Going over the books

As earlier advertised, Mark (Latics & England) and I are going into the Club next week to take up their offer for fans to have a look into the books with Messers Corney and Hardy and the club accountant. We are happy to take any specific questions from people with us. To save time, the sort of things we will be hoping to bring you details of would include:

The current levels of loss making within the club

The nature of the debt on the clubs books

The general levels of income and expenditure (wage bill, ground upkeep, marketing, catering and so on – of course within the bounds of

confidentiality)

Where possible we will also ask questions regarding the future financial model for the club, although I guess a lot of this depends on whether Failsworth can be made to happen and who else comes on board.

So over to you lot, post here or PM either of us and if possible we will add your questions to the agenda.

Mark and Andy

I know it's hardly a pressing matter and little can be done about it, but I am curious if it can be found out just how much money has been saved by knocking down the Lookers. Whilst demolishing it initially wasn't a money-saving exercise and it has made the ground look a total dump, I do wonder how far it's worked out from the best. Far from a priority - the main issues are those which you've already highlighted (and I don't expect anything untoward to be discovered).

Good on you two for going and have a look, it's good that the club are so open but few people would be willing to give the time or make the effort to actually sit there and sift through the books.

As earlier advertised, Mark (Latics & England) and I are going into the Club next week to take up their offer for fans to have a look into the books with Messers Corney and Hardy and the club accountant. We are happy to take any specific questions from people with us. To save time, the sort of things we will be hoping to bring you details of would include:

The current levels of loss making within the club

The nature of the debt on the clubs books

The general levels of income and expenditure (wage bill, ground upkeep, marketing, catering and so on – of course within the bounds of

confidentiality)

Where possible we will also ask questions regarding the future financial model for the club, although I guess a lot of this depends on whether Failsworth can be made to happen and who else comes on board.

So over to you lot, post here or PM either of us and if possible we will add your questions to the agenda.

Mark and Andy

Is the ground owned by Oldham Athletic 2004 Limited or by someone else. If owned by someone else, why? Is there any benefits to the club of doing this? Is it to minimise exposure to risk by the owners? Is this normal?

If confidentiality allows, an overview of how ownership of club, land etc. is split between TTA companies might be useful to know, if only to clarify various notions and theories about what happens in different future (exit) scenarios.

An idea of difference in income if we're relegated (accepting that's partly an estimate), mainly to dispel the myth that it wouldn't hurt us much.

I know you mentioned it, but just to reiterate, a core element of the info must be seasonal figures for:

Overall income, and how it breaks down:

Gate receipts

Merchandise

TV money

etc.

Overall expenditure, and how it breaks down:

Player wages

Staff wages

Ground maintenance

etc.

Ideally full figures for 2008/9 and a projection of how they have changed for 2009/10.

If it's forthcoming, a figure for the financial hole that the recession left in the BP redevelopment project and some comparison of cost and potential income of the BP plan and the Failsworth plan. We've been told BP redevelopment is unviable - this info might help show how unviable.

Maybe veering away from the purely financial, but an honest appraisal of our options if the council decide they cannot lease us the Failsworth land. Develop just on the AVRO land? Lower scale/phased redevelopment of BP? (That artist's impression of the Failsworth main stand would look great on the site of the Lookers)... or would we be looking at wind down of costs and TTA exit?

Edited by garcon

If confidentiality allows, an overview of how ownership of club, land etc. is split between TTA companies might be useful to know, if only to clarify various notions and theories about what happens in different future (exit) scenarios.

An idea of difference in income if we're relegated (accepting that's partly an estimate), mainly to dispel the myth that it wouldn't hurt us much.

I know you mentioned it, but just to reiterate, a core element of the info must be seasonal figures for:

Overall income, and how it breaks down:

Gate receipts

Merchandise

TV money

etc.

Overall expenditure, and how it breaks down:

Player wages

Staff wages

Ground maintenance

etc.

Ideally full figures for 2008/9 and a projection of how they have changed for 2009/10.

If it's forthcoming, a figure for the financial hole that the recession left in the BP redevelopment project and some comparison of cost and potential income of the BP plan and the Failsworth plan. We've been told BP redevelopment is unviable - this info might help show how unviable.

Maybe veering away from the purely financial, but an honest appraisal of our options if the council decide they cannot lease us the Failsworth land. Develop just on the AVRO land? Lower scale/phased redevelopment of BP? (That artist's impression of the Failsworth main stand would look great on the site of the Lookers)... or would we be looking at wind down of costs and TTA exit?

This sums it up for me - it would be nice to know:

How much comes in

How much goes out

How any shortfall is covered

:wink:

how much did we spend on firman colbeck and how much did we get for ogrady and eardley?

When Simon Corney made the original offer of people to look over the finances at the last Forum, he stated that certain information could not be shared as it was confidential. This included individual salaries and transfer fee's, especially in the case of something like O'Grady where the other party has asked for non-disclosure.

Before Chris Moore killed us, my family were shareholders and we used to get a copy of the accounts at the end of the financial year. It is always stated in those accounts things like the total amount paid out in salaries (remebering that this includes all, not just playing staff) and the total amount recived and paid out in transfer fee's and payments to agents etc.

Still it will give us all something to do when we get the details of the total transfer fee's and we divide it by 2 :wink:

Some of questions from me, if you can, and please my thatnks to the owner for doing this.

1) Do the Caterers cater at the Training ground, or is it in house.

2) If they dothe catering, do they charge meal including VAT (and profit), or charge it at cost

3) What are the ballpark annual projected budgets for the 3G pitches at Failsworth.

4) What is the annual Gas & Electricity expenditure.

Many thanks

Andy

I would be interested to know:

What sources of income the club has. As I understand it, Mr Corney locates another business on the premises of Boundary Park. This should give you a tell tale sign of who owns the ground and offices. If Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd own it, then they should receive some form of income against leasing the offices (even if it is just £1). If they do not, then they don't own the land. Simples.

I would be interested to know what capitalised assets are listed in the club's accounts.

What debt does the club has and what charges are associated with it. This should be available. I would be surprised if the business operates without an overdraft facility. This is usually charged against some form of asset. What is this?

Given the amount we paid for him, can you have a look to see whether or not Joe Colbeck is listed as an "asset" and if so, how much he has been capitalised for.

If you can find out any future budgeting, what has been done regarding sensitivities re: the new stadium and potential different / increased income streams.

With the club spending more than it's income, what do we spend it on? Where is the bulk of expenditure?

What sources of funding does the club have? There is income but also any benefactors.

Ta

Alex