Today's Game

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Just wanted to say that the few of your fans who made the trip down to Norfolk today were fantastic. Some excellent chants and never stopped singing.

My view on the game was that we never really got out of first gear, but we didn't need to as you were never going to score. You knocked the ball about well but lacked that final touch, with a striker I don't see why you couldn't stay up. We've seen worse teams at Carrow Road this season.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope you guys stay up.

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Just wanted to say that the few of your fans who made the trip down to Norfolk today were fantastic. Some excellent chants and never stopped singing.

My view on the game was that we never really got out of first gear, but we didn't need to as you were never going to score. You knocked the ball about well but lacked that final touch, with a striker I don't see why you couldn't stay up. We've seen worse teams at Carrow Road this season.

Nice to hear some positive Feedback .. Cheers

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Thanks for that - sums most of the club/team up pretty well at the mo - great fans away, as always - team play some decent football, but toothless going forward - with too many first teamers injured at the moment, that stat is not going to improve too quickly either

Hi, Norwich fan here.

I appreciate the sentiment.

However, statements like "with a striker I dont see why you couldnt stay up" is pretty sickening. It may be true, but to be looked on as a team that others think "might" stay up indicates the mire we find ourselves in.

Bloody horrible. I still cant mentally picture ourselves as relegation fodder, I really hope messages such as this are distant memories come April, when we are firmy established in midtable mediocrity.

Heres hoping. <_<

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Positive feedback.... What like.... " You were never going to score "

Pretty football counts for nothing.......goals win football matches!!!!

All positive comments Highlighted in BOLD

its nice to hear them once in a while

I was one of those there today, and agree with most of what you say SUTTS. We did knock it about reasonably at times, unfortunately it was along the back four and occasionally midfield whilst the norwich team looked on. We were reasonably solid at the back but there was a complete lack of options up front. Without Taylor and Abbott we had no trickery or pace to create something from out wide, though Colbeck tried in vain, and nothing to aim for centrally as Smalley is not a striker and Heffernan was pretty anonymous. I do think, however, that we aren't as awful as recent results would have us seem and when we get the likes of Taylor and Abbott back we should have the firepower to send us into mid-table mediocrity.

As for the fans today, brilliant. It was one of the best games i've been to in terms of just having a great laugh. Celebrating the corner we won in the second half was a particular highlight!

I was one of those there today, and agree with most of what you say SUTTS. We did knock it about reasonably at times, unfortunately it was along the back four and occasionally midfield whilst the norwich team looked on. We were reasonably solid at the back but there was a complete lack of options up front. Without Taylor and Abbott we had no trickery or pace to create something from out wide, though Colbeck tried in vain, and nothing to aim for centrally as Smalley is not a striker and Heffernan was pretty anonymous. I do think, however, that we aren't as awful as recent results would have us seem and when we get the likes of Taylor and Abbott back we should have the firepower to send us into mid-table mediocrity.

As for the fans today, brilliant. It was one of the best games i've been to in terms of just having a great laugh. Celebrating the corner we won in the second half was a particular highlight!

Fantastic....despite a defeat, a sensible read from someone there - not so sure it will pull many nooses from the necks of some of the "we're doomed' glum feckers on here though!

Let's get everyone fit and see how we go on.........cheers for the report Chris.

Ratings:

Flahavan 7 - let 2 in but had no chance with them and made a few good saves to keep it down. Solid as usual

Lomax 5 - got caught out for their 1st at the back stick and looked shaky generally

Gregan 8 - Superb rock again, tried his heart out as he does every week

Jacobson 6 - to say he was a makeshift CB he did ok, pretty solid

Black 6 - tried to get forward, not bad on the ball, looked promising

Smalley 4 - dont know what has happened to this guy, simply no effort today

Furman 5 - poor from Dean again, no creative spark

Stephens 6 - tried hard, some good touches and tried to get it down and play. Definately worth a longer run in the team in the place of a certain....

Whitaker 3 - truly shocking. Set pieces woeful, no passion/running after men or putting challenges in, simply watches the ball and gets nowhere f*ucking near it. League 2 filth, send him back there NOW DP!!

Colbeck 7 - was the only one to actively RUN at their defence, tried his heart out but unfortunately had no one else up there to give an end product to or to support him.

Heffernan 5 - not in the game, but not suprising given the zero service. Went off at 50mins, could have been tactical or injured not sure.

subs: Parker 6 - hassled and chased, should have put away his 1 on 1 but as is the way currently, hit it at the keeper. ON TARGET at least!

Brooke 6 - put himself about, had a half chance with a header towards the end but not enough time to really have an impact.

Fans - great travelling support, around the 400 mark which given the current plight is a great turnout.

Overall, poor display, played football but in our own half for the most part barring the last 15mins or so. No real driving force when attacking apart from Colbeck who was the only player to look interested in attacking. 2 shots on target, 1 off says it all.

