Lee Hughes

What an honestly pathetic post. Not many things rile me on this board any more, but that just did. I'm sure Barry spent a lot of time with Lee and I think its good that Hughesy still obviously gives a crap enough to call him and let him know how he is getting on - i'm sure he very much gives a fck as you so eloquently put.. If in addition Hughesy has some good words to say about our fans then fine, we dont deserve it.

Now, I know how much of a muppet hughes could be as the rest of you - trust me I do - but this type of response? Sorry, pointless and not needed. There are other things that have done far more damage to the club over th last few years than Lee Hughes.

In the past? I'd love to see what you would write about if the past was banned! Good or not! It would be a pretty negative dicussion anyway.

Anyway... off i toddle again...

:popcorn1:

I could write about anything smartarse!

Just my opinion, signing Hughes was a PR disater, as were his well documented antics off the pitch that many on here know about and I'm not talking about the dogs incident. Hughes is a scumbag, goalscorer or not I and many others are glad he's no longer here. Why the :censored: Barry sees fit to post this bollocks when there's far more pressing issues he could be commenting on that peole actually give a :censored: about.

What next, we catch up for a chat with Chris Porter? Chris Makin? Kevin Moore perhaps? Oh and the club wanted rid of Hughes from the the end of November last year - no matter what Bazza says, if he could have been offloaded in January he would have been sold - only person who stopped that was Hughes himself, looking after number one.

Marlon King next?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could write about anything smartarse!

Just my opinion, signing Hughes was a PR disater, as were his well documented antics off the pitch that many on here know about and I'm not talking about the dogs incident. Hughes is a scumbag, goalscorer or not I and many others are glad he's no longer here. Why the :censored: Barry sees fit to post this bollocks when there's far more pressing issues he could be commenting on that peole actually give a :censored: about.

What next, we catch up for a chat with Chris Porter? Chris Makin? Kevin Moore perhaps? Oh and the club wanted rid of Hughes from the the end of November last year - no matter what Bazza says, if he could have been offloaded in January he would have been sold - only person who stopped that was Hughes himself, looking after number one.

Marlon King next?

what is your problem??? only a ex player asking how people are, if you dont like the guy that much why even bother posting???

Marlon King next?

Barry and Hughesy clearly still have a personal friendship, if he were to speak to Paul Warne etc and he passed on his Xmas regards to the fans then there wouldn't be a problem would there?

Oh, and if King serves his time and is affordable, then there's no reason not to sign him.

I tell you what, I'd rather have a disruptive influence in the dressing room of a team that's pushing for the playoffs than for everything to be nice and sweet in the camaraderie of a team with no cutting edge fighting relegation.

then there's no reason not to sign him

Besides the whole morality of offering a highly paid job where kids will look up to you to be a role model... Not much...

I backed the club in signing Hughes on the grounds that ex-cons should be able to get on with there lives... Did I appreciate being asked to have an opinion on such things...no Was I happy with our family club doing such a thing... No... Was I happy are club scraped the bottom of the barrel no... Was it a PR disaster yes...

Was I happy with the alleged behaviour others have suggested in the past... No...

I think if prozac has a issue with Hughes then he has as every right to air them...

I backed the club in signing Hughes on the grounds that ex-cons should be able to get on with there lives... Did I appreciate being asked to have an opinion on such things...no Was I happy with our family club doing such a thing... No... Was I happy are club scraped the bottom of the barrel no... Was it a PR disaster yes...

Was I happy with the alleged behaviour others have suggested in the past... No...

Was it a good footballing decision? An unequivocal yes.

Couldn't care less about a PR disaster, Hughesy gave us a very good shot at promotion last year and had it not been for his cheap goals I'd have said that team would have found itself in a similar or worse position than this one has.

If Marlon King serves his time and can be fit into the wage structure likes Hughesy, then get him in.

Would much rather be a hated club in the Championship than an ignored one in League One.

Couldn't care less about a PR disaster

Would much rather be a hated club in the Championship than an ignored one in League One.

Then some of the finer things that make me a Latics fan are slowly dying. I always want this club to be a decent family club. That is its foundation and without it we are nothing.

I don't like your and other proposed future to be frank... Sounds a lot like Millwall...

Edited by oafc0000

Then some of the finer things that make me a Latics fan are slowly dying. I always want this club to be a decent family club. That is its foundation and without it we are nothing.

I don't like your and other proposed future to be frank... Sounds a lot like Millwall...

That's fair enough, I respect your feelings as they can't be faulted.

However, for a long time I have wondered if the whole 'family club' image is right for us. Our current standing suggests it may not be. Oldham is about as rough a town as there is and consequently has as bigger proportion of young male idiots as anywhere.

I don't think 'family club' appeals to the typical Oldham version of the demographic that is usually attracted to football matches, i.e young males. I suspect if we were reknowned as a rowdy bunch of wankers, the Millwall of Manchester, we could get bigger crowds.

Was it a good footballing decision? An unequivocal yes.

I wouldn't say it was unequivocally yes, because the way he behaved ended up having a negative influence on the team at an important time. But, he was a very good player and that can't be denied (I just can't stand the guy).

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Depends though doesn't it on what being a 'family club' is.

I'm a long way off having children (well I hope so anyway :wink:), but as well as teaching my future kids that it's wrong to hit women (or anyone for that matter), I would also hope they would grow up with the belief that, if someone serves their punishment and is repentent for their transgressions, then they deserve a second chance. If Marlon King serves his time, then what better way to show young children (and some adults for that matter) that people deserve a second chance than watching somebody taking it week in week out. I should of course clarify that if King weren't to show any sort of remorse then my opinion on the matter would in all likelihood change. Hughesy certainly appeared remorseful for what he had done.

I'm not going to pretend that I know you, 0000...I don't. And I could be misinterpreting your argument, so if I am then I apologise. All I know of you from on here is that you are a Christian, and soon to be a father. I would therefore assume that you would want your future children to hold those values mentioned above.

I don't think 'family club' appeals to the typical Oldham version of the demographic that is usually attracted to football matches, i.e young males. I suspect if we were reknowned as a rowdy bunch of wankers, the Millwall of Manchester, we could get bigger crowds.

Well, that's one possible route for the marketing guy...:wink::unsure:

Look if some fans still like Hughes then good for Barry on keeping us updated. I met him a fair few times seemed an ok guy just not the brightest bulb in the box.

First time I met him he was handing out an award that was dedicated to a young man killed by a drink driver, alongside the dead lads mum. If he was a complete scumbag he wouldn't be doing that.

I am guessing a few of our players are clowns when they have had a beer, Hughesy lived in Saddleworth so it ended up on here more often than not.

As for it being in the past shall we stop people talking about Cooksey, not sure he'll play again. Seems to be a thread on here about so old duffer called Eyres as well, mods do your thing......

His performance at Everton alone made the move a massive success in footballing terms IMO.

Never really had a strong opinion of him either way while he was at the club. Took him a bit to get going, naturally, and once he was in his groove there wasn't many as good as him at this level. But as others have said, lots of baggage and a few disturbing rumours flying round. I think him leaving was always going to be on the cards.

I'd rather have Heffernan though.

Look if some fans still like Hughes then good for Barry on keeping us updated. I met him a fair few times seemed an ok guy just not the brightest bulb in the box.

Me too. I met him before he even played for us and a few times afterwards with him both on club duty and not. From my own personal experience alone I hold him in decent regard.

Depends though doesn't it on what being a 'family club' is.

I'm a long way off having children (well I hope so anyway :wink:), but as well as teaching my future kids that it's wrong to hit women (or anyone for that matter), I would also hope they would grow up with the belief that, if someone serves their punishment and is repentent for their transgressions, then they deserve a second chance. If Marlon King serves his time, then what better way to show young children (and some adults for that matter) that people deserve a second chance than watching somebody taking it week in week out. I should of course clarify that if King weren't to show any sort of remorse then my opinion on the matter would in all likelihood change. Hughesy certainly appeared remorseful for what he had done.

I'm not going to pretend that I know you, 0000...I don't. And I could be misinterpreting your argument, so if I am then I apologise. All I know of you from on here is that you are a Christian, and soon to be a father. I would therefore assume that you would want your future children to hold those values mentioned above.

I think I explained in my first post that I defended the club giving him a second chance on certain grounds... Its the role model part that bugs me...

While we have a lot of young lads, and a lot of them post here... I think if you look a bit beyond that you will see a shed load of dads sat with sons...

That's fair enough, I respect your feelings as they can't be faulted.

However, for a long time I have wondered if the whole 'family club' image is right for us. Our current standing suggests it may not be. Oldham is about as rough a town as there is and consequently has as bigger proportion of young male idiots as anywhere.

I hear you...

Its a shame though... If it becomes Millwall I wont be bringing the kids...

Maybe the club should stand up as an example rather than give in like the rest of the town ?

What about a hated club in League One? And all this 'Marlon King deserves a second chance and we should sign him' bollocks you're spouting, I think you'll find he's had about ten chances already.