That was awful!

I have only been to 5 games this season due to the cost/travel implications and the obvious lack of effort being put in by the entire squad, we have gradually been going down hill for a few years now but i believe under Penney he is going to put the final nail in our coffin, there is no feel good factor about attending BP anymore where as everybody used to look forward to a Saturday it has now become a chore for many to attend(me included).

I now pay to watch Fleetwood Town a team who are top of the Conference North and have crowds of 1,000+ every week, the chairman is ambitious and the whole sqaud is turning proffesional at the end of the season, all of the town is excited and buzzing and it is a fair way off the feeling which i currently have for my once beloved Oldham :disappointed:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only been to 5 games this season due to the cost/travel implications and the obvious lack of effort being put in by the entire squad, we have gradually been going down hill for a few years now but i believe under Penney he is going to put the final nail in our coffin, there is no feel good factor about attending BP anymore where as everybody used to look forward to a Saturday it has now become a chore for many to attend(me included).

I now pay to watch Fleetwood Town a team who are top of the Conference North and have crowds of 1,000+ every week, the chairman is ambitious and the whole sqaud is turning proffesional at the end of the season, all of the town is excited and buzzing and it is a fair way off the feeling which i currently have for my once beloved Oldham :disappointed:

2n6w315.jpg

Rest in peace.

Over a post-game pint in the Range, after a bad performance; I tend to at least try to still find the positives; it’s what me & mate try to do, “you know even though we were pretty awful; at least <insert player name> had a good game” etc etc.

Last night, we genuinely struggled for positives.

That was a game between to awful sides, who between them produced a stagnant, turgid horrible game of football. As bad a game as I can honestly remember.

It has sadly come to this; being a season ticket holder is the ONLY reason I’m still going to attend home game. If I hadn’t paid upfront; there is absolutely no way I’d still be turning up and paying to see that dross. If performances continue in that vein, I honestly might not even bother; even though I’ve shelled out. I’m not entertained anymore, there is no atmosphere anymore, there’s no passion or pride anymore – it feels more like a duty or chore turning up now; not something that you are actually genuinely excited & motivated to do.

My Dad picks & chooses the games he comes to; with the 5 & a bit weeks layoff and it being the 1st game of 2010 he decided to come last night. £20+ spent that he said outright he would not be doing again this season – he gets to say 1 in every 4/5 home games these days; or should I say used to – that’s it for him; another one lost.

Its not just the 0-0 scoreline, it’s the manner of the performance. We set up last night for a draw. At home. Against Tranmere. Who are a worse team than us. Set up for a point, Unbelievable.

A CB at RB

A CM switched to RB

A Winger starting upfront

A powder-puff CM on the left; then the right.

A ST brought on the play on the left, then the right of midfield.

An out of sorts youngster playing in 4 different positions in the 90mins (no no effect in any I might add)

Baffling changes, baffling tactical decision & baffling selection decisions.

Penney is & will be the fall guy for many, and to be honest I can have no qualms with those fans. The often used phrase of ‘once the players cross the white line its down to them not the manager’ is tripe as far as I’m concerned. DP picks the team, set the tactics & modes of play & sends them out – his decisions – his responsibility – end of.

We have bog standard players coupled with a bog standard management team (I actually heard Colliett shout to JJ ‘Kick the ball Joe’ last night; beggars belief eh?) in a bog standard ground. We’ll be playing in a bog standard league 2 next year too……………….

Utterly, utterly disaffected with it all now; the pride & passion has gone from the club – and for the 1st time; it’s gone from me too now. As LaticNik says OAFCRIP.

Over & Out.

Likewise mate, what a complete waste of a night off.......

Err, anyone thought that maybe a team constructed around a crowd expectancy of about 6 men and their dogs is going to be crap? As for apathy, how many people on this site take vindictive pleasure in telling everyone how far we've fallen?

There is something wrong at Latics, and we need to sort them out but the fact is that the team we have to field isn't good enough - we never hated them when Ritchie had them so why now?

Thought Smalley actually fought hard yesterday (and I'm not his biggest fan), and Gregan was immense. The guy is fast becoming our sole light in these dark times - didn't want him back but he has proved me wrong in spades. You want positives; Taylor and Abbott are our only hopes in scoring goals and both are on the way back, although Taylor desperately needs games to gain form. Stephens looked okay and has an exceptional deadball delivery - I haven't seen as good for a long time. Thought Brill was steady and looked confident - maybe not a huge amount to do but did it with no fuss at all, which is a vast improvement. Thought Jacobsen stood up okay and looked to get forward.

They look hugely short on confidence, that guy who ended at RB is poor, the loan centre-half is naff, Reuben isn't good and Smalley struggles to influence the game at all. Parker looks a shadow of the player he was (and even then he couldn't finish). Those who bag Whitaker need to realise that he is the only player on that team who looks capable of scoring from outside of the area, and along with Stephens and Abbott is one of a very few who can pick a pass. Last night was awful but jettisoning all the ball-players is not the answer. Watching last night I am not surprised the morale is low - a 3-sided ground and 3,500 fans does not inspire performances.

Edited by De_La_Vega

Err, anyone thought that maybe a team constructed around a crowd expectancy of about 6 men and their dogs is going to be crap? As for apathy, how many morons on this site take vindictive pleasure in telling everyone how far we've fallen?

There is something wrong at Latics, and we need to sort them out but the fact is that the team we have to field isn't good enough - we never hated them when Ritchie had them so why now?

Thought Smalley actually fought hard yesterday (and I'm not his biggest fan), and Gregan was immense. The guy is fast becoming our sole light in these dark times - didn't want him back but he has proved me wrong in spades. You want positives; Taylor and Abbott are our only hopes in scoring goals and both are on the way back, although Taylor desperately needs games to gain form. Stephens looked okay and has an exceptional deadball delivery - I haven't seen as good for a long time. Thought Brill was steady and looked confident - maybe not a huge amount to do but did it with no fuss at all, which is a vast improvement. Thought Jacobsen stood up okay and looked to get forward.

They look hugely short on confidence, that guy who ended at RB is poor, the loan centre-half is naff, Reuben isn't good and Smalley struggles to influence the game at all. Parker looks a shadow of the player he was (and even then he couldn't finish). Those who bag Whitaker need to realise that he is the only player on that team who looks capable of scoring from outside of the area, and along with Stephens and Abbott is one of a very few who can pick a pass. Last night was awful but jettisoning all the ball-players is not the answer. Watching last night I am not surprised the morale is low - a 3-sided ground and 3,500 fans does not inspire performances.

Not done Rochdale or Bury any harm this season and Accy have had a good season too. Nowt to with the crowd last night - agree re: Stephens he's been a revelation since his promotion to the first team, Pav will improve - I hope Taylor will too, as for Smalley he needs to dropped he's been pisspoor since coming back in November, the lad doesn't want it enough and if I could swap him or ship him out I would do in favour of someone who looks like they give or even could give a :censored:!

In a couple of seasons Latics could be playing Fleetwood, in fact they might miss each other if Fleetwood rise to Div 1 in successive seasons and Latics drop into the Conference

I visited Fleetwood's ground last season and it was a really pleasant experience. I was impressed by the ambition, passionate management, team and fans.

I'm even considering moving to that area now as a Failsworth stadium would be the final blow for me.

Shall I look for a bungalow for you too Corp ? :wink:

Edited by BP1960

In a couple of seasons Latics could be playing Fleetwood, in fact they might miss each other if Fleetwood rise to Div 1 in successive seasons and Latics drop into the Conference

I visited Fleetwood's ground last season and it was a really pleasant experience. I was impressed by the ambition, passionate management, team and fans.

I'm even considering moving to that area now as a Failsworth stadium would be the final blow for me.

Shall I look for a bungalow for you too Corp ? :wink:

Im sorry Corp the old folks homes are full :wink:

Worse than us in the aspect that their play in the final third was woeful - a decent side would have beat us three or four nil given the positions they created then made a complete balls of.

As for Saturday, I'll see how I feel - not missed a home game yet this season and I had renewed optimism before last night's game. That had been obliterated by the 15th minute last night.

If you're reading this Penney, attack the opposition or just fook off! Simples!

Goodwin? WTF?

Timar? WTF?

Two more loans we didn't need when we have our own players warming the bench, we need another striker and to allow the midfield to push on - then we may see an improvement. when we have pushed on (Albeit behind against 10 men) we have looked very good and a threat so why the fook do set our stall out like the Italian side of the 70s?

To be fair, we had all been moaning for ages about our lack of central defensive cover.

To be fair, we had all been moaning for ages about our lack of central defensive cover.

yeah but :censored: and Jacobson can cover there and the fact that Goodwin and Timar started in front of :censored: last night disgusted me, he's the only lad willing to tackle!

yeah but :censored: and Jacobson can cover there and the fact that Goodwin and Timar started in front of :censored: last night disgusted me, he's the only lad willing to tackle!

Absolutely right. I actually think :censored: could make a high calibre centre-half in a few years time - much rather have him there than either of the above two. Goodwin only played one good ball all night and then Parker was stood offside...

It wasn't good, in fact drab is understated in this case. The players look completely shot of any confidence and flair. They are far too cautious with the ball at their feet, their off the ball movement last night was like a 1 legged pirate stuck in quicksand - pedestrian at best. Defensively, as the have most games i've seen this year, they look tight nit and are prepared to drop off and get behind the ball when we lose possession, but at what cost is that caution costing us? Not enough shots, support up top and attacking quality that's what.

However for all of that - those who continue to ironically cheer Brill every time he still catches the ball - or ball 'get off Parker, Whitaker, Smalley, Goodwin you're effin' crap etc every time they don't reach a crap ball, track back or give a wrong pass - do yoursleves a favour, make it a bit more selective.

Tough times ahead indeed and some tough calls are going to be made i'm sure - yes people are entitled to boo, moan and criticise - they pay their money.........but for 88 minutes constantly - why waste your money, go home and have a row with your neighbour, wife, boyfriend or dog.....the players probably really don't need it at the moment!

I now understand why i havent been for so long, i just wish i stayed in and watched the Villa game!

I am so sorry Beardy to inflict a freebie ticket on you to last nights game....yes even a freebie for Beardy and he nearly left close to tears and frost bite to boot.

So big man...you up for Milwall on Sat?.....unfortunatley, you would have to pay this time...

Can you cope????

:lol: