• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the out of contract players

Lee - Retain, his versatility is an assett

Whittaker - Release, put his wage towards a new striker

Lomax - Release

Parker - Release and seek a restraining order that prevents the lazt t**t coming within 100 miles of Boundary Park

Aljofree - If we are after cheap defensive cover, I would let him train with us over the summer, and assess the situation then

Brooke - Would offer another 12 months but I think Penney will release him

Lee - Keep. Versatile and starting to play well.

Whittaker - Keep, for another year. Creative and not afraid to shoot - didn't have the best start to the season, but has improved with the team.

Lomax - Keep. Can be reserve for both left and right back - why sign a reserve right back AND a reserve left-back, when he can rpovide cover for both positions? Don't get why everyone's got such a downer on him as I think he's quite a good player. Time we let the Hereford match go, I think....

Parker - Release, no more needs to be said.

Aljofree - Release. No real point in him being here, IMO.

Brooke - Not really bothered either way. If we can afford to keep him then great, but he's been overtaken by Eaves and Millar in the pecking order since he crashed onto the scene last season, so maybe he's better playing his trade elsewhere.

Players i'd release :

Parker .....Obviously

Colbeck.....Just not good enough

Smalley.....far too inconsistant and a big girl

lomax......Doesn't offer anything going forward and players like him are ten a penny

Brill......If the rumours of highest earner are true.....get rid

Undecided on :

Alessandra.....Has looked intelligent at times with his movement but needs to step up a notch now and his heart needs to be in it

Furman.....Been the biggest disappointment of the season for me....lots of hype but he needs to back it up and sort out his colour blindness!!

Worthington.....Again, is he any better than a run of the mill player?

Keeping Lomax? Absolute madness because he is patently not good enough.

Getting rid of Lee? A genuine footballer who has looked good at right back in recent weeks and has real life, genuine football ability - absolute shoe-in for retention.

Whitaker? Remains the only midfielder we have who offers us something a bit different. Why have half-a-dozen tacklers and no playmakers? Granted he is too lightweight to start but as a reserve or impact player then he is well worth it.

Re the highlighted words. Can you state for the record what you then consider Stephens to be?

And on a separate point, I wonder what the reaction would have been on here if Brill had been in goal yesterday and made the same foul up for the 2nd goal that Flav came up with :mmm:

Re the highlighted words. Can you state for the record what you then consider Stephens to be?

And on a separate point, I wonder what the reaction would have been on here if Brill had been in goal yesterday and made the same foul up for the 2nd goal that Flav came up with :mmm:

Thats a fair point harry, however I would not consider that mistake as schoolboyesque as some of the mistakes Brill has made. Having watched the goals again I think Flav was certainly to blame for the 2nd, but not the first.

Thats a fair point harry, however I would not consider that mistake as schoolboyesque as some of the mistakes Brill has made. Having watched the goals again I think Flav was certainly to blame for the 2nd, but not the first.

At the risk of sounding pro Brill it was nevertheless a schoolboy error. He came for the cross, didn't get it, in fact was nowhere near it and looked like a lame duck stuck in no mans land. With his vast experience it was a major misjudgement. However, having seen the goals on tv (I missed our and their first goals yesterday) Flav cannot be blamed for the first.

On Goalkeepers, I always considered Mildenhall to be more than reasonable at this level, but as good a strike as it was from Whitts for our 1st, Mildenhall really should have saved it.

I do like how most peoples reasoning for keeping Lee is his versatility, nothign to with him having more technical ability than the vast majority of our squad or being one of the few that actually understand the game, yeah just his versatility, he can plug holes. I've been saying since last season he should be given a proper chance because it was blatently obvious he had something.

Stephens is a decent young player, but he has a lot to learn and hasn't got the game-opening pass that Whitaker has on occasion produced. Besides which, I was referring more to :censored:, Worthington and Furman as our midfield bruisers...

Stephens is a decent young player, but he has a lot to learn and hasn't got the game-opening pass that Whitaker has on occasion produced. Besides which, I was referring more to :censored:, Worthington and Furman as our midfield bruisers...

Thats not what you said. In your own words

"Whitaker? Remains the only midfielder we have who offers us something a bit different. Why have half-a-dozen tacklers and no playmakers?"

If you thibk that Whits is the only midfielder who offers us something a bit different to :censored:, Worthington and Furman, then I think you must watch different games to me. Stephens is a class apart in our midfield, he is a more consistent performer than Whits who tends to produce 1 decent performance in about 10 appearances. Whilst I would accept your comment that Stephens still has a lot to learn, , I totally disagree with your statement that he hasn't got the game opening pass that Whittaker has on occasion produced.

As I said Whits does not have the consistency of performance that Stephens has produced since getting his break at Norwich and the game opening pass that you say Stephens doesn't possess was in full evidence as recently as Carlissle last Saturday, where his defence splitting pass to Smalley saw him carve through the home defence and Stephens even followed up to knock home our second. Or how about his contribution to Guy's goal against Gillingham which turned 1 point into 3. Or Stephens astute ball into Abbott for the opener against Brentford or his pass to Taylor whose shot hit the post and Abbott banged in the rebound for the 2nd in the same game. Or against Walsall, whose ball was it out to taylor to cross for Abbotts winner? Yep that would be Stephens.

We could go on, but the fact is that it is Stephens who has the game opening pass that the others in our midfield don't possess, Whits included.

Mind you with some of our fans, there'll be a poll next to suggest that Whits is a better player than Wellens. Oh hang on a minute :wink:

In my opinion we need to release Whitaker, no where near good enough for this level he is capable of a great goal like yesterday but only once every ten games or so the other 9 he is usually s***. Aljofree was only brought in for cover so I expect him gone unless he comes cheap and fills the same role. Parker is as good as gone. I would also get rid of Brill, Colbeck and 1 of Furman and Worthington if anyone is silly enough to take over their contracts. Brill isn't as bad as people make out but we can do better, Colbeck is just a poor player for a league 1 team to have. Furman and Worthington are ok but offer us pretty much the same thing - effort but a lack of quality. I'd also get rid of Allesandra. He's a good player but he just hasn't Progressed as we thought he might do not sure on his contact situation though.

I would definitly retain Lee was not a fan of his but his last 15 games or so he has been class. Flahavan if he is within budget. a very good keeper for this level.

I would love to keep :censored: next year but i don't think that will happen. Guy has done well since coming in so I'd be happy with him staying.

In my opinion we need to release Whitaker, no where near good enough for this level he is capable of a great goal like yesterday but only once every ten games or so the other 9 he is usually s***. Aljofree was only brought in for cover so I expect him gone unless he comes cheap and fills the same role. Parker is as good as gone. I would also get rid of Brill, Colbeck and 1 of Furman and Worthington if anyone is silly enough to take over their contracts. Brill isn't as bad as people make out but we can do better, Colbeck is just a poor player for a league 1 team to have. Furman and Worthington are ok but offer us pretty much the same thing - effort but a lack of quality. I'd also get rid of Allesandra. He's a good player but he just hasn't Progressed as we thought he might do not sure on his contact situation though.

I would definitly retain Lee was not a fan of his but his last 15 games or so he has been class. Flahavan if he is within budget. a very good keeper for this level.

I would love to keep :censored: next year but i don't think that will happen. Guy has done well since coming in so I'd be happy with him staying.

+1 Agree with every word

Thats not what you said. In your own words

"Whitaker? Remains the only midfielder we have who offers us something a bit different. Why have half-a-dozen tacklers and no playmakers?"

If you thibk that Whits is the only midfielder who offers us something a bit different to :censored:, Worthington and Furman, then I think you must watch different games to me. Stephens is a class apart in our midfield, he is a more consistent performer than Whits who tends to produce 1 decent performance in about 10 appearances. Whilst I would accept your comment that Stephens still has a lot to learn, , I totally disagree with your statement that he hasn't got the game opening pass that Whittaker has on occasion produced.

As I said Whits does not have the consistency of performance that Stephens has produced since getting his break at Norwich and the game opening pass that you say Stephens doesn't possess was in full evidence as recently as Carlissle last Saturday, where his defence splitting pass to Smalley saw him carve through the home defence and Stephens even followed up to knock home our second. Or how about his contribution to Guy's goal against Gillingham which turned 1 point into 3. Or Stephens astute ball into Abbott for the opener against Brentford or his pass to Taylor whose shot hit the post and Abbott banged in the rebound for the 2nd in the same game. Or against Walsall, whose ball was it out to taylor to cross for Abbotts winner? Yep that would be Stephens.

We could go on, but the fact is that it is Stephens who has the game opening pass that the others in our midfield don't possess, Whits included.

Mind you with some of our fans, there'll be a poll next to suggest that Whits is a better player than Wellens. Oh hang on a minute :wink:

Got to disagree - our best performances up until the emergence of Stephens have been orchestrated by Whitaker, who remains (despite stats this year) in my opinion a more potent goal threat than Stephens and a player with a better eye for a pass. Not that Stephens won't overtake him, but there you go.

Besides which, you are missing the point. I take it as a given that Stephens starts next year and I didn't mention him in my original list because I was intending the point to be that if the game boils down to us needing goals late on, who else are we going to introduce to get them? If Stephens has started plus one, then we need something else. Now apologies if Stephens is related to you, but if you want to climb down off the high horse that sees you putting totally unrealistic expectations on a lad that remains within his first 20 or so games for us it'd be appreciated...

Got to disagree - our best performances up until the emergence of Stephens have been orchestrated by Whitaker, who remains (despite stats this year) in my opinion a more potent goal threat than Stephens and a player with a better eye for a pass. Not that Stephens won't overtake him, but there you go.

Besides which, you are missing the point. I take it as a given that Stephens starts next year and I didn't mention him in my original list because I was intending the point to be that if the game boils down to us needing goals late on, who else are we going to introduce to get them? If Stephens has started plus one, then we need something else. Now apologies if Stephens is related to you, but if you want to climb down off the high horse that sees you putting totally unrealistic expectations on a lad that remains within his first 20 or so games for us it'd be appreciated...

I'd say keep Whitaker because on his day he looks like one of our best players. Admittedly he hasn't had too many "days" of late but isn't that partly down to the way the midfield has been set up, stretched too wide on many occasions earlier in the season giving him little time to play the creative way he does best?

Certainly not our best player of the season by any stretch of imagination, but get rid??? Nah...

I'd say keep Whitaker because on his day he looks like one of our best players. Admittedly he hasn't had too many "days" of late but isn't that partly down to the way the midfield has been set up, stretched too wide on many occasions earlier in the season giving him little time to play the creative way he does best?

Certainly not our best player of the season by any stretch of imagination, but get rid??? Nah...

I think that the Whittaker stay or go will be a marker for what the club / management team are looking to achieve player-wise for 2010-2011.

If he’s offered a new deal, then TBH its sets the standard for the types of player (& wage levels) for the other signings…….

If he’s not offered fresh terms – it could be seen that they (the club / management) are of a view that there are better players out there / monies could be spent better on a different player

IMO Whitts is somewhat of a luxury player for a L1 side. The ‘defence splitting’ pass that is being talked about as his major ‘pro’ for me is far outweighed by his cons – his going missing / his complete inability to actually challenge for a ball; either on the pitch or aerially et all. For me, he wouldn’t get in any of the top half sides as a regular starter – and if that if the realistic aim for where we want to get to; then Whitts should be released and a higher calibre of player brought in.

I happen to think though that he will be offered a fresh deal; as financially he fits the bill for what we can afford and where the owners see us reaching……….

Holdsworth at RB and Lee at RM would make one of the best right flanks in the division if you ask me....baring in mind that we're likely to keep Smalley and Millar, there's little point keeping Lomax as, with Black and Jacobson available at LB, I can't see him being anywhere near the team. Cheap or not, there's no point keeping him.

Holdsworth at RB and Lee at RM would make one of the best right flanks in the division if you ask me....baring in mind that we're likely to keep Smalley and Millar, there's little point keeping Lomax as, with Black and Jacobson available at LB, I can't see him being anywhere near the team. Cheap or not, there's no point keeping him.

Hmm Lee at RM one of the best flanks in the division? cant agree there :blush:

Besides which, you are missing the point. I take it as a given that Stephens starts next year and I didn't mention him in my original list because I was intending the point to be that if the game boils down to us needing goals late on, who else are we going to introduce to get them?If Stephens has started plus one, then we need something else. Now apologies if Stephens is related to you, but if you want to climb down off the high horse that sees you putting totally unrealistic expectations on a lad that remains within his first 20 or so games for us it'd be appreciated...

First lets clear up 1 thing. Stephens is in not related to me. So feel free to make any point you want about him. At the end of the day he is also not the be all and end all of this team.

Your and my opinions are only that. Opinions. Who is to say who's right.

However, at the risk of repeating a quote, I took you up in this thread simply because of the following quote you originally made

which is contrary to what you are saying in the highlighted passage above. If you are now saying that what you originally said was not what you meant or that you had forgotten about Stephens then fair enough, but Stephens is clearly a playmaker.

I do agree with you that he is still relatively inexperienced, but that does not stop a player having a big impact on the team, just as Chris Taylor did when he first emerged. I don't think either that my expectations of Stephens are unrealistic, as since he got into the team, he has held his place purely on merit. However, I always look for what I call 2nd season syndrome and will be interested to see if Stephens is affected by this next term.

As for the comment about high horse. Please. I feel more like I'm flogging a :dedhrse: at times on here.

First lets clear up 1 thing. Stephens is in not related to me. So feel free to make any point you want about him. At the end of the day he is also not the be all and end all of this team.

Your and my opinions are only that. Opinions. Who is to say who's right.

However, at the risk of repeating a quote, I took you up in this thread simply because of the following quote you originally made

which is contrary to what you are saying in the highlighted passage above. If you are now saying that what you originally said was not what you meant or that you had forgotten about Stephens then fair enough, but Stephens is clearly a playmaker.

I do agree with you that he is still relatively inexperienced, but that does not stop a player having a big impact on the team, just as Chris Taylor did when he first emerged. I don't think either that my expectations of Stephens are unrealistic, as since he got into the team, he has held his place purely on merit. However, I always look for what I call 2nd season syndrome and will be interested to see if Stephens is affected by this next term.

As for the comment about high horse. Please. I feel more like I'm flogging a :dedhrse: at times on here.

Well if you want to pick nits then I'd suggest that there is a difference between the two which would render the original point valid. Stephens is a player who sets the tempo of the game to me; he tackles and plays the ball sideways to his wingers, good eye but I would still say he isn't the man to get pick the "eye of the needle" ball. Whitaker, however, is an out and out ball player...

Look at us against MK Dons - best performance for a while and everything went through Whits playing up at the top of the pitch. Stephens will never play that role - it doesn't suit him.