Would we get planning? Would we get the bookings?

All abit pie-in-the-sky imho.

The Apollos a good venue

Kind of... For music... but thats about it...

Its not very good for much else... as a venue for comedians etc I think its pretty much past its sell by date. Go to the Lowry to see something much more in keeping with the word "good"...

Edited by oafc0000

The MEN was built almost 15 years ago. That £52m for 23k would probably be nearer (?) £100m for 23k.

So, 16k would be ? £60m? a bit more ? a bit less?

MEN might be fully booked, but it's also a city centre venue with the opportunity to go drinking/eating before/after. Would 16,000 people want to come to Failsworth?

Would we get planning? Would we get the bookings?

All fair questions...

I think it would get planning and would get bookings. Being outside of the city means lower operating costs for a start....

The cost will be greater than the amounts needed for a normal stadium. The banks are starting the lend again and something like this might be more of an interest to outside investors.

I will never appoligise for thinking big :wink:

All abit pie-in-the-sky imho.

Yup, but the best ideas start out that way...

The OP's base idea works because in Toronto they have two sports teams that use the stadium- Baseball and Canadian Football- (Go Argos BTW). Its also the sort of place where a large indoor arena gets used for big concerts- the Rolling Stones opened their world tour their and I think the Spice Girls did too. Building an indoor football arena in the UK won't work unless the capacity is in the 40-50 thousand range minimum, Manchester could do with one IMHO as although the MEN is a very good arena for that size it doesn't get used by the really big bands as it is too small- but a big indoor stadium (essentially a stadium with a retractable roof) could prove very popular- it has done in Amsterdam and Cardiff.

You can see a lot of the positives but to do it I would think it would have to be owned by someone else as well (or in whole) but it is an idea which could be worked on- I'm sure it might be feasible to have a stadium with an adjustable height roof. Having said that how often has the ball hit the top of the Main stand- it would hit the roof a fair bit I think.

That's a brilliant idea and would certainly attract much bigger crowds and be totally ground breaking!!!!

It would be totally unique experience for football fans in the UK, whether it is feasible would be open to debate but well worth consideration,

That's a brilliant idea and would certainly attract much bigger crowds and be totally ground breaking!!!!

It would be totally unique experience for football fans in the UK, whether it is feasible would be open to debate but well worth consideration,

Could also have a full size 3g pitch not sure of the costs involved but are they cheaper to maintain than grass pitches?? Back to plastic! Would be ideal for an indoor stadium like this. Totally just random ideas of cause not sure if at all feasable. Similar to that England played on recently...

Kind of... For music... but thats about it...

Its not very good for much else... as a venue for comedians etc I think its pretty much past its sell by date. Go to the Lowry to see something much more in keeping with the word "good"...

its a music venue and nothing else,has very good accoustics for music and you get to hear better sound than you do at bigger venues.

the idea in principle is a good idea.whether or not its feasable or not i wouldnt know,plus the owners only want to spend around 20 million i think.

one option could be plastic pitch again....whats the ruling on plastic pitches these days....could we have one again until promoted or can you have them in championship these days...

its a shame we dont play baseball,we could of done a groundshare or a dome share.

its a music venue and nothing else,has very good accoustics for music and you get to hear better sound than you do at bigger venues.

the idea in principle is a good idea.whether or not its feasable or not i wouldnt know,plus the owners only want to spend around 20 million i think.

one option could be plastic pitch again....whats the ruling on plastic pitches these days....could we have one again until promoted or can you have them in championship these days...

its a shame we dont play baseball,we could of done a groundshare or a dome share.

I think the league wouldn't frown upon it (plastic) too much. The FA don't allow them, so no cup games at the moment.

As mentioned earlier, it would take someone with a considerable amount of money (£40M?) to become a partner. And I wouldn't think we'd see much of the income to the club for many a year.

IT IS NOT THE ROGERS CENTRE IT WILL ALWAYS BEEN KNOWN AS THE SKYDOME :ranting:

Not really sure...... it's an assumption but I think it must be ok. They play Champions League matches on there so it must be UEFA approved and England played there so it must be FIFA approved. So I can't really see how The Football League or the FA could rule against that.

The OP's base idea works because in Toronto they have two sports teams that use the stadium- Baseball and Canadian Football- (Go Argos BTW). Its also the sort of place where a large indoor arena gets used for big concerts- the Rolling Stones opened their world tour their and I think the Spice Girls did too. Building an indoor football arena in the UK won't work unless the capacity is in the 40-50 thousand range minimum, Manchester could do with one IMHO as although the MEN is a very good arena for that size it doesn't get used by the really big bands as it is too small- but a big indoor stadium (essentially a stadium with a retractable roof) could prove very popular- it has done in Amsterdam and Cardiff.

You can see a lot of the positives but to do it I would think it would have to be owned by someone else as well (or in whole) but it is an idea which could be worked on- I'm sure it might be feasible to have a stadium with an adjustable height roof. Having said that how often has the ball hit the top of the Main stand- it would hit the roof a fair bit I think.

[/quo

The Argos suck

The Argos suck

They didn't when I saw them- some weird Canaidan only holiday a few years ago- the cheerleaders were pretty fit too.

Not really sure...... it's an assumption but I think it must be ok. They play Champions League matches on there so it must be UEFA approved and England played there so it must be FIFA approved. So I can't really see how The Football League or the FA could rule against that.

I think they have made exceptions for places where it never gets above freezing, don't think cold and wet 90% of the time woul cut it

Talking of innovative design There is an innovative design for a stadium allowing flexible use

StadiArena

I have to credit the Roughyeds with this info, the thread is here Roughyeds thread , but something to work on. Ignoring the blame game about the Roughyeds use of BP for now.

I love it!! I really love it!!!

Send it to Hardy!!

Edited by oafc0000

Talking of innovative design There is an innovative design for a stadium allowing flexible use

StadiArena

I have to credit the Roughyeds with this info, the thread is here Roughyeds thread , but something to work on. Ignoring the blame game about the Roughyeds use of BP for now.

That does look a good idea. Are you goning to email the club the details?

Downside is that it doesn't seem to include removable seating, and the stand ends up 20m from the pitch. You'd have to be able to do something with a removable section of seats or it would be too far away.

Edited by real