Retain/Release - Thus far

Who makes you retain/release lists for the end of the season judging by everything we've seen so far this season but assuming we're still in League One next season?

Development squad doesn't count.

Retain:

Brill

Fleming

Gregan

Hazell

Holdsworth

Jacobsen

Furman

Taylor

Stephens

Smalley

Abbott

Release:

Lomax

Whitaker

Parker

Alessandra

Lee

Colbeck

Black

Unsure:

Alijofree

Purdie

Worthington

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't this all depend upon who is under contract?

Retain:

Brill - under contract.

Fleming - a goner either way.

Gregan - under contract.

Hazell - under contract.

Holdsworth - undewr contract.

Jacobsen - under contract.

Furman - under contract.

Taylor - under contract.

Stephens - under contract? If not get one signed ASAP.

Abbott - under contract.

Release:

Lomax - I presume he's out of contract. Off him.

Whitaker - Out of contract - definately get rid.

Parker - under contract.

Alessandra - Under contract? Will be as cheap as chips anyway, so keep.

Lee - get rid.

Colbeck - Under contract.

Black - Cheap as chips. Keep for another year.

Smalley - No idea of contract?

Unsure:

Alijofree - Nah.

Purdie - Undr contract.

Worthington - Under contract

Lomax and Black are decent backups. Alessandra has another year to go and I doubt is earning much, so it's a last chance for him. Lee could be a useful squad player but needs to do something this season.

Purdie and Worthington are under contract and it'd be expensive and harsh to release them because of bad luck with injuries. Neither came to us with reputations for being crocked. I'd keep both.

The surprise there is Colbeck - hardly been at the club for long, under contract and cost a fee - no way we could or should get rid. Far too early to write him off.

I'd like to see Parker go but paying him off may prove costly.

Oh yeah. Aljofree is just filler; he's gone. Same with Steer, possibly McKerr, Ojapah, Dawson, Rowney and Ollerenshaw; if they don't break through this year they're probably gone.

Stephens will be out of contract - get him signed up. I think Brooke's on a one year deal - I'd extend that (and if money's tight, free Alessandra to do that). And sign Eaves up!

Oh yeah. Aljofree is just filler; he's gone. Same with Steer, possibly McKerr, Ojapah, Dawson, Rowney and Ollerenshaw; if they don't break through this year they're probably gone.

Stephens will be out of contract - get him signed up. I think Brooke's on a one year deal - I'd extend that (and if money's tight, free Alessandra to do that). And sign Eaves up!

Only seen McKerr the once but he looked half decent. If he's on bott all and that's his general standard I think I'd hold on to him. You do have to think that if he can't get in a team with no right backs that he might be struggling here though.

Doesn't this all depend upon who is under contract?

Retain:

Brill - under contract.

Fleming - a goner either way.

Gregan - under contract.

Hazell - under contract.

Holdsworth - undewr contract.

Jacobsen - under contract.

Furman - under contract.

Taylor - under contract.

Stephens - under contract? If not get one signed ASAP.

Abbott - under contract.

Release:

Lomax - I presume he's out of contract. Off him.

Whitaker - Out of contract - definately get rid.

Parker - under contract.

Alessandra - Under contract? Will be as cheap as chips anyway, so keep.

Lee - get rid.

Colbeck - Under contract.

Black - Cheap as chips. Keep for another year.

Smalley - No idea of contract?

Unsure:

Alijofree - Nah.

Purdie - Undr contract.

Worthington - Under contract

You can quite easily get under contract players off the books by offering them free transfers. They'd usually prefer and look for a club if they're told they have no future at the club (Kalala, Thompson, Davies)

Black - Maybe I'm being harsh on him, he hasn't looked anything spectacular....I guess a further year to see how his development pans out wouldn't be a bad thing.

Alessandra - Seemed to work well with Hughes at the start of last season....but who are we kidding, he's not a goal scorer....or a target man...he's doesn't have much pace or any real skill and he falls over far too often. He's quite lightweight. I doubt he's going to improve drastically, he hasn't torn up any trees while being out on loan. Next year would be his 4th year in the first team which is far too long for to be carried under the "hot prospect" umbrella. Best for him and the club if he can find somewhere else. We've got Bebo-Leta and Eaves who should be pushing next season for first team squad status and we can't afford to wait around for Alessandra at the development expense of our other young strikers.

Lomax - Has never been better than Eardley. Eardley was one of our best players, one of the best right backs in this league and he was sold for peanuts. The thought that Lomax could fill his boots was ludicrous. I'm glad Lomax was given a second chance by Sheridan when Ronnie shut the door....because back then he looked like a really good prospect but he has panned out to be average. He'll have no difficulty finding a club in League Two ***cough Chesterfield***.

As for Smalley, right now I wouldn't retain him, but if he ups his performances and shows the glimpses of form he had early last season, before the end of this season, then he's a keeper.

Black - Maybe I'm being harsh on him, he hasn't looked anything spectacular....I guess a further year to see how his development pans out wouldn't be a bad thing.

Alessandra - Seemed to work well with Hughes at the start of last season....but who are we kidding, he's not a goal scorer....or a target man...he's doesn't have much pace or any real skill and he falls over far too often. He's quite lightweight. I doubt he's going to improve drastically, he hasn't torn up any trees while being out on loan. Next year would be his 4th year in the first team and I doubt he'd see much action. Best for him and the club if he can find somewhere else.

Lomax - Has never been better than Eardley. Eardley was one of our best players, one of the best right backs in this league and he was sold for peanuts. The thought that Lomax could fill his boots was ludicrous. I'm glad Lomax was given a second chance by Sheridan when Ronnie shut the door....because back then he looked like a really good prospect but he has panned out to be average. He'll have no difficulty finding a club in League Two ***cough Chesterfield***.

most technically gifted player we have at BP ... people forget his first 8games of 08/09 when he made the difference with us being top of the table up front with hughesy, and instead remember watching him fall over against leicester on SKY. muppets.

When smalley won players player at the awards last season, Fleming told me (im such a name dropping bastard...) that he was one of the best footballers he had ever worked with and did things in training that the other lads wouldn't ever try. Just need a coach/manager to harness his potential and get him to do it on matchdays.

When smalley won players player at the awards last season, Fleming told me (im such a name dropping bastard...) that he was one of the best footballers he had ever worked with and did things in training that the other lads wouldn't ever try. Just need a coach/manager to harness his potential and get him to do it on matchdays.

ok, I'm shamelessely stealing this from earlier in the thread, but....

j0ur5w.gif