franny ward sacked?

Now for clarity of position and not one to hide nor being to big when an apology is due I'll share with the board that I have on this occassion. Broady as PM 'd me regarding my above post claiming he is :censored: at the PA job, asking me for some constructive views on how to improve the PA job and match day experience.

I have apologised for the ':censored:' remark as with hindsight it's perhaps the wrong word to use on the forum and most likely offensive to him. However I stand by my view he's not very good at the job.

stop eating the mike might help.then we might be able to hear you

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am usually to busy trying to grab the last pie before they sell out... That is when I do go... (remember I have only been once this season)...

Is it too much to expect the club to be run to a level that when they sack someone they have a plan of action for his replacement ? Some direction and steer...

Use to be good having the local teams playing games at half time. That used to past the 15 mins while my tummy was hungry due to lack of pies.

You don;t know the circumstances of the sacking, if indeed he has been sacked, so it might not have been possible to have a plan. It might have been an instant dismissal (though i grant you that takes some time) or a walk out.

I agree it is not rocket science to improve it though.

I always liked it when the kids played a game, seeing how they cope , and they odd bit of skill getting you think that there might be agem thre.

I also liked The Dowie warm ups before the game too!

I liek the idea of this thread evolving into lots of ideas to keep the fans entertained, if it stops one person not attending because of boredom then it is good.

I know it is difficult in this day an age, but what about a junior schools half time knock out cup 5 a side, guest of the club etc. Lots of space show so chance of goals, get the kids in young.

Edited by singe

For what it is worth here are my views.

1, Look at the target audience - Primarily men who have their better days behind them and have no interest in jokey radio breakfast show type banta oi oi!!

2, The "music played at Boundary Park has been supplied by hmv" - can we please dip in to the bargain bucket and get something with a tune rather than insipid modern pop rubbish? Inspiral Carpets - This is How it Feels was a welcome addition to the playlist on Saturday and by jingo a few of them are from Oldham too! Was also good to hear Dominos by The Big Pink - Velvet is a better track though but Dominos is a step in the right direction. I don't see many people dressed like Lady Gaga at Boundary Park but I see a lot of people who are probably into boys with guitars, at the end of the day it is only background music but Rochdale manage to get it right. Indie and rock classics, a bit of Madchester and maybe even the odd new one by some young lads with daft haircuts but have managed to write a tune that makes you tap your foot when you're one nil up at half time.

3, A few of the people in the ground have a passing interest in sport, some even like football so score updates are a must.

4, Never, ever play the "Let's get ready to grumble" clip at the start of the second half again.

5, If we are the 12th man god help the other 11. Encouraging us to make some noise for our boys seems to have the adverse effect and is very 90s.

6, Do not let that woman from the Christie near a microphone again. Ever.

7, If one of the Latics legends comes out to do the half time draw it would be good to spend a bit of time asking him a few questions beyond what is currently asked. What are his favourite memories of his time spent here? Favourite games or any funny stories would kill a bit of time at half time.

8, Kids taking penalties at half time is always worth a watch.

9, Mouldy Old Dough has to played at some point.

10, Could get some of the youth team on the pitch doing keepie-uppies or ball skills. Maradona used to do this as a kid, we could even open it up so that if local kids want to do it they get 5 mins on the pitch or so.. might even unearth a bit of talent this way?

Mouldy Old Dough- like the tune, but can we not turn it off when he starts singing the words. the product on the pitch, the state of the Stadium etc is enough without being reminded

You don;t know the circumstances of the sacking, if indeed he has been sacked, so how can you criticse the plan. It might have been an instant dismissa (though i grant you that takes some time) or a walk out.

I agree it is not rocket science to improve it though.

I always liked it when the kids played a game, seeing how they cope , and they odd bit of skill getting you think that there might be agem thre.

I also liked The Dowie warm ups before the game too!

I liek the idea of this thread evolving into lots of ideas to keep the fans entertained, if it stops one person not attending because of boredom then it is good.

I never said I did know the circumstances... Given the criticism I know half time entertainment has not improved much...

I never said I did know the circumstances... Given the criticism I know half time entertainment has not improved much...

One game he's had, possibly at short notice then publicly responded to criticism, asked for ideas and has said he'll take them on board. What more can the man do?

Some really good suggestions and ideas, that will be taken on board. Thank you.

With Regards to half time, I agree that we don't do anything and their should be some form of game / entertainment to warm us all up. We had the Crossbar challenge last year, are we thinking something similar? Some form of Skills school type thing? So, if anyone has any specific ideas I will happily take them to the powers that be and see if we can get something sorted.

Next Time we have a returning legend for the half time draw there will be more questions asked.

I also know the club have some new PA equipment and hopefully all will be fine on Tuesday with the speakers in The Chaddy and RRE.

Broady Lad,

Firstly; fair play for stepping in and doing the PA - it's a difficult job to try and please everyone music, announcements & entertainment wise.

Music wise; what Beag-Teets said - without it going into a Tokyo Project (of old) Disco; Guitar Bands and Rock Bands would be a better bet than the horrible Chart dross of recent times IMO.

Half time wise; to maybe throw a couple of ideas into the mix - a soccer AM type 'skills school' that involves the current Youth team would be a good shout. 2 of the Youth team per home game have 2/3 mins each to show off their tricks and are then voted on by the crowd; with the winning lad going through to the next round. Eventually we'd end up with the 'grand final' between the best 2 lads; the winner tacking away a football related prize (voucher for kit / boots etc).

Gives the crowd something to watch (& vote on) and it also provides a way for the fans to get to know the youth lads (loads not knowing who Kirk Millar was on his debut Vs Wycombe; and some fans around me still shouting 'go on Brookey' to Tom Eaves!)

A few years ago; when the Lookers was still around, 1 home game had some U-9's (I think) mini games during the break - small goals brought onto the pitch and cones marked the pitch areas. I think 4 games were going on (1 near to each stand) and the crowd got really in to it - maybe that is something to look into again - some sort of quick 10 min 7-a-side mini games between local schools or junior football clubs? Give all the young boys & girls who play free entry to the game and sit them all the family stand - hopefully they enjoy the experience and they just might badger their parents to come back again? Get them hooked early and hope they stick with it. It's a 2 fold project - it provides something for the crowd to watch and it hopefully hooks in latics fans of the future (and we may even spot the odd gem that could go into our Centre of Excellence from these mini games to boot??)

Anyway; just an a couple of ideas

cheers

Did they do this ? Deary me...

did they do this? they do this every damn game when reading out the home line up.

we know we're sh*t, we don't need our own PA pointing it out to everyone, to absolutely no discernible effect!

hopefully the new broom will sweep this away...

There were just sometimes at Boundary Park when I went in young and came out feeling like a pensioner...

I personally think Broady does a decent job in catering for all. I agree with the points above though, which will no doubt improve the experience more.

was it tranmere who has some sort of put the ball through an inflatable tranmere logo and who ever got the ball thru the O got a shirt or something? not mega novel but better than the cross bar challenge which was probably never in danger of being won - the lad who did on the bounce should have got something tho.

THe little 5 aside games are always good - y not have some kind of tournament get the local school kids involved???

Edited by bluehobbit

Some really good suggestions and ideas, that will be taken on board. Thank you.

With Regards to half time, I agree that we don't do anything and their should be some form of game / entertainment to warm us all up. We had the Crossbar challenge last year, are we thinking something similar? Some form of Skills school type thing? So, if anyone has any specific ideas I will happily take them to the powers that be and see if we can get something sorted.

Next Time we have a returning legend for the half time draw there will be more questions asked.

I also know the club have some new PA equipment and hopefully all will be fine on Tuesday with the speakers in The Chaddy and RRE.

I'd love to see this. Me and you first up eh big guy? :wink: (we'll be fetching balls out of the car park for weeks...,)

I like the idea of some sort of penalty competitions for small prizes... surely there are hundres of shirts that are about to go unsold, could just start hurling them out... could invite the players for some shooting practice, however wouldnt do thier confidence any good when they get beat by the fans....

was it tranmere who has some sort of put the ball through an inflatable tranmere logo and who ever got the ball thru the O got a shirt or something? not mega novel but better than the cross bar challenge which was probably never in danger of being won - the lad who did on the bounce should have got something tho.

THe little 5 aside games are always good - y not have some kind of tournament get the local school kids involved???

It was Tranmere. I also rather like the one they have/had at Burnley where you have a large inflatable pie (pies, mmmm......) to boot balls through....

The new PA equipment should help, as I've not bee able to work out a word being said from the RRE.

And agreed about the "Let's get ready to rumble" disgrace. Cringeworthy....

Not really in Broady's remit but can some one please fix it so that on the rare (thankfully) occasions the little drummer boy brings his infernal drum that he doesn't beat it when the line-ups are being read out. Our team has had more changes than the line up of the Sugarbabes and it is useful to know who is on the bench rather than spend the next 82 minutes wondering why player X hasn't been brought on.

It was Tranmere. I also rather like the one they have/had at Burnley where you have a large inflatable pie (pies, mmmm......) to boot balls through....

The new PA equipment should help, as I've not bee able to work out a word being said from the RRE.

And agreed about the "Let's get ready to rumble" disgrace. Cringeworthy....

We can't hear the PA well enough but "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE" is heard loud and clear every home game!

I'd love to see this. Me and you first up eh big guy? :wink: (we'll be fetching balls out of the car park for weeks...,)

I like the idea of some sort of penalty competitions for small prizes... surely there are hundres of shirts that are about to go unsold, could just start hurling them out... could invite the players for some shooting practice, however wouldnt do thier confidence any good when they get beat by the fans....

The penalty is a good idea

How about the Youth team ( and reserves) have pen competition.

So that when they get to the1st team, they are not overawaed by a "larger" crowd (you know what I mean).

There was a club ased everyone to stay behind and they asked to prctice pens.Now I know we are not a big club, but it would be much larger than they are used to.

Same for the kids. taking at pen at Oldham won't phase them, they've done it before.

The penalty is a good idea

How about the Youth team ( and reserves) have pen competition.

So that when they get to the1st team, they are not overawaed by a "larger" crowd (you know what I mean).

There was a club ased everyone to stay behind and they asked to prctice pens.Now I know we are not a big club, but it would be much larger than they are used to.

Same for the kids. taking at pen at Oldham won't phase them, they've done it before.

That's a good idea- you never know when being able to take a penalty with a bit of pressure could be useful. I believe the club was Watford when Aidy Boothroyd was in charge and they were in the play-offs- I think it paid off for them to, as they won a shootout in the playoffs.

i heard that the club asked franny ward to a meeting about the state of the club lotto ,but did not turn up or respond to email's sent to him so i think the club did the right think in sacking franny as the lotto admin .

Broady - on each post, you've just said "good suggestions, all noted etc.", for someone who knows their onions music wise, what's the chances of you actually upgrading the music list at the ground rather than just 'noting' it. not a pop, just want to know if people at the club actually listen to what the fans want. by the fact that you've actually responded to some posts which came across as being critcial of you just shows that obviously you are happy to listen - just wonder if the 'powers that be' are aswell! Cheers....and if I can suggest some bands, the Inspirals and Twisted Wheel have gotta be up there.

Don't know what the price of a the sponsers lounge is but what if

their are insufficient bookings for a game ( or maybe next season

selected (CRAP) games were designated) these games could include

some kind of penalty scenario against .

A/ up to a certain age (ie up to 8 year old ) against Chaddy

B/Sponsor against third choice keeper

I know the kids would be up for it,

but I'm also certain quite a few would take it on board