well done david penny

stephens was already here,and plugging away in the reserves,signed by shez and never given a chance...maybe it was a last throw of the dice so to speak,but at least he was willing to try it,and look how it has turned out....running greegs a very close second to player of the season...so credit must be given to giving him a go.

also think your a tad harsh on millar and eaves....both look good young players...millar especially but maybe penney thought with bristol being a big side he wasnt upto that game..hardly think he has dissapeared...and if eaves is ever given his chance to start i think he would do a good job as well...

no wonder our young players dont want to step up with people ready to slag em off soon as they do....

:petesake:

Read what I wrote. Firstly, the OP's post was referring to Penney being a genuis in blooding new players. The reference to Millar had nowt to do with his ability (which looks impressive) it was to do with the fact that he was thrown into the team, and then not even got a sniff or two games - not exactly revolutionising our season with youth. As for Eaves, well. He's big. He has impact, but IMO it will be 2-3 years until we see him regularly. Which is quite right. Hopefully by then he will have developed into a proffesional footballer, rather than a promising kid.

I still dont belive Stephens would have been anywhere near our team had Worthy, Holdsworth, Furman etc all got injured at the same time. Theres a huge difference between giving a layer a shot dut to tactical thinking, and giving someone a shot as there is no-one else and you are desperate. The stephens situation was very much the latter. IIRC Penney also dropped him after a couple of games when he got in the team when Furman was back... he soon brought him back though, thank god.

... and as for your last line. Sod off! The bigger danger is playing kids who are no where near ready. IMO Eaves is no-where near ready. I will never, ever, slag him off in a latics shirt, however I will criticise an inept manager for playing him in the first place.

Edited by BigfinLatic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make is sound like he is some sort of maligned hero. What rubbish. He has got himself into this situation by 40-odd games characterised by negative tactics, poor signings and inept team performances, bereft of any drive or ambition.

As for this 'introducing raw youth' - well, I have to say IMO he stumbled upon Stephens by utter chance, when it so happened that all his array of identikit defensive midfielders were injured and he was the only option, Kirk Millar suddenly appeared and has dissapeared just as fast, and Tom Eaves is just a young, and currently rather pointless, version of Chris Porter. Not exactly revolutionised our team with kids has he?

I can take people being positive about this moderate up-turn, but to portray Penney as some sort of martyr with a tide of positive thoughts behind him, well is both delusional and wrong. If you dont have a clue what you are sodding doing and change things every game, well then once or twice in 46 you are going to get it right.

He's not going to be here next season. Its suicide for this club to keep him no matter what happens over the next six games. Too little, too late.

i havn't once mentioned him being a hero what i said is that he has had a miserable season..Which he has and i just hoped that it turned around a little..that's all as for not being here next season ..well let's wait and see...i belive that he should be here to finish of the job.

some people have become obsessed with penney bashing. give the guy credit where it is due.

That sounds like a FANTASTIC Half-Time event....Bring Penney out and let as many fans walk up to him, tell him precisely what they think of him, his inept handling of the team and dish out a slap or 2 to boot.

Fans' would flock back for that!

PENNEY OUT!

You will not see the best of Eaves as a substitute, he needs full games, hopefully that may happen if Latics can achieve safety in the next week or so.

Totally agree. He should only be played in matches which mean nothing. He is not someone who we should be throwing on when we are chasing games. It would be great to see him just going out and playing.... however the fact that we have to rely on Eaves being an option in crucial games is a sad indication of the ineptitude of Penney's squadbuilding.

... as for the Penney-bashing, its not even about that anymore... its about the future of this football club. I can (occasionally) see what he is trying to do, unfortunately it is just too late for him. Even if we win our last 6 games the season is still a disaster. The previous 40 shambolic performances will still mean so many fans will not step foot in BP until he is gone. It may or may not be his fault (and we all should know that the tail end of Sheridan was what really started the death-knell of the club), however DP has become the symbol of how pitiful this club has become.

We have to change it. As mentioned previously the best situation all round is if we stay up with a couple of games to spare, and Penney shakes hands and agrees it hasnt worked out. He can toddle off to another non-league club, and we can get Gannon in to break som balls around the place.

Edited by BigfinLatic

You'd think Gannon was the messiah or something.

he has done a fantastic job at peterborough...and his trophy cabinet is overflowing with winners medals....

lets get him in, Clear out this seasons deadwood, ready for next seasons deadwood ,Makes a lot of sense that to me

NOT

he has done a fantastic job at peterborough...and his trophy cabinet is overflowing with winners medals....

lets get him in, Clear out this seasons deadwood, ready for next seasons deadwood ,Makes a lot of sense that to me

NOT

And you all know that Jim Gannon would want to come here do you

I think Gannon has a big attitude problem especially with club directors , hence why he hasn't stayed at the last 2 clubs.

Not convinced he is suitable for us !!!! but would probably offer more entertaining footy than Penny.

Edited by losesome

Nope his not. A year ago I wouldnt have wanted him anywhere near. However we have tried up and coming managers, established lower division managers, and ex-club legends - all failed.

Might as well get someone in that will break some balls. At least Gannon knows how to spot a lower league player and develop youth. Two things which everyone on here constantly bangs on about.

We are unfortunately in a situation where we have to bring in a manager whom our fans might have heard of, and someone who has some reputation for bringing success. Gannon, rightly or wrongly, would convince at least a few not to rip up thier season ticket application forms....

i havn't once mentioned him being a hero what i said is that he has had a miserable season..Which he has and i just hoped that it turned around a little..that's all as for not being here next season ..well let's wait and see...i belive that he should be here to finish of the job.

Interesting debate this - if the upturn in performance continues and we start to play with a little more attacking edge and start to score a goal or two, then does that mean that maybe, just maybe, DP has turned the corner?

Do we forgive and forget the dross that has been served up for the most part this season and give him the chance to take us forward next season?

For me it is first and foremost about the way we have been set out to play this season - too defensive by half, too many players out of position, too many carrying injuries - and the net impact of that is a team that was losing too many games, and losing confidence.

Recently we have seen a change in attitude and approach - and the results are starting to come - albeit we still look fragile and nervous.

MK Dons - a totally winnable game if we play like we did at Huddersfield - one step nearer to safety and the difficult decision for TTA.

It's a tough one. :huh:

It's a tough one. :huh:

I just dont think it is anymore... 10 games or so it would have been, however the damage has already been done. Even if we play like Barca for the last few games and survive comfortably, too many passionate Oldham fans have already 'switched off' towards anything to do with the club until he has gone.

Its gone beyond personal. We have got to the point where the only hope of selling more that about 50 season tickets is to make a change.

People can point to what happened with Ronnie and the fact we shouldnt have changed but this is afr worse than that. The owners hand has been forced already. Not sacking him over the last few games was the right decision, however I feel shaking hands and "thanks but no-thanks" at the end of the season is now the only viable decision for this club.

I just dont think it is anymore... 10 games or so it would have been, however the damage has already been done. Even if we play like Barca for the last few games and survive comfortably, too many passionate Oldham fans have already 'switched off' towards anything to do with the club until he has gone.

Its gone beyond personal. We have got to the point where the only hope of selling more that about 50 season tickets is to make a change.

People can point to what happened with Ronnie and the fact we shouldnt have changed but this is afr worse than that. The owners hand has been forced already. Not sacking him over the last few games was the right decision, however I feel shaking hands and "thanks but no-thanks" at the end of the season is now the only viable decision for this club.

Sacking a manager every other season is turning us into one of the biggest jokes in lower leagues.

DP hasn't got us results this season we dont even try against "bigger teams" and his almost distant reaction to the supports doesnt bode wel. BUT for me if we stay up he stays till xmas. Give him time to put a few things right and get rid of some signings or current players that havent had good seasons.

People have to be patient too many people now react to the slightest thing - he stands with his arms folded - we dont do this that the other - the marketing fella wears pinks shirts, TTA dont have a crystal ball. Its been a totally crap season but we cant just keep sacking managers untill we get the 1 in a 100 chance of finding someone who hits the ground running. Taggert,Moyes, Wenger, Royle all given time. Give DP a stay of execution till next xmas if we are still struggling then time to get rid.

IF we keep sacking managers everytime people say they wont buy a season ticket we may as well choose the manger by a ballot poll or something - we as fans need to support the team thru thick and thin. Lets all get our toys back in the pram and see what next seasons brings us and get behind the team

Im no "penny inner" and v Tranmere at home i wanted him gone but it wont do us anygood to keep hiring and firing

Edited by bluehobbit

To be honest I was a DP fan until the last 5 games and then i lost confidence in him and thought he had a lack of ambition and didnt seem to be able to turn any game around,

but recently Ive gained my confidence with him again, its a bit early on to say i trust him again but im on my way, the last couple of matches, hes shown that he can change things around and that he can make the crucial decisions instead of changing like for like and sticking to 4-4-2,

he showed this by changing formations to match the team we play and bringing on players that will give us something more than just a fresh pair of legs,

so ive gone from liking him, to wanting him sacked, to now unsure, next few games crucial for me as to wether i want him here next season or not

To be honest I was a DP fan until the last 5 games and then i lost confidence in him and thought he had a lack of ambition and didnt seem to be able to turn any game around,

but recently Ive gained my confidence with him again, its a bit early on to say i trust him again but im on my way, the last couple of matches, hes shown that he can change things around and that he can make the crucial decisions instead of changing like for like and sticking to 4-4-2,

he showed this by changing formations to match the team we play and bringing on players that will give us something more than just a fresh pair of legs,

so ive gone from liking him, to wanting him sacked, to now unsure, next few games crucial for me as to wether i want him here next season or not

I am going to bokmark this, and post to the next person that says Latics fans are fickle...... :wink:

:grin:

I can say :grin: because I too wavered for a game, thinking maybe he has to go , but I think I always said at least the season.

I agree with Bluehobbit, lets ee how things are at Christmas. DP strikes me as someone who would change things. Lets give hima full off season to recruit last season was way too md to recruit peoperly.

In reality we should not be looking till the end of next season, but you knida know don't you.

In truth, now Penney has got the majority of his players back from injury, and swapped a couple, we have been able to grind out results.

Edited by singe

Yeah, I kind of fall into this category now a bit. I'm always willing to give a new manager a go, but I think we all agree there's been stages where it's been the worst football for decades this season. However I now think (considering how bad it was) there are signs of movement in the right direction.

Maybe if Penney stays in charge, there's a chance this could carry onto next season?

Appointing Gannon won't guarentee immediate success, because it will take him an age to put his mark on the club, (which it also is taking Penney) and we''ll be back to square one; rebuilding. Appointing Gannon also doesn't guarentee we'll sell more season tickets - regular season-ticket holders have to give nothing in blood to say they will buy one for the following year.

For me it all depends on what we do for the rest of the season - even after safety is achieved, I hope we carry on to try and win every match, like we have been doing recently and only blood youngsters when necessary. Penney's been treated like s**t by our fans and I think has been entitled to give a bit back through the press, but no one can deny he's stuck to his task and it hopefully looks to have turned the corner. A good end to the season, I would hope, would mean fans and manager could wipe the slate clean and both feel positive for next season.

Not sacking him over the last few games was the right decision, however I feel shaking hands and "thanks but no-thanks" at the end of the season is now the only viable decision for this club.

Couldn't have worded it any better myself mate! Not a Penney hater by any stretch but the damage has already been done, and is un-repairable...

You make is sound like he is some sort of maligned hero. What rubbish. He has got himself into this situation by 40-odd games characterised by negative tactics, poor signings and inept team performances, bereft of any drive or ambition.

As for this 'introducing raw youth' - well, I have to say IMO he stumbled upon Stephens by utter chance, when it so happened that all his array of identikit defensive midfielders were injured and he was the only option, Kirk Millar suddenly appeared and has dissapeared just as fast, and Tom Eaves is just a young, and currently rather pointless, version of Chris Porter. Not exactly revolutionised our team with kids has he?

I can take people being positive about this moderate up-turn, but to portray Penney as some sort of martyr with a tide of positive thoughts behind him, well is both delusional and wrong. If you dont have a clue what you are sodding doing and change things every game, well then once or twice in 46 you are going to get it right.

He's not going to be here next season. Its suicide for this club to keep him no matter what happens over the next six games. Too little, too late.

+1 here.

The recent 3 games are very much the exception; not the rule as the rest of the season has showed.

I’ve said a number of times that Stephens’ emergence is more luck than judgement from DP; it was purely as case of needs must at the time – it’s been down to DS for seizing the opportunity; not a case that DP was holding him back ready to unleash him.

I don’t rate DP as a manager; as IMO his tactics are poor and his quality of signings have; in the main; been poor too. I have however looked to defend him on here recently; mainly due to the levels of personal abuse directed at him & a great amount of utter nonsense being posted. I think he is a poor manager – but that shouldn’t open the flood gates to get overly aggressive & personal with the abuse levelled at him. He’s gotten to point to where he cant do right for wrong with a growing majority – as has been said earlier on in the thread – if the team play rubbish its down to him & not the players; if they play well; its not down to DP; its because the players did it. It’s got to the point where the sensible decision for all concerned is; once the season is over; for both parties to go their separate ways as it just hasn’t worked out.

Whether that happens or not; time will tell………

He’s gotten to point to where he cant do right for wrong with a growing majority

IMO they're a minority. Most latics fans I know don't bother with this message board because all you get are fickle fans who post personal abuse towards players/management.

IMO they're a minority. Most latics fans I know don't bother with this message board because all you get are fickle fans who post personal abuse towards players/management.

Fully agree - most dont even bother posting on here either as all they get is smartarse comments from the "big dozen" posters who seem to think that they hold council on the future of our club, without some of them (you) even going.

Remember that through thick and thin means just that.

Not true Mr Flytrap - there are many of us on this board who care passionately about the club and who never post personal abuse towards players or management. I accept that at some time or other all will question a specific individual's contribution but personal abuse? Nah. :huh: