L. Orient - Post Game Thread

Just got back

Re nardiello, the steward behind me was one of the ones who carried him off. He said he got back up when he was taken round the back albeit was hobbling a bit.

Re the performance, although Leyton Orient were probably on par with Walsall as the worst team I have seen here, good solid performance, and goes to show when you shoot and have a go, you score. Could have very easily been four on another day.

Special mentions tonight imo go to

Gregan - Awesome as usual

Kieron Lee - Sprayed some beautiful passes today from Right Back

Dale Stephens - Took his goal very well, made some awesome forward runs

Penney still got a hell of along way to go before I get the humble pie out, but he got it right tonight, credit where its due. To those of you that went to exeter, had we played like this on Saturday would we have got all three points.

Att: 3,126

An easy win but after the 2nd goal we reverted to type, conceded territory and went back into our shell, that was disappointing -Orient were there for the taking but our performance for the last 35-40 minutes was more of a team clinging on rather than a team that had won the game easily.

Nardiello's injury didn't help, but holding the ball in the corner AGAIN is pretty unbelievable, I and many others were bored :censored:less for the last half an hour, we've won 2-0 but I still feel a bit cheated. If i'm honest Penney's negativity is getting right on my tits.

Chuffed we're 4 points clear of deep doggy doo, Stephens again very good - great to finally see a run beyond the strikers from a midfield. Smalley ? Much, much better! Lee impressed me, Nardiello had been doing well - but that's the last we'll see of him. Finally, Taylor - much more involved and i hope there's more to come. Two decent goals but shutting up shop AGAIN pissed me right off!

Edited by oafcprozac

Great win, if a little routine and against poor opposition. The football in the first half was probably the best this season; quick tempo and moved the ball well. Stephens was at the heart of everything good, the front two were lively and the wingers looked dangerous. Great to see and should have been 4 or 5-0.

Although it's hardly going to make the division sit up and take notice, it was a crucial win and wasn't ugly. On this basis we have enough in the tank to be safe with some degree of comfort, but we need to build on it by taking apart Wycombe this Saturday.

Just got back

Re nardiello, the steward behind me was one of the ones who carried him off. He said he got back up when he was taken round the back albeit was hobbling a bit.

Re the performance, although Leyton Orient were probably on par with Walsall as the worst team I have seen here, good solid performance, and goes to show when you shoot and have a go, you score. Could have very easily been four on another day.

Penney still got a hell of along way to go before I get the humble pie out, but he got it right tonight, credit where its due. To those of you that went to exeter, had we played like this on Saturday would we have got all three points.

Yes. Without a doubt. Exeter were a very similar side to Orient. Just goes to show what we can do when it clicks.

An easy win but after the 2nd goal we reverted to type, conceded territory and went back into our shell, that was disappointing -Orient were there for the taking but our performance for the last 35-40 minutes was more of a team clinging on rather than a team that had won the game easily.

Nardiello's injury didn't help, but holding the ball in the corner AGAIN is pretty unbelievable, I and many others were bored :censored:less for the last half an hour, we've won 2-0 but I still feel a bit cheated. If i'm honest Penney's negativity is getting right on my tits.

Chuffed we're 4 points clear of deep doggy doo, Stephens again very good - great to finally see a run beyond the strikers from a midfield. Smalley ? Much, much better! Lee impressed me, Nardiello had been doing well - but that's the last we'll see of him. Finally, Taylor - much more involved and i hope there's more to come. Two decent goals but shutting up shop AGAIN pissed me right off!

See my post re nardiello

The steward behind me was one of the ones who carried him off, he said he got off the stretcher himself and seemed ok, albeit was hobbling a bit

So hopefully nothing long lasting

The steward behind me was one of the ones who carried him off, he said he got off the stretcher himself and seemed ok, albeit was hobbling a bit

Could this mean finally we have a professional footballer who realised that getting on a stretcher is much better than not and doing more damage by walking on an injury unnecessarily?

Great win, if a little routine and against poor opposition. The football in the first half was probably the best this season; quick tempo and moved the ball well. Stephens was at the heart of everything good, the front two were lively and the wingers looked dangerous. Great to see and should have been 4 or 5-0.

Although it's hardly going to make the division sit up and take notice, it was a crucial win and wasn't ugly. On this basis we have enough in the tank to be safe with some degree of comfort, but we need to build on it by taking apart Wycombe this Saturday.

Agreed. MOM for me. Smalley and Taylor had their best games tonight for some time as well.

Thought that Lee seems to be settling in nicely at right back. May be his slot for a while if he keeps it up....

Defence weren't really threatened as a whole - Greegs was a brickwall yet again. Rubes and JJ solid enough.

Very pleased overall. Two good goals and players 1-11 performed well. It must be said that Orient were one of the poorest sides we'll play this season, but you can only beat what's put in front of you. It was the manner of the performance that pleased me most.

Well done Latics.

The guy commentating on Radio Manchester said it was the best Oldham had played all season. Like others have said, we need to string a few wins or at least go unbeaten for 5 or 6 games.

Just to throw an interesting thought in, say we finish comfortable mid table what does the future hold next season ? Still need to get rid of penney ? Hope he learns from his mistakes with signings , can the owners afford to get of him ?

See my post re nardiello

So hopefully nothing long lasting

I've hobbled home several times and only discovered long terms injuries the following day.

I was looking for the MOTM thread to say much the same thing - I'd probably give it to Lee for what I thought was an 'Eardleyesque' performance. He looked confident, got stuck in, looked for the ball, used it well, tried to get forward and yet defended well when he had to.

Stephens currently looks to be our best central midfielder by some way - he looks as good in the first team has he used to do in the reserves. Nice one Shez. ^_^

I didn't think Gregan was quite as commanding and assured as usual, but he was still both commanding and assured.

Abbott played well also - if he could strike it cleanly he'd be some player. :wink:

Well done to the management too I suppose.

To be fair penney was screaming at them for most of the 2nd half to get out as we were camped in our own half I could hear him from the back of the main stand telling the players to push out, the players were just a little nervous about holding onto a lead only natrual when you have been struggling for so long.

Your right about midfielders getting in and around and beyond the strikers thats how we got opur goals by the midfielders being positive and getting forward. If you have a player like abbot who can bring players into the game then its upto the midfielders to get in and around him and make runs off him thats how smalley got his goal tonight by taking the ball on and then a give and go and he's in. We haven't seen enough of it so far this season more of it will see us pull away with ease. Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes made careers of getting up and around and beyond the strikers more of the same from our boys we can get 10 goals between now and the end of the season by just doing that.

kind of agree but i thought it seemed to be more nardielo going off than us getting a two goal lead and defending it. when he went off we lost a key outlet and then it was too easy to just sit back

didnt go tonight but im pleased with what people are saying. i hope penney sees that we have more of an attacking team and 15 shots more than saturday as good to see

kind of agree but i thought it seemed to be more nardielo going off than us getting a two goal lead and defending it. when he went off we lost a key outlet and then it was too easy to just sit back

id agree with that.first half he put himself about made some good runs to create space and opened play up a bit,looks a decent signing,lets hope he isnt too badly injured and we dont have to send him back,think he will link up very well with abbott and could be one of the missing ingrediants we have been crying out for,3 months too late but hey

thought greegs went a bit headless chicken towards end of second half,he had there strikers under control,but his tackle n booking were avoidable.

lee played very well as did taylor and smally,even whitts put himself about a bit...

only criticism i would have is colbeck...look scared stiff and too easily dragged out of position...did one very good run,but not much else,pleased the young striker was given a run out...in all its starting to look promising...again

The league tables looking a whole lot better now after Tranmere's predicted thumping at the hands of Leeds, they should be due the same on Saturday at Bristol so we need to follow up tonight by beating a side on paper worse than Orient

IT CAN BE DONE! :grin: