Penney will succeed where Stitch, Talbot and near liquidation failed

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said similar re: Stitch on another thread.

If i remember correctly, you are a Gregan fanboy as well?

Fantastic taste in football B):wub:

Thanks, and yes I love Greegs. Abbott aside there's more quality in him than the rest of our 'outfit' put together.

Quality rules, headless chickens who treat the ball like a hot potato get relegated in front of miniscule crowds.

I'm prepared to accept I'm wrong about Parker, most of you will have seen more of him than me. I'm probably over-defending him after the shocking judgement of a large section of fans who screamed abuse at him after he made the correct decision to not fly into a tackle (IMO). I suppose if he is as awful as many think it's yet another big black mark next to Penney's name considering Parker was his second 'biggest' signing.

As for Shez having a good squad squad at Chesterfield, good for him! Either he's assembled it himself or the Chairman has seen enough in him to trust him to win promotion given the necessary tools.

Anyway, bring back Stitch to sort out this :censored: mess. :imnotworthy:

I like Stitch, but he's not a good manager. We've been there.

The only person I'd bring in to replace Penney to Keith Hill and his assistant from Rochdale. But that won't happen.

I too was a big fan of Parker, it's unbelievable that this was the guy who tore us a new arsehole a couple of seasons back. But not just us, he did it to a lot of teams in our division and was a big part in getting Blackpool up, his pace and skill caught the eye of Championship teams. I'd still like to see him given a run in the side acting as a winger.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Agreed. The priorities for them now should be to stay up but I can only expect to hear about this stadium in Manchester that seems to me to be rushed and done on the cheap. They came in with the right mind set but they soon realised that this town aint goin' nowhere and the club cannot be saved.

There are clubs in towns just as bad or worse than Oldham doing considerably better than we are, however.

Burnley, Wigan, Blackpool and even Hartlepool reached a play off final!

The state of a town has nowt to do with the quality of its football club really. If you strip away all the glory seekers and glitz, ManUre are basically the Salford club, for Christ's sake.

Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, Preston, to mention only local places, all have the same problems as Oldham, essentially.

I agree with Prozac’s opening post. Unusually I didn’t feel inclined to log in to OWTB last night after the match (incidentally I was home before it finished) but I was thinking about the club’s sorry state of affairs all night. It is comfortably the worst it has been in my 20 years supporting the club, in terms of everything (and I include 2003!!).

To me, Penney appears to be a :censored: manager. And people thought Shez was bad… :laught16: Just look at Chesterfield now, not to mention our record under him with, whether you like it or not, an equally poor budget to Penney’s. There was quite a hoohah on here about Penney’s appointment and it seemed positive. It hasn’t been. Thinking about it, his record is pretty average – he did well at Donny with a load of money (but couldn’t get them out of this division) and he did ok at Darlo I suppose, though presumably spending again seeing as they paid £100k for Abbott and ended up in admin. It’s hardly a great record – we’re the biggest club he’s managed and he’s failing miserably, injuries or not. Andy Ritchie has achieved more, and my suggestion of appointing him was often mocked by Penney’s bum boys on here. What I would give to have Stitch or JS in the dug-out now. I talked about giving him time last week but if I was Corney this morning I’d sack Penney on principle and plead with Stitch to come in and try and rescue this appalling state of affairs. Still, I suppose the “I’m not bothered if we lose I just want to see players applying effort” crowd ought to be appeased…. :unsure:

As for the atmosphere, dear :censored:ing god. Outnumbered at home? 3-3.5k home fans? Whilst certainly not only Penney’s fault we’re on the verge of being forever minnows – we’ll be getting less than Dale in the new year, mark my words, and I’ll be one of the ones who isn’t around for it. I’ve always supported a proud, medium sized club and have no interest in what’s going on now – I turned up last night out of duty but I wont be going again for the foreseeable future. You see I absolutely insist on enjoying my life and EVERY time I’ve watched Latics this season I’ve left pissed off and saddened. I’d rather ignore it. So, I won’t be going again until we appoint a manager with some :censored:ing bollocks or Penney grows some. The only thing the bloke has done right is resign Gregan and loan :censored: and it’s a bloody good thing as I’ll tell you what, we’d be rock :censored:ing bottom without them.

I feel sorry for those with season tickets.

:ranting:

Welcome to the gloom Stitch, you will find it quite comforting eventually.

Hopefully Rubes otherwise we really are :censored:ed!

Lol ;-)

That back 2 were really busting my balls earlier this season but credit to them both, they've cut out the silly :censored: they were doing. Sadly, the whole team collectively is a let down...mostly, in midfield!

Joe P...sorry, but Black wasn't the only player available...Jacobson is, to quote Penney yesterday, 100% fit. But he decided to play Black instead. I can't understand that one bit...not that I've owt against Black but if JJ's fit, he was brought here as 1st choice LB so play him. If nothing but for the fact he can take a decent corner (shown in pre-season before being injured.)

Lol ;-)

That back 2 were really busting my balls earlier this season but credit to them both, they've cut out the silly :censored: they were doing. Sadly, the whole team collectively is a let down...mostly, in midfield!

Joe P...sorry, but Black wasn't the only player available...Jacobson is, to quote Penney yesterday, 100% fit. But he decided to play Black instead. I can't understand that one bit...not that I've owt against Black but if JJ's fit, he was brought here as 1st choice LB so play him. If nothing but for the fact he can take a decent corner (shown in pre-season before being injured.)

It's worried me ever since the departure of Trotman that we offer absolutely no threat from corners or set pieces around the box in general. During the Premier League days we saw how you can get away with murder if you can bag a few in this way. Neil Pointon's corners with Jobbo et al getting on the end of them were always a threat, even when we'd been dreadfull for the rest of the game.

For a man that wins so many headers defensively it seems amazing to me Gregan wins so few at the other end.

It's worried me ever since the departure of Trotman that we offer absolutely no threat from corners or set pieces around the box in general. During the Premier League days we saw how you can get away with murder if you can bag a few in this way. Neil Pointon's corners with Jobbo et al getting on the end of them were always a threat, even when we'd been dreadfull for the rest of the game.

For a man that wins so many headers defensively it seems amazing to me Gregan wins so few at the other end.

Spot on and a situation not addressed by any recent managers, it's beyond belief.

I'm prepared to accept I'm wrong about Parker, most of you will have seen more of him than me. I'm probably over-defending him after the shocking judgement of a large section of fans who screamed abuse at him after he made the correct decision to not fly into a tackle (IMO). I suppose if he is as awful as many think it's yet another big black mark next to Penney's name considering Parker was his second 'biggest' signing.

As for Shez having a good squad squad at Chesterfield, good for him! Either he's assembled it himself or the Chairman has seen enough in him to trust him to win promotion given the necessary tools.

Anyway, bring back Stitch to sort out this :censored: mess. :imnotworthy:

The abuse is a f***ing joke...BUT...he's turning out to be what I predicted on here that he might be...just a purple patch player that comes here and does f*** all. He's done 1 good cross vs a team with 10 men. I've never seen a player make so many wrong decisions on pitch in my time supporting...others either make the right ones but aren't good enough to execute it or make the wrong ones but not as painfully often as Parker does. But the abusing of him...well, it's pathetic and serves no purpose whatsoever.

And regards the stature of Parkers signing, he was a cast-off that Udds didn't want. That alone tells me what budget Penneys working with here...he won't be on much, I don't reckon! Which is why we spent all summer thinking our targets were ones we were going to lose to Rochdale etc! Shez spent any of the real gold left in the chest...then went about loaning them to other clubs and replace them with :censored:e from Hartlepool and Middlesboro et al.

As for Shez at CFC...he's had a :censored:load of cash!!! I'm sure I read something in pre-season that the new owners were giving him £4m (I'm guessing that's over time) while they have a new ground built. Doing it with a load of cash in Division 4 doesn't necessarily make you a good manager at all. We've had Brian f****** Talbot that's told us that much!

EDIT:

Here we go...and I bet Shez is still letting on that he's not been given feck all to spend!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...eld/8090921.stm

Edited by boundaryblue80

The abuse is a f***ing joke...BUT...he's turning out to be what I predicted on here that he might be...just a purple patch player that comes here and does f*** all. He's done 1 good cross vs a team with 10 men. I've never seen a player make so many wrong decisions on pitch in my time supporting...others either make the right ones but aren't good enough to execute it or make the wrong ones but not as painfully often as Parker does. But the abusing of him...well, it's pathetic and serves no purpose whatsoever.

And regards the stature of Parkers signing, he was a cast-off that Udds didn't want. That alone tells me what budget Penneys working with here...he won't be on much, I don't reckon! Which is why we spent all summer thinking our targets were ones we were going to lose to Rochdale etc! Shez spent any of the real gold left in the chest...then went about loaning them to other clubs and replace them with :censored:e from Hartlepool and Middlesboro et al.

As for Shez at CFC...he's had a :censored:load of cash!!! I'm sure I read something in pre-season that the new owners were giving him £4m (I'm guessing that's over time) while they have a new ground built. Doing it with a load of cash in Division 4 doesn't necessarily make you a good manager at all. We've had Brian f****** Talbot that's told us that much!

yeah sick of people saying look how well shez is doing now bla bla bla he has the cash to splash wtf cant we get a stable chris moore someone with ambition and cash not just the get by attitude so depressing.

yeah sick of people saying look how well shez is doing now bla bla bla he has the cash to splash wtf cant we get a stable chris moore someone with ambition and cash not just the get by attitude so depressing.

Yeah imagine giving your manager money to spend to enable them to put together a decent team :) Shez is clearly :censored: :petesake::lol:

It must be the festive season with all this deep despair! How depressing life is and how doomed we are...

All of which is, as ever on this god-forsaken site, a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous.

Against Leeds we competed hard enough, thought :censored: played really well, Colbeck had his best game for us and looked a threat and I thought Black had a decent game. Keen to get forward and I'd like to see him get a bit of a run in the team.

Our problem is obviously that we are short of a cutting edge, and without Abbott and Taylor we look in deep trouble. But the team hasn't changed since we were winning a couple on the bounce and surging up to seventh in the table and yet all of a sudden we are supposedly dead in the water? Over-reaction people...

Midfield needs to do more, but then don't forget that about ten minutes in the ball was flashing past the post off the head of Furman when he should have scored. A team can do well by having functional midfielders who cycle it out to wingers who do the damage, but we need to get our best players back fit.

Not saying that all is well in the garden, but there are very definitely worse teams than us in this league and there is not a player in this team as poor as Hotte, Garnett, Jones, Thom - the list could go on.

Fans are just exaggerating because the disappointment of the Failsworth wranglings hangs over us like a dark cloud.

I like Stitch, but he's not a good manager. We've been there.

The only person I'd bring in to replace Penney to Keith Hill and his assistant from Rochdale. But that won't happen.

I too was a big fan of Parker, it's unbelievable that this was the guy who tore us a new arsehole a couple of seasons back. But not just us, he did it to a lot of teams in our division and was a big part in getting Blackpool up, his pace and skill caught the eye of Championship teams. I'd still like to see him given a run in the side acting as a winger.

I'd love to snaffle Keith Hill from Rochdale as Latics manager but I think that ship has sailed. If we'd have gone all-out to get him, it could have been him rather than Penney.

But it all goes back to the point that TTA's motivation for being here is no longer the good of the club.

We can't afford to sack cheap-option Penney, nor should we even if we could afford to.

Fans are just exaggerating because the disappointment of the Failsworth wranglings hangs over us like a dark cloud.

I have been thinking this for some while - and it works in reverse as well. If we'd won the last three games we wpiuldn't have half the angst we have had over some nothing statement Corney may or may not have made in a certain context or another etc.

Yep, the ending was pretty much the same, whoever took charge for those last few games.

None of us have a crystal ball but I was not confident of it ending well...

BUT

Sacking your manager with 9 games to go with the hope we could "save" the season was the most stupid, short sighted action I have ever seen from this club. It was the wrong move, I said it at the time, and it has been proven.

Now we are 19th and looking downwards. Waiting and seeing would of cost us nothing.