• Danny Whitaker
    • Dale Stephens
    • Chris Taylor
    • Pawel Abbott
    • Lewis Guy
    • Deane Smalley
    • Dean Furman
    • Tom Eaves

Joe Colbeck for me chaps. gave us that extra pace on the wing...yes a wing....unlucky not to score. Sometimes he is too fast though even for him to contol the ball. But HEY HO...

Glad he got clapped off and welL done to the latics fan in yellow who stood up and said something as he went back up the steps. Saw this from the RRE and I hope it was "well done son".

KEEP GOING jOE

Match Ratings:

Flahavan - 8 - Impressive display and some vital saves. Few stray kicks stops a 9 but a solid game today.

Black - 8 - Didn't seem to do much wrong although never really threatened in defence - Fantastic cross for the 1st goal though.

Gregan - 8 - Another classic Gregan performance. Although was the goal his fault? I was too far away to see to say.

Hazell - 7 - Did his job well, no key moments from what I remember.

:censored: - 7 - Why has he not played more? Solid player with minimal mistakes even out of position.

Taylor - 4 - Not effective and something is clearly wrong. Penney did well to sub him off at half time.

Sub: Smalley - 8 - Great performance from Deano and a vital winner. He made us look like an attacking team again.

Whitaker - 8 - Ran his socks off and his cross for the winner was a well deserved assist.

Stephens - 7 - Spread the ball well and put in a few decent crosses.

Colbeck - 8 - Provided width to the game although a few daft runs he proved a good addition to the team.

Sub: Eaves - 6 - Did what was asked and kept it simple.

Abbott - 5 - Got into spaces but looked half hearted and messed up every possible chance he had.

Sub: Furman - 5 - In the 4 minutes on the field he did nothing wrong.

Guy - 9 - Great calm finish and proved a handful up front.

Also good to see the referee Mark Halsey back to top health. He got a cracking round of applause which he appreciated. Also a well refereed game by him, he kept the game flowing and few poor decisions.

This morning I posted something about Guy not being the solution to our striker problem.

This evening I vote for him as man of the match.

Pre-kick off I said to my mate that Black doesn't offer much to the side and is prone to the occasional blunder (and that I think JJ is a better left back.

This evening I acknowledge his contribution defensively, but moreso his attacking display, overlapping run in the first half and excellent diagonal passing that sets the side up to go forwards. Second place.

A mention to Flahaven for a couple of decent saves, :censored: for slotting in well at right back again (especially liked him popping up as a centre forward in the first half), Smalley for delivering a goal - a rarity for him - and Gregan for being Gregan. Mentions too for Stephens, the best midfielder on the park. Not sure I could really say Colbeck was great - where's the delivery Joe? I didn't really feel Whitaker was effective, despite his workrate.

But an important win delivered in a way that was quite exciting to watch.

We weren't great first half, but over the 90 minutes I thought we were worthy of a win.

Joe Colbeck for me chaps. gave us that extra pace on the wing...yes a wing....unlucky not to score. Sometimes he is too fast though even for him to contol the ball. But HEY HO...

Glad he got clapped off and welL done to the latics fan in yellow who stood up and said something as he went back up the steps. Saw this from the RRE and I hope it was "well done son".

KEEP GOING jOE

My vote also goes to Colbeck. Thought he had a great game and was sorry to see him being subbed. Whittaker & Guy also had good games and were contenders as well IMO, and one other special mention needs to go to Smalley. He played well today and was rewarded with the winning goal!

Smalley, even if he did only play 2nd half. We looked a different team when he came on, far more attacking and dangerous. Thought he was terrible before he got dropped,it's nice to be reminded how good he can be when he's confident and on form.

Flahavan and Guy both had great games as well. Colbeck did well but he's still got the touch of an elephant. Abbott was a shadow of how he played before his injury,again.

Take your pick from a few.

Flahavan was rock solid and saved us big time at the end. Would love to see him signed up as No1 for next season with Brill as back up.

:censored: didn't do much wrong.

Rubes & Greegs saw off most of the threats. Greegs a real rock again.

Black looked very assured and his cross for the goal was sublime - inch perfect

Taylor - there's something seriously wrong. Injury? Illness? Where's the Taylor of last season that left full backs with twisted blood?

Whits - worked really hard, sprayed the ball well and his bit of magic that led to the all important cross was pure class. More like the Whitaker that we saw when he first arrived.

Stephens is a real prospect. A few misplaced passes, but picked out some beauties and his free kick in the first half deserved a goal.

Colbeck looking as if he's starting to get it together. Terrific pace and can put in a good cross, but spoils himself with a heavy first touch at times.

Abbott worked hard and his hold up play is very, very good. Not at his best, thoug, and should have put us 2 up with a positive finish.

Guy - MOM for me. Put in a real shift and ran his heart out. The finish from Black's cross is a difficult skill and he showed real quality. Pleased we've now got him until the end of the season. Can we get him permanently, please?

Smalley showed what he is capable of. I think we always knew he had it in him; now he has to build on it. Fully deserved his goal.

Furman didn't have enough time to show abything, so unfair to make a comment.

Eaves - no real impact, but he's young and raw. There is talent there, though, and he makes intelligent runs.

Smalley, even if he did only play 2nd half. We looked a different team when he came on, far more attacking and dangerous. Thought he was terrible before he got dropped,it's nice to be reminded how good he can be when he's confident and on form.

Flahavan and Guy both had great games as well. Colbeck did well but he's still got the touch of an elephant. Abbott was a shadow of how he played before his injury,again.

Smalley really did make a difference when he came on, we looked much more purposeful and balanced in the second half, he also got up really well to head the winner.

As Penney said in his after match interview, hopefully dropping him is the kick up the arse Smalley needed.

He has some ability but he needs to show it more than 1 in every 10 games.

Smalley really did make a difference when he came on, we looked much more purposeful and balanced in the second half, he also got up really well to head the winner.

As Penney said in his after match interview, hopefully dropping him is the kick up the arse Smalley needed.

He has some ability but he needs to show it more than 1 in every 10 games.

Another vote for Joe Colbeck here.

Thought he was involved in most things whilst he was on; and I too was disappointed he was subbed. Worried Danny Jones and kept him from being the attacking full-back we know he likes to be. If the end product was slightly more regular; like his shot that hit the post and the couple of crosses he pinged in the 1st half; then he’d be a 1st team must-starter for me.

Special mention to Paul Black for a very solid display defensively and for his cracking assist for Guy’s goal. Deane Smalley also deserves a mention for a very promising 45mins; much more like it from him and obviously his winning goal will hopefully do him the world of good.

It’s good that there are so many contenders though; instead of the usual Gregan MoM (granted Sean was rock solid again)