• Sir David Eyres
    • John 'Thanks for that Penalty' Sheridan
    • Somone else...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan

Agreed - In terms of quality he was head and shoulders above. Murray and Eyres come close in personal favourite - I cant believe people are suggesting Garnett and Duxbury... Tried hard in a poor team but in terms of player of the decade ,nah

Edited by longtimeblue

I think Shez was Oldham athletic man of the decade, player and gave us some great games a manager - even if it ended sour.

This is definitely true!

Even though it did turn sour, it would be good to honour him somehow and show that there is no hard feelings.

Got to say CT - if he's still here by choice, he needs his head read. Our most exciting player since Rick Holden.

Unfortunately that Fat Lad playing on ITV4 at the moment probably isn't a million miles away.

Other than that, Murray, Armstrong, Ernie and Fiz Hall, were my favourite.

Think people should put down their top 10's

1. David Eyres

2. John Sheridan

3. Les Pogliacomi

4. Chris Taylor

5. Paul Murray

6. Lee Duxbury

7. Richie Wellens

8. Fitz Hall

9. Sean Gregan

10. Will Haining

I have based it on 3 main factors Talent Commitment and Longevity It has to be David Eyres because he played from 2000-2006 Sheridan played until 2004 but was in reality finished by 2002 and just played on 1 leg for that season just because of desire. Its possibly the saddest part of the last year seeing how it ended for him here because of how much he gave to the club in a 10 plus year period. Ive included two players Hall and Wellens commanding regular first team football at championship level now but were not here long enough to challenge the top 2.

We have 2 of the current crop in there Chris Taylor and Sean Gregan and thank god we brough him back the only player giving a dam currently I don't think he deserves this team at present. I have included Paul Murray high up in this list, people talk about ernies spirit this guy had the same kind of desire he just had the talent to go with it shame he never went onto better things like Wellens and Hall. A player who gets in at the bottom is Will Haining who hasn't had a mention yet who shouldn't be regaurded in the same breath as the top 2 but if we are mentioning the likes of Gary Kelly and Shaun Garnett who were gone by 2002 then this guy should get a mention as he played from 2002-2007 and was always a regular first choice starter.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I want to nominate Neil Danns- he did more for Oldham in the past decade in terms of where we are now than a lot of other players mentioned.

In all seriousness though, one Oldham player who made a significant contribution over the decade who hasn't been mentioned is Will Haining, I'm beginning to wonder if DP doesn't regret not spending some money on his wage over the summer.

Not sure why it's been set as just Shez and Eyresy. I knew it would be one of those that would prevail when I first posted the topic but like I said, it would have been good to compile a longer list so people could choose.

Would have been interesting that's all...if we only wanted to know the number one then I could have done that at the start!

Are we forgetting Wayne Andrews?

:grin:

Seriously though, it absolutely, positively HAS to be Eyresy.

Not only my favourite Latics player, but my favourite footballer of all time. Made my first few years watching Latics a complete joy, even when others in the team were decidedly average.

Every kit I will ever buy will have '28' on it, in his honour.

Sheridan is a second place for me, then Wellens third. Third only because it was one in the eye for all my Blackpool supporting friends. Not as good at Whitaker, mind. :wink: