one very angry fan !

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely that Mr "Fishomania" is member number 5,656.

Edit - according to the front page, we have "3,190 registered members".

And the law of internet forum membership (that I've just made up) states that the actual active membership is probably about a tenth of that. :unsure:

Edited by garcon

£60k a year for breakfasts and lunches according to the OS.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1900398,00.html (do a <FIND> on "£60k").

£1200 a week.

£240 a day.

£10 a player per day for a squad of 24.

Not too excessive if it keeps control of diet and fitness.

£10/player/day (at the club) is actually quite a lot. How much does some fruit and yoghurt cost or some toast and marmite (or other healthy spread), or some cereal with semi-skimmed milk, or a bit of porridge cost? Provided you aren't eating fry-ups breakfast is bloody hard to be unhealthy at (and even fry-ups are not that unhealthy). Lunch wise some form of chicken or other lean meat/fish with some veg and pasta/rice can't be that much. These are professional athletes they are not school boys they will know how to eat healthily and actually considering they are professional athletes a bit of fat/unhealthy food now and then won't do them too much harm.

Why should professional sportsmen getting paid a decent sum of money have their food provided for them- they can pay for their own like everyone else. Plus if its that important to have the team eat 2 of their 3 (possibly 4) meals a day at the club why not all 3 (or 4), what's to stop the likes of Smalley, Taylor, Gregan et al. from nipping down to Maccy D's/KFC/Pizza Parlour supreme and gorging for evening meal. Why not say you can't go out- beer is very unhealthy for diet (there's about 250 calories/pint and that's mainly fat).

Diet plays a role, yes, but considering the amount of calories I'd expect a professional footballer to burn in a day (nevermind a day with a game) its not that easy to eat all that food without having something that dieticians consider unhealthy. What the club has to consider is if the benefits of feeding the players (boost in team morale and knowing what they are eating for some of the time) is worth the price of a player's wages/year. IMHO it doesn't even come close and if I was a professional footballer I'd be insulted if the club thought I couldn't look after myself well enough that they have to feed me.

£10/player/day (at the club) is actually quite a lot. How much does some fruit and yoghurt cost or some toast and marmite (or other healthy spread), or some cereal with semi-skimmed milk, or a bit of porridge cost? Provided you aren't eating fry-ups breakfast is bloody hard to be unhealthy at (and even fry-ups are not that unhealthy). Lunch wise some form of chicken or other lean meat/fish with some veg and pasta/rice can't be that much. These are professional athletes they are not school boys they will know how to eat healthily and actually considering they are professional athletes a bit of fat/unhealthy food now and then won't do them too much harm.

Why should professional sportsmen getting paid a decent sum of money have their food provided for them- they can pay for their own like everyone else. Plus if its that important to have the team eat 2 of their 3 (possibly 4) meals a day at the club why not all 3 (or 4), what's to stop the likes of Smalley, Taylor, Gregan et al. from nipping down to Maccy D's/KFC/Pizza Parlour supreme and gorging for evening meal. Why not say you can't go out- beer is very unhealthy for diet (there's about 250 calories/pint and that's mainly fat).

Diet plays a role, yes, but considering the amount of calories I'd expect a professional footballer to burn in a day (nevermind a day with a game) its not that easy to eat all that food without having something that dieticians consider unhealthy. What the club has to consider is if the benefits of feeding the players (boost in team morale and knowing what they are eating for some of the time) is worth the price of a player's wages/year. IMHO it doesn't even come close and if I was a professional footballer I'd be insulted if the club thought I couldn't look after myself well enough that they have to feed me.

I think it's more that DP is getting them lunch provided so that he can keep the players at the club at lunch so they can go out for another training session of some sort of tactical information for the next game. However i do agree about feeling insulted not being trusted enough to look after your body

Why not say you can't go out- beer is very unhealthy for diet (there's about 250 calories/pint and that's mainly fat).

Whatever else you said is totally undermined by the crap you spout.

Go do some research. Most of the calories in beer are from ALCOHOL. which is hardly surprising. A small amount are other carbs. Virtually none are fat. You must have missed that bit of medical training (although it was all in O level Biology) - are you actually qualified in any way?

Your post just goes to show how much crap is spouted on message boards by people who are all too willing to claim they know something about something when in fact they know jack all.

Edited by real

Your post just goes to show how much crap is spouted on message boards by people who are all too willing to claim they know something about something when in fact they know jack all.

Mind you, the internet would be a pretty quiet place if people didn't do that... :lol:

I agree with much of what you say RM.

And that highly paid players pay for their own like everyone else.

£10 is too much, I have that budget for 3 meals.

However, I suspect that includes staff too, so might be nearer £5, for brakfast and lunch.

I have asked Lees if he can find out if the costs of players meals are provided by the Caterer or in house. If its a caterer, is it on a free issue basis (better for VAT) or cost plus vat, or full price.

This can benefit the club controlling its costs if its a caterer.

I suspect that the club provides the meals as part of certainty of meal, and ensuring the players had the "incentive" to want to come in for breakfast, and also team bonding, dual benefit. Maybe they had evidence that some players were not looking after their bodies, maybe some just find it easier not to have temptations. So I'd disagree with that bit, it would benefit the club paying for breakfasts, but agree they should not have to.

With regards to the original poster, I think he has spent too much time on OWTB. All the spelling mistakes, regurgitating some of the sillier arguments, basing his arguments on incorrect facts.

Basically beleiveing everything he reads, I think he's depressed and I'm not a doctor!

PPS As you know, not eveyone who goes to private school is loaded!

PPPS Lags, Was it Gary Hoolickins business or was he fitting them for someone?

Edited by singe

I agree with much of what you say RM.

And that highly paid players pay for their own like everyone else.

£10 is too much, I have that budget for 3 meals.

However, I suspect that includes staff too, so might be nearer £5, for brakfast and lunch.

I have asked Lees if he can find out if the costs of players meals are provided by the Caterer or in house. If its a caterer, is it on a free issue basis (better for VAT) or cost plus vat, or full price.

This can benefit the club controlling its costs if its a caterer.

I suspect that the club provides the meals as part of certainty of meal, and ensuring the players had the "incentive" to want to come in for breakfast, and also team bonding, dual benefit. Maybe they had evidence that some players were not looking after their bodies, maybe some just find it easier not to have temptations. So I'd disagree with that bit, it would benefit the club paying for breakfasts, but agree they should not have to.

With regards to the original poster, I think he has spent too much time on OWTB. All the spelling mistakes, regurgitating some of the sillier arguments, basing his arguments on incorrect facts.

Basically beleiveing everything he reads, I think he's depressed and I'm not a doctor!

PPS As you know, not eveyone who goes to private school is loaded!

PPPS Lags, Was it Gary Hoolickins business or was he fitting them for someone?

I think it is breakfast and lunch, not just breakfast. I think the coaching staff, physios etc are involved as well as the players. From the fishul site there are about 33 players not 24. And I believe the matchday caterers (are they called Azure?) do the players' meals.

So it's nothing like £10 a player for breakfast and lunch.

PS you can't get to private school unless you're loaded.