Hearing DP out

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to stick my neck out here and quite frankly i don't give a f/took After watching my struggling team compete, battle and at times, outplay a very strong top of the table team, who (Norwich) worked harder than any other team you will see again this season at BP, I hear the piss-pots in the stands shouting we want Penney out, makes me feckin sick tbh.

Get a grip and drink 3 pints less you tools - it's going to be hard enough as it is this season, without mindless, beer driven, emotional, uninformed chants!!

Another 12/18 months and given the chance, I hope those chants are shoved right back up your arse' with plenty of interest.

I have to agree with this. I am not a Pennay fan, because I think he is generally very negative. However today we played well against a team top of the league. We at least deserved a point and were certainly the better side. If we play like that till the end of the season we will finish mid-table.

Anybody giving Penney :censored: at the end of todays game are clearly thick!

I can't see how anyone on here who is defending Penney, can't have been more to more than half the games this season .... its not about today, its about the season, its been dire.

No it hasn't. The results have been dire, and the fact that the team have not looked like scoring consistently has seriously cast a shadow over the season but the games that I have seen have not (Hartlepool aside) been awful.

The fact about this Latics side is that they have a good work ethic, play some nice stuff but then utterly fail to carry a goal threat. However, to blame DP for all of that is pointless because there are more than a couple of occasions where the team has missed really good chances - one-on-ones or free headers - and there is nothing that the manager can do to change that. Maybe we could play a more attacking formation or style, but we also could do with Taylor rediscovering his form and Parker learning how to beat the keeper.

If you want to criticise the procurement policy in the summer then fair enough - I for one bad-mouthed the signing of Parker. However, a lot of people on this site were hailing it as a good move.

No it hasn't. The results have been dire, and the fact that the team have not looked like scoring consistently has seriously cast a shadow over the season but the games that I have seen have not (Hartlepool aside) been awful.

The fact about this Latics side is that they have a good work ethic, play some nice stuff but then utterly fail to carry a goal threat. However, to blame DP for all of that is pointless because there are more than a couple of occasions where the team has missed really good chances - one-on-ones or free headers - and there is nothing that the manager can do to change that. Maybe we could play a more attacking formation or style, but we also could do with Taylor rediscovering his form and Parker learning how to beat the keeper.

If you want to criticise the procurement policy in the summer then fair enough - I for one bad-mouthed the signing of Parker. However, a lot of people on this site were hailing it as a good move.

roll on exeter, leyton o,brighton,an when we get stuffed off stockport maybe we might be all 1oo%on telling this yorky clown to do one,no goals yet again and cant see many more,accy stanley here we come

roll on exeter, leyton o,brighton,an when we get stuffed off stockport maybe we might be all 1oo%on telling this yorky clown to do one,no goals yet again and cant see many more,accy stanley here we come

I think its very depressing but I think we'll be waving at shez as we go in opposite directions at the end of the season.. Having said that, there's no point in getting rid of penney now. We'd only be repeating that Royle charade at the end of last season. From what I hear at the club, season tickets sales will plummet during the summer, depression central! :disappointed:

Looking at things in the context of today's performance, the calls for Penney's head are pointless. The players, not for the first time recently, put in a decent shift.

If they do that for the remainder of the season - really getting it together and playing their way out of the relegation zone - then there's no reason why season ticket sales will drop. Quite the opposite in fact. 2010/11 could be a season that starts on the back of a good run in to 2009/10 and a little bit of optimism will return.

I will admit that Penney hasn't impressed me with his negative tactics this season. Full backs that rarely overlap = dull. Wide men that rarely deliver dangerous crosses = dull. I appreciate some of the defensive benefits this brings but I'd rather lose 2-3 than 0-1 every week. When the team has gone for the jugular they've looked good. When they've passed instead of hoofed they've looked like a side with something about them. When they've battled against stronger teams it has been refreshing. There's enough in the squad to entertain fans. The manager needs to deliver that entertainment more.

I'm not from Oldham. The town isn't in my blood. My 12 year old (who was born here) is the reason I have had a season ticket for 3 seasons and I've loved every minute of it. I have, however, watched football in all 4 divisions at various grounds over 30 years. There is no doubt that Latics fans on matchday are the most likely to get on their team's back I have ever witnessed.

A regular comment on these boards is "this club has cancer". The tumour is on the terraces.

Edited by opinions4u

The frustration for me is the constant failure to sign a decent striker. This goal drought has been staring us in the face for months.

Now, if we are to believe that "money is always available for strengthening" then what's the excuse?

Penney's record of enhancing the team is dire. Both Parker and Price are not known for their scoring ability yet he offloads O'Grady. Talk of him finding his level at Rochdale is rubbish. The lad didn't have the chance here and contrary to Sheridan, Penney has seen the lad scoring. A decent manager would have had him back in January and played to his strengths - an opportunity overlooked yet staring him the face!

He was in the enviable position of joining a club where the manager could rebuild immediately and had a decent budget at this level too. He's wasted that chance and Pav excluded has lumbered us with players unable to score let alone succeed at this level.

This season is a mess, the managerial appointment was an error, decisions last season were errors and if we do get relegated then Penney plus the owners have to hold their hands up and take the blame. I just hope that if ST holders and the diehards desert us then the owners don't take it out on those remaining but reward their loyalty with the budget, opportunity and manager to bounce back.

Performances are getting better, to be fair we barely used to be able to have a shot in anger! We are still losing and we still cannot score! Last 6 games we've scored just 3 goals.

Even when we've been bad before we've had the players to cause a shock to the big teams. Plymouth for example. There's none of that these days, the ability isn't there from the same budget Shez had!

I'm losing patience with Penney fast. He needs to get us some results in the next few games!

An ok performance resulting in 0 points does not mask the tactical naivety and general ineptitude displayed throughout the season so far.

We have a manager who is more concerned with defending than scoring resulting in fullbacks held to the halfway line and a midfield unable to link successfully with the forwards.

That is why we hold the lowly position we do and have the joint worst home goal scoring record and one of the worst combined scoring records in the league. There is no defence to that.

However booing the players during a game is counter-productive. Dave Penney however isn't playing and has already said he doesnt care about the fans opinion so he has made himself a target.

Season Ticket sales next year will either lead to a much reduced playing budget or a change of manager if he doesnt turn it around or both. The next 4 or 5 games are key as they are against mediocre opposition. I for one am not optimistic as we do not/have not scored enough goals to secure enough points all year.

I agree - Penney is not on the pitch so cannot be blamed for the huge number of misplaced passes - lack of awareness (how many times are our players caught in possession?) - and total lack of confidence.

However we are now reaping the rewards(?) of a season's negativity and poor tactical approach - the main knock-on being the lack of confidence displayed in front of goal.

It's the players who are failing to deliver but is it the system that's ultimately to blame?

I think so.

As someone who is not too happy with DP's tactical nous and style of management, I've got to say I found it strange that anyone could boo at the final whistle yesterday.

I thought we handled Norwich well, and had we made more of our (Admittedly few) chances in front of goal we could have had all three points never mind a draw.

A much improved performance, but we are still struggling to find the net - and that was our only fault yesterday.

Did not go... If anyone called for his head today it would of been off the back of the last 31 games and not because of this game...

Nice conclusion. Obviously you are right because they were calling for DPs head from the kick off and throughout the match rather than in reaction to a specific event in the game.

I really like how you can judge not only the way we played, but also the mood and motivation of the fans. All without moving from your armchair.

lack of awareness (how many times are our players caught in possession?)

It's the players who are failing to deliver but is it the system that's ultimately to blame?

Players being caught in possession is often because there are so few options available. What annoys me is the complete lack of energy, fluidity and creativity of the players who aren't on the ball. The midfield plays too square and there's a huge gap between them and the front two, how often to we pick the ball up in midfield and they guy looks up and NOBODY IS MOVING INTO A DECENT POSITION??? Yesterday it was difficult to spot any Latics players who were more than a foot or two away from their marker.

At this stage in the season, points mean far more than performance.

It's a results business and at the time being, we're not getting results. If we went down this season having played well in the remaining 15 games would you be happy? Nope. No one would. Teams around us are picking up points - Brighton who were below us only the other week have not got themselves a gap between us and are quickly disappearing leaving us with less and less teams to fight these 4 relegation spots with.

Until the results start improving and until we dont have to look over our shoulder at the real prospect of going down to the bottom division and swapping with the likes of 'dale and bury then the Penney Outers will only get more vocal.

The one's shouting for Penney out yesterday, were the same one's who were getting behind the side for the most part whilst the rest of the ground sat in silence.

DPO.

Players being caught in possession is often because there are so few options available. What annoys me is the complete lack of energy, fluidity and creativity of the players who aren't on the ball. The midfield plays too square and there's a huge gap between them and the front two, how often to we pick the ball up in midfield and they guy looks up and NOBODY IS MOVING INTO A DECENT POSITION??? Yesterday it was difficult to spot any Latics players who were more than a foot or two away from their marker.

And there you have it, the movement off the ball is practically non existant giving the man on the ball very limited options. Couple this with some woeful finishing and you have our problem.

DP needs to somehow get a clinical finisher in quickly...not an easy task i know but it's becoming a neccessity.

Also when worthington gets back into the side to sit in front of the back four we need to release the other midfielder ( stephens IMO ) to join in and get beyond the strikers.

GO FOR GOALS.

*deleted by mod*

Did you think we played badly yesterday?

Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of another manager when the team has started to perform better?

Did it work when Shez was sacked?

Btw, how did you come up with that user-name?

We played yesterday but we still don’t look like scoring.

Penney needs to address this as soon as possible. He needs to remember that it is his signings that are struggling to find the net.

The promising youngsters seem to be going backwards under him too.

Other than the odd calamity from Brill he has sorted our defence and I am more than happy with that. The midfield look to be getting their act together although there are no goals from midfield (I think there has been five this season in all games).

The forward issue needs to be sorted though. Then you have me onside David.

Lads, cut the confrontational stuff please

Perhaps this site should have a new policy on "say it to my face" comments:-

The person who says it has to post their name and address and link a photo of themselves too. If they want people to say it to their face, people will need to know who they are! :wink:

Going back on topic, given the position we are in I personally couldnt give two f***s about performance. A good performance counts for jack when you dont get any points to go with it.

Are things that bad that we as fans go into games against the top three teams with such a defeatist attitude? And fans who do not think it is acceptable that we have come out of the past three games with zero points is acceptable? yes it was expected but that does not make it OK. If the teams around us can pick up a few points here and there against the top teams then there is no reason why we shouldnt expect to pick up a few here and there against the top teams.

Doesnt matter how good or bad a performance is, if like us, you cant score goals, you dont win games and you dont pick up points.

Am I impressed with DP at the moment, hell no!!!! But if someone can name me a manager (without the blue tinted specs on) who is 1) available 2) would come here given the chance and 3) would make an immediate impact as well as being a good long term choice, then please do.