Striker option for next season.....

Just read the Southend website preview for tomorrows game and they have a piece about Scott Vernon as he is coming back to where his career started.

It mentions that he is out of contract this summer.

Does enybody else think he could do a job for us next year?

Just read the Southend website preview for tomorrows game and they have a piece about Scott Vernon as he is coming back to where his career started.

Quite honestly, no.

Could he do a job for us next year- Yes. Do I want him here, no. Vernon has struggled to get into the Colchester team and while he would be a useful reserve (especially if we have similar injury problems) I don't think I'd want him as a first choice. I think we'd be much better off, getting Guy/Nardiello/both and using some of our youngsters as back ups- Lewis, Eaves, Brooke, Smalley and if that's not working look for a short term replacement on loan.

Yes, for the simple reason pav aside, he is better than what we have got. Would get 10 a season easy

Probably, I always liked Vernon but it was the right move to trade him for Wellens. I'd have him back but we'd need another striker on top of that because i'm not sure he could be relied upon to provide us the goals we need as our main striker. Without paying too much attention to how he's done at his respective clubs. I haven't really heard much about him ripping up any trees apart froma half decent speel with Blackpool when he first joined. Like I say, he'd do ok but I don't think he's the solution to our search for a 20 goal striker.

edit: Just to add I think we need 2 strikers this summer. Guy has done enough to earn a contract but there may be other options out there who are just as able and it all really depends on money. Then we need one other to give us 3 senior players to choose from up front and the rest can be supplemented with Eaves, Lewis and Brooke. Obviously Parker must go.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Whahey! Its a new record for the earliest thread about Scott Vernon returning to Latics - normally at least June before we get these!*

*for the record though, I think he could still do a job for us, and probably is in our price range. I think people are being a little dismissive of him. Generally always played in average teams and always found the net. Would get the same amount of goals as Paw if he layed the same amount of games - however not too sure as to how the rest of his game has developed.

Vernon is decent enough and if we needed a third striker I'd snap him up.

I don't think we do, though. Brooke, Eaves, Alessandra and maybe Smalley can all fill that role. We need a regular second striker, Guy or someone else (decent as Guy seems, I'm not even sure he's the answer).

decent as Guy seems, I'm not even sure he's the answer

You know what, I think that also. I don't know whether it's the perennial sand-kicked-in-my-face way that I roll these days, but I get a feeling we'll sign Guy, then watch as he reverts to his usual 1-in-8 ratio if we're lucky. I hope he proves me wrong (should we sign him), but can't see it.

Depending on how they perform in pre-season I'd send Eaves, Brooke and Allessandra out on loan for the start of the season, get them some first-team action and see how they fare.

Abbott has to be a starter but he needs someone who is going to do all the ugly work upfront, Abbott has done it well this season, but someone with a bit of pace and an eye for goal will help Abbott concentrate on his shooting abilities that he does have.

Vernon wouldn't work alongside Abbott IMO. I'd consider Nardiello in the summer, seemed to link up really well with Abbott in his short time here, injuries are a concern though.

I'd also try and go in for Michael Stewart on loan from Man Utd, seen him a couple of times against our reserves playing on the wing, he's battered our full-backs time after time, football thats pleasing on the eye. Not 100% sure which side he plays on but he good be a very good addition if we could get him.

christ another vernon thread, now i could understand it to a certain point if he was any bloody good but every seaon this gets rolled out and if he was any good he would have progressed to a better level than we are or where when he was with us.

ask yourself 4 questions before another vernon thread appears

is he going to score enough goals in a season to get us promoted?

is he good enough to take us to the next level?

has he done anything of note since leaving oldham for pastures new?

do you think we should re-sign him because he scored a winner against city and you consider him a legend for that one goal?

if you answered yes, yes , yes, yes then slap yourself in the face, go to the game and watch gregan put him in his pocket and slap yourself in the face again

oh and if he scores his obligatory consolation goal at boundary park then that means our defence was crap and he had at least 4 chances before.(if he scores then we will be 3-0 up at the time and we all know that never happens)

this should be kept at the top of the page at all times so we dont have to go through it every season.

good night, hopefully good day tomorrow

if he makes me eat my words then I will be on tomorrow to post the get my coat icon :grin:

oh and if he scores his obligatory consolation goal at boundary park then that means our defence was crap and he had at least 4 chances before.(if he scores then we will be 3-0 up at the time and we all know that never happens)

if he makes me eat my words then I will be on tomorrow to post the get my coat icon :grin:

This is the thing though isnt it... he will probably play a stormer tomorrow, and then the 'get vernon back' bandwaggon will be in full tilt yet again....

The problem is (as always) that there is only a few strikers our fans have ever heard of (Guy, Nardiello, Vernon, Clarke, Hefferlump, Dagnall, Jevons, Bishop), there will probably be thread on us signing them all over the summer, however we will probably sign someone our fans have never thought about...

dont want him back but he and Scott Spencer would be joint 2nd top scorers with 4 each this season. Guy, Smalley and Hazell on 3 says it all.

I believe Dale Stephens has replaced Sheehan as our mian provider of assists :grin: .

Edited by opinions4u

• 2 weeks later...
Vernon should never have been let go in the first place

We got Richie Wellens as part of the deal...Vernon for Wellens? Every day of the week.

That said as for striking options next season....I doubt we'll have a plethora of great options but I'd definitely consider signing Tresor Kandol, he has his critics but he can score goals. I reckon him and Abbott would work well. He's surplus to requirements at the moment and I doubt they'll be too much competition for his signature (other than the usual Walsall, Tranmere, Carlisle, etc). He's not out on contract but Leeds don't want him. Maybe get him on loan for a season or permanently for a nominal fee.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore