Simon Whalley

Former Preston and Norwich player Simon Whalley makes his debut for Latics' reserves in this afternoon's Manchester Senior Cup tie against Bury at Radcliffe Borough which kicks off at 2pm.

Whalley, a winger who can also play in central midfield, is a free agent having recently had his contract cancelled by Norwich City.

The 24-year-old has had loan spells at Rochdale and Bradford City this season having only joined the Canaries last summer from Preston.

oldham site have confimed it.

Edited by RoyleArmy

Quote from Mr Penney: '*cough* ahem - well actually he's a midfielder. You cannot have too many of those in my opinion'

Leaves room to usual looks of disbelief... :blink:

heard good and bad reports about him..on his day he is head and shoulders above most players in this league..flying winger but plays on confidence,head goes down easily and goes hiding....once things dont go his way.

lets face it smalleys doing diddly squat on the wing bags of pace but no end product,going backwards...so hopefully he do ok and give us a true threat down the flank,with a decent cross....just need an out and out striker in now.....come on dave get nardiello in,he isnt even on the bench at the lashers

Just had an email off my PNE supporting boss

"First of all its Whaley.

Second he was with us for at least 4 seasons and I never saw him play as a CM (god help you if he does). He can play up front.

Has one hell of a shot on him, is quick, skilful and at times over the four or five seasons he was with us had spells when he was unplayable. Can also cross a ball.

Problem is/was thinks he is better than he is, has HUGE confidence dips when you may as well play your granny. You can tell when he has dips as he stops running at people.

Very surprised he didn’t do well at Norwich as I think this is his level and I think he was made a scapegoat for the 7 1 defeat first game of the season."

Spent the best part of a season watching this lad at PNE. He's got pace, bit of a lightwieght though...he did however wear white boots quite alot, so he must be class.

On his day he is class, he will set up quite a few chances and is something we need. but he only had 1 good game out of every 5 and PNE fans became pissed off with him as he always bottled a challenge. PNE fans thought it was hilarious that Norwich came in for him after he had been on loan to Barnsley and not produced the goods for them.

This is a perfect chance for Whalley to re-boot his career and show that on his day he is as good as any championship winger, lets up he has the desire to succeed and the patience of playing in the same team as Whittaker.

QUOTE (razza699 @ Feb 10 2010, 12:41 PM)

Problem is/was thinks he is better than he is, has HUGE confidence dips

:unsure:

<Kiegan Parker> <cough>

To be fair though, having your contract cancelled might make you think a bit and hopefully motivate him somewhat.

Though he is afootballer, so you never know. Talk the talk or walk the walk?

I remember him being class at Bury. If he can still perform at that level then hopefully he will provide us with being able to use the wings as at the moment we have virtually no threat coming from that area with Taylor injured (or maybe not if you listen to some people), Smalley desperately out of form and Whittaker just not being good enough.

It was evident last night that the only service to the front 2 mainly came from hoof balls or from Stephens who can pick a good pass out, but most teams tend to realise he is the only one capable of that.