We sat back for the first 20mins and let them come at us - midfield literally ran AWAY from their players, even their CB could run 30 yards without being challenged. No effort to close down or get in their faces, Gregan excepted as usual. Colbeck tried hard, as previously said.

Smalley not interested, stephens did ok, the rest were all absent and a special mention to mr whitaker - truly AWFUL - No passion/heart/committment, happy to coast along at all times - A DISGRACE TO THE CLUB.

NEED a win on sat, get a few players back and get on a run over the next few games which are all potentially winnable games. I know with all our key players available, fit and playing consistently together over a few games we would be ok, if we were playing this bad with our key players in the team the yes i would be worried.

We will be ok. DP needs a break re injuries and to get rid of the dross in the summer - whitaker, lomax et al.

KTF

Edited by shefflatic

I agree with your comments about Whitaker, whilst i possibly wouldn't go as far as to say he's a disgrace he was appalling today and i thought he was equally bad against Leeds, certainly needs a spell on the bench in place of someone who can put a free kick in/play a forward pass.

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Can't believe you've seen worse, like you said you never got out of first gear and we did flip all. Sing up the south stand by any chance?

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Thanks for that - we did our best to enjoy the day in spite of our team not being competitive.

The closure of the Compleat Angler (for refurbishment?) turned out to be a blessing, as we had a good time in Chalk Hill Brewery's Coach & Horses - a cracking pub.

may I also say a thanks for the fans today who created a positive atmosphere, in recent games I've had to put with people whining and whining about the product on the pitch which we all admit is crap but it gets me even more depressed, today I didn't care as I felt I was doing my bit and those who were making the effort deserve much better

Ratings:

Flahavan 7 - let 2 in but had no chance with them and made a few good saves to keep it down. Solid as usual

Lomax 5 - got caught out for their 1st at the back stick and looked shaky generally

Gregan 8 - Superb rock again, tried his heart out as he does every week

Jacobson 6 - to say he was a makeshift CB he did ok, pretty solid

Black 6 - tried to get forward, not bad on the ball, looked promising

Smalley 4 - dont know what has happened to this guy, simply no effort today

Furman 5 - poor from Dean again, no creative spark

Stephens 6 - tried hard, some good touches and tried to get it down and play. Definately worth a longer run in the team in the place of a certain....

Whitaker 3 - truly shocking. Set pieces woeful, no passion/running after men or putting challenges in, simply watches the ball and gets nowhere f*ucking near it. League 2 filth, send him back there NOW DP!!

Colbeck 7 - was the only one to actively RUN at their defence, tried his heart out but unfortunately had no one else up there to give an end product to or to support him.

Heffernan 5 - not in the game, but not suprising given the zero service. Went off at 50mins, could have been tactical or injured not sure.

subs: Parker 6 - hassled and chased, should have put away his 1 on 1 but as is the way currently, hit it at the keeper. ON TARGET at least!

Brooke 6 - put himself about, had a half chance with a header towards the end but not enough time to really have an impact.

Fans - great travelling support, around the 400 mark which given the current plight is a great turnout.

Overall, poor display, played football but in our own half for the most part barring the last 15mins or so. No real driving force when attacking apart from Colbeck who was the only player to look interested in attacking. 2 shots on target, 1 off says it all.

We sat back for the first 20mins and let them come at us - midfield literally ran AWAY from their players, even their CB could run 30 yards without being challenged. No effort to close down or get in their faces, Gregan excepted as usual. Colbeck tried hard, as previously said.

Smalley not interested, stephens did ok, the rest were all absent and a special mention to mr whitaker - truly AWFUL - No passion/heart/committment, happy to coast along at all times - A DISGRACE TO THE CLUB.

NEED a win on sat, get a few players back and get on a run over the next few games which are all potentially winnable games. I know with all our key players available, fit and playing consistently together over a few games we would be ok, if we were playing this bad with our key players in the team the yes i would be worried.

We will be ok. DP needs a break re injuries and to get rid of the dross in the summer - whitaker, lomax et al.

KTF

without trying to start another arguement i have to disagree. most if not all his saves were comfortable and didnt realy trouble him in anyway niether would they any goalie. first goal again should have been cut out. two steps forward and it would have bounced off his head. looked dodgy on crosses in genral notably the one tht got headed straight up in the air and then came out flapping for and punched it about 2 yards further away from goal. agree with all other assesments though. greegs outstanding again stephens looked good some good passes and quick feet jacobson loked alright centre back. think heffernan was unlucky seemed to be limping after bout 30-35 mins if he had played second half when we started to get chances he might have done alright

Can't believe you've seen worse, like you said you never got out of first gear and we did flip all. Sing up the south stand by any chance?

Aye that's me.

The one scary thing for you Latics fans is watching you yesterday was just like watching us last season and we all know how that ended up. Just don't appoint your head scout as manager for the second half of the season!

may I also say a thanks for the fans today who created a positive atmosphere, in recent games I've had to put with people whining and whining about the product on the pitch which we all admit is crap but it gets me even more depressed, today I didn't care as I felt I was doing my bit and those who were making the effort deserve much better

Cheers! Thanks must also go to everyone who helped with blowing up the balloons. :applause1:

There was many a good tune played on the air guitar. It was a pity the flags could not be displayed. Hopefully, before the end of the season we'll score a goal and we can use the party poppers. :lol:

Hi, Norwich fan here.

Your being generous.

We have a centre midfielder in Dean Furman who was supposed to be so good that we would be selling him on with a massive profit and was going to be our creative spark this season. What a load of :censored:e that has turned out to be. We have another midfielder who lets the game pass him by (Whit). We have players who are uninterested (Smalley, Parker). Things are looking bleak for our club.

Finally, we have a manager who goes to teams like Norwich and Charlton and plays the most negative tactics I have seen. Oh for the days when we went to big clubs and tried to win the game, more often than not doing so too!

One must have felt sorry for Heff yesterday. On his own up top, long balls punted into the air to him. I have been to all but one (Southend away) of our matches this season, and we seem to be getting worse. As soon as Holt scored, we knew it was game over. This lot are worse than the days of Hotte, Tipton, Allott (as striker), Dudley et al. At least then we tried to attack teams.

Cheers! Thanks must also go to everyone who helped with blowing up the balloons. :applause1:

There was many a good tune played on the air guitar. It was a pity the flags could not be displayed. Hopefully, before the end of the season we'll score a goal and we can use the party poppers. :lol:

Your welcome DS. I was the guy behind you, boring you all match.

Hi, Norwich fan here.

This post says everything about the current state of our club........

"we never really got out of first gear, but we didn't need to as you were never going to score".........What a compliment that is!!!!!!!!

"with a striker I don't see why you couldn't stay up" .......That's comforting to know as we took him (Heffernan) off just after half time!!!

"Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope you guys stay up." ......That's not what we want to be hearing at this stage of the season!!!

Going to Norwich would be a hard game even with our 1st choice eleven but we should at least have a go, with Penney it just seems like damage limitation and fans travelling over 200 miles deserve much better.

It's no use playing all your football on the edge of your own penalty area you are just inviting trouble, and as soon as teams realise we are no threat it's game over!!!

Yes, we've a few players out injured but so have other clubs.

We've relied on Chris Taylor so much over the last couple of years that when he's not playing we haven't a bloody clue what to do!!

We just can't keep possesion for more than 3 passes and it's not bloody good enough!!!

In Smalley and Parker we have two quick lads who shoud be scaring the hell out of half the teams in this league but they are so ineffective it's a flamin joke, Smalleys gone backwards and Parker just can't be arsed!!!

I would get shut of them both in the window, but in reality who would be interested!!

When Taylor and Abbott return we should be OK and will probably finish above the relegation places...JUST!!

We definitely need to give Penney more time and I reckon he will still be here next season no matter what happens, however, I'm far from impressed with him so far and both his dealings in the January window and the performances of his team need to improve dramatically or we'll be in for a long hard winter.

We've lost a lot of the BP faithful this season and unless we start to play a more entertaining style and score a few more goals I feel we will lose even more...........................

Over to you Dave Penney..............Get it sorted, and quickly!!!!!!!

You're not the only ones who came and tried to play for a 0-0. It;s only been about Colchester, Charlton and Bristol Rovers who haven't. The only team to play for a 0-0 and succed was Walsall, but I'm pretty sure they played an 4-6-0 formation.

You're not the only ones who came and tried to play for a 0-0. It;s only been about Colchester, Charlton and Bristol Rovers who haven't. The only team to play for a 0-0 and succed was Walsall, but I'm pretty sure they played an 4-6-0 formation.

i wouldn't say we played for a nil-nil..more of a damage limitation procedure!

we were never going to keep a clean sheet, and unlikely to score..its not looked like that for the last few games, barring colchester at home(when we suddenly found a new lease of life after they got a player sent off.)

its become a depressing situation,but in the face of despondency,you've gotta laugh!

It's a measure of where we are at the moment that we can judge a 2-0 defeat as a 'positive' result, on the basis that we were fearing a 4 or 5-0 thumping.

That's the problem mate, we're never gonna lose 4 or 5 nil with DP in charge, as teams that lose 4 or 5 nil tend to get caught attcking every now and then. Those that sit with 11 men behind the ball lose 1 or 2 nil every week.

It was :censored: under Sharp and yhet we often only lost by the odd goal but that was enough. When we narrowly stayed up in 95/96 we didn't concede more than 2 goals in any league game all season yet still struggled. It was :censored:e under Warnock but we scored goals. It was laughable under Talbot but occasionally we put in performances of the ilk of the win at Bradford and we managed to beat City in the Cup. This lot are the worst I've seen in 24 seasons and boy have I seen some :censored:e in that time. I was all for Penney, but his tactics are destroying what passion I have left for the club. Anything less than 7 points from the next three and he has to go. Injuries are no excuse...