taylor!

Beer Belly: Don't blame the ale! Well not entirely. When you drink alcohol the liver stops using fatty acids for fuel and switches to alcohol instead. It leaves the fatty acids it should have used otherwise, and its stored in the adipose tissue. So the beer didn't form the belly, it comes from the stuff the liver leaves behind while it was burning off the beer.

That's technically not true but I can't be bothered explaining it in detail twice in 7 days (your more accurate than the other mis-informed bloke though- but that's not a surprise). (What follows is a general reply)

Taylor goes out and gets hammered in dingy Oldham nightclub- shock. He's a professional (i'll come back to the footballer bit) who is still in his early 20s earning good money who doesn't have to go into work the next day of course he's going to have a few. He won't be any different than the numbers of young men and women in the same situation who have gone out and had a few on the weekend because they can. Hands up all those people on here who have gone out and had too much to drink AND had to go to "work" the next day- I'd reckon it's going to be 80% of people old enough and probably a decent percentage of people not old enough, I know I've done it on more than one occassion- how many of those are paid by someone else?

Taylor gets this publicity because he goes out in Oldham where quite a few Latics fans go out and recognise him (not like he's that inconspicious is it). If he went out somewhere else would anyone really recognise him- I doubt it unless they're Oldham fans. I've heard stories about Gregan enjoying more than a few shandies in the restaurant/bar with a late license down the road from where my parent's live (Gregan has moved round the corner) does that make this board the next day- no (primarily because the number of Latics fans that would recognise him living nearby can be counted on one hand and I'm the only regular poster). Can Gregan be criticsed for his performance this season- heck no (in fact he could have more than 1 mare and still walk player of the season). The fact that Taylor's Dad likes the beer himself also doesn't help.

Yes, Taylor's performances have been off this season but he's had a very similar injury to Purdie and is still not fit (having had a problem in the same area myself I'm not surprised). His alcohol consumption has had no effect on that. If Taylor was so drunk that it affects his performance at training tomorrow (which is probably not going to be all that heavy duty anyway) then that's for Taylor and DP to decide (if it is the case I wouldn't want to be in taylor's shoes). We haven't got a game on Tuesday- one of the rare occassions in the coming weeks- so maybe he was having a night out because it would be the last time he could for a while- no real harm in that. Other professional footballer's go out all the time- how sober do you think Gerrard was when he punched that DJ? The cases make the papers all the time of professional footballers getting drunk. Taylor's problem is he goes out in Oldham where as most professional footballers go out in posh bars and nightclubs where it costs more than £2.50 to get in and drinks are usually more than £5.

Now what gets my goat about this- its not that Taylor went out and got drunk but that the club are boasting about spending x amount on food for the players to make sure they are eating healthily- one night out ruins all that for a couple of days so what's the point- when you are loosing money wasting it should be kept to a bare minimum.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh so that makes it ok then does it. Hang on a minute. He is a professional sportsman and in a very privaleged position compared to many making a living out of playing footie. Hes been injured, out of form, in a team thats struggling, been mentioned in paper that he, Colbeck and Smalley need to provide more. But hes 23 and so he gets wasted like everyone else.....in your World maybe?

I have quite recently got into Kayaking and been doing ok in Slaloms on top courses. The word from coaches to all squad. "If we hear about you being drunk or see you worse for wear your out of squad. " Obviously an element of safety in that instruction but we know they mean it, we still go out and still have a good laugh are all getting really fit as eating well.

Latics look like a bunch of drunks..........

hang on so your saying when they lose a match and they have a day off they should be sat at home knitting?

this is just ridiculous, they are allowed to go out, so long as its not before training or a match,

as am I if i have a bad day at the office, as are you,

a proffesional sportsman yes, and proffessional at work yes,

free time? allowed to do what he wants!

Why are sportsmen targeted for this sort of attention? My job involves thinking straight, sometimes quite hard, I'm sure a lot of us have jobs that involve being able to focus our eysight effectively, use manual dexterity or other tasks best not attempted after a skinful the night before, and it doesn't stop us. Saturday night is precisely the night they should be going out if they are going to.

My two-penneth; not too sure about this one... Taylor is fully entitled to spend his wage however he likes, there can be no arguing with him enjoying his downtime and if we wanted to get technical then maybe we'd need to see how it'd affect him were he to not let any steam off. However, we also have to acknowledge that Latics are in a deeply perilous position and it is "insensitive" to see Chrissy T boozing it up after another loss.

I'm not going to get upset, but at the same time if his performances aren't improving then I'd maybe start getting concerned...

hang on so your saying when they lose a match and they have a day off they should be sat at home knitting?

this is just ridiculous, they are allowed to go out, so long as its not before training or a match,

as am I if i have a bad day at the office, as are you,

a proffesional sportsman yes, and proffessional at work yes,

free time? allowed to do what he wants!

Wayne Rooney admitted he amended his night club ways - and look at the difference now

Edited by BP1960

I don't know about other people but if i go out and get hammered on a sat night then it takes a good few days for me to recover properly. I go the gym at least twice a week. I also play football and run at least four times a week. I can tell the difference when i've had a few too many at weekends. You are not telling me that Taylor feels 100% in training on Mon, Tue, Wed after he's got pi55ed up on a weekend. This is my problem with it.

Christ on a bike! A human being goes out for a few drinks after work and people seem genuinely annoyed. I think a reality check is needed for some people. What is supposed to do, stay indoors wrapped in cotton wool until the end of the season? Grow up people there are far greater issues in the world

Christ on a bike! A human being goes out for a few drinks after work and people seem genuinely annoyed. I think a reality check is needed for some people. What is supposed to do, stay indoors wrapped in cotton wool until the end of the season? Grow up people there are far greater issues in the world

but it aint just a few drinks

I used to see Paul Scholes out in Middleton many years ago when he'd just broken in to the first team at United. He was never ever off his trollley though, always seemed to be just a few quiet drinks with mates. Fergie put a stop to that pretty sharpish.

it is for a lightweight,

your just pi55ed off with Taylor cos he didnt talk to you new years :wink:

ha, he did actually. somethin along the lines of:

"i've seen you play at royton n crompton on a thur night. i think you could do a job for us on the left wing. i'm too hungover these to train these days"

;)

ha, he did actually. somethin along the lines of:

"i've seen you play at royton n crompton on a thur night. i think you could do a job for us on the left wing. i'm too hungover these to train these days"

;)

can you play left back though?

I used to see Paul Scholes out in Middleton many years ago when he'd just broken in to the first team at United. He was never ever off his trollley though, always seemed to be just a few quiet drinks with mates. Fergie put a stop to that pretty sharpish.

As it happens I remember an article about Scholes from quite a few years ago, it started with bullet points about what was known about him, one of which was, “he can hold his drink.” I guess the difference is that Scholes goes to his local and Taylor goes to a nightclub.